Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-10-2013, 01:52 AM   #1
nova801428

Friends: (0)
Default So many lipo chargers!

I've been out of the flying scene for a couple years. I'm starting back and need a new charger. I used to have the original Triton charger from Electrifly. I have never balanced a lipo battery but I think it would be a great feature. Can anyone give me advice on a new Charger? I'm not kooking for an el cheapo piece of junk. I would only charge up to 3s Lipos. Maybe some nihm/nicd. I dont care about charging more than one battery at once. I would prefer ac and dc hook up. Should I just go with the new Triton? Thanks!
Old 02-10-2013, 02:17 AM   #2
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

View CrimzonRider's Gallery18
Friends: (14)

sub-d....Im kinda in same boat(need bigger & better charger) Lots of guys swear by those CellPros...lil pricey, though you might not need another one....ever.

http://www.quantumhobby.com/FMA-Cell...40A-EC5-MC.htm

but been looking at this one......

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...e-charger.html

not bad for $90 + shipping

cr
Old 02-10-2013, 02:22 AM   #3
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

I just bought a power lab 6 and I am falling in love with it. Takes a little while to learn it, but it is not that bad. Lots info out there to help a new user of this charger out. Wish I had just saved up from the beginning and bought one of these.
http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...o-PowerLab-6_2
Old 02-10-2013, 02:30 AM   #4
rags

Look at the Hyperion chargers. AlleRC.com.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:02 AM   #5
nova801428

Which Hyperion charger would you recommend?
Old 02-10-2013, 05:29 AM   #6
Turner
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

If you don't need a lot of power and really want the simplicity of a single unit you can plug into AC then this is hard to beat. I've been using one for three years with no problems. Always finishes at 4.2 volts per cell. Occasionally one might be 4.19 or 4.18. I don't think I've ever seen anything else and the numbers agree exactly with my volt meters and cell checkers.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/skychb6chdup.html

If you don't mind spending a bit more Hyperion makes a couple with an AC cord and a little higher output. AlleRC has a good price now on the HYPERION EOS720I NET 3 AC/DC which will put out 20A Max with 90W (AC) or 150W (DC). That's 7 amps on three cells with AC.

I think I would try one of these if I was buying another AC charger.

http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-eos72...de-p-5655.html

If you are ready for separate charger and power supply the CellPro line cannot be beat for performance, reliability, and customer support.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:52 AM   #7
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by nova801428 View Post
I've been out of the flying scene for a couple years. I'm starting back and need a new charger. I used to have the original Triton charger from Electrifly. I have never balanced a lipo battery but I think it would be a great feature. Can anyone give me advice on a new Charger? I'm not kooking for an el cheapo piece of junk. I would only charge up to 3s Lipos. Maybe some nihm/nicd. I dont care about charging more than one battery at once. I would prefer ac and dc hook up. Should I just go with the new Triton? Thanks!
You can't go wrong with the Cellpro charger line. One good unit is the Cellpro 10xp unit. Several club members have this unit and are very pleased with it. Be sure to buy the dongle that allows connecting this charger to your computer.
http://www.revolectrix.com/10xp_description_tab.htm

I've got the Cellpro Powerlab 8 charger, and have been using it now for near two years, charging many of those A123 battery packs, including charging two model battery packs of 6S4P A123's with a charging current of 30 Amps.

This charger handles this high charging rate with zero issues.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 02-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

I love my Cellpro but, personally, I would have paid the extra 50 cents for a second button on the thing.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #9
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Club: www.rmvc-cumulus.nl

Most chargers can do max x amps and max y volts, but not both maxes simultaneously. Power (in watt) is the limiting factor then. Say charger X can do a maximum of 20volt, a maximum of 10ampère and a maximum of 100watt. To charge 10A at 20V would recuire (at least) 200W. But the charger is only 100W. Current has to go down to 5A (5A×20V=100W).

The higher the number of cells, the lower the maximum charge current!

Check out these very handy and instructive calculation tools for charger and it's power supply.
The Script Asylum
-> RC calculations
-> electrical
-> Lithium battery chargers
en
-> Charger calculator

(zeer handige, leerzame en nuttige site voor e-volk, loop maar eens door de diverse menu-itmes, toevoegen aan favorieten?)

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
diy motor tipsDrive Calculator
diy motor groupCumulus MFC
Old 02-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #10
Panther

Originally Posted by Turner View Post
If you don't need a lot of power and really want the simplicity of a single unit you can plug into AC then this is hard to beat. I've been using one for three years with no problems. Always finishes at 4.2 volts per cell. Occasionally one might be 4.19 or 4.18. I don't think I've ever seen anything else and the numbers agree exactly with my volt meters and cell checkers.

WoW that first link you gave, it is on special atm. 42% saving. That would be a great buy.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
nidly

Originally Posted by nova801428 View Post
Lot's of folks don't like the way the Tritons (2EQ) will "charge forever" after the pack is full. Since you have the original you'll get along just fine with either the EQ or the 2EQ. You've told us 3s and single pack , but one part info you left out was your desired current.

There really are so many lipo chargers , but narrowing down the power requirement is a good start. The EQ has only about 5 amps and the 2EQ has 8 amps. This narrows it down some?
Old 02-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #12
nova801428

If you don't mind spending a bit more Hyperion makes a couple with an AC cord and a little higher output. AlleRC has a good price now on the HYPERION EOS720I NET 3 AC/DC which will put out 20A Max with 90W (AC) or 150W (DC). That's 7 amps on three cells with AC.

I think I would try one of these if I was buying another AC charger.

http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-eos72...de-p-5655.html

If you are ready for separate charger and power supply the CellPro line cannot be beat for performance, reliability, and customer support.
I think I am going with the Skycharger from Hobbypartz. It seems like that is exactly what I am looking for.

I have noticed that my brothers Triton charges unusualy slow!
Old 02-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #13
rags

I use the Hyperion EOSO 720i Net 3 AD and really like it. 20 battery memory positions. It has internal AC and it has leads to go to an external powers source to increase the max output to 20A / 150 W.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #14
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
I love my Cellpro but, personally, I would have paid the extra 50 cents for a second button on the thing.
Which Cellpro charger do you have???

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 02-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #15
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I have the CellPro Multi4. I find navigating via the single button to be a major PITA.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #16
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

If I had The Money, I would get and use the Cell Pro Charger, But I am Retired and on a tight budget so I use good but inexpensive Chargers that get the Job Done, One of my First and Favorite Chargers is the Electrifly Charger, its not a balance charger, you have to use a Blinky with it to be a balance Charger, but its a great Charger, i use it every time I charge my Batteries, i use 3 Chargers at once, 2 Astro flight 109 chargers and the Electrifly Charger, they get the job done, they are not balance chargers, so every 3rd charge you need to use a Blinky on the Battery to balance them, the Electrifly Charger is great to take to the field to charge your 1 to 3 cell lipos with, it will charge up to a 1800mah lipo, bigger than 1800mah and it takes to long to charge up.

http://www.electrifly.com/chargers/gpmm3010.html

The incredible power-to-weight advantage of LiPo packs can improve the performance of almost any electric aircraft – and Polycharge offers an simple, economical way to enjoy it.

Adjusting charge rate to pack capacity takes only a moment and a touch on the selector switch. Choose from 250mA, 500mA or 1,000mA rates.
PolyCharge Basics
  • Description: LiPo-only fast charger
  • Power source: 11-15V DC
  • For: 1-3 cell LiPo packs
  • Charge rates: 250, 500 and 1,000 mA
  • Charge termination: cc/cv (constant charge/constant voltage)
  • Sight/Sound alerts for: start/stop charge; high/low input voltage; reverse polarity (output) and loose/broken pack connection
  • Fuse-protected against overload
  • Dimensions: 2.2 in x 3.5 in x 0.9 in (55x88x23 mm)
  • Weight: 4.35 oz (123 g)

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 02-10-2013, 10:18 PM   #17
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

The Charger that Just about everyone seems to like is the Turnigy Accucel 6, its about $ 22.00 buy two of them to charge a few batteries at a time.This will be my next charger, as its a Balance charger.

The Accucel-6 will handle LiPo/LiFe up to 6S and NiMH/NiCd up to 15S and shows individual cell voltage during charge with realtime updates throughout the charge cycle.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cessories.html

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 02-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #18
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Note that you'll need a separate power supply for many chargers (e.g. the Accucel, the CellPro.)

Old 02-10-2013, 11:06 PM   #19
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Note that you'll need a separate power supply for many chargers (e.g. the Accucel, the CellPro.)
yup you need a seperate power supply if not using the car battery, a lot of people turn their old Comp power supply into a power supply, thats what i use. here is how you do it. Its Easy

http://www.marcee.org/Articles/PCPowerSupply.htm

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...r+power+supply

Old 02-10-2013, 11:36 PM   #20
Turner
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

Charging LiPo packs with chargers that do not connect to the balance lead can burn your house down. I can't believe they still sell those things.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:48 PM   #21
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Charging LiPo packs with chargers that do not connect to the balance lead can burn your house down. I can't believe they still sell those things.
Charging Lipo Batteries Is Dangerous Period IMHO, some Chargers are safer than others, Always Charge Lipo Batteries on a Big ceramic Tile, in a Clay Flower pot or Lipo Charger Bag, Its up to the User How Safe they want to be when Charging lipos, SO BE SAFE even your cell phone battery can catch fire, alone or when Charging,

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-574...ail-at-defcon/

Old 03-13-2013, 04:03 AM   #22
starcad
Model Designer

View starcad's Gallery14
Friends: (5)

I'll go for thirds on the Hyperion, I've used this for the past year and haven't had a battery issue since I change from the Triton.

http://www.amazon.com/Hyperion-Eos72.../dp/B003YHYX72

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions