Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Vintage and old timer models
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Vintage and old timer models Discuss nostalgic vintage aircraft

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-02-2014, 03:16 PM   #1
VintageChris

Friends: (0)
Default Fifteen Foot Buccaneer

Has anyone built a Fifteen Foot Buccaneer? Ben Buckle is selling the plan. Would like to know approximate weight.
ATB
Chris
Old 01-03-2014, 01:57 AM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,077 Times in 1,987 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (304)

Originally Posted by VintageChris View Post
Has anyone built a Fifteen Foot Buccaneer? Ben Buckle is selling the plan. Would like to know approximate weight.
ATB
Chris
Hi Chris Figure on about 1 1/2 lbs per foot of wing, so you will be looking at about 22 to 25 lbs if you build it lite. 25 to 30+ pounds if you build it on the heavy side.
the 7 1/2 foot Buccaneer AUW is 5 1/2 pounds, dont expect to double that weight at 11 lbs with a plane thats twice as big. a larger plane needs more stiffening/ bracing as it gets larger, and that relates to more weight.

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-03-2014, 09:43 AM   #3
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 01-03-2014, 10:04 AM   #4
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

here is a 15' W/S Piper at 65 LBS most of the weight is going to be in the power system depending on what you use. IMHO a geared motor will weigh less and be less expensive than a Direct drive outrunner for your build, here is where i like using geared motors

Old 01-03-2014, 10:23 AM   #5
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

To tell you the Truth, you will be better off using a Gasoline Engine, the lipos are going to weigh a lot. the motor is going to be expensive as well as the ESC and the lipos will cost a bundle, it will be Cheaper to use Gasoline, Sorry to Say, Sorry Wattheads gasoline is the way to go here. this engine weight is 5.8 lbs.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...FQmDfgod92UAkQ

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._8_000rpm.html

you might be able to get away using a 80cc Engine depending on the weight of the plane. if the AUW is over 30 LBS, i would use the 100 or 120cc engine

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ion_8_2HP.html

ARCDIRECT 194 points

This motor with 12.5 HP can handle a piper type plane up to 40LB or more , for 3 D flying 25-30 LB .So your 11 ft piper shouldnt be any problem .

tom 1 points - 3/1/2013

what is the weight and wingspaned of your cap

68chevy 10 points - 3/1/2013

will this engine power a 47% cap?. i am not in to 3D just like big planes, also wonder when it will be back in stock
ARCDIRECT 194 points

A 47% cap would be around over 110" WS if it,s not more then 30-35 LB and you want just do flying sure .

Old 01-04-2014, 02:23 AM   #6
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Here is a 14 ft W/S plane at 30 Lbs, it looks to be built on the heavy side. for a weight comparison.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1125386

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1104741

Old 01-20-2014, 12:31 AM   #7
Louierc

Friends: (0)
Default Big electrics

OK, we're talking about a floaty old-timer here, not a 3D plane. I have a 20 ft Boehle Giant that weighs about 18-19 lbs. It flies on a Hacker A50 motor on 6S10,000 (two packs in parallel) and will stay up a LONG time. I think the power is about 1100 watts. Loading is about 16 oz /ft2. Easy to do with your Buccaneer.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Vintage and old timer models