Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)
Default Parkzone Archer RTF beginner low wing?

Actually yes, a smaller entry with no bad tendencies, it's light weight a bonus for the occasional skip landing no effect on the landing gear, like that!

Nice scale looks, not a windy ship but have flown in over 10 MPH, is noticeably pushed around abit.

I enjoy deadstick landings and does well here, it greases in with correct stick.

The included transmitter with RTF does work but coarse throw on the ailerons, if your use to these is workable, but computer radios with expo suggested.

Nearing dozen flights landings quickly improving, I'm not new to low wings but really having fun with this new entry, fits right on the front passenger !

BNF Version

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/PKZ6180.html
Old 02-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Clip on my maiden flight, blew the first landing, up again and improved final touch down. Again it's light weight little effect on the landing gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXrj5...e_gdata_player
Old 02-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Here's a closer look at this pleasing scale compact model. Not shown is the correct use of pushing gently down on the tip of the antenna releases the rear clip holding the top hatch. I was incorrectly pulling up on top rear hatch for release, worked briefly but managed to dislodge the plastic catch on rear hatch, very easy epoxy fix.

Don't bend the antenna lever or can break, simply push down on the tip. Find works quite well.

A closer look at the Cool Archer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YW-d...e_gdata_player
Old 02-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Flew moments ago, light cross breeze. It will aileron roll with throttle and elevator inputs, not its strong point more for scale flight. Landing not picture perfect with cross breeze, bumped over abit then rightened, wanted to do again but leaving for work. No landing gear bends at all with any impact landings to date, unlike some of my other flyers, N I C E.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

It sure looks like a keeper.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Thanks, I agree. Light breezes daybreak. Did more than one aileron roll barely over half throttle, not its strong point and some drop, but max throws held things steady. Flew only 5 minutes or less, slight zing thru the air.

Lined up for the road landing cut power dipped the nose, in she comes, does have some definite float, went pass wanted to rise touch down stick max up at touchdown as slowed, near a skim landing. Oh my, what a way to start the day, pleased!
Old 02-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Least a dozen flights, this puppie has zero dings, no front wheel bends, intact and had its share of even dropped landings more than a bounce. Mostly due to its light weight. Other than micro flyers, challenge to ding this one.

You get what you pay for, this ones worth every cent!
Old 02-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Low winds, temp 30 degrees feels like Spring!

Third flight wind shifted for pavement road landing so went to small vacant infield sandy mostly level. Small Area to spot land after easy flight banked and killed the throttle into a light wind. Deadstick is my only skill level, downed for speed, close on the apron perhaps puff of throttle as all instinct now, pass is now 1/3 low on the entry area, kept flaring smooth touchdown, still enough room for taxi turn around.

This Ones A Solid Flyer!
Old 02-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

After several outings try to give an idea how this one flys.

Takeoffs are smooth tracks well as expected with stable tricycle landing gear.

Nearly indestructible on landings, even heavy skips and drops no bent nose gear

Scale flight it's best feature, basic aileron rolls will require throttle and elevator attention

Landings, here it shines, has some floating easier to correct on touchdowns

Flight times nowhere near the 4 minutes flyers, least 8 to over 10 minutes any throttle management. Mine are often 5 minutes as leaving for work, battery still reads 4.07!

Nice scale looks, neat antenna battery release, don't wave it a straight slight push down releases the hatch.

Only markings base where hatched, likely from over flex from hard landings even popped hatch a few times!

Doesn't like a lot of wind, but flown in over 10 MPH

Big flyer in a compact package, it's a hoot!
Old 02-24-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Again it's strongest asset is its durability. Flying recently more windy than I like, was being pushed around abit in the air. Still aileron rolls and loops. Younger bystander there to witness an abusive landing, near crash hard contact with pavement, both saying ooooh that's bad.

Disappointed went up immediately and back with a near perfect landing, he exclaimed Nice Landing. Picked it up, saying notice no damage not even bent landing gear, most other flyers would be scrap heap. But it's an A R C H E R ! Even amazes me yet..gotta love it!

Breakage todate was the original prop, so ordered two. Perhaps it's only weakness.

Infact order 3 props, keeps this one flying!
Old 03-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #11
MyronW

Club: Fallbrook RC Flyers
Friends: (0)

I inflicted major damage on my first flight- I lost it in the sun and nosed it in under power. Broke the nose off at the firewall, broke the prop, cracked the wing and broke the spar, shattered the canopy. It's all glued back together, and the new parts have arrived at my LHS.
However, it flies great! The pilot needs some help, though!

Rotary wing: mCPX V.2; Nano CPX; MQX; Ares Ethos QX 75 Quad
Fixed wing: HZ Glasair Sportsman; Slow Stick; Assassin;PZ T-28; Crack Turbo Beaver; Hangar 9 P-40B Warhawk 50 (under construction)
Radio: Taranis
Old 03-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #12
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Boy I've had that issue with other flyers, now avoid the sun like the Plague.

Sometimes you can use the transmitter to block the sun, but things do happen fast.

Try to fly in calm weather, if this is your first low wing are responsive and need attention, trimmed out this ones exceptional.

If possible a seasoned pilot will keep things alive longer.

Exciting isn't it!

Good Luck!
Old 03-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #13
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

If you've flown low wings this ones quick to get comfortable with.

This morning 25 cool degrees but the 14 MPH winds put on my gloves.

Breezy kept it in front tho able no down winds for extra safety, neatly zoomed added down winds, kept it near 2/3rd throttle actually gives best all around response, still aileron rolls into the breezes. Gusts slowed things down but if your use to this type of wind is easy.

Only concern, should be using throttle landing, but mostly deadstick lowering nose when penetration needed, came in well even near smooth touchdown, but too close to my car swerved last moments ended just on edge of snowbank. No prop damage so no foul but abit close here, just a winter flight, work will be a pleasant start, great!
Old 03-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #14
messynachos

Originally Posted by phillipmorris View Post
Clip on my maiden flight, blew the first landing, up again and improved final touch down. Again it's light weight little effect on the landing gear.

great video. how do u get the link to go in the forum from youtube. i only have one video and is called. prince albert sask rc plane cam.
the reason i watched it was i was just looking at buying this plane and stumbled across ur video. thanks. how high do u take it ? i take my firebird up to almost 1000 ft to the point i can hardly see it anymore. lol. i think i took it up close to that in my video haha. happy flying!!
Old 03-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #15
Chucksolo69

Friends: (1)

A good way to avoid flying into the sun is to keep your back to the sun and NEVER let the airplane get behind you. The rule at most club airfields I have flown is that you never let the plane fly over the pit area or in back of the flight line.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #16
MyronW

Club: Fallbrook RC Flyers

Originally Posted by Chucksolo69 View Post
A good way to avoid flying into the sun is to keep your back to the sun and NEVER let the airplane get behind you. The rule at most club airfields I have flown is that you never let the plane fly over the pit area or in back of the flight line.
This lesson has been seared into my brain! I can list several causes that contributed to my mishap:
  • Inexperience - 1st flight with any airplane
  • Impatience - I gotta fly right now!
  • Flying alone - It can't be that hard to fly this plane.
  • Zero trainer time - First airplane should have been my second airplane.
  • Sloppy sim time - nobody yells at you when you are stupid on a sim.
  • Trying to fly beyond my ability - I haven't mastered the basics yet.
  • Poor choice of flying site - too many obstacles to avoid and not enough landing space.

My Archer will be grounded for the time being. It's all fixed up and ready to go, but I've decided to step back and start over. I bought the new Glasair, and I'm concentrating on the fundamentals. I would like to find a good club and someone to coach me while I learn.

Rotary wing: mCPX V.2; Nano CPX; MQX; Ares Ethos QX 75 Quad
Fixed wing: HZ Glasair Sportsman; Slow Stick; Assassin;PZ T-28; Crack Turbo Beaver; Hangar 9 P-40B Warhawk 50 (under construction)
Radio: Taranis
Old 03-05-2013, 12:06 AM   #17
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

messynachos
Usually keep the Archer close but others as gliders flown w/binoculars otherwise out of site. It's a nice handling low wing tho compact smaller size. Love its more than durable landing wheels, as take abuse and so far mine intact.

It will fly slow as see it float in video, my deadsticks are faster as lower nose for decent airspeed more than needed, after all zero throttle. I always practice deadstick example if prop flys off etc.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:14 AM   #18
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

MyronW
Wow, low wing first entry, you were brave.

Actually I'm similar, too soon, too quick, by myself.

Your not alone, most of our flyers did the same at the start.

Sounds like your on the right track, wish I was there to help.

You'll do fine.

Welcome to RC, very addictive

BEST..
Old 03-05-2013, 12:52 AM   #19
messynachos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UwA...e_gdata_player
Old 03-05-2013, 12:53 AM   #20
messynachos

phillip here is my first plane the stratos. and this video i mad after about my tenth flight ever. i love trying to get great altitude with it and glide. maybe a glider will be a soon to be purchase
Old 03-05-2013, 04:06 AM   #21
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Nice video. Gliders were my first entry, long flight times a bonus !
Old 03-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #22
Chucksolo69

Friends: (1)

Myron, I fly in Oceanside at the Oceanside Senior Center off Oceanside Blvd and Rancho Del Oro Rd. You are welcome to come down and get help and advice from our more sesoned RC pilots.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #23
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Was drizzles yesterday but managed a brief flight, few days before managed to pop a tree, Archer came down, only wing scuff, still flys fantastic.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #24
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Fantastic, wheels still intact, perhaps it's strongest feature even share of bumpy landings.

15 MPH winds but gusty both during takeoff and landing, flown this one dozen of times so enough tome for recoveries, deadsticking it in blew way out to right, then far to the left, near 180 degree wing dip nearing touchdown, veered to right but still skimmed in.

Not a windy ship but up to pilots abilities. Sorry out of view but caught the delema inputs at start and finish, landing was more scary from my view. Made it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK1uM...e_gdata_player
Old 03-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #25
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Building breezes over 16 MPH then below 10.

Flew early today in my favored empty lot, car stopped when it saw the plane and parked. Otherwise empty swift takeoff winds building kept it in the strong breezes, still handled well fast downwind rides. Aileron rolls and brief due to winds, still fun flew least 5 minutes, deadsticked the landing, avoiding a drop off at touchdown it side slipped abit as it stopped. Took off again and returned with a near skimmed landing much better.

25 degrees, is a warm up to previous zero degree flights, Archer is a nice addition when your ready, it's a prize indeed.

Yep front nose wheel still intact, thumbs up! Losing count on my number of daily flights...

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners