Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-15-2014, 02:59 AM   #1
The steve

Friends: (0)
Default First post, another "next plane" thread

Hi all, I'm new here soo um yeah, please don't flame me too bad~

Anyways I have a little hobbyzone champ that while I like, is starting to feel a,little small and slow~so I'm looking at getting my next plane, only problem is I can't decide on what DX I've looked at reviews and such but I can only remember so much ^^; so I thought if get your opinions. If eventually like to get into jets ( F22 raptor!!) But I don't this I'm ready for them just yet. I have a lot of experience on rc flight sims on all aircraft and fly then without any problems.I have also punished the little champ a fair bit with high winds and attempted areobatics XD. Only two crashes weren't really my fault as the first one done grass got caught on the LG on touchdown and the second it ran out of battery in the high wind and the wind punished it~

My budget is limited to a max of $250 aud so I've been looking at hobby king for a bit (Aussie wharehouse) and I like a few of their planes~but I know it can be hit and miss on quality~

I was looking at ~
The durafly PH-88
the durafly corsair and thunderbolt
The 800mm racing series (didn't realise they were racers like the rarebears DX)

Someone told me not to go with scales as they'd be til hard for me to land (could have been referring to the grass field) and instead get a powered glider trainer thing~which if rather not get~

And with these (HK) if be using either the HK controllers or the the turnigy ones~

All help appreciated ^^
Old 01-15-2014, 03:08 AM   #2
Ace007

There is a great a-10 on Nitroplanes that is a good step up, but also a challenge. Have fun flying!
Old 01-15-2014, 03:33 AM   #3
The steve

I'll look into it thanks ^^
Old 01-15-2014, 04:42 AM   #4
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Nitroplanes is a US distributor... might not be the best plan for someone "down under"
Old 01-15-2014, 05:48 AM   #5
The steve

You make a good point~shipping is $95~
Old 01-15-2014, 06:09 AM   #6
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Steve,

Definetely dont get the Durafly DH-88. It's a beauitiful plane but has a vicious stall due to the highly tapered wings. I've been flying over 40 years and I'd hesitate to buy one.

The 800mm 'racers' are nice but I'd say too big a jump. I have the RareBear and it's a heap of fun but the small size and high speed (95-100mph in fast on an 800mm model) makes it pretty tricky. As they have no landing gear it's hand launch only which for a model this heavily loaded and fast is in itself not beginner friendly.

Some of the other Durafly range may be fine but if you are flying from rough grass retracts are likely to be a problem. If you like jets you might even consider the DH-100 Vampire, it would be a big step but it's actually a pretty easy flying model and not very fast, so you may be able to handle it. It would certainly be easier than the DH-88 or the Rare-Bear

My flying buddy just picked up a Durafly Monocoupe and if you like that type of plane it would make a good next step.

Someone will no doubt suggest the Park-Zone T-28, so I'll get in first.. the T-28 is a real nice model and would be a good next step. I'm not sure how the Durafly version compares but based on spec I'd guess it's a little faster flying, and therefore not quite as easy as the Park-Zone one.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:25 AM   #7
The steve

well that ruined my day the DH 88 is gorgeous

and i thought the speed and the size of the RB may have been tricky for me ill be sure o try and avoid them for now ^^

and i dunno if id call the grass rough, its a football feild near my house~it has a cricket pitch on it if that makes a difference~and ill check that one out~

and how does the Monocoupe fly, in the vids ive seen it looks kinda slow~

and im afraid the PZ T-28s are a bit outta my range at the moment ^^;
Old 01-15-2014, 07:09 AM   #8
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Friends: (4)

Originally Posted by The steve View Post
well that ruined my day the DH 88 is gorgeous

and i thought the speed and the size of the RB may have been tricky for me ill be sure o try and avoid them for now ^^

and i dunno if id call the grass rough, its a football feild near my house~it has a cricket pitch on it if that makes a difference~and ill check that one out~

and how does the Monocoupe fly, in the vids ive seen it looks kinda slow~

and im afraid the PZ T-28s are a bit outta my range at the moment ^^;
I would personally stay away from Durafly, especially as a new flyer. They are great looking planes, surpassing many others in looks. I had the Durafly Spitfire, and it looked a lot more accurate than the Parkzone. The issue, however, is parts. The Durafly, at least with the Spitfire, uses a unique spinner assembly, as well as one made for 4 bladed props. Yes, a two blade can be used, but it doesn't exactly look great with two prop blade spaces. Also the spinner adapter on the motor is proprietary, and thus will not fit other spinners I believe. The motor has no shaft, and needs the adapter, unless you can fit another motor shaft in it. Either way, you will have to play around with modding.

