Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-27-2014, 11:51 PM   #1
Karnsy

Friends: (0)
Default First Jet ?

I know this might be a silly question but other than an EDF what would be a good slow (for a jet) jet to start with. I have several HH planes and think I would like to get a jet this spring. Looking for something in a PNP or BNF. Thoughts please...........
Old 01-28-2014, 01:29 AM   #2
tarheal63

Send a message via AIM to tarheal63 Send a message via Yahoo to tarheal63
Friends: (3)
Default First Jet ?

Hobby People phase 3 f-16 is very popular. I have the Hobby Lobby(express) versions of the mig and panther. Very tame jets but you can spin em up if you want to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HZ SuperCub. PZ Spit(Older), Dynam EZ Hawk, GWS A-10(prop), HL F9F Panther, GWS ME-109, E-Flite P-47D, Jodel BeBe 9, HL Wicked Wabbit P-47, BL Slow Stick, PZ T-28, Electrifly SE-5A, HL Mig-15, PZ Stinson, Quad and Tricopters
AMA #973528
Old 01-28-2014, 02:37 AM   #3
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by Karnsy View Post
I know this might be a silly question but other than an EDF what would be a good slow (for a jet) jet to start with. I have several HH planes and think I would like to get a jet this spring. Looking for something in a PNP or BNF. Thoughts please...........

LOL
Every jet foamie I've seen at our club goes like a bat out of heck. Even my el-cheapo EDF model moves right along. But, the pilots that have been buying them also are flying the giant scale models when the weather allows, so they are looking for the real fast ones. Two guys hit well over 100 MPH with their respective foamie jets last fall.

(Right now, its -2F around here, and windy as heck with a foot of snow on the field. A year ago, we were flying off of grass at our club field.)

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 01-28-2014, 05:14 AM   #4
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

Almost any of the foamies that fly on 3s should be manageable. Like the F-15, 16, and 18 in 64 mm edf size. There are plenty others. I have a Hobby King F-4D Skyray that could hardly pass a HZ Super Cub in its stock form. When they feel slow, then you can upgrade to a 4s power system so it can really fly like a jet. My first edf was the Dynam Turbojet, a Cessna Citation bizjet copy, and I really liked it. Twin motor power and a straight wing were the attractions. An A-10 would be similar, but the arf's out there don't usually have functioning rudders. The Turbojet does. Los of choices, but I think 3s 64 mm is the key to a beginners edf if you don't mind 'small' planes. And then as usual read real people's experiences with any plane you choose before buying it.

Edit: forgot about hand launching. I always rog, so I forgot 3s edf's may be challenging to hand launch depending how heavy they are and how strong your arm is!
Old 01-28-2014, 05:32 AM   #5
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Dynam Me262 is a very stable aircraft, not excessively fast and slows down well.

See my notes about it elsewhere in these forums and in Nitroplanes.com's customer reviews.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:17 PM   #6
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

For ease of flying, I would recommend the Phase 3 EF16( Hobby People) or the Freewing F9F Panther( Value Hobby) The down side to the Phase 3 F-16 is the beer cooler foam. Not good in the event of a mishap. Both were extremely easy to fly without much drama but enough to keep you on your toes.

For a tad bit more fun, I recommend the Stinger. I have the 4S version and it's a lot of fun. This plane does have a rudder. Did I hear Knife Edge? LOL A really nice plane but probably a second edf.

For the smaller 50mm jets, I have a bunch of the Jpowers series( T-45, F-16, T-33, F-18, Screamer) They are also a lot of fun but twitchier than the larger 64mm jobs.
The Screamer and F-18 are my current favorites but the T-45 is the easiest to fly.

Good luck. The only thing about these planes is to add plenty of expo and stay ahead of them. They are not intimidating at all.

-Hawk
Old 01-28-2014, 06:23 PM   #7
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Without question the UM Mig or UM Habu.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:36 PM   #8
earthsciteach

Friends: (5)

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...arehouse_.html

All of my landings are three point landings if you count the spinner, too
Old 01-30-2014, 11:11 PM   #9
Karnsy

Default Thanks

Thank you for all your info. I really like the T45.
What about this one ? I am thinking it might be a good beginner jet. Not available right now but maybe soon ???
http://www.nitroplanes.com/exrcfpharfed.html

I also wonder about this one if I was to take it easy....
http://www.nitroplanes.com/95a251-f18-blue-arf.html
Old 01-30-2014, 11:30 PM   #10
fhhuber
Super Contributor

F-18 is a better choice than a Phantom... the Phantom has some inherent stability issues.

There are common issues with any EDF.

You have to ensure the fan has adequate intake flow and a good thrust tube for best results. Many foam ARF/RTF edf models have decent thrust tubes molded in but inadequate intake. If you find the model to seem to have limited power, you can often cure it by carefully opening up the intakes and/or "cheater holes". (I had to open the cheater holes to 8X original area for an Art-Tech F-18)

The EDF may produce more thrust at mid throttle than at full throttle at low airspeed. Its important to remember this especially for take-off. You can often use a shorter runway by slowly advancing the throttle instead of advancing it as rapidly as you are used to when flying a prop driven plane. Full throttle thrust will build up with airspeed (up to max the fan can produce) due to a ram-intake effect.

Tight turns and other maneuvers can bleed speed and get you back into the speed range where the fan isn't producing its best full throttle thrust.

