Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Beginners - Helis
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-04-2010, 01:24 PM   #1
Tom Sawyer

Friends: (0)
Default Suggest first Heli to buy for beginner?

Can anyone give some simple guidence for a first electric heli?

I have a fair bit of aero experience but my only heli experience is the Micro Twister I just bought (which flys great in the home!) and now I'm hooked on the idea of building a one.

I have seen quite a few low cost ready built helis around 100 - 150 mark but they are all smallish (500 -650mm blades).

I recently saw a Blade CP reduced from 250 down to 95 which seemed a bargain.

Should I be aiming to go larger?

Needs to be something that will fly well (stable, not into 3D yet!) and available in uk.

I've had experience of so called 'beginner' planes and these were more of a hindrance than a help. Is the Heli world similar?

What should I avoid?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-04-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

the larger the heli is the easier it is to fly dont buy the helis that have the 3 in 1 or 4 in 1 controlers, they are expensive when they go out, its best to buy a heli with seperate components, esc, receiver, gyro, because if one goes out on you, you just need to buy one item not all 3 or 4 that are intergrated into one unit.

here is a 500 TRex clone for $34.99 or a TRex 450 clone for $29.99

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...Align_Trex_500)

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...(USA_Warehouse)

motors, esc, servos, gyros are cheap enough

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 10-04-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
SHADY
Got Glue??

Friends: (4)

I started with an Eflite MCX, ten to a CP, a CP Pro and CP Pro2.
After getting pretty good at flying them right side up, I tried going inverted.....
Didn't go well.....Can you say SPLAT!!!! After doing that a few times, I sold most of them off and scrapped the others for parts and switched to planes...

When flying copters I was on pins and needles the entire time, flying planes I can sit back and relax a bit....

Confucius say: "Man who go to bed wif itchy butt, may wake up wif smerry finga."
Old 10-07-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
Tom Sawyer

Thanks-didnt realise kits could be so cheap! 80 amp ESC and 2 lipos wont be though!

Maybe 450 wont need so much? Ive already got 55am esc.

I know helis wont be easy but even if I can just learn to hover and fly around a bit I will be happy!
Old 10-07-2010, 10:39 AM   #5
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
Thanks-didnt realise kits could be so cheap! 80 amp ESC and 2 lipos wont be though!

Maybe 450 wont need so much? Ive already got 55am esc.

I know helis wont be easy but even if I can just learn to hover and fly around a bit I will be happy!
The 55 amp esc will work for the 500 or 450 size heli, i used a 30 amp esc on my 450 size heli, lipos are cheap too

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._35C_Lipo_Pack

$13.78 for a 2100mah lipo 35 C 3 cell Cheap

Certified Buyer
muebr (84%) 5 thumbs up!just purchased one plan on using the following:
TP 450-Size 2415-07T Brushless Heli Motor 3850kv 11T pinion

Hobby King 2.4Ghz Receiver 6Ch

Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack

Tpro h40a brushless esc

turnigy t9e x4

HK 401b avcs digital headlock gyro

al that+ a few other cheap things i needed 135$

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 10-07-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)
Exclamation

Hi Tom
Pleased to meet you
Your best and easiest option is to find an instructor besides the flight training having some one with knowledge to help with the setting up and trimming before flight is invaluable
Thats the hardest part normally for the novice
If not and you have to learn on your own
Heres Heli flight school and how i learned to fly with a CP PRO 6 years ago
http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html
Do use training gear until you feel comfortable operating them
http://www.helitown.com/TrainningGear.html
Get a good sim and practice, practice, practice, i like Phoenix for helis
http://www.phoenix-sim.com/welcome.htm
No 1 rule if you get into trouble cut the throttle, better to have the heli drop then thrash around
And do practice extreme caution while operating RC Helicopters as once they reach a certain size and power the rotor blades on these can damage property and inflict serious even fatal injuries if not treated with the proper respect and safety procedures
Best of luck with your heli flight training
Take care
Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 10-09-2010, 12:32 AM   #7
mSR_pilot

Depends on what you want to accomplish.

If you've never had any heli experience prior to this, then a Coaxial or a Fixed Pitch would be a good place to start. It will help teach you orientation and allow you to fly it and just have some fun. I would recommend the Novus CX or the Blade mSR to start with if this is the case.

If you have some heli experience already .... I would recommend the Blade 400 RTF for the simple fact that it's good value. It comes with everything you need, and you can find parts for it everywhere (and they're cheap). It comes with a SPEKTRUM DX6i programmable TX which is worth it alone. OR ... I would purchase an Align Trex 450.

Phoenix Sim or Real Flight are a real asset to have on hand as well.

The larger heli will provide stability as well. Do NOT get a small CP heli |(eg; 4G3/Novus CP, 4G6/Novus 125CP etc) for a first helicopter. It will hamper your learning. As a helicopter gets smaller, some odd things start happening with the way the aerodynamics interact with the heli.

DO NOT BUY A CLONE ---- You will regret it. The price looks great but either your wallet or your learning will suffer (or both!). I know wayyyyyyy too many people who have purchased those kits from HK and then dumped enough Align parts into them to build an entirely new heli. The more experienced pilots / builders have had some better success with them, but if especially if you're just starting out, avoid them like the plague!! Don't cheap out on crappy Hobby King parts either. They have good prices on batteries and they're decent enough, but most of their "in-house" stuff you get what you pay for.... I'm speaking from personal experiences.

Good Luck!
Old 10-17-2010, 03:37 PM   #8
NickMcEnjoy

Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by mSR_pilot View Post
If you've never had any heli experience prior to this, then a Coaxial or a Fixed Pitch would be a good place to start. It will help teach you orientation and allow you to fly it and just have some fun. I would recommend the Novus CX or the Blade mSR to start with if this is the case.
Totally agree.

Also, watching some youtube about this topic could be helpful.
This guy Alishanmao made many helpful video clips. Yesterday, I learned that heli pilots must move the sticks all the times to correct their heli.
He's a merchant for sure, and I am not associated with him in any way, but he provided many good advices.

Happy flying!
Nick
Old 02-15-2011, 06:06 AM   #9
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

The SYMA gyro series are 3.5 channel and include a gyro. Very easy to fly. They are also highly resistant to crash damage. I have fully tested that.

If you want a low cost micro heli for indoors, this one is a great deal. $30 including shipping at Amazon. The second link shows $20, but I don’t know if shipping is included.
http://www.amazon.com/Syma-S107-Gyroscope-Controlled-Helicopter/dp/8499000606

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 07-10-2011, 05:58 PM   #10
d12bn

Default mcpx

Get a Mcp x
Old 10-22-2011, 03:31 AM   #11
flight01
Banned

get a 4ch coaxial heli is a good choice, like blade mcp
Old 12-13-2011, 06:55 PM   #12
Blik

I would recommend the Hirobo Quark or Quark SG. I have had both and the price for the Quark has dropped and there are a lot of excellent used ones out there for sale. I know some of you think it is ludicrous to pay $300-$500(new price) for a small electric heli but this heli is so stable and the only crash damages are the cheap main blades. These helis help you build that sometimes hard to find self confidence which is needed to stay in this hobby. I have a fleet of electrics and nitros and my Quark SG is still the most fun heli to fly.

Cheers
Blik
Old 12-14-2011, 05:50 PM   #13
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Originally Posted by mSR_pilot View Post
........................DO NOT BUY A CLONE ---- You will regret it. The price looks great but either your wallet or your learning will suffer (or both!). I know wayyyyyyy too many people who have purchased those kits from HK and then dumped enough Align parts into them to build an entirely new heli. The more experienced pilots / builders have had some better success with them, but if especially if you're just starting out, avoid them like the plague!! Don't cheap out on crappy Hobby King parts either. They have good prices on batteries and they're decent enough, but most of their "in-house" stuff you get what you pay for.... I'm speaking from personal experiences.