To go with the issue of parts, I smacked the plane up right away. On my first flight, the tail wheel snapped and I lost steering. With the veering left from the turning of the prop, it went slowly, but surely, into a curb, just enough spin left to snap two blades, believe it or not, making the 4 blade into a 2 blade. With this the prop was useless and the prop my LHS suggested was just as useless. I didn't know at the time what I needed so I listened to them. I finally got a good prop on the plane, and I launched it. It took off, then veered right, flipping over. The plane was, more or less, totalled, and I suspect it was from a weakened rudder servo from the other crashes. The plane uses plastic mounts in the foam to hold the wing on, and these tore right out of the foam, and there would be no way to repair this to a good strength. I looked for new parts, the fuselage, wing, canopy, guns, and a few other things. By the way, I waited months for the parts to all be out of the backordered state. At checkout the site told me the box was too big to ship to Canada, which doesn't make sense, for the plane itself came with way more parts. Clearly they aren't efficient at packing. With the need for 2 shipments, at around $30 to ship each time, it is the cost of a new plane.

Yes, I know it may sound biased, but the Mini Switch is an amazing plane, other than the landing gear. You can take that off though, with a bit of CG adjustment. You can start in topwing, and then go to bottom. To get more speed, I have a Turnigy 2836, with a potential thrust ratio of 1:2, meaning stunt plane abilities. With a higher pitch prop, the speed is very good. There are very few issues with the plane; I have had issues with the mid/bottom wing slot inserts falling out, although I do not plane to go to top wing anymore, as well as the wings not fitting quite snug in the spaces, which was resolved by cutting the lock part of zipties off and used them as spacers.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:00 AM   #9
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I'd certainly not dismiss the entire Durafly range just on the basis of one plane, that by the sounds of things was far too much for your experience level at the time. Spitfires a a general rule can be quite tricky models to fly.

The Monocoupe flies great. It's a tail dragger and short coupled so take off requires some concentration but in the air she's great. Quite aerobatic but easy to fly too. It slows up really well for landing. I agree it's not the fastest plane out there but it's just not meant to be a racer. Personally speed in itself doesnt do much for me, it actually gets quite tedious aftrer a while, but that's just me. Others seem to enjoy tearing along the field, turning round and tearing back all day.

A guy i sometimes fly with has the Durafly Vampire and he says it's a fantastic plane. His only isue is that it has louvres in the bottom of the fuselage which on take off tends to suck in debris which than gets sucked into the fan and breaks the blades. he put some mesh over the louvres to prevent it.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:07 AM   #10
The steve

@the piper92: I'll have a look at the switch~sorry to hear about your exp with the spitfire~

@JetPlaneFlyer: really?how do cosairs compare difficulty wise?

And I realise speed isn't everybody thing too (aerobatics are nice to) I'm giving serious contemplation on the mono~

I haven't had the chance to check the vamp but its sounding better and better
Old 01-15-2014, 08:27 AM   #11
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Corsairs are usually pretty easy to fly, the ParkZone one really is almost like a trainer. I cant comment on the Durafly version other than based on quoted weight it's likely to fly quite a bit faster flying (which makes it harder to fly). Also it has retracts which are more prone to damage and harder to fix compared to fixed landing gear.

My advice would be to avoid anything with retracts until you are confident that you can nail every landing, unless you can maybe land with gear up if you have nice soft grass.

You might check RCGroups for build/flying threads. They have dedicated threads for all the Durafly models and you should get some good feedback from owners as to the strengths and weaknesses of each model.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:54 AM   #12
The steve

I shall stay away from retracts then ^^ and look into the other place for durafly stuffs^^

Any other recommendations from HK?anyone?
Old 01-15-2014, 01:08 PM   #13
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
I'd certainly not dismiss the entire Durafly range just on the basis of one plane, that by the sounds of things was far too much for your experience level at the time. Spitfires a a general rule can be quite tricky models to fly.

The Monocoupe flies great. It's a tail dragger and short coupled so take off requires some concentration but in the air she's great. Quite aerobatic but easy to fly too. It slows up really well for landing. I agree it's not the fastest plane out there but it's just not meant to be a racer. Personally speed in itself doesnt do much for me, it actually gets quite tedious aftrer a while, but that's just me. Others seem to enjoy tearing along the field, turning round and tearing back all day.

A guy i sometimes fly with has the Durafly Vampire and he says it's a fantastic plane. His only isue is that it has louvres in the bottom of the fuselage which on take off tends to suck in debris which than gets sucked into the fan and breaks the blades. he put some mesh over the louvres to prevent it.
It probably was too much to handle at the time, though a failed servo was the cause of the crash, the rudder was to the extreme right, and the plane didn't even strike the tail area during the crash. The durafly spitfire was reviewed to be a controllable flier. My reason for staying away from durafly is parts however. Someone flying their second plane could smack the plane up, and if you need multiple parts, it ends up cheaper getting a brand new plane. Now a smaller plane, 800mm, would not likely have had the shipping restrictions. I'm not saying durafly is bad, they are some of the best looking planes, but for a second plane, I'd look to a plane that would be cheaper to fix and parts are available locally. Maybe some other durafly models or hk models are better, but I'd wait till I were very confident at flying before purchasing.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:46 PM   #14
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I'm note sure where Steve is but Hobbyking have 'local' warehouses in the US, the UK, Europe and Australia, and they all carry Durafly models, so shipping should not be a big issue.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:52 PM   #15
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
I'm note sure where Steve is but Hobbyking have 'local' warehouses in the US, the UK, Europe and Australia, and they all carry Durafly models, so shipping should not be a big issue.
It would all depend on where you live. For me, shipping to Canada is way to expensive from the us warehouse, at least 15 for a smaller package.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:05 PM   #16
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Steve,

I have the Durafly Spitty. Nice plane. I even have a gyro in her. Parts have not been an issue for me. Replaced fuse after an on-board fire. LOL

I HAD (past tense) the DH-88 . Nice looking, fast, but not intended for grass fields. Very weak LG and as Jet mentioned, a notorious tip staller.

Seems like the consensus around these parts for a "second plane" is the venerable and ubiquitous PZ T-28. I HAD one(past tense) until a big oak tree popped up out of nowhere. Was one of my favorites though.

What planes do you like? Civilian ?, Twin engine? Warbirds? Large scale ? Sport Aero? EDF ? I think I have at least 2 of each type.

Don't fret over EDF's. They are not that difficult to fly. I have several of the inexpensive 50mm Jpowers series( T-45,T-33,F-16, F-18, Screamer) , a few 64mm, and a 70mm I'm building out of foam (X47B) I have some small prop planes like the Rare Bear that are faster.

For a first EDF, I highly recommend the Freewing F9F Panther. Inexpensive, well built and an easy flier. Here in the States, Value Hobby sells them for USD$69.00 PNP. The EF-16 by Phase 3 is another easy flying 64mm edf, but I don't like the foam. It's more or less, beer cooler foam and is fragile. I have the Stinger 4S version I bought from HK. Very nice plane when dialed-in . Has a rudder. Did I mention Knife edge?

My current favorites as far as brands go are FMS and Freewing. Both are high quality IMO and a serious threat to HH. Have the FW Mossy and FMS P-51D V7 and P-40 All about 1400mm. Great planes if you're a Warbird fan. I think FMS is the new gold standard for foam planes.

On the lower end but not bad at all are the Dynams. A lot of plane for the money. I have the FW-190 and Cessna 310. Both excellent flyers. Had the Spitty until I didn't. I actually liked the Dynam version better than the Durafly All flyable off grass with some minor LG mods.

Also found that by going to swap meets and looking around at sites like RCG, you can find some great buys. I bought a like new GP Escapade for USD $100 and an Eflight Deuces Wild for USD $200. These two planes are my prized possessions

Do you like to build things? Then kits might be an option too. GWS and Multiplex have some nice ones.

Lots of choices out there for you to consider but go out and get something while it's still summer and fly !

Cheers,

Hawk
Old 01-15-2014, 09:42 PM   #17
The steve

@ JetPlaneFlyer and ThePiper92: I should have mentioned that I do live in Australia ^^ QLD to be presise~

@ahawk: to what I like~well most things XD, all combat jets, old warbirds (yes including twin engine) biplanes, racers (in real life), the ones they use in stunt shows, cropdusters.

For scale I think at the moment the biggest id go is 1200~

And I'll look into swap meets and forum classifieds^^

And I'll look around and see if I can find a dynam distribute in aus, they sound nice ^^

And while yes I do like to build, I find the stuff I build is usually cursed DX

Thanks for the help ^^
Old 01-15-2014, 10:38 PM   #18
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

@ JetPlaneFlyer and ThePiper92: I should have mentioned that I do live in Australia ^^ QLD to be presise~

@ahawk: to what I like~well most things XD, all combat jets, old warbirds (yes including twin engine) biplanes, racers (in real life), the ones they use in stunt shows, cropdusters.

For scale I think at the moment the biggest id go is 1200~

And I'll look into swap meets and forum classifieds^^

And I'll look around and see if I can find a dynam distribute in aus, they sound nice ^^

And while yes I do like to build, I find the stuff I build is usually cursed DX

Thanks for the help ^^

Well, from what I have seen, Australia is not the most popular place for rc products, though you think with no snow all year long, it would be an rc hotspot. Shipping is also likely expensive, although I have no experience with shipping to Australia. Whatever you get it may be costly, and parts not exactly easy to get. The best option is to get something you won't smack up, or at least until you attempt some harder manoeuvres, like inverted flight (full inverted, not just flying a quick straight line inverted), knife edges. That means you should get a plane that also allows these more complex manuevours. I would avoid EDF planes, as they usually need a longer take off or a better throw as more airspeed is required to keep the plane up. There are EDF planes that wouldn't be difficult though, like the Durafly Zephyr. You state you don't want a glider style, but some gliders are much less glider than others, like an AXN Cloudfly, which is available from HK. It was my first plane and crashed because of a malfunctioning Turnigy 6x that caused uncontrollable banking to the right, despite good trimming.

As for warbirds, maybe not the best option (certainly wasn't for me). They can be harder to land, and some need flaps, but you can belly land with the gear retracted. Another issue with warbirds are apparently the 4 blade props, which cause a lot more torque and prop wash than 2 blades, and pull the plane left. This can be fixed, clearly, with a 2 blade prop. Even my Mini Switch pulls left, but not nearly as much as the Durafly Spitfire. Furthermore, warbirds are low wings, and coming from a tiny trainer style plane, you are forced to change what you know about flying. Going to a Sport style/mid wing may be a better, less extreme step.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:52 PM   #19
The steve

Indeed your correct about shipping, every where outside aus (bar Ebay on some thing) ,shipping a plane is around $100, and buying from withing Australia nearly everything is $100 more to begin with due to price inflation, the HK Aussie Wharehouse only charges $20-60 for postage to me depending on what kind of postage I want, and they're products are cheap too, so that's why I was looking at them~

And I'm really just scared of gliders ^^; I've seen too many wings snap on people ^^;

And thanks~I'm starting to think th e monocoupe may be the one for me~

And your right about the lack of flyers in aus!I know a club (nowhere near me) that my dads gone past countless times and for the first time saw someone flying a plane last week a 2moro petrol plane(done sorta warbird) andhe's being going past for years~ I suppose wind could be the problem, anywhere that'sopen eenough to
Old 01-15-2014, 10:59 PM   #20
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Indeed your correct about shipping, every where outside aus (bar Ebay on some thing) ,shipping a plane is around $100, and buying from withing Australia nearly everything is $100 more to begin with due to price inflation, the HK Aussie Wharehouse only charges $20-60 for postage to me depending on what kind of postage I want, and they're products are cheap too, so that's why I was looking at them~

And I'm really just scared of gliders ^^; I've seen too many wings snap on people ^^;

And thanks~I'm starting to think th e monocoupe may be the one for me~

And your right about the lack of flyers in aus!I know a club (nowhere near me) that my dads gone past countless times and for the first time saw someone flying a plane last week a 2moro petrol plane(done sorta warbird) andhe's being going past for years~ I suppose wind could be the problem, anywhere that'sopen eenough to
You can get a semi-glider plane, which has larger wingspan, but not extreme wingspan. My Radian Pro has extreme wing span, but the Cloudfly did not. Wider wings do help with stability, and make the plane less "snappy". I like my Radian Pro, and I will enjoy it in the summer where I can probably lay on the field and glide for an hour. It isn't extremely fast, and doesn't barrel roll, but it isn't a tricky plane to fly. When I kick on high throws on my Mini Switch, it is extremely responsive, and can barrel roll a few times a second.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:15 PM   #21
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Been to your wonderful Land of OZ on two separate occasions during the 90's. Never made it up to Queensland. Mainly NSW. Around Sydney, stayed in French's Forest and an another trip up in Hunters Valley where a friend has a vineyard. Been down to Melbourne. Flew over the Blue Mountains. Considered yourself blessed to live in such a great place. Take away the funnel web spider and some nasty jellyfish and it's perfection . LOL

1200mm ? Yes, look at Durafly from HK: www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/au.asp?HobbyKing_Australia_Hobby

and Dynam. I'm almost 100% sure there's a Dynam distributor in Australia: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...607953&page=11

Plus, you're much closer to the centroplex of rc mfg. China !

I believe HK even has a warehouse in Australia.

Good Luck ! Check out your local clubs. I believe there quite a few in Sydney and Melbourne

-Hawk
Old 01-15-2014, 11:22 PM   #22
The steve

It is, unless its in a drought, or on fire or in a cyclone XD

NSW is nicer then QLD I think~

And I'll check that link for dynam~
And that we may be, but postage can still me a pain, and anything imported goes up by a ridiculous amount XD

And they do which is why I'm looking at there stuff
Old 01-16-2014, 09:12 AM   #23
The steve

what aboutthese ones ?(mono is outta stock~)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
Old 01-16-2014, 10:31 AM   #24
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

I would pick either the T-28 or Corsair with the expectation that the LG will fail on grass. Can still hand launch them.

Just my 2 cents....

-Hawk
Old 01-16-2014, 10:34 AM   #25
The steve

Thanks hawk, you're two cents are worth more then mine

I was pretty sure that was the Case with the LG and belly landings aren't an option. I suppose I could land in a nearbyish carpark, if noones there~

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners

Tags
plane , recommendation