My friend bought this little gem and said he really liked it. he brought it over and I flew it. He warned me that it comes in quick when landing. Indeed it does.
He asked me if adding flaps would be feasible. I looked it over and examined the real aircraft. A perfect candidate for flaps!
First though, it needed more channels available. So we put an AR600 in it. it slipped right in. re-bound it and set it up.
I knew we would be cutting servo pockets in the foam very close to the wing root, so I added a CF flat bar on end, as a spar to help support the wing. I cut a slit right against the fiberglass spar from gear plate to gear plate and glued the 6mm x .5mm CF spar in place. nice and strong. very little weight gain.
I used some simple cheap hxt500 servos because they are light. I placed them right behind the spar. I used a dremmel with a small router bit and taped off my area to cut. marked the bit as to how deep to go, and cut the pockets out. I used a snading stick to make a wire path to the top inside the fuse cavity. I purchased some t-28 trojan control rods at the local HS and used the aileron rods. shortened them and used some white control horns from an old ultrafly ultimate kit I'm just now building
I set it up to have full deflection be about 50°. the end result was that the plane also needed 20% down elevator in the flap mix on his Dx6i.
Now the Archer comes in like it's on auto pilot! slow and smooth. it looks like the real deal coming in for a landing. the ailerons are still very responsive. you can even take-off using the flaps and it makes for a very scale take-off!!
Now the battery has to be moved as far forward as it can go to make the CG proper. In retrospect I would try to put the servos in front of the wing spar next time as it seems there is more room to move the battery back than to move it forward. but the plane flies great with the mod like it is.