Good Luck!
Sorry but that's a crock ! There are many out there who have bought clones ... you don't have to buy Hobby King ... there's Tarot, Titan, E-Razor, Upforce (I bought that and it's absolutely fine), CopterX etc. There are so many clones out there .....
Parts are cheap from many suppliers on ebay and also people like Xheli etc.

There are 2 advantages with the clones :

Cheap to buy and therefore investment in crashing is less.

They accept either Align OEM parts when you want to spend out or carry on with clone gear. You can slowly at your own pace upgrade or not as you wish.
It's also interesting that some items are better clone than Align ... tail belts are one, one-way bearing shafts another. But amazing thing is the better clones are 1/4 the price.

I repeat that there are many out there having bought, fly and are happy with those clones that you are so quick to dismiss. I wonder how many Heli flyers there would be today without them ? Not everyone can afford Align prices - I know I cannot.

To original poster ......... download HeliSIMRC ... its free, fully capable of using the radio you have if it has a trainer port and cable.

I don't recc'd Fixed Pitch ... think about the shrinking number of suppliers of these .. why ? They are a hang-over from the old days when we had crap mechanical gyros etc. Nowadays I recc'd learn orientation on Co-Axial then accept a painful learning curve through CP 450's ... the CopterX is a good one.... follow MikeysRC set-up videos and say hello to addiction !!

One of the best pireces of advice I'm told by others I have given - is bulk purchase parts of ebay ... packs of main & tail blades, main shafts in 10's, flybars in 10's, feathering shafts and dampers in 10's, main gears in 10's, and don't forget to buy at least 2 hex drivers in 1.5mm size ... yes 2. When you have to replace a feathering shaft - you will understand why.

I shall now wait for rain and crao to stop so I can go fly my crappy clone !! thats now a year old and STILL flying ...

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 12-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #14
hols

I'd recommend a multirotor - they are the safest helis out there. AR Parrot Copter is superfun and easy to fly. Also comes with a foam that protects you from getting hit by the prop.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #15
bubbaloo158

As of 4 days ago I had absolutely NO experience flying helicopters. The guy at the hobby store suggested the Blade mCX2 as a good start. He was so right.

After 4 days I am able to hover, go back and forth, side to side and as of today, make some pretty good, almost pin point landings (sort of)

There were a LOT of crashs, and there still are, although less frequent. The beauty of this heli is that it is extremely durable. After all my 10 foot drops, the only thing I have broken so far is a set of landing skids. The hobby shop has a complete inventory of parts for this model. The landing skids were 4 bucks.

And so... even though I don't have a very vast knowledge of this hobby, I really think that I DO have anough to recommend the mCX 2 as a great starter helicopter.

Bobby
Old 02-17-2012, 03:05 AM   #16
mpgibert

I always felt a good simulator was the best way to start out. Yeah, you don't experience the thrill of having a heli hover live right in front of you, but if you have the patience to wait in buying an actual heli and instead start with a simulator, your wallet will thank you. In my opinion.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #17
Tom Sawyer

Went for the Copter x (AE version with all metal parts) and Phoenix sim. Both in my opinion have been great as has Solentlifes suggested E-bay supplier.

Any problems I have had so far have been due to my inexperience.

I can also recommend videos on 'Helifreak' by a guy called 'finless Bob' who does tutorials on all the different aspects of Heli building, setting up and flying.

Regarding the issue of clones I would imagine few original T rex remain stock throughout thier whole life and so, just like the clones, end up as a mixture of parts anyway.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:38 AM   #18
Barrymartin

If you find the mini heli too easy i suggest you start with a 250 sized heli. that is not too big, can be flown indoors and even outdoors on easy days.
You could start with a 4 channel (not 3d).
Easy to fly, very easy and cheap to repair in case you crash it and there are lots of spare parts availible.

Regards,
Barry Martin
Old 03-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #19
jabu32
Future Expert

i would go with a mCPX

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Beginners - Helis