You have to think a bit differently flying the EDF. If you remember the common issues you can avoid them easily.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:09 AM   #11
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Karnsey,

I'm a huge fan of both full scale planes. The designation is incorrect on the Phantom though. The Navy never flew the E model. Just the B, J and N. Anywhoo...

I agree that the F-4 will be much more difficult to fly. Heck, the full scale version was called "the brick" Had a 50mm Jpowers F4N and it was a real dog.

The F-18 will perform much better IMO. All my edf's are hand launchers 50mm or 64mm. I now have a 70mm scratch built X47B . The easiest has been the F9F Panther.

Naval Air Superiority!
Old 01-31-2014, 01:16 AM   #12
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Actually, one of our club members who flies a lot of edf's said his 64 mm FMS F-4 is the best flying edf he's ever had. Don't know how that one will compare.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:40 AM   #13
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Phantoms can be really nice... but I just don't recommend as a first EDF for someone scared of speed. You need to keep the speed up. The Phantom has a nasty stall-spin characteristic that the F-18 avoids.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:49 PM   #14
Siberianhusky

Club: Human Race

You might be waiting a LOOOONG time from Nitroplanes/hobbyparts!
Some things have been out of stock years (literally), seems they get a container load of something, when it sells out that's it, but it will remain on the website out of stock.
I've been watching a few things from them, kind of gave up as stock hasn't been replenished.
I haven't bought much from them, but when stuff is in stock you can't beat some of the prices.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:56 PM   #15
Karnsy

Default My Decision

Well after much research I have decided to go with the F18
I hope it works out for me. It has gotten great reviews. For the price I could not go wrong. I have another Nitroplanes (P51mustang) and so far so good with that one. I have a lot of room to fly it so turning should not be an issue. Should be in this coming week. Thanks to all of you that took the time to help me out.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:13 PM   #16
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,179 Times in 2,086 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (314)

I hope it works out for me. It has gotten great reviews. For the price I could not go wrong. I have another Nitroplanes (P51mustang) and so far so good with that one. I have a lot of room to fly it so turning should not be an issue. Should be in this coming week. Thanks to all of you that took the time to help me out.
The F18 is a nice jet, Just remember to keep the speed up, speed is your friend with EDF jets if you try to fly them to slow, they will stall on you, because jets tend to have a heavier wing loading, Take care and have fun, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 02-01-2014, 02:26 PM   #17
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Great ! and of course, Go Navy !

I have a smaller 50mm F-18. I hand launch it. Like Chellie mentioned, keep your speed up, especially in the turns. Fly her in "Big Air" and stay out in front of her. I'd include plenty of expo in the beginning. Say, 40% on ailerons and elevator.

Should be lots of fun. Enjoy !

-Hawk
Old 02-01-2014, 02:39 PM   #18
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Interesting choice - good luck!
Old 02-01-2014, 06:54 PM   #19
fhhuber
Super Contributor

I had the earlier version of the Airfield F-18. That's the one that I drastically increased the cheater hole size for.

Later I opened up the area behind the nosewheel for a 1800 mah 3S which kept the CG the same as the OEM 900 mah in front of the nosewheel. (apparently they read my review about the battery) With the available power being better (better airflow) it handled the added weight just fine.

Stock out of box it was really struggling until I had it high enough to do a dive and get the ram-air effect going.

Don't hesitate to open the cheater holes if it seems to lack power. Double length and 4 times as wide as the old version's holes...

Found a pic of the new version's belly. They didn't change the cheater holes. They did the behind the nose-wheel battery compartment (left the old forward one too...) All of the rest looks the same as the one I had.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:41 PM   #20
Karnsy

Default Got it !

Well the Nitroplanes Blue Angels F-18 got delivered yesterday.
Packed well, all is good there however............
Looks like I will need to make some mods already before flying.

1. The battery compartment, as there is no way any of my 3cell 1800 or 2200 batteries will ever fit. I need to extend the compartment by 3/4" which is odd since those are the recommended battery sizes..hmmmm. Some plastic cutting is in need.

2. I need to get 2 servo leads as the RX is best going up front and not on top of the ESC, there is no way servo wires will reach.

Other than that I am looking forward to the maiden
Old 02-08-2014, 04:41 PM   #21
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Good luck on the maiden. Just an fyi, many rc models of jet fighters have a very forward cg, so it that's what the instructions tell you, believe it! My F-35 and F-104 cg is probably 1/4" aft of where the wing meets the fuselage.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:06 PM   #22
Karnsy

What I do not get is a 1300 fits perfect, I think I am going to have solder longer esc leads on (hardly long enough clip a battery in) but the 1300 fits like a glove in the factory compartment. But I think that may ruin the ESC.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:26 PM   #23
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Which F-18 did you get? The 64mm ? I have a 50mm Jpowers job that I can easily get a 1000mah 3S inside the cabin
Old 02-08-2014, 11:56 PM   #24
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Ruin the ESC? A higher mah battery won't ruin the ESC, but too many cells, hence too much voltage, can.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:03 AM   #25
fhhuber
Super Contributor

You can usually extend the ESC wires to double original length without much worry. If you are really concerned you can double up the capacitors that are on the ESC. That allows you to extend the wires even more.

Excess wire length between battery and ESC can cause an inductive "snap" which can blow up the ESC. The chance of this happening is higher at mid-range than at full throttle.
Its safer to extend the wires between ESC and motor, but you need to keep the lengths even.

The original version of that F-18 had a 12 inch extension between ESC and battery and no added capacitors.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets