Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-10-2014, 03:23 PM   #1
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)
Default Not your daddy's Prius

Not really airplane related, but is electric powered and has wings.

Renault has just debuted their ELECTRIC Formula 1 car.
This puppy will do 150 mph and runs 25 minutes on a charge.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...an-it-succeed/

Wonder if they are using Hobby King parts?

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:57 PM   #2
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Sounded just like an rc car! Lol! I'm surprised they plan to switch cars during the race,rather than batteries. It's an idea I've already heard about to fix the problem of long charge times for electric vehicles. wonder what size battery it is? 50s, 60,000 mah?
Old 01-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #3
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

I looked into dragsters a few times that were electric. they generally run 100 3.7v cells, generally between 5000-10000mah depending on how many runs they want to make. almost all electric cars use nimh or li-ion cells. I've been pretty interested in an electric car conversion. I think now it could be done in the $5-10k range with decent range (100 miles or so possibly). lipo batteries would excell in these applications, but I think the main stream public is still afraid of lithium batteries.

I've often though about building a hybrid using lead acid batteries and a generator because I think the biggest hurdle in electric cars will be range. not performance, weight, or the cost of batteries.

really wouldn't be hard to build a trailer with a large and powerful generator on board, but I think you would still get worse mileage overall then if the car was purely gas.

pretend an electric car is 80% efficient. then you have to charge batteries at about 60% efficiencies, then you are also powering it on gas with might be only 20% efficient. then you have all the extra added weight of the batteries and motor, and engine. I firmly believe that a hybrid is a waste of time and there would still be very few if any application where it can exceed a gas motor.

I drive a 1987 ford thunderbird. I can average 35mpg with a 5.0 v-8 if I drive carefully and mainly drive freeway. a early 90's geo metro in the same conditions can get well over 50mpg. so why does a prius only get 42mpg?

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 01-10-2014, 07:29 PM   #4
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

Well for one, the Prius is 2 times the weight of a Metro. It's a porker.

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:44 PM   #5
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

exactly. if you look at weights of cars on average and gas mileage, the graph is nearly identical. you can have a small engine screaming along, or you can have a large one basically idling. my car weighs about 3800lbs with me in it. not exactly a light weight. but if you look at a 1960's dodge charger, it weighs less then a new one. that'd absolutely ridiculous.

but we gotta have all the fancy stuff, like abs brakes, traction control, 35 air bags, ect.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 01-31-2014, 05:47 AM   #6
c.sitas

Friends: (0)

Sad to say but, this case is very similar to global warming. Boils down to who has what money where and how loud they are. I'll stick with the planes my self. Already learned about solar panels, to the tune of close to 40,000. I am no expert but I know in my life time that was money gone. Can't see the electric car as king either, ever.Still needs coal or similar to get going again.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:56 AM   #7
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

When you drive an e-power car in the US you are essentially driving a coal powered car. The majority of electric generation in the US uses coal.
One of the dirtiest fuels on the planet...
Thankfully we have figured out how to scrub the smoke from the coal fired plants to keep most of the particulates out of the air or our air would be worse than Beijing's.
http://en.mercopress.com/2013/02/14/...rms-neighbours
Old 01-31-2014, 04:52 PM   #8
c.sitas

Friends: (0)

Also , if you noticed ,the scrubber work is a non ending process. This has to be, we need it.Regardless I really like building and flying and,well you know. Have fun.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:49 PM   #9
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Why could they do a quick lipo change during pitstops? LOL Make it as fast as a refuel.

I agree the tree-huggers don't get the fact that it all starts with fossil at least for now. Years ago in Texas we converted many plants to Natural Gas. It's great as long as Natural Gas remains cheap. Need to miniaturize nuke fuel cells.

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 01-31-2014, 06:37 PM   #10
fhhuber
Super Contributor

What we really need is the "Mr Fusion."

Old 01-31-2014, 06:44 PM   #11
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

LOL +1

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 01-31-2014, 07:28 PM   #12
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
When you drive an e-power car in the US you are essentially driving a coal powered car. The majority of electric generation in the US uses coal.
One of the dirtiest fuels on the planet...
Thankfully we have figured out how to scrub the smoke from the coal fired plants to keep most of the particulates out of the air or our air would be worse than Beijing's.
http://en.mercopress.com/2013/02/14/...rms-neighbours
Actually, 2012 electric generated power U.S. statistics show:

30% = NG
37% = Coal
19% = Nuclear
12% = re-newable (not hydro)
1% = oil (petro)

So, coal is not the majority.....62% of the electrical power generated in the U.S. is provided by sources other than coal.........

http://www.eia.gov/forecasts/aeo/er/early_elecgen.cfm

http://www.eia.gov/forecasts/aeo/er/...83er(2014).pdf

Just happened to have this info due to a recent study related to energy marketing I worked on as part of my Masters thesis........

AMA 928214
Old 01-31-2014, 08:49 PM   #13
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Don't dispute that info but the conundrum is the location of the population base that uses energy. If we took away coal today, you might as well turnoff the lights on the East Coast where 1/3 of the US population resides.

We have more wind farms in Texas than anywhere else in the US and it's still a very small contributor to our electrical power generation. This is partly due to this power getting out to the grid . Don't tell that to the birds. Ouch !

We have more NG than we know what to do with. Seems like the best option out there at least for transportation fuel and some electrical power. Nuke seems like the best bang for the buck if Jane Fonda and Robert Redford would not make movies. LOL

Oil from corn turned out to be a pretty stupid solution considering what it has done to raise food prices.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:48 PM   #14
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Nuke power is crippled by regulation. Simply costs too much to build a plant in the US... if you can manage to get a permit after spending $10 million+ for a basic plan and the environmental impact statement.

Then when they do build a plant, its built by the lowest bidder....
Old 01-31-2014, 11:45 PM   #15
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

"If we took away coal today, you might as well turnoff the lights on the East Coast where 1/3 of the US population resides."

How ironic, approx. 1/3 of the energy source is coal as well.....and where is that natural resource located.....?....in the eastern half of the country. (although the U.S. imports about 15% of it's coal).

There is a tremendous relationship between where the natural resources are harvested and where they are used as energy, not just in the U.S. but globally........that also makes a statement as to how the environmental regulations in this country differ from state to state.....density, open space, agriculture, wetlands, federal reserves (land) and population centers dictate the number of regulations and type of enforcement that is mandated from region to region.....it's not all established by monitary issues and resource abundance.

AMA 928214
Old 02-01-2014, 01:34 AM   #16
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

"Then when they do build a plant, its built by the lowest bidder...."

Actually, todays State & Federal funded energy and public works projects are chosen by "the lowest responsive, responsible bid". Factors related to "best engineering practices, design excellence, best economic value, quality assurance and constructability" all play a part in the overall selection process.......it's not just the "least expensive" bid that gets the project today..........I do this for a living on both sides of the fence.

AMA 928214

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions