Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-13-2014, 07:27 PM   #1
abborgogna

Friends: (0)
Default Flew my new Hobby People Waco

Took the new bright red Hobby People Waco Bi-Plane out for the first time this morning. After a couple of trim flights it seemed to be doing well. I need to play a little with the CG but it definitely has good possibilities. Anyone else out there flying one of these planes?
Andy
Old 02-01-2014, 09:41 PM   #2
dacaur

not flying one but have been looking at it with interest.... $100 for a RR plane this size is almost too good to pass up, but then, I have seen people burned by stuff that was too good to pass up but turned out to be crap.... definitely interested in hearing your thoughts on it... The biggest thing keeping me from seriously considering it right now is that there is NO info on it anywhere, no reviews, nothing, that I can find........
Old 02-01-2014, 11:34 PM   #3
abborgogna

OK, here is the straight skinny with my Waco. I was flying with a 1300mha battery which is about an ounce lighter than the recommended 1500mha. When I switched to a 1500mha battery the CG seemed right on.

Real problems encountered, the struts from the fuselage to the upper wing pulled away from the fuselage. They used some kind of rubber cement glue. I cleaned off all the original glue and then glued the struts using epoxy. So far so good, I also changed the elevator servo, I had a couple if incidents where the plane would nose down without any elevator input. Now in fairness to HP this could have been the cabane struts coming loose, but servos are so cheap I decided not to chance it. Since gluing the struts and replacing the servo the plane is flying quite nicely.

One thing to remember this is a flat bottom airfoil, and the old saying "you control the altitude with throttle and speed with the elevator." is really true. Full throttle she climbs, throttle low she comes down and somewhere in between she fly's very scale like. Takeoffs and landings are predictable, I love tail draggers! All in all on a scale of 1 to 5, I would give the Waco a 3.5. One last thing the scale prop that come with the plane, works but I prefer the way it fly's with an APC 9x6E. That's just a preference not a slam on the stock prop.

Hope that helps.
Andy
Old 02-02-2014, 12:43 AM   #4
dacaur

how tough is it to assemble/dissasemble? i really dont have room for a fully assembled plane that size, at home or in the jeep.... I have my GWS pico tigermoth that stays fully assembled, and thats about as big as I can do, otherwise it has to come apart in the car...
Old 02-02-2014, 06:29 AM   #5
abborgogna

Assembly took about two hours. I leave my assembled, it fits behind the seat in my Ford Ranger. It's really not a big plane, go to a Hobby People and take a look at one, you might be surprised at the size.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:06 AM   #6
propnut48

Club: Never joined one as of yet
Send a message via Skype™ to propnut48
Friends: (2)
Default propnut48

I also purchased the Waco and on its maiden it would not get off the ground as it was so underpowered all i could do is taxi. I install a higher 1540KV motor and have not been able to test it yet but it has quite a bit more power then the 900KV stock motor. Was an easy swap. I installed a 2200 30C battery and it is right on the balance specs. I have talked to 4 other people and all said the same think about being underpowered. I will need to check the strut mounts as they do not look very sturdy. Will let you know as to how it flies.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:31 AM   #7
abborgogna

I too switched to 3s 2200mha batteries with no problems. As for the motor issue mine has plenty of power with the stock motor. Sounds to me like there is something very wrong with your motor. Which Hobby People store did you get it from? My power problem occurred about 15 flights into the program. My ESC just smoked when I plugged in the battery. The good news is it happened in the back of my truck, not in the air. I replaced it with a 36amp CC ESC, so far so good.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:00 PM   #8
propnut48

Default propnut48

I purchased it at the Redlands H/P. I bought a new replacement motor and it was the same. I also replaced the ESC to a slightly higher amp rating and rated for a 4S pack too. When I replaced the motor to a higher KV motor it came alive and had lots of pull. I'm not using the stock prop as it is too thin and no pitch. I'm using an APC 9X5.5 electric prop. I want to go to El Mirage dry lake or Rabbit dry lake and try it out. I also have the H/P Zero and it's great. Not real fast but a very good flier.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:19 PM   #9
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by propnut48 View Post
I purchased it at the Redlands H/P. I bought a new replacement motor and it was the same. I also replaced the ESC to a slightly higher amp rating and rated for a 4S pack too. When I replaced the motor to a higher KV motor it came alive and had lots of pull. I'm not using the stock prop as it is too thin and no pitch. I'm using an APC 9X5.5 electric prop. I want to go to El Mirage dry lake or Rabbit dry lake and try it out. I also have the H/P Zero and it's great. Not real fast but a very good flier.
Welcome to Wattflyer propnut48.......I too frequent the Redlands, CA. Hobby People shop, since I live and fly in the Highland, north San Bernardino and Yucaipa area..........that shop has two pretty knowledgable fixed wing folks there. The young manager (nice little lady) has been flying since she was 7yrs. old......she's got game.

I've never purchased any planes from them (except quite a few GWS parts and Tiger Moth, Slow Stick kits)........I'm sold on Parkzone, E-Flight Blade and Spektrum, which they do not carry.

Good to see you here at Wattflyer.....it's one of the most tolerating and knowledgable web-sites related to fixed wing craft on the internet!

AMA 928214
Old 02-27-2014, 04:42 PM   #10
abborgogna

I too stopped using the stock prop. I switched to an APC 9x6E and it does get the job done. I still don't understand why your motor didn't get it done and mine has no problem. I even do some basic scale stunts, loops stall turns and big barrel rolls. I still think there was something wrong with the original motor or the ESC had a problem, or the transmitter was limiting the motor speed. If you want, send me the failing motor and I will do a comparison against mine and see what the difference is. I hate problems like this, they make no sense to me.
Andy
Old 02-27-2014, 08:45 PM   #11
propnut48

Default propnut48

Yea , not really sure what was going on with the motor. i looked at the stator and couldn't see any faulty wires. I installed a new motor just like the old one and changed the ESC and still the same. Even tried a 45C 2200 Mah bat. and no change. Can't believe that I might have 2 bad motors,but..... I had a 1500+Kv motor sitting around and installed it in it and it came to life. Will probably use them in a twin I may build in the future. All's good now though.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:23 AM   #12
propnut48

My Waco is dead. The top wing decided to go it's own way. It is now Trash candy. Dove straight to the ground. Shoved the motor 4" into fuse. Oh well own to the next wreck.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:26 AM   #13
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

Originally Posted by propnut48 View Post
My Waco is dead. The top wing decided to go it's own way. It is now Trash candy. Dove straight to the ground. Shoved the motor 4" into fuse. Oh well own to the next wreck.
Your Not Alone The Top Wing on Those Planes dont seem to be secured very well and do come off, with RTFs and ARFs Go over the Plane real good with a Fine Tooth comb, and if mounting points look weak, Re Engineer them to be stronger, I have had to do that with some ARFs that look to be weak in some areas, mostly the motor mounting to the fuselage, Take care, Chellie

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2131523

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 04-21-2014, 04:53 AM   #14
Chucksolo69

Friends: (1)

If the quality of the Waco was anywhere near that of the Hobby People A6M Zero, I'm not surprised that the top wing let go. My HP Zero is pretty bad on quality and I'm sorry I paid $140.00 for it. These planes are made by Taft Hobby in China and are pretty badly made, especially if you're used to quality planes from Parkzone/Eflight, Flyzone/Electrifly, FMS or Durafly.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:45 AM   #15
abborgogna

I had problems with a wing strut coming loose from the fuselage after a couple of flights. I mentioned that early on in this thread. I re-glued the problem one with epoxy and no more problems. But if both center struts had come loose I probably would have had the same results. I still don't understand the motor power problem, I have no power issues, my Waco flys very well with the stock motor that came with it. I did smoke the ESC after a few flights and some of the people who got the Waco later opened up the spaces between the faux cylinders to let air in to cool the ESC. Something to think about.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:38 PM   #16
propnut48

I reglued the strut hangers , both bottom and top and it still ripped the brackets off the foam. Wasn't meant to be, I guess. Thought it was a pretty plane too. Oh, Well!
Won't be buying ANY more HP planes in the future. The only plane I fly from HP is the Real thing. It is a good flyer with a 1800+Kv motor and a 2200/30C 3 cell pack. Also got the ACE Sept. Fury and it was WAY out of balance even when balanced at 25% back. I don't know how I got it back to earth the first flight. Looked like a dolphin the first flight. Didn't even try to use the stock brushed motor. I installed a 1900Kv motor and she is a hauler! Don't wreck it though as it is just styro no EPO or EPP. It will snow!
Also want to know how many planes is too many,Ha ha? Is 25 built and 15 waiting to be built too many? I say no, my wife says yes. Could be into Harleys or Sports cars still.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:54 PM   #17
nagromnewo

Send a message via Skype™ to nagromnewo

Hi

Mine just arrived yesterday.

Can you please describe more in detail how the wing failed? Was it the bracket coming clean off the foam at the glue line, or did the foam itself fail? I'd like to try to reinforce this before the maiden.

Owen
Old 09-27-2014, 01:08 AM   #18
abborgogna

When my struts failed I removed all the glue from the strut and then scuffed it up with some sandpaper. Then I glued it with epoxy, I have had no problem since then.
Andhy
Old 10-05-2014, 05:41 PM   #19
nagromnewo

Send a message via Skype™ to nagromnewo

Hi

My hobby people Waco is ready for the maiden flight.

I drilled through at the wing strut bases and installed bolts, then filled with foam safe CA from the opposite side. I also didn't like the cheap nylon clevises. One was already broken on arrival. I replaced the push rods for the tail surfaces with longer ones from a Hobby Zone Cub, then cut and used each of the others for where I needed shorter ones. That way I could use proper linkage stoppers.

Hopefully, my bolts will keep the top wing in place. The maiden flight is waiting for time and weather.

Owen

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141004_191456.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	177720   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141004_191539.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	177721   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141004_191747.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	177722   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141005_123416.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	177723  
Old 10-07-2014, 06:31 PM   #20
propnut48

I went back and told them and they said they have had a couple do the same thing. No more HP plane from now on. Walked out with a Hadron though. OMG ,that thing ROCKS! It is fast even with a 3 cell , I can only imagine it with a 4 cell. Faster then my little park can handle. Tough bird too.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies