Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #4576
Crashalott
Super Contributor

View Crashalott's Gallery26
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (7)

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
14 below Gotta be crazy or frozen hope you still thinking about it thats just to cold
Well i couldn't resist doin the maiden anyway.
Crash

Crashalott
Old 02-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #4577
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

I got called off work early because of a winter storm warning of 3-6" of snow in 24 hours. I wake up this morning with nothing on the ground, clear skies and no wind.

Wish I would have stayed up finishing up aleroins on the sow stick instead of watching netflix.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #4578
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
I got called off work early because of a winter storm warning of 3-6" of snow in 24 hours. I wake up this morning with nothing on the ground, clear skies and no wind.

Wish I would have stayed up finishing up aleroins on the sow stick instead of watching netflix.
We would never have work called for that would be a normal small storm for us.

I just spent 2 hrs just getting paths made so we could get the vehicles shoveled off I do mean shoveled off. Still have to go out and dig out the wife's car, and move vehicles around to finish we got over 34 inches and they only have one lane plowed on my street.
Hoping they get the rest of the road opened up we are on a country road that is narrow to begin with.
Oh ya no flying for me for a while.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winter storm 001.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	166172

Name:	winter storm 003.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	166173

Name:	winter storm 004.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	166174

Name:	winter storm 005.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	166175

Name:	winter storm 006.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	166176

Name:	winter storm 007.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	166177
Old 02-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #4579
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Newport News Park R/C Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (63)

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
We would never have work called for that would be a normal small storm for us.

I just spent 2 hrs just getting paths made so we could get the vehicles shoveled off I do mean shoveled off. Still have to go out and dig out the wife's car, and move vehicles around to finish we got over 34 inches and they only have one lane plowed on my street.
Hoping they get the rest of the road opened up we are on a country road that is narrow to begin with.
Oh ya no flying for me for a while.
Wow!

2012 SEFF Night Bowling Champion!
Old 02-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #4580
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

oh man!!!!! compared to you guys,NJ got a dusting......hope you get everything dug out safely and take it slow john. we're not as young as we used to be.

i went out with my 2 boys[21/22year old] and dug out several neighbors with the new snowblower,shes a beauty and throws the 12 to 15inch snow real far. after that was finished my wife washed and i dried our 3 little dogs who were getting to grimy to enjoy. now it's tv,rest,eats,and maybe some work on the bot......maybe...maybe not.

again gramps,take it easy and let the snowblower do all the work.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 02-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #4581
hangingon

Club: no clubs
Friends: (4)

Nice temp high 50's & sunshine a little more wind than the weather report showed. I went to fly my slow stick and it ended quick the prop came off and I had no extra o rings with me. I think God for the gilde ability of the slow stick I had a great landing and it might just be a sign to keep it grounded with the wind gust.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #4582
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by stuart View Post
oh man!!!!! compared to you guys,NJ got a dusting......hope you get everything dug out safely and take it slow john. we're not as young as we used to be.

i went out with my 2 boys[21/22year old] and dug out several neighbors with the new snowblower,shes a beauty and throws the 12 to 15inch snow real far. after that was finished my wife washed and i dried our 3 little dogs who were getting to grimy to enjoy. now it's tv,rest,eats,and maybe some work on the bot......maybe...maybe not.

again gramps,take it easy and let the snow blower do all the work.
Thanks Stuart just finished up glad i have that blower even if it gets used twice a year paid for itself this one storm.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #4583
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

glad to hear you done,as for me,my mussels are acking. i should have taught my boys how to use the blower sooner,but i have to much fun.

figured i'd show you the generator shed,but no close up shot since i don't want to go back there..lol.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 047.jpg
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	166186

Name:	Picture 048.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	166187

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 02-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #4584
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Went all out with the shed Stuart that is nice. Ya i concur every muscle in my body aches Nice hot shower and a little muscle rub be good as the day before the storm.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:32 PM   #4585
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

I hear boston was looking at over 2 feet. Stay safe out there gramps.

And I normally wouldn't call off of work either. It was the 60mph winds and rain we got at 2pm on a Friday. Kinda kills the mood when your climbing telephone poles .

We get our storms too. We've already had over 52" for the last month, and were just coming out of quite the freeze. Our high for the year so far is 45 and that happened yesterday. We oughta to be about 45 every day.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #4586
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Ya hayofstack good idea not to be climbing poles in the wind and rain if it can be helped. That tends to be on the dangerous side of work.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:14 AM   #4587
dgjessing

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assoc.
Friends: (0)

The older I get the less I like winter... Next time I move it's going to be south .

Great flying this morning! Pretty much no wind, no snow on the ground, about 34 f or so. Went through 12 batteries with the NutBall and the low wing 40" foamie. Got a couple of "nice flying" comments from much more experienced pilots .

Dave
AMA #56519
Old 02-11-2013, 01:12 AM   #4588
rreid7

Club: AMA #987422

Little or no wind here too this morning, temps in the upper 20s to mid 30s, sunny and no snow. Amazing really, since the wind was absolutely howling yesterday. I was ready for it though and got a bunch of batteries charged. Flew everything in the active fleet at least once, from the UM P-51 to a maiden flight of the electrocuted Great Planes Decathlon 40. Best flying day since early December.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:36 AM   #4589
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 

I tried to fly today and, for the first time in recent memory, failed. It was gusting 40+ and just overwhelmed my planes.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:47 AM   #4590
hangingon

Club: no clubs
Friends: (4)

No flying here in my part of Ga. rain & wind for the next 4 days and if the weather report is right and doesn't change rain changing over to snow showers sunday. I did order a indoor heli so I'll be flying indoors just not with a plane.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #4591
Crasher

I fly my small electrics year around here in Michigan! Last weekend was no exception. I was up at my son's farm and I was was having my first cup of coffee in the morning, it was 4 degress below zero (f), sunny, and about 6 inches of new snow on the ground that fell during the night. After I finished my coffee, I fired up the old Farmall tractor and cleared our 100 ft long driveway and then did the neighbors as well. After all of this, I went in the house, and warmed up with a second cup of coffee. By this time, the temperature had warmed up to +10 degrees above zero and no wind--time to fly my old Yard Stick! Yard Stick quickly left our plowed driveway and headed for the sky, but at this time, the sun was warming the air up and a fog appeared. I don't ever remember flying in a winter fog before, so I decided I better keep Yard Stick a bit closer to not loose it in the fog. After about 10 minutes of great flying, I noticed that I had to add more and more throttle to maintain altitude and air speed. I thought that perhaps the cold temperature was having an effect on the electronics or battery. I decided I had better land it in the cleared driveway rather than an uncontrolled landing in the deep snow in the fields. After a perfect landing in the driveway, I was surprised to see that ice had formed on the leading edge of the propellor and wing! I chipped most of the ice off of the leading edge of the wing before I decided that I had better get a couple of photos of this! I have emailed my flying buddies these two photos and they have never seen any ice like this on their airplane propellers before! Have you? Keep 'em flying, Crasher

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_1269.jpg
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	166234

Name:	100_1270.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	166235
Old 02-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #4592
Flywhat2
One hitch AE1 -- USN

Default Winter Fog flying

Hey!! great account. hats off to you flying in winter cold!! "Starting up the old Farmall" sounds familiar. I finally had to sell my 1946 Cub which hauled alot of logs and plowed a lot of snow over the years.

I flew in some fog here in NYS a few weeks ago but it wasn't cold enough to freeze on my foam "Stick". Good to hear someone else is flying, we need all the practice we can get, huh?

Cheers and "Keep flyin' "
Flywhit

Thats a Lockheed P2V-6 Neptune with MAD gear tail and observation nose. That nose was a great place to ride and take pics,touring the Med !!
Old 02-12-2013, 03:20 AM   #4593
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

I've flown quite a bit at freezing and below freezing temps, but I have never had the prop ice up like that. I wonder if it has to do with humidity or maybe the fog. Utah has virtually no humidity and we very rarely get iceing caused from fog.

Very interesting though crasher. Could have turned into a model air crash scene investigation fiarly easily .
Old 02-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #4594
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Heya crasher
Where in Mi. do you live?
I am in the Rose City, Mio area
I fly in the cold weather all winter here at home and i have never had a
prop or a wing ice up. That is the first i have heard of that.
I can see it on the prop in your pic. but not on the wing.
Good report
Crash

Crashalott
Old 02-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #4595
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
I've flown quite a bit at freezing and below freezing temps, but I have never had the prop ice up like that. I wonder if it has to do with humidity or maybe the fog. Utah has virtually no humidity and we very rarely get iceing caused from fog.

Very interesting though crasher. Could have turned into a model air crash scene investigation fiarly easily .
I think you got it haystack, the fog must be the culprit that caused it.
Crash

Crashalott
Old 02-13-2013, 10:51 PM   #4596
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

View CrimzonRider's Gallery18
Friends: (14)

4" Snow fell yesterday! (thats a lot for flyover country) 50deg. Today and snow is gone. Crooked 6ft Snowman fell over, my niece is almost in tears.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:52 AM   #4597
gramps2361
Community Moderator

I had the best weather for flying in a long time. Big puffy clouds against a blue sky little to no wind, and the sun when it shined on you it warmed ya right up.

I found this out when I went out for lunch to bad I had to go back to work.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #4598
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

20 degrees yet to fly for 3rd day was too much. Just after sunrise way too windy gusting 20 mph for my small Archer.

Back out of the store, other drug store side yet to open mostly vacant couldnt stand it up she goes abit windy weather. Strong headwind launch was swift, 2/3 throttle just to make headway, downwind swift and a blast tailwinded rapidly enjoying the added speed.

Flew brief period as eyes watering from cool blast, gloved kept the fingers comfortable.

Now the landing, lowered throttle near deadstick lowering nose should handle things, Nope snapped backwards, fortunately some height max throttle recovered.

This time kept just below half throttle and nosed into the wind, things held, nearing deadstick but close to touchdown wanted to rise, it froze and gently landed at last on pavement.

Pulled it off able to survive the rest of the day, feeling less withdraw. Lucky!
Old 02-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #4599
dgjessing

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assoc.

When I left for the field this morning it was overcast but 39 f with virtually no wind. By the time I got there these giant snowflakes were coming down heavy, but still no wind so I went ahead and flew. Kinda fun . With any luck I got some good on-board video of flying in the "snow storm" (will find out this afternoon). After several touch-and-gos I had 1/4" of ice built up on the underside of the wing (spray from the wheels on the wet grass). Chipping that off made the plane fly a lot better! I'm about ready for springtime .

Dave
AMA #56519
Old 02-15-2013, 10:49 PM   #4600
Crasher

Hi Crashalott! Thanks for your comments on my winter flying here in Michigan! I live in Warren but I fly at my son's farm at Silverwood, MI. I know and love the Rose City and Mio area; I spent some time in your area riding off the road motorcycles and snowmobiles years ago! I am planning on going to Toledo in April for the annual model airplane show; are you going? If so, we'll try for a "eyeball" chat! Happy flying, Crasher

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies

Tags
flying , weather