Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-07-2013, 04:59 AM   #1
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)
Unhappy DC-10 last passenger flight. Goodbye.

Just saw this.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/05/travel...html?hpt=hp_c3

I worked on DC-10's a while when I was A&P'ing for the airlines. Not my favorite plane to work on, but sad to see her go. Always fun working up on the patio, for anyone who knows. Still, she carries on with the freight hauling I suppose.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:50 AM   #2
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Just saw this.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/05/travel...html?hpt=hp_c3

I worked on DC-10's a while when I was A&P'ing for the airlines. Not my favorite plane to work on, but sad to see her go. Always fun working up on the patio, for anyone who knows. Still, she carries on with the freight hauling I suppose.
Brings back memories of a flight I had on the DC 10. The plane landed in Spokane, and they announced that the continuing flight to Chicago was canceled. We had to scramble to get a flight back to Milwaukee.

Some aircraft crewmen were looking at the engines of the plane we were on.

That's when I found out about the awful DC 10 crash in Chicago.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 12-07-2013, 05:58 AM   #3
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

I was in Junior High School when that happened. And we lived very close to O'Hare airport. We left ona vacation to Wisconsin that day after school, and drove right by the crash sight on the freeway. Saw helicopters landing at the Howard Johnsons. Scary stuff.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:02 AM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (8)

Was flying Singapore via Bahrain to UK on a DC10 ...

When on approach to Bahrain ... was an almighty bang and aircraft shook ... We landed and de-planed.

Sitting in the departure lounge all clutching our Transit cards - we could see guys crawling all over the tail engine.

Typical airlines - they tell you nothing ... but it was obvious by the work we could see going on - this was no 5 minute check-over and the bang sort of gave it away !!

People started pressing the desks for answers and transfers to other flights ... and finally we were all transferred to alternative flights ... myself on to one of the last remaining VC10's still doing that route.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 12-07-2013, 06:18 AM   #5
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Was flying Singapore via Bahrain to UK on a DC10 ...

When on approach to Bahrain ... was an almighty bang and aircraft shook ... We landed and de-planed.

Sitting in the departure lounge all clutching our Transit cards - we could see guys crawling all over the tail engine.

Typical airlines - they tell you nothing ... but it was obvious by the work we could see going on - this was no 5 minute check-over and the bang sort of gave it away !!

People started pressing the desks for answers and transfers to other flights ... and finally we were all transferred to alternative flights ... myself on to one of the last remaining VC10's still doing that route.

Nigel
Yeah
Years ago, I was traveling from Fargo ND on a 707. (Yup awhile ago!) I was seated on the right side of the plane, with full view of the engine right next to the window. Heard the two engines wind up on the left, then the one right by me. It wound up, spooled down, wound up, spooled down, and shut down.

Now I was wide awake. A couple of guys came over with a van full of tools. They pulled the engine cowling off, never saw so much complex stuff in my life. The mechanic walked over to the van, pulled out a big rubber mallet, and whacked a part on the engine.

The cowling went back, on, and we took off to Milwaukee with no further problems. (True story!)

DennyV
Old 12-07-2013, 06:45 AM   #6
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Yeah
Years ago, I was traveling from Fargo ND on a 707. (Yup awhile ago!) I was seated on the right side of the plane, with full view of the engine right next to the window. Heard the two engines wind up on the left, then the one right by me. It wound up, spooled down, wound up, spooled down, and shut down.

Now I was wide awake. A couple of guys came over with a van full of tools. They pulled the engine cowling off, never saw so much complex stuff in my life. The mechanic walked over to the van, pulled out a big rubber mallet, and whacked a part on the engine.

The cowling went back, on, and we took off to Milwaukee with no further problems. (True story!)
My Brother before joining Southern Air (the old renamed Air America) .. he flew with Uganda Airways ... 707's ... (Subac and Alpha Lima) ...

Alpha Lima was actually on the ground and got shot up by the Israeli commandos during the raid ...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 12-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #7
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Wow amazing. Been gone from the US here a good while. They burned a LOT of fuel.

In my AA days I remember taking the DC-10 from DFW to SEA many times to visit family. It left right after work and always had seats for non-revs.

Mike
Old 12-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

I too was there that fateful day in Chicago. Working in Park Ridge, just East of O'Hare. The black plume coming from Des Plaines still resonates. Terrible tragedy. And not to forget the Sioux falls, IA United cartwheel crash where the nation watched happened on TV. Took several flights in DC-10 and was always in awe of just how wide that really was. Kind of the wide body for the masses in its day.

In the RC world, Demon Driver (Chris) over on RCG is a master at making scale RC airliners. The level of detail is amazing. DC-10, MD-80, Convair 880, L1011, you name it, he's made it. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=dc+10

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 12-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #9
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona WingNutz
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (25)

I see MD-10s and 11s on a daily basis at Phoenix Sky Harbor. All FedEx and UPS birds.

Pat Gagnon

Owner - Nico Hobbies

Your source for micro pusher jets!
Old 12-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #10
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
I see MD-10s and 11s on a daily basis at Phoenix Sky Harbor. All FedEx and UPS birds.
Yep - they are great for cargo (range and capacity). The economics are different too. They got a bunch of 11's from AA.

I suspect they will be in use for cargo for a while but they do burn fuel pretty readily....

Mike
Old 12-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #11
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
Wow amazing. Been gone from the US here a good while. They burned a LOT of fuel.

In my AA days I remember taking the DC-10 from DFW to SEA many times to visit family. It left right after work and always had seats for non-revs.

Mike
Yeah
For those who have traveled by air on one of those giant 747's, DC10's and the Airbus planes, the first time you step inside one of these cabins, it is stunning. Then, you wonder just how in the world this giant house on wings ever gets off the ground???

DennyV
Old 12-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #12
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Yeah
For those who have traveled by air on one of those giant 747's, DC10's and the Airbus planes, the first time you step inside one of these cabins, it is stunning. Then, you wonder just how in the world this giant house on wings ever gets off the ground???
Great big jet engines. My buddy is a mechanic at AA (well I have several) and I have seen them up close and personally. They are really stunning. The fan on the 777 is HUGE.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	777fan.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	172296
Old 12-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #13
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Quite often I go on the 380's ...

To be honest since Wide-bodies came in and then they squeezed even more seats in - we are back to VC10 / 707 style cram them in cattle wagons !

Nigel

Old 12-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #14
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA

A RC friend of ours about 25 years ago, was a pilot for one of the big airlines. He flew a 747 back and forth to Japan. my dad flew copilot in a Aero Commander, asked him how he liked flying the 747, his answer was;

"The d thing is about as exciting as sitting in the corner window of an apartment."

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #15
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
A RC friend of ours about 25 years ago, was a pilot for one of the big airlines. He flew a 747 back and forth to Japan. my dad flew copilot in a Aero Commander, asked him how he liked flying the 747, his answer was;

"The d thing is about as exciting as sitting in the corner window of an apartment."
Why do you think so many Pilots also fly machines like Tiger Moths etc. ?

Nigel

Old 12-08-2013, 01:01 AM   #16
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
Great big jet engines. My buddy is a mechanic at AA (well I have several) and I have seen them up close and personally. They are really stunning. The fan on the 777 is HUGE.
On a flight back from Athens Greece a few years ago, they announced over the PA system that the 747 we were flying on was burning 60 gallons of jet fuel a MINUTE for the entire flight.

Kind of puts a different light on it, doesn't it?

DennyV
Old 12-08-2013, 01:26 AM   #17
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

On a flight back from Athens Greece a few years ago, they announced over the PA system that the 747 we were flying on was burning 60 gallons of jet fuel a MINUTE for the entire flight.

Yeah, but considering how many people and how much crap it's hauling, and how fast, it's probably still more economical than a SmartCar!

I'm working on turbines in a shop now, but I still kinda miss the airport and the planes.

What was real fun in the diesel-10 was the jump seat. In the 727 the jumpseat is a cramped affair, but in the -10 you get this HUGE window right next to you! The best seat I ever had in a plane.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:27 AM   #18
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Yep and the 777 is about 28 gallons per minute. Carries about 300 people vs the 450 of the 747. Still much more fuel efficient. Less engines is good.

Both carry a person more efficiently than any gasoline powered car however. Amazing.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:34 AM   #19
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA

I've heard a AA Fuel Dragster is using burning 1.5 gallons of Nitro Methane per second (90 gallons / minute) and is creating more energy than a 747, yet this is going through a big V8 motor!

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat