Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-16-2013, 08:04 AM   #1
thepiper92

Friends: (1)
Default 4mm Prop Adapter

Does anyone know where to get a 4mm collet adapter with a screw hole on the end to mount a spinner. I recently ordered a spinner, figuring it would dress the plane up a bit, but now I am runner a motor with a 4mm shaft and this spinner has a 3.2mm collet. Is it possible to make the 3.2mm collet into a 4mm without destroying it?

This is the spinner I ordered:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14815
Old 12-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (8)

It is highly unlikely that you can get a 4mm collet to fit the 3.17mm spinner back-plate. It will pass through the threaded part - but it will not slide back enough on the taper ..

Sorry but you will have to source a 4mm adaptor / spinner combo. Keep the 3.17mm one aside - it's a very common shaft size.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 12-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
hillbille

View hillbille's Gallery29
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Simple fix. What you need are some of these:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...s_M6x1_M4.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...s_M7x1_M3.html

The M number is the thread size on the adapter side.
The X1 is the length of the nut overall.
The _M number is the thread size on the SPINNER side.

The one thing you will NEED to know is the THREAD size of your adapter - if you don't know what it is, the simple solution is to take the adapter part to a hardware store and go to the small parts department and try nuts until you find the one that threads onto it - and then you will know the correct size you need.

That second "m" number is kinda important too because if the original used a 3mm bolt then you do NOT want one that uses a 4mm as you don't want to enlarge the hole in the end of the spinner - it won't work then. LOL!!

Good luck!

Hillbille

It isn't the mistake that causes the crash - it's the time it takes to realize that it WAS a mistake!!
AMA884978
Old 12-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by hillbille View Post
Simple fix. What you need are some of these:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...s_M6x1_M4.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...s_M7x1_M3.html

The M number is the thread size on the adapter side.
The X1 is the length of the nut overall.
The _M number is the thread size on the SPINNER side.

The one thing you will NEED to know is the THREAD size of your adapter - if you don't know what it is, the simple solution is to take the adapter part to a hardware store and go to the small parts department and try nuts until you find the one that threads onto it - and then you will know the correct size you need.

That second "m" number is kinda important too because if the original used a 3mm bolt then you do NOT want one that uses a 4mm as you don't want to enlarge the hole in the end of the spinner - it won't work then. LOL!!

Good luck!

Hillbille
?? How is a thread adaptor nut going to help him fit a 3.17mm Collet to a 4mm Shaft ?

He needs a 4mm collet ... because his shaft is 4mm ...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 12-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
hillbille

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
?? How is a thread adaptor nut going to help him fit a 3.17mm Collet to a 4mm Shaft ?

He needs a 4mm collet ... because his shaft is 4mm ...

Nigel
LOL!! Nigel - of course you're correct - it won't help at all! I was up late and for some reason my powers of reason were not functioning! LOL!! This sometimes happens to us old guys - and we mumble a lot too.

Hillbille

It isn't the mistake that causes the crash - it's the time it takes to realize that it WAS a mistake!!
AMA884978
Old 12-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by hillbille View Post
LOL!! Nigel - of course you're correct - it won't help at all! I was up late and for some reason my powers of reason were not functioning! LOL!! This sometimes happens to us old guys - and we mumble a lot too.

Hillbille
No problem - I tend to drop food down my front as well !!

Nigel

Old 12-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
hillbille

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

I think I was thinking about him using an adapter he ALREADY had that would fit the 4mm shaft, BUT did not have the retaining threaded hole in it's top. THAT'S when one of these babies comes in handy.

Of course I didn't say that either!! LOL!! It was a long day!!

Hillbille

AMA884978

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies