Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > 3D Flying
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
MyronW

Club: Fallbrook RC Flyers
Friends: (0)
Default Use a T-28 motor mount to fit a Hacker motor in your Visionaire

My Visionaire developed a case of the wobblies where the ailerons would flutter at medium throttle. I suspected that the motor shaft was bent, so I pulled it out and checked it on a surface plate. Dead straight. I discovered that several magnets had broken loose and had shifted, causing the imbalance and ruining the motor. It was my fault, so I didn't pursue a warranty replacement.

After doing a lot of research, I decided to try a Hacker A30-10L motor. When it arrived, I found that the shaft placement is reversed and that the motor has to be "backmounted", with a bolt-on prop adapter.
Using the included cross-type mount, I mounted the motor in the VA, but the prop adapter was too short. I tried to build a mount out of plywood and carbon fiber, but it exploded in my hands as I mounted the motor. An aluminum mount didn't fit at all, and I could not find any suitable mounts, so my plane sat there.

A trip to my LHS yesterday led me to discover that the motor mount from a Parkzone T-28 works perfectly! It fits the Visionaire motor mount as if it were made for it, and the prop adapter now clears the cowl. It was necessary to enlarge the hole in the cowl to allow clearance for the can, but not much.

I still need to adjust the CG and wait for the rain to stop, and then I'm going flying!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VA_Hacker side shot.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	172315

Name:	VA_Hacker cowl oblique.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	172316

Name:	VA_Hacker mount top view.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	172317

Name:	VA_Hacker cowl on side shot.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	172318

Rotary wing: mCPX V.2; Nano CPX; MQX; Ares Ethos QX 75 Quad
Fixed wing: HZ Glasair Sportsman; Slow Stick; Assassin;PZ T-28; Crack Turbo Beaver; Hangar 9 P-40B Warhawk 50 (under construction)
Radio: Taranis

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > 3D Flying