Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-29-2013, 05:16 AM   #1
DHC Beaver

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (1)
Question servo slow and stuttery on 1 side only.

I have a very weird problem.I'm setting up the servos in my Nieuport 21 wing.The right servo works at normal speed up,but slow and stuttery moving back to neutral,and on down movement and return.The left servo does this both up and down.
The setup is this:
Turnigy 9x with er9x fw,Frsky 4ch rx.The servos are HK15168's,as they were the only ones small enough to fit in the wing.Rx power is through the esc's ubec.
I'm stumped.Is this a rx,tx,servo,esc,or whatever problem?
Thanks for any help,guys 'n gals.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:38 AM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,983 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (304)

check your control surface hinges, make sure they are not to stiff, that puts a lot of stress on the servo if they are to stiff, disconnect the servos from the control surfaces and test them with no resistance on them, if the servos still act funny, you may have a bad servo, replace the servo thats acting up, if that does not correct the problem, there may be a problem with a loose connection between the receiver and servos. hope that helps, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 12-29-2013, 05:54 AM   #3
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (4)

x2. lots of ca hinges do this.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 12-29-2013, 07:22 AM   #4
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Check the connections between the servos and RX. A marginal connection can give some very odd results.

Corrosion on the pins of an extension, not being fully plugged, a wire starting to fail... Anything that gives less than full connection between RX and the servo.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

Originally Posted by DHC Beaver View Post
I have a very weird problem.I'm setting up the servos in my Nieuport 21 wing.The right servo works at normal speed up,but slow and stuttery moving back to neutral,and on down movement and return.The left servo does this both up and down.
The setup is this:
Turnigy 9x with er9x fw,Frsky 4ch rx.The servos are HK15168's,as they were the only ones small enough to fit in the wing.Rx power is through the esc's ubec.
I'm stumped.Is this a rx,tx,servo,esc,or whatever problem?
Thanks for any help,guys 'n gals.
Just to check on your servos, have you tried running your servos with the pushrods disconnected from the servo?

If the problem still exists, either your servos are kaput, or you've got receiver battery supply problems. That could be checked by substituting a standard 4 cell Nih 4.8 volt battery pack on your receiver. Be sure to unplug your ESC from the receiver so the ESC's BEC and the battery don't argue with each other.

Or maybe even the radio itself

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 12-29-2013, 09:18 PM   #6
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Agree with above - if the servo runs funny with no load - it is the POT causing the issue. That is something good servo manufactures will cover under warranty - not sure about HK. They are hit and miss, and mostly miss (in my book).

Mike
Old 12-30-2013, 01:54 AM   #7
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
Agree with above - if the servo runs funny with no load - it is the POT causing the issue. That is something good servo manufactures will cover under warranty - not sure about HK. They are hit and miss, and mostly miss (in my book).

Mike
Yeah
All of my models have name brand servos in them. Mostly Hitecs. I did have a Futaba high power servo get erratic several years ago on a flap servo. It showed up before takeoff, so no damage done.

A couple of years ago, a fellow club member had a Hitec servo lose centering on the aileron of a $$$$ wet turbine model. He is a very good pilot, and got the jet back on the ground in one piece. Didn't take long to figure out what happened to the servo. The servo Arm was from a different brand servo. The splines didn't match up, and the different brand servo arm was slipping on the Hitec servo shaft.

Word to the wise.

DennyV
Old 12-30-2013, 02:47 AM   #8
DHC Beaver

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

Thanks for your replies, people.I did some further investigating,and tried the following:
Replaced servo with brand new Futaba.same problem.
Changed battery pack to 4cell ni-mh pack,direct to rx.no change.
Replaced receiver ,no change.
Tried transmitter with a different wing plugged in to current model.No problems at all.This means it's definitely not the tx,or the model settings.I'm going to try one more rx tomorrow,as i don't have it here at the moment.
Will report back in due course.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:21 AM   #9
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

View Larry3215's Gallery63
Club: Kitsap ARCS & E-FLAPS
Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 
Friends: (21)

In that case Id say you definitely have a linkage or hinge problem of some kind causing binding or extra resistance.

Do as the others have said and unhook the linkages and move the surfaces by hand to check for binding, stiffness etc.

You might also eyeball along the hing line to see if the wing is warped. If the hinge line is NOT straight it can cause the surfaces to be difficult to move for part of the travel then it might get easy again but hard to return to center.

Good luck!

I think I need a signature.
Larry
Old 12-30-2013, 04:34 AM   #10
DHC Beaver

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

Thanks for that,Larry,but i forgot to mention i actually removed both servo's from the wing.I flexed the ailerons up and down to make sure there was no binding.Btw.,Larry,having a ball with my Capricorn,thanks for a wonderful design!.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:04 AM   #11
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 

Im at a loss for other possibilities for the problem then.

Hmmm - are you using servos with enough torque? What size model is this? Maybe post some pics of the setup. perhaps something will jump out.

Larry
Old 12-30-2013, 05:41 AM   #12
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Generally these turn out to be a bad connection. That may or may not mean a bad solder joint in the RX, bad crimp in n extension, corrosion on one or more pins of a plug...

I got similar results from an extension that wasn't fully plugged in. Got it pushed together right and the issue was gone. Still gone after 4 years of flying the plane.

Lots of places for it to have an electrical fault and they can be VERY simple... or VERY hard to find.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #13
Flyer495th

Friends: (0)

If you are using a y connector swap it out
Old 12-30-2013, 08:58 PM   #14
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
Generally these turn out to be a bad connection. That may or may not mean a bad solder joint in the RX, bad crimp in n extension, corrosion on one or more pins of a plug...

I got similar results from an extension that wasn't fully plugged in. Got it pushed together right and the issue was gone. Still gone after 4 years of flying the plane.

Lots of places for it to have an electrical fault and they can be VERY simple... or VERY hard to find.
Good point.

I've found one or two cases over the years where the female pin of the servo extension cable had virtually zero contact pressure when it was connected to a mating connector. If you've got an old junk servo cable, pull the male pin out of it, and slide that male pin into the female pin, one pin at a time.

There should be several ounces of pressure required to push the male pin into the female pin. Make certain the "Square" pin is horizontal while checking. If the pin is rotated by 45 degrees during testing, that could give a false impression of the female pin being tight enough.

DennyV
Old 12-30-2013, 09:09 PM   #15
fhhuber
Super Contributor

A step in diagnosing what is going on:
You can "tweak" a slight curve into the pins to "improve" contact.
This will make a flaky connection somewhat resistant to vibration.

This is not a real fix, since all that it will do is prove is that you need a new connector, because if this seems to cure the issue the connector is failing.

You can fly this way for a while with small, relatively low performance aircraft. But should replace the extension (usually its an extension that is bad when this helps) ASAP.

For large or high performance models the current capacity of the connection will not be adequate for high torque servos under flight loads.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:00 PM   #16
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post

+1

Larry
Old 12-30-2013, 11:19 PM   #17
DHC Beaver

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

Fixed it.Woohoo!
It turned out to be something i'd done in setting up the model in the tx.
I deleted the model,and made a new one.Problem solved.
Unfortunately,I don't know exactly what I did in the programming that caused it.I should study the er9x manual more thoroughly.There are so many options,it gets a bit challenging for an old dumb dutchman.
Thanks for your efforts folks,much appreciated.
Hans.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:55 AM   #18
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Fixed it.Woohoo!
Unfortunately,I don't know exactly what I did in the programming that caused it.I should study the er9x manual more thoroughly.There are so many options,it gets a bit challenging for an old dumb dutchman.
Hans.
Thanks for the update!

That's why writing the software for these microcontroller controlled devices such as our RC radios can be a real challenge. It is nearly impossible to physically program in every possible combination of settings and functions to verify proper operation in all of them.

The number of combinations quickly gets into the "Gazillions!".

DennyV
Old 12-31-2013, 01:09 AM   #19
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

Fixed it.Woohoo!
Hans.
I kind of doubt thats what fixed it.

I dont know of any programming options that will cause one-sided slowing like that. The few radios that do allow you to control servo speed make things slow down both ways at the same time as far as I know.

I think it more likely you did have a connection problem and re-installing the servos or jiggling the model "fixed it" - at least temporarily.

If it was the tx causing the issue, it would have shown up when you tried testing the other wing and Futaba servo.

Its also possible your tx is having an intermittent problem - perhaps with the pots on the sticks.

I would watch things carefully for a while just to be safe.

Good luck!

Larry

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros