Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-04-2013, 07:22 AM   #1
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (8)
Default Frustrated ? Bl***y banks !

I have a list of gear I want ... to be ready for I when I get back home ... small bits and pieces for the models ... so I fill my cart .... click Continue ... get through to Paypal ...

Of course one of my cards as expired while I'm away ... and the new one is a few thousand km's away at home having arrived home after I left !

So like anyone would - I change to the alternative card ...

Bank declines payment.

Oh OH !! this is not good ...

Try again ...

Bank declines payment.

So I try to link another card to PP ... but PP refuses it - unknown reason.

So I have to then go to HK Chat to see if I can pay direct without PP ... ended up cancelling the order ...

Why declined ? It's not lack of funds ......... far from it. It's the detection that I am in a location that the bank doesn't trust. This is not first time ...

So now I have to think of some way to get round it ....

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 12-04-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
baz49exe
Super Contributor

View baz49exe's Gallery15
Club: East Devon Radio Control Club
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (15)

Nigel, you're not the only one !!! Here in the UK three major banks had their computers crash on Cyber Monday leaving people stranded at the tills with no money and at the same time wiping out their accounts.
There was chaos at the supermarket tills.
It's being blamed on them out sourcing their computing to India for cheapness rather than investing in solid computing back home.
You couldn't make it up.

Barry
Old 12-04-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by baz49exe View Post
Nigel, you're not the only one !!! Here in the UK three major banks had their computers crash on Cyber Monday leaving people stranded at the tills with no money and at the same time wiping out their accounts.
There was chaos at the supermarket tills.
It's being blamed on them out sourcing their computing to India for cheapness rather than investing in solid computing back home.
You couldn't make it up.

Barry
Yeh - I saw the news items on BBC World online ... unfortunately I have a RBS account ... well it's NW actually ...

When it was NW - all fine ... but after RBS took over - it went all downhill.

When I used to call the Service number - I could always tell which was RBS or NW .. and I actually had a NW service agent APOLOGISE for the RBS style they were forced to adopt !!

The big killer for me though with Mainland UK Banks - is the restriction on foreign Online transfers ... Only if you have offshore IoM or C.I can you get even a look-in for foreign action !!
But don't trust 'em ... I had a letter from UK Govt about failure to pay Taxes that I was not liable for - why ? IoM and CI banks had to disclose UK persons financial dealings to UK Govt. It still goes on today.
I was lucky - I have written confirmation from years ago that I have no UK tax liability .........

My Latvian banks - no problem ... any negotiable currency to any bank in the world ... even if you don't have such currency on account. They allow to have any negotiable currency to be agreed on account - so no need to automatically exchange when it gets paid in ... I can choose when or not to exchange.

My accounts have US$, GBP , Latvian Ls, Euros all on same account ... and full unrestricted online access ...

Now why can't the b****y UK do it ?

Rant Rant !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 12-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
baz49exe
Super Contributor

View baz49exe's Gallery15
Club: East Devon Radio Control Club
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (15)

"Now why can't the b****y UK do it ?"

Nigel, I guess that's because we are not really, and perhaps have never been, a democracy. It's all smoke and mirrors over here!!!

Barry
Old 12-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona WingNutz
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (25)

Most banks nowadays are leery of any transactions not initiated from the cardholders "home" location. It's gotten to the point where I have to call my bank anytime I travel, even over to the next state. I once went to visist family in Florida, and my debit card would not work. Had to call the bank to tell them everything was alright.

Pat Gagnon

Owner - Nico Hobbies

Your source for micro pusher jets!
Old 12-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
Yakfishingfool

Friends: (1)

Thankfully my bank cc did just that, alerted and refused an order that was made from an unusual location. Fortunately it was a fraud attempt against my amex card. It was detected, I got anew card and was not obligated to pay for the damage done. I find when I travel I let my bank know my estimated dates and rough itinerary so they do not hold back my charges. Had it happen as I drove to Florida at a gas station. A quick call and notification let them know I was traveling up and down the eastern seaboard for the next two week. Inconvenient? Yes, but it does prevent fraud!
Old 12-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #7
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I don't object to fraud checking ... had 2 payments made against one card few years back ... both in New York State .. both for near maximum amounts buying 'furniture' !!

I got call from card issuer and cleared it up ... but really was a pain as I then couldn't use the card - I travel most of the time and card is essential ...

My card issuers all know I travel extensively ...

Nigel

Old 12-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #8
AirmanAirhead
Did that tree move??

Friends: (3)

I too have had this happen, but I'm grateful for the checking and rechecking the banks do. I also try to remind myself they have a lot of people to keep track of. My world is pretty small compared to theirs. In this consumer driven world where impatience seems to rule... well, I'm just glad they check. Sorry for the frustration...

Jeff

A pre-flight check is better than a post crash analysis
Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/CaptGroovy#p/u
My Blog: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=239855
Old 12-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #9
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I think we are trending away from the original rant !!

The original was about Paypal and the bank declining a payment.

Now as I understand it - the bank can actually see the transaction details enough to verify ... Paypal makes the demand on the card account ... now what breaks down is bank auto defaults it out but it is easy enough to verify as the invoicing details are consistent with all previous Paypal demands on the account.
If it was a different shop, different address etc. etc - then I am 101% all for it.

Nigel

Old 12-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #10
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

My wife went on a trip recently, and one of the tips we learned before she went was to call your card companies and let them know ahead of time so this shouldn't happen.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #11
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I used to know a couple of guys in Scotland Yard Fraud Squad ... long story ...

Anyway - as well as explaining the Nigerian Scam ... they spoke about the oft pulled card scam ...

You go into a restaurant or shop on holiday ... you want to pay ... so they ask for your card ... they put in machine and it pays out - you lose sight of it for just a few secs literally ... you get given back card and slip ...
CHECK the card under the slip ... it may NOT be yours.

If it's not - you of course tell the guy ... he apologises, says he mixed up with another customers ... gives you your card.

But if you don't check until after leaving - maybe it's a day or so later ... too late - he's already used the card ... and probably passed it on in the same scam to another ....

So telling Card company you are travelling may not always be best !!

Nigel

Old 12-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #12
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Nigel,

Sure the wife didn't clean you out and run away with some good looking Fin? LOL

Dang frustrating indeed. I've had an issue with PP and HK before where the order kept showing unpaid even though I had a confirmation from Paypal that it was in fact paid. Seems that their system has some type of a rounding error where if it gets off kilter by one penny, it rejects or holds the order as unpaid. Had to go online chat with them on two separate occasions to show them my order was paid.

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 12-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #13
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Nigel,

Sure the wife didn't clean you out and run away with some good looking Fin? LOL
With the sort of people I know - not a wise thing to do !

Dang frustrating indeed. I've had an issue with PP and HK before where the order kept showing unpaid even though I had a confirmation from Paypal that it was in fact paid. Seems that their system has some type of a rounding error where if it gets off kilter by one penny, it rejects or holds the order as unpaid. Had to go online chat with them on two separate occasions to show them my order was paid.
I've had the delayed paid bit with HK a few months back - but since the revamp - I believe they were hacked not so far back ... it's been fine ..

No this was bank refusing to pay on PP invoicing ...

Anyway all sorted now - managed to get wife to pass new card details to me so I could update cards ... I have my 'bits' on the way ...

Large 40gr servos for my big Gasoline Cessna, new 8mm bungee, 3mm and 2mm tank tubing, 9gr servos for my twin EDF Concorde, FrSky Rx for Concorde ....

I very nearly clicked on the Spacewalker Plane .... mmmmmmm I do like that ...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ch=spacewalker

But will save that for later ... would be nice with my 15cc RCGF up front or ASP 61 ...

Nigel

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions