Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
SW5-Flier

Friends: (0)
Default Need recommendations for my next plane?

Hey, guys!
I have a ultra micro T-28 that I feel that I am now very comfortable flying, and I need help determining my next plane! I really have no idea what I want, all I know is it needs to be under $225, and I would prefer a bind-n-fly.

(P.S. I have a dx6i radio, and a Phoenix simulator which I have many hours on, and I am capable of most basic aerobatic maneuvers.)

Yes, as a matter of fact, I do know I spelled the word "flyer" wrong in my username...
Old 12-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

If you fly the T-28 well... you are ready for just about any BnF that is available.

Without watching you fly I can't make any recommendations.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

SW5,

The world is your oyster ! Lots of choices out there in that price range depending on your likes and dislikes. Like Warbirds? Sport planes ? EDF? 3D? Pattern? Pick your poison. Want to stay small or go bigger? Do you enjoy building? Prefer foam or balsa ? I assume you like electric or you wouldn't be here.

On BF, I treated myself to a FMS 1450mm P-51 Big Beautiful Doll . Sequence doors, lights flaps, sliding canopy, battery tray, etc. for $219 shipped. In the PnP ARF world, I look for free shipping deals.

My favorite online shop these days is Motion RC. FMS, Freewing, etc. Always free shipping. The Dynam lineup also fits into your budget. Some decent planes with a lot of plane for the money. Grayson and Nitroplanes sell these. I have the FW-190, C-310 and Spitfire(RIP).

I got back into this about 3 years ago and have dipped my big toe into about everything imaginable from Warbirds to 50mm &64mm edfs to twins like the Mosquito, C-310 and Deuces Wild, to 3D. I'm still much like the experimenting teenager though I just turned 59. For me, smoking crack would be less addicting- LOL

You're ready for anything. Have fun !

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 12-26-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
SW5-Flier

Thank you very much, both of you! I have had my eye on this beauty here: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/archer-bnf-PKZ6180
I also love the idea of trying this guy out: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ology-EFLU4850
You guys think one of these will work? I really love the looks of that archer...

Yes, as a matter of fact, I do know I spelled the word "flyer" wrong in my username...
Old 12-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Don't think you can go wrong with either. I'm not a big HH user( PZ, Eflight, Hangar 9, Seagull, etc.) Only have had the larger T-28( good plane)) and the Deuces Wild ( discontinued)

One of the moderators here, rcers, is a big fan of the HH line up and write reviews on their behalf. I know he loves his little Piper Archer. Hopefully, Mike can chime in.

Good luck !

-Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 12-27-2013, 01:09 AM   #6
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

Originally Posted by SW5-Flier View Post
Hey, guys!
I have a ultra micro T-28 that I feel that I am now very comfortable flying, and I need help determining my next plane! I really have no idea what I want, all I know is it needs to be under $225, and I would prefer a bind-n-fly.

(P.S. I have a dx6i radio, and a Phoenix simulator which I have many hours on, and I am capable of most basic aerobatic maneuvers.)
This is a bit over your price range, but it is a very good model. It can fly slow, it can fly really high performance acrobatics, you name it. It does include a Spektrum receiver, all servos, and one 3S LiPo battery with a simple LiPo charger.

There are three or four of them in my RC club, and everyone that has one, or has seen one fly has been impressed.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...nology-PKZ6580

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 12-27-2013, 01:17 AM   #7
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Don't think you can go wrong with either. I'm not a big HH user( PZ, Eflight, Hangar 9, Seagull, etc.) Only have had the larger T-28( good plane)) and the Deuces Wild ( discontinued)

One of the moderators here, rcers, is a big fan of the HH line up and write reviews on their behalf. I know he loves his little Piper Archer. Hopefully, Mike can chime in.

Good luck !

-Hawk
Yeah
Still do not understand why HH discontinued their Duces Wild twin model. That was one of the nicest twin engine/motor models of that size I've seen in a long while. And, with proper electric power, that model was FAST!!!

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 12-27-2013, 01:29 AM   #8
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

I love the little Archer! It is a fantastic airplane.... And it is on sale now as well!

I think that is an excellent choice and it bit bigger and faster for you. The Beast is also fun - but needs to be "flown" full time!

Here is my review of the Archer...it would be my vote.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1806236

Mike
Old 12-27-2013, 02:37 AM   #9
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (4)

trike gear is awesome for touch n go's. I wish more planes used it.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 12-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #10
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Denny, The Deuces I bought used has Scorpion 710's. Nice power there.

Hey, I may pick up one of these little Piper Archers before they are discontinued.

Nice review Mike !

Old 12-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #11
SW5-Flier

Thank you very much, all of you! Mike, your review was wonderful! I'm going to go to my local hobby store today and browse around to see if something catches my eye. I also want to see if they carry the archer.
I still really am loving the way that archer looks!

Old 12-27-2013, 10:24 PM   #12
SW5-Flier

Well, I went to the store and they had one more of the BNF version of the archer left! So, I went ahead and bought it for (believe it or not) twenty dollars cheaper than the list price on HH! It only cost me $110! I don't think that I'll be able to maiden it until late January because I am in an apartment right now (waiting to move into a normal house) and I don't have room for it!
Thank you all very much for your help!

Old 12-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #13
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

The box is FAR bigger than the plane. Go for it....and congrats.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:26 PM   #14
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Congrats SW ! I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:45 AM   #15
SW5-Flier

I opened it, and you're right it isn't that big. However, I really don't want to assemble it, then try to move it into our new house without breaking it...

But thanks again everyone!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners