Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-20-2013, 07:41 AM   #1
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (8)
Default My Blackberry Z10 has died !

I'm really annoyed .... yesterday it failed to communicate .. screens slid .. screen worked but no SMS or calls ...

Couldn't switch it off ... so pulled battery ... now all it does is sit with BLACKBERRY word on screen ..... try power off ... just goes off and straight back on again to the word on screen.

Tried update via USB ... says error

The BB is important part for my work ...

Tried Crackberry ... Blackberry sites ... nothing.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 12-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,983 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (304)

Hi Nigel, I think you may have gotten a Virus on your BlackBerryz10.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...monday-880285/

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 12-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 12-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Trouble is - I cannot get the darned thing to start - so no way can I check virus, remove anything !

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 12-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Default Restart a blackberry z10

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Trouble is - I cannot get the darned thing to start - so no way can I check virus, remove anything !

Nigel
http://helpblog.blackberry.com/2013/...lackberry-z10/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK8sArLXH3Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIQPRXRyUds

Old 12-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

also, take out the battery, and tap it on the side a few times, it might have a loose connection, if that works, get a new battery for it.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #7
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

If you're on ship, throw it overboard. When you get to port, get yourself a droid or I-phone. Or better yet. Latvia is near Finland, right? Probably some good deals on Nokia's. Have your wife pick one up and get it to you by courier. Problem solved.

Good luck. I hate it that we have grown to totally rely on mobile smartphones but that's how it goes. I panic when something goes bad with mine. Feel naked without it and that's not a good image.

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 12-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #8
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Ex R&D Manager of Nokia is a pal of mine ... he left when MS appeared ...

But I use Blackberry because of the RIM service ... emails etc. Comms cost has been cut by approx. 40% for me ... since changing to BB few years back.

I-Phone ... you're kidding ? Girlie Phones ...

The only real alternative to the BB is the Samsung range and that's my back-up. (I do have my old 8900 BB still and that's kept me going today).

I finally managed to get the Z10 up and running again ... looks like it was trying to update and modem on ship went down during the update ... screwed up the OS. I had to find a cable that worked ... WHY do each company alter the cable so you have to have theirs ! .... once I had that (I carry 4 cables all fit but only one synchs a BB !) ... I had to remove the battery to stop the powering up ... connected to BB update site ... Updated OS - that took 5 hours to install ...

Now I have a Z10 that needs all info / contacts reloaded ... Of course you have guessed that the Back-up I planned to do was not done !!

Nigel

Old 12-21-2013, 12:00 AM   #9
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

BB? Not a company I'd buy stock in- LOL In fact, it's probably one brand that will not survive 2014. When I had my BB ack in the day, I did find out they can't swim- LOL

Samsung? Yes. Cool stuff. I do like my I-phone, so slap me in the @$$ and call me Sally ! . Highly capable. In fact could run the entire Russian Space program- LOL

Have a good one !

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 12-21-2013, 01:13 AM   #10
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (4)

a cheap calculator could have run the moon missions. I don't like the way apple tries to force you into other products. android is cheap and plentiful, and you can do crazy things like installuninstall applications you want.

last bb I saw was probably about 2008

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 12-21-2013, 01:30 AM   #11
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (2)

Nigel....

I to have used BB (many years) for the very same reasons you identified......but they are on the way out...soon.

I converted over to a Motorola MB612 last year, very black berry like.....so far, all has been good....but Moto has dropped that line and I'll be looking again for another mobile soon....no girlie toys for me either....droid technolgy suites me just fine....I don't need to be connected to social media, just need to get my E-mails, working MS software and info sites.

AMA 928214
Old 12-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #12
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I need to speak to my pal ... when he left Nokia, he gave me the low-down on all the phones and the bench comparison tests ... I-Phone did not come out too well !! Nor did Nokia in fact !! But that was because of the wasted effort on Symbian ... a fact he'd told them years ago.

He's still in touch with the inside world of Mobiles ...

BB .. don't be so sure ... as I hear there are moves afoot ....

Let's be honest - one of the reasons BB had troubles not so long ago was RIM refusal to kow-tow to a certain Security bunch ... refusing to give over the access coding to the RIM messaging service ... it also snowballed into countries like India doing similar. But most then backed down and opened up and allowed BB service.

The only place in the world I have trouble with BB service is USA. Because I refuse to pay an extra tariff ... I pay my BB and Mobile Providers contract fees - and rest of world gets roaming ... so why should I pay an extra fee ?

Nigel

Old 12-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #13
DHC Beaver

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (1)

Hey,Nige,maybe this will help:
Old 12-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #14
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Nigel,

From what I gather, androids outsell the I-phone globally by a large margin, but in the US I believe the I phone outsells the androids. As far as speed, the iphone 5S is equally as fast and the Safari OS is well known to be virtually virus free. Moreover, the BB is all but dead here. Their last release was a total bomb.

When I had one of the early BB's, I liked it because of the keypad touch and feel. Took me a while to get used the flat panel.

Not sure what service provider you're using. Here, the big three are Verizon, AT&T and Sprint. For the most part, Sprint sucks.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #15
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by DHC Beaver View Post
I remember seeing that on BBC .. and the original Two Ronnies Sketch that inspired this one.

Brilliant !!

Nigel

Old 12-22-2013, 03:46 AM   #16
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (13)

funny stuff!!! also the sweet shop was good. one of my fav monty pythons skits was the cheese shop.

Click to view5:28

Monty Python - Cheese Shop
YouTube

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 12-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #17
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

There are far too many Monty Python classics ...

Nigel

Old 12-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #18
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I'm really annoyed .... yesterday it failed to communicate .. screens slid .. screen worked but no SMS or calls ...

Couldn't switch it off ... so pulled battery ... now all it does is sit with BLACKBERRY word on screen ..... try power off ... just goes off and straight back on again to the word on screen.

Tried update via USB ... says error

The BB is important part for my work ...

Tried Crackberry ... Blackberry sites ... nothing.

Nigel
We just got two of the Motorola "Moto X" cellphones. They work OK. But this video clip surprised the heck out of me.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 12-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #19
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

The Motorola vid reminds me :

Having watched my son go through 3 iPhones in one year - due to their habit of cracking glass at slightest tap - the Gorilla Glass on most other phones is well worth it.

Nigel

Old 12-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #20
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Those Moto's are assembled right here in Ft. Worth at the abandoned Nokia plant. Interesting story. They said they could have set up shop anywhere in the world and ended up choosing Ft. Worth. It's about 4 miles from where I live.

I have cracked the glass on my I-phone before. I agree, it's a weak point if you have a tendency to drop things.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:13 PM   #21
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Those Moto's are assembled right here in Ft. Worth at the abandoned Nokia plant. Interesting story. They said they could have set up shop anywhere in the world and ended up choosing Ft. Worth. It's about 4 miles from where I live.

I have cracked the glass on my I-phone before. I agree, it's a weak point if you have a tendency to drop things.
One of the reasons I was told about the glass on the iPhone - the ridge around outside is less than other phones - so glass is direct contact with anything the phone drops onto - even a flat floor.

mmmmmm I was told about the Nokia trials and reasons for shutting down various plants .... not only USA.

Nigel

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat