Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-30-2013, 12:52 AM   #1
thepiper92

Friends: (1)
Default New radio?

It seems that I will require a new radio. I just received the Radian Pro and the PoleCat from Parkzone. The Polecat requires a DSMX/DSM2 radio for it's micro receiver, and the with the Radian Pro, I would like to get more use of the flaps (reflex, crow, etc). What is my best, and more cost effective option. I want a radio with decent mixing abilities, that is good quality, and has good features. I haven't had luck with Spektrum in the past with the radio that came with a Vaterra Glamis Uno. It would lose reception at about 100ft, where a cheap Flysky would not, so I am somewhat weary of Spektrum as a result, unless someone can say their air radios are good.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:07 AM   #2
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (4)

I love my dx6i. first one I bought used I kept having random crashes I blamed on experience levels. after buying a new radio (old one was used), haven't had a glitch since. there is nothing wrong with a lot of the radios out there. but if you stick to the bind n fly models, can't beat spectrum.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 12-30-2013, 01:41 AM   #3
thepiper92

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
I love my dx6i. first one I bought used I kept having random crashes I blamed on experience levels. after buying a new radio (old one was used), haven't had a glitch since. there is nothing wrong with a lot of the radios out there. but if you stick to the bind n fly models, can't beat spectrum.

Does the DX6 have good mixing abilities, meaning can it mix in advanced flap functions, and not simply having the flaps go up and down with a switch?
Old 12-30-2013, 01:45 AM   #4
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

Originally Posted by thepiper92 View Post
It seems that I will require a new radio. I just received the Radian Pro and the PoleCat from Parkzone. The Polecat requires a DSMX/DSM2 radio for it's micro receiver, and the with the Radian Pro, I would like to get more use of the flaps (reflex, crow, etc). What is my best, and more cost effective option. I want a radio with decent mixing abilities, that is good quality, and has good features. I haven't had luck with Spektrum in the past with the radio that came with a Vaterra Glamis Uno. It would lose reception at about 100ft, where a cheap Flysky would not, so I am somewhat weary of Spektrum as a result, unless someone can say their air radios are good.
I've had two Spektrum DX7s (The original units) for some six years. One was used continuously as the primary transmitter, the second retained as a backup unit. Never had to use the backup unit.

These transmitters were flown with genuine Spektrum receivers, with solid receiver power. Receiver power is either Castle Creations 10 Amp uBEC, or a 10 amp uBEC along with a backup two cell A123 battery pack on my giant scale models. Never once had a glitch. The in flight range of these full range Spektrum radios is several miles. Most name brand full range 2.4 Ghz radios match that range.

One guy in our club had a problem with his Spektrum DX7 a few years ago, losing bind once and awhile. Spektrum couldn't reproduce it. So Spektrum returned a BRAND NEW DX7 transmitter. No charge. They even paid return shipping. Pretty common service by Spektrum.

Just about everyone in my club that has gone to 2.4 Ghz has gone to the various Spektrum radios. Spektrum has their "Model Match" feature that absolutely prevents you from taking off your model with the wrong model in the transmitter. If your transmitters active model doesn't match your model ready to fly, that model is dead. Nothing moves.

I've sold one of my DX7's to a club member who is still flying it. It was replaced with a brand new DX8 transmitter that also has been flawless. And, the DX8 is much easier to program for dual aileron, dual flaps, dual elevator servos than the DX7 ever was. Took me 5 minutes to program this in to my giant scale, and didn't even need the manual. The DX8 transmitter came with several receivers, and a data logger for the receiver. That data logger showed zero loss of signal over many flights, some well over 1000 feet away. Never bothered with the data logger again.

As for popularity of the various radios, take a look:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71276

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 12-30-2013, 01:51 AM   #5
thepiper92

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
I've had two Spektrum DX7s (The original units) for some six years. One was used continuously as the primary transmitter, the second retained as a backup unit. Never had to use the backup unit.

These transmitters were flown with genuine Spektrum receivers, with solid receiver power. Receiver power is either Castle Creations 10 Amp uBEC, or a 10 amp uBEC along with a backup two cell A123 battery pack on my giant scale models. Never once had a glitch.

One guy in our club had a problem with his Spektrum DX7, losing bind once and awhile. Spektrum couldn't reproduce it. So Spektrum returned a BRAND NEW DX7 transmitter. Pretty common service by Spektrum.

Just about everyone in my club that has gone to 2.4 Ghz has gone to the various Spektrum radios. Spektrum has their "Model Match" feature that absolutely prevents you from taking off your model with the wrong model in the transmitter. If your transmitters active model doesn't match your model ready to fly, that model is dead. Nothing moves.

I've sold one of my DX7's to a club member who is still flying it. It was replaced with a brand new DX8 transmitter that also has been flawless. And, the DX8 is much easier to program for dual aileron, dual flaps, dual elevator servos than the DX7 ever was. Took me 5 minutes to program this in to my giant scale, and didn't even need the manual.

As for popularity of the various radios, take a look:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71276
Would I be better off going for a DX7? Or is the DX6 perfect for everything I need. The 7 is somewhat pricey. The max channels I'll be going to is 6, and I will be adding lights to the Mini Switch, so with a few y harnesses, I'll be covered I hope.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:55 AM   #6
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

go with the dx7 if you can swing it. it has knobs instead pfft switches for flaps. the dx6ionly has switches if I remember right

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 12-30-2013, 02:00 AM   #7
thepiper92

go with the dx7 if you can swing it. it has knobs instead pfft switches for flaps. the dx6ionly has switches if I remember right
So you mean turning knobs, allowing you to adjust flaps other than just off and on, or off on and 50% or something? I have that set on my Turnigy 9X actually, and just turn the knob to change the flaps angle. I would like to make advanced flaps work however, such as crow and reflex. It's not that they are required, just nice to try out I guess.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:03 AM   #8
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Yeah, if you can swing it, I'd also go for the DX7s transmitter. It is another $100 or so, but if you keep flying for a few years, the DX7s radio will serve you very well.

Add to that, the DX7s had a four cell Nih battery, along with a charger. If my fading memory is correct, the DX6i transmitter uses alkaline batteries. On the DX8, setting up crow and reflex is a simple process. Don't know about the DX6i though, no one in my RC club has mentioned it. A few of my club members have purchased the DX6i transmitter over the years. Many of them have since upgraded to the DX7, DX8 or even the new DX9 units.

DennyV
Old 12-30-2013, 02:05 AM   #9
thepiper92

Yeah, if you can swing it, I'd also go for the DX7s transmitter. It is another $100 or so, but if you keep flying for awhile, the DX7s radio will serve you very well.

Add to that, the DX7s had a four cell Nih battery, along with a charger. If my fading memory is correct, the DX6i transmitter uses alkaline batteries.
It seems that is no longer the case: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...iver-No-Servos

What is so much better about the DX7s, is the extra channel worth the $100 more, or is there a lot of other things, like mixing ability, control accuracy?
Old 12-30-2013, 02:24 AM   #10
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

It seems that is no longer the case: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...iver-No-Servos

What is so much better about the DX7s, is the extra channel worth the $100 more, or is there a lot of other things, like mixing ability, control accuracy?
That's interesting. The new DX6i transmitter includes LOOSE "AA" type rechargeable batteries, versus the welded cells in the DX7 and higher value transmitters. The welded cells plug in to the transmitter with a battery connector.

I've never been a real fan of those loose batteries in any unit, especially in a transmitter when a $$$$ model airplane is involved. (How many times have you had to shake a flashlight to get it to come on???)

Not familiar with programming of a DX6i, but the DX7 series has a lot of capabilities in the programming process.

DennyV
Old 12-30-2013, 03:16 AM   #11
thepiper92

That's interesting. The new DX6i transmitter includes LOOSE "AA" type rechargeable batteries, versus the welded cells in the DX7 and higher value transmitters. The welded cells plug in to the transmitter with a battery connector.

I've never been a real fan of those loose batteries in any unit, especially in a transmitter when a $$$$ model airplane is involved. (How many times have you had to shake a flashlight to get it to come on???)

Not familiar with programming of a DX6i, but the DX7 series has a lot of capabilities in the programming process.

Okay, I am leaning towards the 7, but that price :/
Old 12-30-2013, 03:37 AM   #12
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (2)

thepiper92.....

Take a look for yourself:

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Air/Radios.aspx

I too was torn between spending the extra money on a DX7s or going with the Dx6i. Since I only own 5 planes and all only require 4ch application, I don't see myself owning to many more craft...the 10 model storing was enough.

As far as programming and ability to mix dual rate, expo, travel, sub trim and flaps....the toggle switches can be assigned to various personal choices. Since my needs are pretty basic and my flying style dosen't reach much more than sport acrobatic.....I've found the DX6i to handle all my needs. The battery issue "loose AA Ni-MH 1500mah 1.2v" is not an issue either since you have the option to charge them while in the transmitter (charger provided) or with a seperate charger once removed from the TX.

For the money, it's been a great addition and refined my skills some.....

AMA 928214
Old 12-30-2013, 03:42 AM   #13
fhhuber
Super Contributor

More channels and more mixing capabilities with each "higher level" TX in the series.

When is it enough? Depends on what you will be flying.

For any plane that could be flown 4-channel the DX-6i is plenty.
Add flaps and the desire to do mixing of flaps to ailerons any you need the 7 or better.

Its easy to use up 10 channels on a gasoline power model with flaps, dual elevator servos and mixing the ailerons and flaps. Add retracts to that and you need 11 channels.

There's not any real NEED to play some of the games with mixing that we do now, but having the capability means you can tweak things in flight that used to require landing and getting out the toolbox.

I'm working on a scale Me262 , dual BVM 5612 EVFs (5000 watts each) which I'm currently estimating to need 8 servos just for flaps... DX7 might fly it but that would be a lot of Y harnesses in a very high performance model.

So its all about what you want to fly... and what capabilities you want.

The general rule of thumb when choosing a radio is to get the best you can afford.
I've never heard anyone wishing they had one less channel available.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:47 AM   #14
thepiper92

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
thepiper92.....

Take a look for yourself:

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Air/Radios.aspx

I too was torn between spending the extra money on a DX7s or going with the Dx6i. Since I only own 5 planes and all only require 4ch application, I don't see myself owning to many more craft...the 10 model storing was enough.

As far as programming and ability to mix dual rate, expo, travel, sub trim and flaps....the toggle switches can be assigned to various personal choices. Since my needs are pretty basic and my flying style dosen't reach much more than sport acrobatic.....I've found the DX6i to handle all my needs. The battery issue "loose AA Ni-MH 1500mah 1.2v" is not an issue either since you have the option to charge them while in the transmitter (charger provided) or with a seperate charger once removed from the TX.

For the money, it's been a great addition and refined my skills some.....
Thanks, I was somewhat hoping someone would say the DX6. Really the max I will doing is flaps mixing on the Radian Pro, probably not even using it that much, but just simply gliding. On my Mini Switch, it's 4 channels, and I will be adding lights, but that is easy with a few y harnesses. The main reason for looking at a new radio is that the Turnigy...I don't quite trust it truthfully. It seems to even make the Radian not want to trim straight, and it doesn't have the expanding, trim altering issue my Mini Switch has, I just think the 2.4ghz in the radio has a much worse design that the DSMX or DSM2 system. I can get a module that works with DSM2 for the 9x, but there are reviews that state the module is not the best. In all, the Turnigy is $50 and $20 shipping already, and the module is roughly $30 and probably another $20 shipping, costly be at least $100, and a better radio that will guaranteed work with the Specktrum receivers is a $180 Spektrum radio, that already has a better firmware design and allow for mixing.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:50 AM   #15
thepiper92

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
More channels and more mixing capabilities with each "higher level" TX in the series.

When is it enough? Depends on what you will be flying.

For any plane that could be flown 4-channel the DX-6i is plenty.
Add flaps and the desire to do mixing of flaps to ailerons any you need the 7 or better.

Its easy to use up 10 channels on a gasoline power model with flaps, dual elevator servos and mixing the ailerons and flaps. Add retracts to that and you need 11 channels.

There's not any real NEED to play some of the games with mixing that we do now, but having the capability means you can tweak things in flight that used to require landing and getting out the toolbox.

I'm working on a scale Me262 , dual BVM 5612 EVFs (5000 watts each) which I'm currently estimating to need 8 servos just for flaps... DX7 might fly it but that would be a lot of Y harnesses in a very high performance model.

So its all about what you want to fly... and what capabilities you want.

The general rule of thumb when choosing a radio is to get the best you can afford.
I've never heard anyone wishing they had one less channel available.
So do I really need 7 or 8 channels to add a bit more of an advanced flap functioning.

I am getting this when I search around

http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/Radi...DX6i_setup.pdf

However, does the DX7s have better range, less failure rate, etc?

Also, the DX7 has and SD card for updating and model memory, but how does one update the DX6
Old 12-30-2013, 05:48 AM   #16
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

dx6i has 10 model memory and that's it. you can only fly 10 planes without loosing your settings or having to retrim and rebind stuff. really not a big deal to 90% of us. you can run flaps easily on 5 channels. or, if you have full span aleroins, you can set up a mix for that as well. if you had to power more then 5 or 6 channels, then you would want a dx7. I have had no issues with charging or using any batteries in my radio.

to use/mix flaps into aleroins, you'll need 7 channels. if you can y-harness the two flaps together and use them independent of aleroins, then the 6 chAnnels is plenty. the dx6I has elevon mixing (think flying wing) flaps, retracts, anything you need. if a plane recommends 4-6 channels your set.the mini ultra stick says you need 7channels to mix in a crow function (air brakes). you will be able to do anything else on the 6 channels.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:02 AM   #17
Turner
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

If you want to run two aileron servos on separate channels and two flap servos on separate channels for maximum programing and mixing options that's four channels. Add throttle, rudder and elevator and you are at seven channels.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:20 AM   #18
thepiper92

Originally Posted by Turner View Post
If you want to run two aileron servos on separate channels and two flap servos on separate channels for maximum programing and mixing options that's four channels. Add throttle, rudder and elevator and you are at seven channels.
The Radian is using two y-harnesses, one for the ailerons, and one for the flaps. That leaves it at 5 channels.

Is there some benefit to going to no y-harnesses?
Old 12-30-2013, 06:37 AM   #19
Turner
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

The Radian is using two y-harnesses, one for the ailerons, and one for the flaps. That leaves it at 5 channels.

Yes. You cannot do spoilerons and/or flaperons using a Y harness. You need ailerons on separate channels.

You can usually use a Y with flaps but for maximum tunability having them on separate channels is useful. On separate channels it is easy to reverse one channel. Not so with a Y. It is sometimes necessary to reverse one channel depending on the mounting arrangement of the servos. With flap servos on separate channels you have subtrim available for each flap. On a Y they are tied together and subtrim moves both flaps.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:44 AM   #20
fhhuber
Super Contributor

For the Radian.. probably no significant benefit to splitting it to a full function flaperon/spoileron mix with crow/butterfly capability.
You could do what is about its useful max by putting each aileron on a separate channel for most of the "benefits" at 6 channels, leaving the flaps on a Y and still be getting more complex than what would give visible aid to its performance.
If the DX6i can do enough mixing... its still limited by the switch instead of dial for the flaps.

Having the mixed functions, especially flap-spoileron (ailerons go up as flaps go down) on a dial instead of a switch is a big bonus allowing you to dial the amount of air-brake effect desired instead of having all or nothing.
Just a little bit of this mix lets you slow down to minimum speed the aircraft can stay in the air with virtually no chance of dropping a wing. Very useful for landing approaches with a model that gets unstable when its slow. (not much help for the Radian... its stable when slow)

This is pointing at something you may want with the type aircraft you seem to be headed toward and might want in the relatively near future. But the DX6i will limit your ability to do it.

No, its not something the airplanes you have now would need. But do you want to potentially be re-buying a TX in a year?

How soon do you think you might advance to a higher performance e-power sailplane?
OR
Do you think you'll continue on the path of e-power sailplanes or head in another direction?

Might you head toward "Warbirds" which might have 1 throttle, 2 elevator, 3 rudder, 4 ailerons, 5 flaps, 6 retracts + potential for other/more options?
A 6 ch radio could be very limiting here.
I've got 7 channels operating in a Dynam 1200mm foamie P-51 (flyable on 5 channels, stock from the box) just adding flaps to it and putting each aileron on its own channel.

These are things you need to consider in making your choice.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:09 AM   #21
thepiper92

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
For the Radian.. probably no significant benefit to splitting it to a full function flaperon/spoileron mix with crow/butterfly capability.
You could do what is about its useful max by putting each aileron on a separate channel for most of the "benefits" at 6 channels, leaving the flaps on a Y and still be getting more complex than what would give visible aid to its performance.
If the DX6i can do enough mixing... its still limited by the switch instead of dial for the flaps.

Having the mixed functions, especially flap-spoileron (ailerons go up as flaps go down) on a dial instead of a switch is a big bonus allowing you to dial the amount of air-brake effect desired instead of having all or nothing.
Just a little bit of this mix lets you slow down to minimum speed the aircraft can stay in the air with virtually no chance of dropping a wing. Very useful for landing approaches with a model that gets unstable when its slow. (not much help for the Radian... its stable when slow)

This is pointing at something you may want with the type aircraft you seem to be headed toward and might want in the relatively near future. But the DX6i will limit your ability to do it.

No, its not something the airplanes you have now would need. But do you want to potentially be re-buying a TX in a year?

How soon do you think you might advance to a higher performance e-power sailplane?
OR
Do you think you'll continue on the path of e-power sailplanes or head in another direction?

Might you head toward "Warbirds" which might have 1 throttle, 2 elevator, 3 rudder, 4 ailerons, 5 flaps, 6 retracts + potential for other/more options?
A 6 ch radio could be very limiting here.
I've got 7 channels operating in a Dynam 1200mm foamie P-51 (flyable on 5 channels, stock from the box) just adding flaps to it and putting each aileron on its own channel.

These are things you need to consider in making your choice.
I will not likely going to extreme sailplanes, I like the Radian Pro a lot, and it will be very relaxing to fly, plus being able stay out for 20 minutes or more on one battery pack. I would, however, like to see how a little more advanced flap function changes the flight of the plane. I do not plane to go into the realm of a full sail plane, one of which is pulled up by another plane, or launched. I don't have that kind of area to fly anything like that. I am strong thinking of getting into warbirds though. I already have...had...a Durafly Spitfire. The servo immediately failed and the plane met its doom with in 5 seconds. It's too expensive to repair, as for some reason I can't order the wings and fuselage in one shipment as it's not in the size requirement (not going to ask how the whole dang plane was shipped in the size requirement). I plane to go to another warbird soon, especially considering I can fly quite competently now, as well as landing, although not sure if I will go to Parkzone, they don't have a good look to me, other than the Folke-Wulf. With a warbird though, is the max potential of the ailerons really needed; the warbirds are scale, and not exactly meant for extreme flying, but maybe I am wrong. I have had no issues with using y-harnesses for the ailerons, as I am currently doing with my Mini Switch. As for going to the dial instead of the switch, a warbird typically uses slow flaps anyways, and the flaps are typically only for landing. Maybe I just don't understand exactly what moving ailerons to two channels allows to occur.

Clearly I don't want a limiting radio. I also don't want a complex radio, unless I can get it for a lesser price than 300 beans. With a new radio, I'll toss the original receivers back into the Radian and Mini Switch, and also be able to bind to the receiver/esc in the Polecat, which I am looking forward to flying in a smaller area. How likely am I to be limited by the DX6i?
Old 12-30-2013, 07:15 AM   #22
thepiper92

Originally Posted by Turner View Post
Yes. You cannot do spoilerons and/or flaperons using a Y harness. You need ailerons on separate channels.

You can usually use a Y with flaps but for maximum tunability having them on separate channels is useful. On separate channels it is easy to reverse one channel. Not so with a Y. It is sometimes necessary to reverse one channel depending on the mounting arrangement of the servos. With flap servos on separate channels you have subtrim available for each flap. On a Y they are tied together and subtrim moves both flaps.
I haven't had a need to reverse the channels, probably because the Radian Pro is designed to use one. Is that one of the only benefits of having ailerons or flaps on a separate channel. It's not that I wouldn't go to separate channels, just that would require a better transmitter, and is that necessary for me? It's hard to decide.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:38 AM   #23
fhhuber
Super Contributor

You gain with the warbirds from use of a SMALL amount of spoileron (push both ailerons up about 2 deg) on landing approach. This helps prevent dropping a wing when you stall. Add 10 to 30 deg flaps (depending on the airplane type) and you will have tamed the worst part of most warbird's flight envelope.

Full scale, some warbirds specified partial flaps on takeoff to help prevent a nasty snap-roll into the dirt if the pilot pulled a little too hard. Most fighters simply are not happy when slow.

Going back to th Dynam P-51. Flies fine on 5 ch (has retracts) with the ailerons Y'd. Its also got a not-so-scale airfoil with significant washout built in to help it with the P-51's bad stall habit AND its very light for a warbird its size.
Its a case of a "warbird" that has been tweaked to be flyable by a less experienced pilot.

Go to your typical competition scale P-51 and you'll want all the help you can get. They can be very unforgiving until they have adequate airspeed. Mixing ailerons to flaps for increased low speed stability makes the planes live longer.

There is a guy who for 5 years straight was trying to demo his P-51 at a "Big Bird" fly-in and every year he ripped the gear out on takeoff. I never did see that airplane fly.

For an early taste of flying warbirds, the appx 1250mm series by Dynam are all pretty good, relatively inexpensive and durable. (note that the P-51 was first in the series and needs a bigger battery than listed)
Old 12-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #24
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (8)

You could get yourself a 9XR ($50 + shipping) giving you 8 ch's and as much mixing / programmability as you'll likely ever need. Order it with the Orange DSM module and that means - you can bind to the Polecat and also use Orange or Lemon rx's instead of expensive Spektrum fot other models.

For the price of a 2nd hand DX6i - you could buy two 9xr's and modules. With the advantage that instead of a limited starter 6 ch radio - you get an 8ch with incredible programming capabilities.

Here's the Mode 2

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...?strSearch=9xr

It's available either Mode 1 or 2 .. (you can change it yourself actually but why when its already done !)

ALL channels are user assignable to whatever control you want. ALL channels are mixable.

So why have multiple radios when 1 will do it all ?

I'm a confirmed 9x user with two of them in constant heavy use. When the 9xr came out - I waited so that bugs and any new line problems could be identified. I have now taken the plunge and bought. I don't use DSM modules - I use FrSky which is about the best system available.

No need to bankrupt the wallet .. buy a 9xr + Module and spend the rest on Rx's for your next model !!

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 12-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #25
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (8)

Piper ... the benefit of more channels is mixing.

The 6i is very limited and once you start wanting to advance a little into spoilers, flaps, PROPER throttle cut, Helicopters or whatever - that 6i will really show its limitations. Yes agreed its a good starter radio - but that's it.

8ch or more is where it starts to get interesting as then the mixing of ch's opens up so many possibilities even on a 4ch model.

Most will say to you - get the best you can afford - True. But I add to that ... Get the most ch's you can afford. The 9x's and 9xr's have a wide following because of what the radios are capable of even without flashing other firmware on. They far outstrip any other radio in the 6, 7 and 8 ch market. I'm sure some will argue this and then start on about Service Back-up etc. - but if a radio needs such dedicated back-up then for me - I'm out the door. I want a radio that works. That's my view. If it does fail and cannot be fixed by the spares available - then it's not so high a cost to bin and get another. If a radio fails - regardless of brand - model likely suffers so there can be no competing argument on that.

I'm actually a JR man ... and would fly JR totally if I could justify the costs, now that so many budget systems are available.

Futaba, JR, Spektrum, Hitec, Sanwa, 9x, 9xr .. they all work. It comes down to what you want to spend.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros