Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-31-2014, 09:39 PM   #1
jobu

Friends: (0)
Default Multiplex Dogfighter

I was looking at getting a Dogfighter and was wondering if anyone had good input about the plane and what a faster setup for 3s would be?
Thanks,
Joe

ps. not sure what category it falls under so I put it in gen discussion
Old 02-01-2014, 12:41 PM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

Tower hobbies sells a nice Hi Performance power system for the Dogfighter. If you used a 9x8 or 9x9 apc prop, rather than the 10x7 Prop with this power system, i think it will be plenty fast, check your amp draw with a Wattmeter

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBCKH&P=V

This is the Power Pack for the Dogfighter Airplane from Multiplex. FEATURES: All power components needed to fly the Multiplex DogFighter
INCLUDES: Himax HC3516-1350 Outrunner Brushless Motor Castle Creations 54 Brushless ESC APC 10x7E Composite Propeller Prop Adapter with 0.79" (20mm) Aluminum Spinner Nut Motor Mount, Standoffs and all Mounting Hardware
REQUIRES: Three 4mm Female Bullet Connectors (GPMM3119) to connect ESC to motor
SPECS: ESC; Max amps: 54A Max volts: 15V, 3S LiPo, 10 NiCd/NiMH BEC: Linear regulator, 3A max Length: 2" (51mm) Width: 1.15" (29mm) Height: .04" (10mm) Weight: 1.2oz (34g) Brake: On/Off Motor; Max Power: 350W depending on several factors Max RPM: 20,000 RPM Diameter: 1.39" (35.2mm) Length: 1.66" (42.2mm) Shaft Diameter: .1969" (5.0mm) Mount Screw Thread: M3, max depth 5mm on 25mm (1.0) circle Maximum Case Temperature: 149F (65C)

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 02-01-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

1350 kv motor x 11.1 v = 14985 rpm + 8 pitch prop = 114.5 mph prop pitch speed - drag + voltage drop off.

with a 9 pitch prop = 127 prop pitch speed - drag and voltage drop off.

http://www.pgam.ca/airspeed.htm

The form below will calculate the speed at which a propeller will move through the air at a given RPM and Pitch. This will give an approximate top speed and can help you decide which prop to use for a plane. For example if your airspeed calculates to 150 MPH and your plane is a Lazy Bee, then you've got the wrong prop on your plane because there is now way that plane will do 150 MPH. (Slight exaggeration, but you get the idea.)

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 02-01-2014, 03:25 PM   #4
Flubber

View Flubber's Gallery8
Club: DE R/C, SKSS

Hi Joe
My dogfighter uses the motor that Jeff at Heads up RC recommends and lists with the plane.
You can use different props to modify the speed and amp draw. I started with an 8 x 4 and hand launching was so easy.
Tried an 8 x 6 and it was awesome but pulled alot of amps. Now I am flying a 7 x 6 and it really moves. The smaller props are good for belly landing.
This really is a great flying plane from hand launch to ballistic and back to slow for landing. One of my favorites. It loves to do really big loops.

Terry

Flying is like ... ah well ... I can not think of anything it is like...
Old 02-01-2014, 03:58 PM   #5
jobu

Thanks to both of you. I've put it down for a while but thinking of getting back into it. I was flying fast Strykers but looking for a simple fast plane that flies and looks better than a wing.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions