Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > WWI Era
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-13-2013, 12:59 AM   #201
Lucky Dog

Send a message via Skype™ to Lucky Dog
Friends: (1)

I'm also doing a repaint for a friend on his FZ Dr1. He liked VonRaben's Dr1. And yes, I'm aware that blue and white scheme is debatable, many believing it to be red and white. Never the less, he likes the blue and white version.

This is also my first attempt at using acrylic (Tamiya) paints to airbrush. So far, I like using them.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #202
trroadster

Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by waynek View Post
looks nice. my decals are inkjet printings. they were quite easy to do. even the fuselage stencils on the clear paper. try again on new paper.
What are you using to make waterslide decals? Printer type, settings, media>
Thanks
Old 02-20-2013, 02:04 AM   #203
Lucky Dog

I'm using "Experts-Choice" inkjet decal material (white), from "Bare-Metal Foil Co." sealed with a couple of spray coats of Testors Decal Fixative. I wish I had access to a color laser printer so I could use the laser paper and skip the spray fixative step (saves weight and hassle).

After the decal is in place I brush on some Micro-Sol Decal set. I'll probably seal them all as a final step with Tamiya Clear Acrylic sealer if I think It can handle a little more weight.

My printer is an HP K5400 Office Jet Printer set on best quality and glossy photo paper setting.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:31 AM   #204
trroadster

Originally Posted by Lucky Dog View Post
I'm using "Experts-Choice" inkjet decal material (white), from "Bare-Metal Foil Co." sealed with a couple of spray coats of Testors Decal Fixative. I wish I had access to a color laser printer so I could use the laser paper and skip the spray fixative step (saves weight and hassle).

After the decal is in place I brush on some Micro-Sol Decal set. I'll probably seal them all as a final step with Tamiya Clear Acrylic sealer if I think It can handle a little more weight.

My printer is an HP K5400 Office Jet Printer set on best quality and glossy photo paper setting.

Thanks. I'll look in to that. I've been trying with Testors decal paper (clear and white) on an Epson PHOTO R300. They look great coming out of the printer but soon "bleed" around the edges.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:31 PM   #205
Lucky Dog

I've read not-so-good things about the Testor's decal paper, but I've no first hand experience with it.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:37 AM   #206
Griff Murphey

Just want to add my thoughts on the Dr. 1, mine has 10 flights over four flying sessions, and having flown a Nieuport 17 and two SE-5s pretty much to destruction in my first year of flying, I have to say the Tripe is a great little plane. Very stable, circles easily, really in my opinion it is easier to fly than the SE-5. It is quite docile yet turns easily... Has VERY Little tendency to dive and stall in turns compared to the N-17 and SE. Just super stable.

The only disadvantage I see is that it is so top heavy it is just not an easy plane to land cleanly. If you look at videos of real and bigger RC ones, landing with any of them is a task.i tend to just bring her in low, stall it, and let it pancake. I have found it very easy to fly - granted I have torn up and destroyed three Flyzone micros in my first year of rc flying, I may have learned something, mainly, DON'T FLY IN WIND!

I highly recommend this aircraft. It is so easy and natural to fly it reminds me of driving a car. My only design criticism is that they should go back and put pads on the bases of the landing gear legs, rather than sticking a pole into a hole in the fuselage. I knock the Undercart loose nearly every flying session.
One more characteristic is that these things really love to dive. You need extra altitude to do a loop.
Another thing, the escapement lights up this thing like a Chinese lantern at dusk. Not so realistic, but fun semi nighttime flying!

I do agree the scheme is a bit trite, but it sure gets attention. The rudder is fragile, I agree. Your best bet with any of these little Flyzone micros is zero wind. Hard not to fly, but best not, if there is any doubt. When every landing is a potential nose over you are going to kink that fragile rudder. I have not made a 3 point landing yet, just pancakes and gentle nose-overs.

My Santa list from Flyzone/Hobbico is ANY variant of SPAD, an N-28 in Rickenbacker's colors,,DH-4, and a D-7 in lozenge. Would like to see the Albatros reissued in lozenge and natural wood fuselage, and N-17 reissued as Billy Bishop's.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > WWI Era