Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Micro Sized Electric Helicopters Discuss micro and mini sized electric rc helis in here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
wwtruck11

Friends: (0)
Default msr questions

Hello, first post here. I've got a msr and having a real problem with it maintaing a straight heading, I have to trim it all the way to the left and still have to correct it with the stick if I let go of it it will turn in circles. I'm new to helis but flown fixed wing. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,173 Times in 2,081 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (313)

Originally Posted by wwtruck11 View Post
Hello, first post here. I've got a msr and having a real problem with it maintaing a straight heading, I have to trim it all the way to the left and still have to correct it with the stick if I let go of it it will turn in circles. I'm new to helis but flown fixed wing. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.
Hi, Check your swashplate, they are pressed together and sometimes come apart, here is some great info for your heli.

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/blade-msr-tips.html

REPAIRS / IMPROVEMENTS
As is the case with all of E-flite’s & Blade’s micro helicopters, the swashplate halves are press fit together and can slowly separate over time or during a sudden hard crash. The result is an uncontrollable heli since a separated swash has the same effect as a backward and right cyclic command, the more it is separated, the more severe the effect.

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #4
wwtruck11

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
This is not the problem.........it flies level, the tail rotor seem like it should run faster to keep it going in a straight line.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

With those tiny things, check for even a hair or carpet thread wrapped around the tail rotor shaft. Also make sure the plug for the tail motor is plugged in good to the board in front.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
wwtruck11

No hair, wires all good, do the motors get weak? I bought this heli used so I'm not sure how much its been flown or if that even makes a difference.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Yes, I think I've read they can get weak. They are just tiny brushed motors, I guess. Haven't gotten there myself, I guess I don't fly them enough! Not too expensive, anyways:

Horrizon Hobby MSR tailboom w/motor

Since you say you got it used, I wonder if the tail rotor blades are, or even can be, installed backwards? I don't know if they have little tiny airfoils on those little tiny blades. I guess at that point there is even the outside chance the gyro function of the board is out, though I don't think I've ever heard of that happening. Do you have a LHS where they carry Blade stuff? Maybe they could help troubleshoot it and reduce your chances of buying parts you don't need?
Old 01-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #8
wwtruck11

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Yes, I think I've read they can get weak. They are just tiny brushed motors, I guess. Haven't gotten there myself, I guess I don't fly them enough! Not too expensive, anyways:

Horrizon Hobby MSR tailboom w/motor

Since you say you got it used, I wonder if the tail rotor blades are, or even can be, installed backwards? I don't know if they have little tiny airfoils on those little tiny blades. I guess at that point there is even the outside chance the gyro function of the board is out, though I don't think I've ever heard of that happening. Do you have a LHS where they carry Blade stuff? Maybe they could help troubleshoot it and reduce your chances of buying parts you don't need?
Its been getting progressivly worse so I should be on the right way. I've only had it about three weeks so I'm pretty much clueless as how to set it up and keep it flying right.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #9
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Well, once you get that tail rotor sorted out, I'd recommend this:

How to get the most out your MSR/X & 120SR

It's $10, but if you have a computer radio and are not a heli expert (I'm not!) it's got some educational stuff. I feel it was worth it.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #10
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Default Unofficial Blade mSR Troubleshooting Guide!

Maybe this info might help.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=165025

Old 01-25-2013, 11:19 PM   #11
wwtruck11

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Thanks for the help, I hope I found the problem. I inspected the tail motor and the housing where the wire go in the back was cracked and loose. Would that have any effect on why batteries don't last? I usually fly about 5min and charge but I can't seem to get the batteries to last very long, I got about 4-6 charges out of the last 3 batteries.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:08 AM   #12
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by wwtruck11 View Post

Thanks for the help, I hope I found the problem. I inspected the tail motor and the housing where the wire go in the back was cracked and loose. Would that have any effect on why batteries don't last? I usually fly about 5min and charge but I can't seem to get the batteries to last very long, I got about 4-6 charges out of the last 3 batteries.
I think that may be the problem, a new tail rotor motor should take care of the problem, the crack and loose housing could be causing the motor to drag and eat up battery current.

3. Will the tail hold steady without drifting?
Yes? Proceed to step 4
No? Inspect your tail motor carefully. Look for distorted tail rotor, broken tail rotor, hairs wrapped in the bearing. Adjust your rudder trim against the direction of the tail drift. If your already at the trim stops, its probably about time to get a new tail motor. Stop operation and order one, you could run the risk of overcurrent and fry your 5 in 1.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #13
hkeelljr

Friends: (1)

I just changed the blades on my Blade Scout and it wants to fly sideways. Could I be having the same problem?
Old 01-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #14
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Well, you better double check how you put it back together. Must be that since it started after you changed the blades. And without a tail rotor on the scout, it can't relate to the MSR issues above.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:39 AM   #15
wwtruck11

Well I finally got a new tail motor and it works like a charm, problem solved. Thanks for the input folks.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Micro Sized Electric Helicopters