Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-31-2014, 01:55 PM   #1
arcountryboy

Friends: (0)
Default need a new plane....

Hello all, newbie to the forum. Looking for my next plane. been flying a HZ super cub for a while and I have gotten good at landing, take offs, even flying inverted(high winds) and landing like a heli in high winds. Looking for more of a challenge now. I am looking at the below two planes. Any comments on the brand, which one, etc? Also, any suggestions on a different 200 or less plane? Looking at being able to do more suchs as rolls, inverted, etc.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy8941-j3-yellow-rtf-24g.html

http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy8940-t28-grey-rtf-24g.html

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-31-2014, 04:51 PM   #2
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Pig Soooie !

Welcome to WF. I started off with the HZSC myself a few years back after returning to the hobby from a 30 year absence. I'm sure you'll hear this from others so I'll be the first. One of the most popular second planes for many has been the PZ- T-28 Trojan. About $175.00 PNP. Can't go wrong there.

There are variants like the Dynam ( also check Grayson Hobby) , FMS ( Motion RC-the best !) , and HK Durafly that look good too. I think the Durafly might even have cowl flaps. I would opt for something in the 1000mm-1400mm WS range.

Bang for the buck? IMO you get a lot of plane for the money with Dynam I've had three now. I have a Durafly Spitfire that's pretty nice and then a few of the larger FMS warbirds.

The PZ-T-28 was my second plane and I loved it. Low wing with some dihedral, ailerons, good power. Ended up becoming my test bed for experimentation. EG. Motor hop-ups, gyros, etc. All great until a tree popped up from nowhere. LOL

What type of field are you flying from? Grass? Paved? Retracts are nice but don't hold up very well on rough grass fields. What radio ? With flaps, retracts, ailerons, etc. you'll need a good 6 channel TX.

Good Luck !

-Hawk
Old 01-31-2014, 05:22 PM   #3
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

The T-28 is a more appropriate step up from the way you describe your flying. The Dynam Cub will fly too much like your Super Cub.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:12 PM   #4
arcountryboy

Looking at the RTF versions right now. I plan on upgrading to a much better radio here soon that will handle most of my models as I get them. I regret letting my good radio go with my race trucks.

As far as area, I have 85 acres cleared of my own, low cut grass, smooth packed dirt, and an area I can go that has a paved drive. Around the 85 acres is about 250 of farms.

I am also looking at the dynam cessna or the FMS cessna. I like bigger and real looking planes.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:34 PM   #5
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Sounds like a great site.

The FMS C-182 is not a bad second plane idea. It's a bit more plane than what you have now and it has a 55" WS. I have one and have modded her with bigger 3" wheels. Kind of a Sunday drive in Grandpa's Oldsmobile type of flyer versus a T-28 which is more the sports car. Might get bored. Airfield and FMS were together at one point. Nitro was selling the Airfield C 182 Kit version for $75.00 (G-KEMY). Just add servos, motor and esc.

The Dynam Cessna 310 is a lot of fun. It's got retracts and of course, she's a twin. I modded mine with oleo struts for our grass field. An easy flyer really. I also have the Dynam FW-190 and Spitty , both good flying, fairly high performing planes for the money.

Spektrum just announced the DX6 which has much , if not all of the capability of my DX9. Voice alerts, 250 model memory, etc. For about $225.00 . Probably a game changer in the 6 channel world.
The problem with the RTF radios, at least for the most part, is that you can't program any expo or dual rates which I found to be invaluable.

Cheers,

Hawk
Old 01-31-2014, 06:53 PM   #6
arcountryboy

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Sounds like a great site.

The FMS C-182 is not a bad second plane idea. It's a bit more plane than what you have now and it has a 55" WS. I have one and have modded her with bigger 3" wheels. Kind of a Sunday drive in Grandpa's Oldsmobile type of flyer versus a T-28 which is more the sports car. Might get bored. Airfield and FMS were together at one point. Nitro was selling the Airfield C 182 Kit version for $75.00 (G-KEMY). Just add servos, motor and esc.

The Dynam Cessna 310 is a lot of fun. It's got retracts and of course, she's a twin. I modded mine with oleo struts for our grass field. An easy flyer really. I also have the Dynam FW-190 and Spitty , both good flying, fairly high performing planes for the money.

Spektrum just announced the DX6 which has much , if not all of the capability of my DX9. Voice alerts, 250 model memory, etc. For about $225.00 . Probably a game changer in the 6 channel world.
The problem with the RTF radios, at least for the most part, is that you can't program any expo or dual rates which I found to be invaluable.

Cheers,

Hawk

This one, I was looking at it, but was not sure just how much it could do other than fly around. I'm not looking at 3D stuff, but some good rolls and stuff would be a change!
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy893...-eretract.html
Old 01-31-2014, 07:09 PM   #7
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

Ar,

She'll fly inverted and do loops and rolls but is generally designed for scale like flying. There's a large thread with lots of vids over on RCG. Some have stiffened the wing to be able to handle more loading. Just like the full scale 310, there's only so much G-loading it can take.

Anything is possible. Bob Hoover used to go to airshows with his Rockwell Shrike Aero Commander and make that plane dance.

If you want more aerobatic action, I'd personally opt for one of the Warbirds. And at that, I'm talking scale like warbird action like stall turns, axial rolls, barrel rolls, inverted flight, Cubans, half-cubans, outside loops, knife edging, etc. Try doing violent snaps or tumbles and you're asking for airframe failure.

For a little more, you can go big with the FMS 1450mm series. Motion RC has free shipping. I bought the P-51D for $219 w/ extra prop, shipped during the BF sale. Just look for the sales.

-Hawk
Old 01-31-2014, 07:17 PM   #8
fhhuber
Super Contributor

A twin presents the risk of "single-engine-out" even with modern electric power models.

You can't guarantee the LVCs will cut at the same time. There's always the chance of the prop coming off and there are other potential failures which can leave you with just one operating motor.

Single-engine-out can cause even pilots that have trained to deal with it in big trouble.

So avoid the twin for now.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:49 PM   #9
arcountryboy

Any pros or cons to this baby? My 4 year old son is in love with "Skipper" from the movie planes, seems fitting to get one he will like more than my cub. Looks like a nice plane for the $$$

http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy8953-f4u-rtf-24g.html
Old 01-31-2014, 08:27 PM   #10
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

I'm sure it's fine. But what I'd do is go for the Spitfire ARF instead. Yes, it has an elliptical wing but this plane is very stable. Trust me. Need to do a forward rake job on the mains. Probably need to do that to the F4U Corsair as well. This is to minimize nose overs.

Take the money you save on the Spitfire ARF versus F4U RTF and put it towards a new DX6. You need a good solid infrastructure/foundation to build from. This will not be your last plane, will it? So, the long term investments like a decent radio and lipo charger like an I-charger 206B can be considered one-time buys. These RTF radios are just throwaways IMO. Oh, you'll be up and running quickly, but will want to kick yourself in a few months. Pay me now or pay me later type of thing.

If you buy another RTF from another mfg. you'll just have another radio and rx that can only be used together. I made the same mistake in the beginning. I'll give you an Airfield TX/RX that has been collecting dust for 3 years.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:35 PM   #11
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Corsairs have a bit of an issue with stall/spin recovery unless the CG is well forward vs best performance in all other areas. Almost all models use the forward CG.

Other than that they are really nice flying airplanes.

The Dynam 1200-1500 mm warbird series are all good buys.

Yes, many taildraggers will have better ground handling if you "rake" the gear forward a bit. For some this is easy, for others its not.
The Corsair's scale retracts will rotate and go back. Shimming the retract to give the rake angle will make the wheels not go all the way into the wing. Bending the struts will move the retracts to a side when they are up and that can cause them to bind in the wheel wells. So I wouldn't make any change to the Corsair's retracts.

I sometimes buy the RTF versions because of the battery and availability. Taking the LiPo and charger into account, the Dynam RFT package's TX and RX cost you about $10 to $15. I give these (decent) radios away to people that get the Harbor Freight Cub since that comes with a junk 27mhz radio with about 50 ft range.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:13 AM   #12
arcountryboy

Thanks for the tips and advice. I'm going with an rtf for now, newborn and a 4 year old means a budget! Whenever I get my taxes ill get a better radio. In the meantime ill be ordering the p51d Monday. What's a good battery upgrade for.it?
Old 02-01-2014, 12:59 AM   #13
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Dynam 1200 mm P-51? That one works really well with 3300 mah 4S, but you have to carve the foam a bit for it to fit.

You can shim the retracts to rake them forward a little to help ground handling if desired. Its not needed once you learn to deal with keeping the tail down on landing.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:09 AM   #14
arcountryboy

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
Dynam 1200 mm P-51? That one works really well with 3300 mah 4S, but you have to carve the foam a bit for it to fit.

You can shim the retracts to rake them forward a little to help ground handling if desired. Its not needed once you learn to deal with keeping the tail down on landing.
That's the one unless someone has something bad about it. Thanks for the battery tip. I don't mind doing some carving.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:20 AM   #15
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

I have the 1450mm Big Beautiful Doll FMS V7.5 P-51D. 4S 3700mah 40C

Check out China Hobby Line ( CHL) US warehouse, best prices, excellent quality and service.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72670
Old 02-01-2014, 01:29 AM   #16
arcountryboy

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
I have the 1450mm Big Beautiful Doll FMS V7.5 P-51D. 4S 3700mah 40C

Check out China Hobby Line ( CHL) US warehouse, best prices, excellent quality and service.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72670
Thanks for the battery tip, got a link to that plane? I don't recall seeing it.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:24 AM   #17
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6

http://www.motionrc.com/fms-p-51d-mu...-wingspan-pnp/

This one is the V8 with 6 second sequencer doors. Of the 25 plus Arf's I've put together, none were easier than this one. FMS and Freewing are two mfg's on the move.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions