Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #26
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

View guapoman2000's Gallery56
Friends: (11)
Thumbs up Hot and Humid!

Well, it sure got mighty humid and hot sooner than later, however, that did not stop anyone from RC Flying including myself!

I brought the old Airfield / FMS Bf-109 and the E-Flite Hawker Hurricane 25e and they both flew spectacular!

I flew the Bf-109 for a total of 3 flights and the E-Flite Hawker Hurricane for 2 flights. The Bf-109 sure has a torque roll to the left due to it's large 15 inch 3-Bladed propeller so, you really have to be ready when she lifts off ! The Hawker Hurricane 25e by E-Flite has no such characteristics what-so-ever!

I believe the last time I flew the Airfield / FMS Bf-109 was at the Tampa Electric Fun Fly late last year and it crashed because I inadvertently selected the WRONG switch for Main Gear Retraction, I instead selected the Trainer / Bind button and the model was just too close to the ground and did not recover in time. Last Thursday, I finally made the necessary repairs! I will still continue for cosmetic work in the future. My Spektrum DX7 has the Gear Retract switch on the Left and the Generic 2.4G Radio for the Bf-109 is on the Right!

A few pictures as usual.

The Bf-109's Canopy fell off on the first take-off and I will take this opportunity to install the better Pilot that these Airfield / FMS / BlitzRC models are coming with! The Bf-109 flew open cockpit!!

Old 07-08-2012, 12:33 AM   #27
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up Enjoying my E-Flite Hawker Hurricane 25e!

Guys,

Bringing this thread to Bass Tax and Reality, I am posting these fantastic high resolution pictures from the one and only David Hart (Dwhart24) who is the official photographer for at least one RC Magazine (FLY RC) and one of the official photographer's for the TOP GUN, BIG GUN, BIG WARBIRD etc...etc....

You can view David Hart's Work at:
http://find.flyrc.com/march-2012-0

and...
http://www.warbirdandrcairplanephoto...file/40456854/

These were taken at our Moon Port Modelers RC Club in Titusville, Florida. Thank goodness for the Aluminum Shelters so, we can work and charge our batteries in the shade!!!

David caught me trying to perform a Bob Hover one wheel touch down in an alternative form. (Touch one wheel and then, command that model to touch the other one wheel on the opposite side). See what happen at the end!

Thanks David! (I am glad you decided to re-join our RC Club!)

Old 07-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #28
skyman

Friends: (0)

Sure is a pretty plane! How do the flaps work? On paper, they only create drag, and give you no lift, so I was wondering how they work in practice.

"I didn't crash... I just did an inverted nose landing!"
Old 07-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #29
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by skyman View Post
Sure is a pretty plane! How do the flaps work? On paper, they only create drag, and give you no lift, so I was wondering how they work in practice.
Thank you for your comment.

The flaps are a must, primarily during landing as it slows down the model very well to allow for a slower touch down. I have used partial flaps on take off and it does not need anything over 15 feet to get into the air.

Flaps do create drag but, you are changing the wing envelope to provide an under-camber airfoil and like any airfoil like this there is drag and you over come by keep some slight power.

If I allow the model to land without flaps, it will over shoot the targeted spot every time.

The nose overs are a result from too nose heavy (Center of Gravity issues) that I need to adjust in future flights.

Carlos
Old 07-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #30
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Originally Posted by skyman View Post
Carlos is right the flaps create drag but that is not all. I have never met a flap that did not also create lift. As Carlos points out they also help slow down the model.

I use them on many models but two are really fun the eFlite Beaver and the Telemaster Plus. My giant Telemaster Plus I can deploy full flaps (45 degrees) when it is 150ft up and over the end of the runway and point it almost straight down and land at my feet. It is stunning to see that huge model comming almost straight down!

Flaps are a blast!

Mike
Old 07-10-2012, 03:13 AM   #31
skyman

Cool! I was just wondering, because the top of the air foil stays flat, and the bottom increases, so I wasn't sure. Good to know it still works! I will have to play around with it on some of my models

"I didn't crash... I just did an inverted nose landing!"
Old 11-11-2012, 04:42 AM   #32
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up Flying the Hawker again!

I can attest that this model is very well designed, notwithstanding all the disappointment out there because of the delays of shipment when it was introduced. The models paint and most especially the decals are just amazing. The flight characteristics can be placed in the top category as well.

On Tuesday, November 6th, 2012 and at my RC Club here in Central Florida, I was able to fly my Hawker Hurricane 25e for two total flights. One flight early in the morning and the other flight during early evening. I was able to kill power completely and this large and almost 4lbs. model glided down without exhibiting any bad manners. (Without Flaps!)

I am glad Horizon Hobby decided to reduce the price and it is a very good deal as this is the best RC Warbird model that has come to market in a long time.

A few pictures of my Hawker Hurrican 25e during Tuesday's action:

Old 11-11-2012, 04:43 AM   #33
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up Pull Wire for Canopy!

Guys,

I got tired of pulling and compressing my Canopy section with my entire hand so, I looked in my hobby drawer (Electronics Drawer) and found a very small gauge wire wrap insulated wire that seems to be doing the trick in pulling off the entire canopy without the need of Gorilla handling the canopy with entire hand.

I just hand drilled two small holes at the rear of the canopy to insert about 1/4 inch of the wire on each side and used 5-minute Epoxy.

Oh, that is a BACK YARD FLYER Magazine from March 2003. Back then they had nice Models on the cover!

Old 11-11-2012, 04:45 AM   #34
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up Saturday morning action!

Flew my Hawker Hurricane 25e Stock again early this morning and my friend at the RC Club, Mario was kind enough to record the flight and it is the best I have managed with partial flaps!

Again, my stock E-Flite Battery pack is about 3/4 of an inch to the AFT from the hard stop up front inside the battery compartment and NO NOSE Overs!

Make sure you select FULL SCREEN!!!

https://vimeo.com/53216920

Old 11-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #35
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

Man, I should not have read through this thread. This plane looks SWEET in the air! Guapo-the pics you posted in July by David Hart are stunning. That guy is good!

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 11-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #36
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by earthsciteach View Post
Man, I should not have read through this thread. This plane looks SWEET in the air! Guapo-the pics you posted in July by David Hart are stunning. That guy is good!
David Hart is pretty much a Professional Photographer. He is the official photographer for Fly RC magazine and he has his own web site at:

http://www.warbirdandrcairplanephotography.com/

Thanks to David with his ultra skill and equipment those pictures you see of my Hawker Hurricane and other models are just super!

You can see other examples of David Hart's work at: (Pan down to last Post)
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...mpage_3/tm.htm
Old 01-30-2013, 04:47 AM   #37
MX5Seeker
Glad to be here...

Club: Georgia Mountain RC Club and Bristol Field

Well, I just picked up one of these thanks to a sale at Atlanta Hobby. Looking forward to getting it in the air.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:02 AM   #38
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Ah, north Georgia...

I almost picked up a Scimitar from them, but when I saw the shipping... $100 to San Diego! I got planes from China for $35!

Good for you, though! I hear great stuff about the EF Hurricane. Another one on my 'if-only-I-was-incredibly-rich-enough-to-have-every-plane-I-want' list!
Old 02-01-2013, 01:06 AM   #39
MX5Seeker
Glad to be here...

Originally Posted by guapoman2000 View Post
Guys,

I got tired of pulling and compressing my Canopy section with my entire hand so, I looked in my hobby drawer (Electronics Drawer) and found a very small gauge wire wrap insulated wire that seems to be doing the trick in pulling off the entire canopy without the need of Gorilla handling the canopy with entire hand.

I just hand drilled two small holes at the rear of the canopy to insert about 1/4 inch of the wire on each side and used 5-minute Epoxy.
Now I know why you did this. That canopy is a PITA to get off.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #40
Chucksolo69

Friends: (1)

I just got one of these from my local Hobby Town for $109.00!! The canopy is not hard to get off if you grasp it from the extreme rear and push it to the side. She is a great looking plane and I look forward to maidening mine this weekend. The scale rib detail on the fuse is awesome.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:47 AM   #41
pattern14
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Ah, north Georgia...

I almost picked up a Scimitar from them, but when I saw the shipping... $100 to San Diego! I got planes from China for $35!

Good for you, though! I hear great stuff about the EF Hurricane. Another one on my 'if-only-I-was-incredibly-rich-enough-to-have-every-plane-I-want' list!
Likewise......I paid TWICE the amount for postage for what the plane was worth, last time I bought something from the USA. Plus I waited 3 weeks for it as well.... The USPS must drive a lot of Porsches and Mercedes.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:04 AM   #42
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

Originally Posted by Chucksolo69 View Post
I just got one of these from my local Hobby Town for $109.00!! The canopy is not hard to get off if you grasp it from the extreme rear and push it to the side. She is a great looking plane and I look forward to maidening mine this weekend. The scale rib detail on the fuse is awesome.
After you do this many times the foam will start to get deformed. On my Wildcat I used a piece of fiber packing tape same idea that Carlos posted to get the cover off. The person that owned this plane before me had big fingers. I could tell from the wear in the foam.
I picked up a new canopy for it I couldn't stand the finger holes.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #43
MX5Seeker
Glad to be here...

Finally flew on Saturday. I had to get a few pointers on tail-dragger take offs (like full up elevator while taxing). Flew fine, but landing was an experience. Brought it in a little hot, pulled up too much, and basically stalled about 4 feet off the ground. Only damage was a broken prop, but I had no spares. Some on the way from Horizon now.

Has anyone tried a different prop with any success? 11.75 x 7e does not seem to be very common. Coult I take a 12 x 7e and clip the tips of the blade to make them flat instead of elliptical?

And on the flaps, how much deflection do you use on half and full flap?
Old 02-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #44
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

I use the 12x10 APCe with great results.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #45
21onen

Club: Ajax R/C model club

I thought I would throw in some pics of my re-painted E-Flite Hurricanes. One is Finnish markings and the other which I am working on was a Soviet Hurricane shot down by the Finns. A very unique situation where oponents were flying the same aircraft. The Finns had only 12 Hurricanes flying near the mid point of the front and the Soviets had over 3,000 Hurricanse flying more south of the front. No known interactions between opposing Hurricanes has been documented. The E-Flite is a great airplane and my Finnish one has over 40 flights in it. Hopefully this kit will be around for along time. Tero T in Toronto

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3559 (800x533).jpg
Views:	89
Size:	279.2 KB
ID:	166601   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3562 (800x533).jpg
Views:	95
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	166602   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3741 (800x533).jpg
Views:	104
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	166603   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3743 (800x533) (800x533).jpg
Views:	97
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	166604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hurricane-MkIIb-exRAF-BM959-Soviet-Tiiksjarvi-Air-Base-area-East-Carelia-captured-by-Finns-6th-A.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	166605  

But how will I learn to fly , Herr Colonel ?
The way we do everything in the German army, from the book of instructions.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #46
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 

Nice paint scheme!
My flying buddy just picked one of these up at a knock down price. It's a very nice flying model but a little advanced for him just now so I end up flying it most of the time. The only problem I find with it is that it's a bear to land without tipping on it's nose. We fly from a well used football (soccer to those in USA) pitch that gets very cut up this time of year. No matter how gently I float it in it seems to end up looking like the pic at the end of post #27.

It flies very much like I'd imagine the real one flies. It turns much better with aileron and rudder co-ordination, it has very little dihedral so you need to actively pick the inside wing up to out of a turn. It will also drop a wing if provoked. Given these scale like flying characteristics it might be a bit of a handful from someone coming from flying something like a PZ T28
Old 02-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #47
21onen

Club: Ajax R/C model club

Of the 40 flights with the plane on our regularly cut field(not too short) I tipped it 38 times and the two that landed upright was a gust of wind that put it back on its wheels. I come in slow with flaps down but I believe in needs to come in hotter. Also the slightest bit of toe-in causes the landing gear to act as brakes and does not help the situation. My poor antenae has been glued on numerous times. But overall the plane is incredibly rugged. Was my first foamy and I love it. Tero T in Toronto

But how will I learn to fly , Herr Colonel ?
The way we do everything in the German army, from the book of instructions.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #48
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Yep it likes to nose up for sure. I splayed the gear out (forward rake) on mine and that helps. Rear CG (as much as you can) helps too.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #49
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 

Glad to hear it's not just me Of 5 landing I did manage find a nice smooth bit of grass just once and she rolled along in a very scale like way, but then I nosed her over trying to taxi back despite holding full up elevator with high rate

Taking off is no problem though, tracks straight and true and doesn't nose over providing you roll the throttle on gently.

My buddy is also having the same canopy problem as most others report. H'e a little ham fisted and has already put a finger hole in the foam.

So where do you guys set the CG? I read elsewhere that it should balance on the little squares that are moulded into the upper wing surface which is how she was set for the flights so far. It seems quite nose heavy to me and is a little forward of the position advised in the manual but is where the service bulletin on the eflite web site says it should balance: http://www.e-fliterc.com/ProdInfo/Fi...l_addendum.pdf
Old 02-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #50
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

I agree - most are making a federal case about the CG - but mine is on the back of the box and it still feels nose heavy to me. I keep working back in slow steps.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Warbird Electrics