Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-29-2014, 08:27 PM   #1
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)
Default New models from Spektrum DX6, DX18t and DX18 v2

Looks like Spektrum is doing a major product upgrade. An all new DX6 has been announced that has many features from the DX9 including voice alerts and 250 model memory, wireless trainer link, plus more advanced programming and cool new looks.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...mode-2-SPM6700

The DX18t is based on the 10t but with more channels and the now 'standard' features of voice and 250 model memory, etc.

The DX18 v2 gets voice alerts, 250 model memory and wireless trainer, plus a few minor updates. Visually it's little changed from the 'old' DX18: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ode-2-SPM18100

This leaves the old DX6i and DX8 looking a bit out on a limb in the Spektrum product range, and maybe some DX18QQ owners feeling a bit hard done by, but I guess that's progress! IMHO it was all inevitable when FrSky released the Teranis, which of course is a good thing.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:50 PM   #2
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

250 models? Crazy. Wish I wouldnt have just bought a new dx6i.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 01-29-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

WTS just texted me on this.

Not sure what the DX6 @ $226.00 doesn't have in comparison to the DX9 @ $350.00 besides 3 less channels . Looks like the same HMI , model, memory, voice alert SW, wireless trainer feature.

I bought the DX9 without really needing 9 channels but what the heck, they're there.

Are they eating their own young or trying to sweep the table, grabbing the mass market share of potential 6 channel customers? Say goodnight to JR, Futaba, Hitec, Airtronics and yes, Taranis.

It's Game over.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:32 PM   #4
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

[QUOTE=dahawk;938415]WTS just texted me on this.

Not sure what the DX6 @ $226.00 doesn't have in comparison to the DX9 @ $350.00 besides 3 less channels . Looks like the same HMI , model, memory, voice alert SW, wireless trainer feature.

I bought the DX9 without really needing 9 channels but what the heck, they're there.

Are they eating their own young or trying to sweep the table, grabbing the mass market share of potential 6 channel customers? Say goodnight to JR, Futaba, Hitec, Airtronics and yes, Taranis.

It's Game over.[/QUOTE

Nice thing about Spektrum. Outside of one of the very early systems, all their receivers are both forward and backward compatible. So, new Spektrum transmitter designs don't make all of your existing receivers a candidate for the round file cabinet.

That is not always true of some of the other brands.

Plus a substantial portion of a radios design is the design cost of the computer programming of the radios microcontrollers that run everything. Once that's done, it's much easier to port that design over to other less costly transmitters. Bottom line, before retiring, the engineers at the company I worked for indicated that 90% of the design cost of a new computerized product is the software programming and debugging design. The other 10% is the hardware design. Also, perhaps one reason a few of those cheap imports are so inexpensive: Stolen technology???

As for this issue, one job I had back in 1963 was laying out the product circuit boards with tape and dots manually. We had a bunch of guys that were doing that. On retirement, we had one guy doing the board layout with computer software. And, the current microprocesser controlled products are 10,000 times more complex than what I did. We were using 16 copper layers on several of our current board designs.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 01-29-2014, 09:43 PM   #5
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

With electronic devices...

You can count on it being obsolete before you open the box.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:47 PM   #6
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
With electronic devices...

You can count on it being obsolete before you open the box.
Yup
Nice thing about the Spektrum transmitters, some of the high powered chargers such as the Cellpro Powerlab 8 design, and the Castle Creations ESC's, you can download the latest software yourself to your unit.

Don't know, how many other RC transmitter mfg's also have user ability to update the transmitters software

DennyV
Old 01-30-2014, 02:25 AM   #7
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Looks like Spektrum is doing a major product upgrade. An all new DX6 has been announced that has many features from the DX9 including voice alerts and 250 model memory, wireless trainer link, plus more advanced programming and cool new looks.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...mode-2-SPM6700

The DX18t is based on the 10t but with more channels and the now 'standard' features of voice and 250 model memory, etc.

The DX18 v2 gets voice alerts, 250 model memory and wireless trainer, plus a few minor updates. Visually it's little changed from the 'old' DX18: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ode-2-SPM18100

This leaves the old DX6i and DX8 looking a bit out on a limb in the Spektrum product range, and maybe some DX18QQ owners feeling a bit hard done by, but I guess that's progress! IMHO it was all inevitable when FrSky released the Teranis, which of course is a good thing.
It took me 7 years to convert over to Spektrum (while waiting for the prices to drop)......in that time there have been +4 new models introduced, +5 price reductions, and at least 3 DSM, DSM2 and DSMX changes........and I still only jumped on the DX6i since it's still all I need
to fly comfortably (at the moment).......

AMA 928214
Old 01-30-2014, 02:32 AM   #8
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 

Nice! I'll have my 6i and 8 for sale soon!
Old 01-30-2014, 03:03 AM   #9
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
It took me 7 years to convert over to Spektrum (while waiting for the prices to drop)......in that time there have been +4 new models introduced, +5 price reductions, and at least 3 DSM, DSM2 and DSMX changes........and I still only jumped on the DX6i since it's still all I need
to fly comfortably (at the moment).......
Yup
Some years back, I watched a couple of guys flying a $$$$ wet turbine model with the original DX6 transmitter. No problems what so ever, but don't know if I'd do it. On the other hand, a guy in this area lost a very expensive wet turbine when his top of the line radio transmitter shut it self off during a flight. I got it to do the same at my workbench. And, it was not Spektrum or JR.

DennyV
Old 02-01-2014, 04:00 PM   #10
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

View Stevephoon's Gallery67
Club: United Flying Organization
Friends: (7)
Default Is Spektrum also re-doing the DX8?

I've been thinking of buying a DX9.... Then all of the new radios are announced... Today on the Horizon Hobby Site I see that there is a page for a DX8 - SPMR8810. No details or info. (Maybe the page is up by mistake?) The existing DX8 is a SPMR8800.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ode-2-SPMR8810

I've been a Spektrum guy since getting into the hobby. I've used up all of my model space in my original DX7 and I'd like a buddy box. Must be time to upgrade!

Steve

Growing the fleet!
Old 02-01-2014, 05:09 PM   #11
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

The new releases shouldn't put you off buying a DX9. These new radios are only catching up with the features that the DX9 already has.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:19 AM   #12
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 

Well, I put my money where my mouth is, I just pre-ordered the Dx18 gen2 from HH! I don't even know when they're expecting them! Now I have to decide to sell either the 6i or the 8. I'll have to check if they both can do wireless buddy boxing. Still kinda can't believe I really did it. I even thought 'do I really need this, or can I get the Dx9?' But I'm starting to get planes with more and more channels, and i know some I like to get will need more channels, so it's all in for me!
Old 02-02-2014, 11:04 AM   #13
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Very nice! I've had the 'old' version (I have saying that ) of the DX18 for a while now and I'm delighted with it. I was kinda hoping that HH might make a hardware upgrade kit available to update the BX18 V1 to the V2, but that's a long shot.

Not to worry, 50 models is plenty for me, I have no use for wireless trainer and I can live without voice announcements. But still, it's nice to have the latest and greatest version.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:53 AM   #14
hillbille

View hillbille's Gallery29
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Yup
Some years back, I watched a couple of guys flying a $$$$ wet turbine model with the original DX6 transmitter. No problems what so ever, but don't know if I'd do it. On the other hand, a guy in this area lost a very expensive wet turbine when his top of the line radio transmitter shut it self off during a flight. I got it to do the same at my workbench. And, it was not Spektrum or JR.

Hmmm. I was at our dry lake bed when several "other" people were there shooting a "review" flight of an ESM SBD Dauntless. The pilot took the plane off and made two photo op passes for the photographer (big name guy with the initials JR - but I ain't sayin' who!! LOL!)

Third pass the wheels and flaps were dropped from about 150' up - and then - nothing. The plane went into s stall dive and never recovered. It was a total loss.

After recovering the "mess" the receiver was fine and ALL of the servos worked perfectly on the tailgate of a pickup. Then - nothing. Everything stopped working and everyone was stumped, until one of the guys noticed that the transmitter was completely off. The switch was "ON" but the LCD interface was blank and it was NOT transmitting a signal.

After a time and some handling it turned itself "on" and everything worked fine again. The radio was a pretty much top of the line "A". The reviewer was just devastated to lose such a fine model because of a radio failure, but was relieved at the same time that it was not something of his doing.

This WAS reported to the OEM, because it was a "review". The radio was returned to their service center in Illinois, and replaced with another unit exactly the same, BUT the original unit was NOT returned. The OEM stated that there was absolutely NOTHING WRONG with the radio, receiver or other equipment.

The "reviewer" used the system in another plane ans suffered a very similar occurence - and there after ONLY used the unit for photographs - then removed and replaced it for actual flying. I thought it was kind of funny at the time, but this just reminded me of that instance.

I di not want to start a radio "war" here. All the major manufacturers have had some problems with their systems and have been forced to correct them in some manner. To me it is all in HOW the OEM's handled the situations that have arisen more than the problems themselves.

I originally was a straight Futaba guy but when I could not get the "programming" down to a level I could manage it and found myself paying almost triple receiver prices, I switched to Spektrum.

For me, that was a very good decision. I've been on board through most all of the models so far, except I just bought a DX-8 last summer before the announcement of the DX-9 and I just can't bring myself to sell it - especially since the models cannot just be transferred but must each be hand installed. I've done that twice already and I'm just not ready to go again quite so soon! LOL!!

Hillbille

It isn't the mistake that causes the crash - it's the time it takes to realize that it WAS a mistake!!
AMA884978
Old 02-03-2014, 06:21 AM   #15
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by hillbille View Post
Hmmm. I was at our dry lake bed when several "other" people were there shooting a "review" flight of an ESM SBD Dauntless. The pilot took the plane off and made two photo op passes for the photographer (big name guy with the initials JR - but I ain't sayin' who!! LOL!)

Third pass the wheels and flaps were dropped from about 150' up - and then - nothing. The plane went into s stall dive and never recovered. It was a total loss.

After recovering the "mess" the receiver was fine and ALL of the servos worked perfectly on the tailgate of a pickup. Then - nothing. Everything stopped working and everyone was stumped, until one of the guys noticed that the transmitter was completely off. The switch was "ON" but the LCD interface was blank and it was NOT transmitting a signal.

After a time and some handling it turned itself "on" and everything worked fine again. The radio was a pretty much top of the line "A". The reviewer was just devastated to lose such a fine model because of a radio failure, but was relieved at the same time that it was not something of his doing.

This WAS reported to the OEM, because it was a "review". The radio was returned to their service center in Illinois, and replaced with another unit exactly the same, BUT the original unit was NOT returned. The OEM stated that there was absolutely NOTHING WRONG with the radio, receiver or other equipment.

The "reviewer" used the system in another plane ans suffered a very similar occurence - and there after ONLY used the unit for photographs - then removed and replaced it for actual flying. I thought it was kind of funny at the time, but this just reminded me of that instance.

I di not want to start a radio "war" here. All the major manufacturers have had some problems with their systems and have been forced to correct them in some manner. To me it is all in HOW the OEM's handled the situations that have arisen more than the problems themselves.

I originally was a straight Futaba guy but when I could not get the "programming" down to a level I could manage it and found myself paying almost triple receiver prices, I switched to Spektrum.

For me, that was a very good decision. I've been on board through most all of the models so far, except I just bought a DX-8 last summer before the announcement of the DX-9 and I just can't bring myself to sell it - especially since the models cannot just be transferred but must each be hand installed. I've done that twice already and I'm just not ready to go again quite so soon! LOL!!

Hillbille
Yeah
Methinks most radio mfg's have an occasional lemon. Spektrum has a history of repairing radios at no charge, even those that were purchased used. Then, they even pay for the return shipment. I don't know of anyone in my club that has lost a model due to a Spektrum radio failure. Of course, we've had our share of guys flying with inadequate receiver batteries, but IMHO that is not a Spektrum issue. Changing to LiFe or A123 receiver batteries pretty much eliminates that failure mode.

That says a lot about the mfg. Probably 95% of my club members flying on 2.4 Ghz radios are using Spektrum radio systems.

DennyV
Old 02-03-2014, 09:44 PM   #16
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

View Stevephoon's Gallery67
Club: United Flying Organization
Friends: (7)

Originally Posted by Stevephoon View Post
I've been thinking of buying a DX9.... Then all of the new radios are announced... Today on the Horizon Hobby Site I see that there is a page for a DX8 - SPMR8810. No details or info. (Maybe the page is up by mistake?) The existing DX8 is a SPMR8800.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ode-2-SPMR8810

I've been a Spektrum guy since getting into the hobby. I've used up all of my model space in my original DX7 and I'd like a buddy box. Must be time to upgrade!

Steve

Did some more asking on RCGroups and found out that the SPMR8810 DX8 is still the same TX, just without the RX and Telemetry.

So still a DX9 in my future at some point...

Steve

Growing the fleet!
Old 02-03-2014, 09:51 PM   #17
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

I'm a recent convert to the DX9 abandoning Futaba. Have not looked back since but there are a few quirky thing I've had to get used to. It looks like they are taking the software platform they developed for the DX9 and migrating it as a standard platform across the board. DX-18 & new DX6 for starters.

The entry level DX6 has most of the creature features that the 9 has except I don't believe the case is as solid. Recon the DX8 will be the next one in line to get the DX9 voice, wireless trainer, 250 model memory, etc.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:54 PM   #18
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
It looks like they are taking the software platform they developed for the DX9 and migrating it as a standard platform across the board. DX-18 & new DX6 for starters.
Somewhere in wattflyer is a comment from Spektrum that their transmitter computer programs have something like 200K lines of code. Probably why they like to use that same programming in different transmitters.

DennyV

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros