Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-06-2014, 01:48 AM   #1
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Friends: (4)
Default Aileron servo not working

I just hooked up all the electronics in my P51, including the Frsky receiver with my new 9xr. For some reason, the servo stops working randomly. The ESC is some 20a Hobbyking one, although I will be installing a better one, I'm just using it to test everything out. I don't know what is wrong, whether it isn't bound well, the esc, the servo or the receiver. I unplug the battery to the plane and plug it back in and I can see the servo moving, then it is dead when trying to control it. I will suddenly start working, then randomly die yet again.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:10 AM   #2
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Details will help. There are a lot of P-51s out there! What size is it, how many servos, dual or single aileron servos, what battery, etc.

Also, I doubt there is such a thing as a 'bad bind'. Either the tx and rx are bound or not.

Check the servo connection very carefully. Is it plugged in fully? Maybe a pin in the connector came loose and isn't fly engaged.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:17 AM   #3
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Details will help. There are a lot of P-51s out there! What size is it, how many servos, dual or single aileron servos, what battery, etc.

Also, I doubt there is such a thing as a 'bad bind'. Either the tx and rx are bound or not.

Check the servo connection very carefully. Is it plugged in fully? Maybe a pin in the connector came loose and isn't fly engaged.
It's the Mountain Models P51 I just built. Perhaps it's the y-connector. I'll have to see if a different connector works better.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:31 AM   #4
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 

I would say that 75% of the time I've had that kind of problem, it's been the servo itself that was bad. Can you swap leads with the other aileron servo and see what happens then? Or plug a known good servo in place of your suspect one?

Old 02-06-2014, 05:42 AM   #5
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
I would say that 75% of the time I've had that kind of problem, it's been the servo itself that was bad. Can you swap leads with the other aileron servo and see what happens then? Or plug a known good servo in place of your suspect one?
Well I already had that issue. The one servo wasn't working at all, and I ripped it out and put a new one in. It worked, then had the issue of not working, it may be one side of the y connector not working properly. It is a fairly new servo, came off of one of my first planes, and the servos never failed on it. The servo sounds fine, just it suddenly doesn't work after I move the plane around a bit. As the wire coming out of the servo is held tight in the mounting area, it wouldn't be moving.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:04 AM   #6
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 

Maybe a bad y-harness? Jiggle it while troubleshooting.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:31 AM   #7
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Diagnosing things like this simply needs a logical systemetic trouble shooting approach.

In this case if I understand it right: One aileron servo is working ok, the other is not, and they are on a Y-lead.

So it's quite obviously not a receiver or transmitter problem, otherwise neither servo would move.

First check that the control surfaces and pushrods (when disconnected from the servos) move freely with no binding or stickiness and minimum resistance.

If the surfaces move ok then next reverse the Y lead so that the leg of the lead that's been connected to the 'bad' servo is now connected to the 'good' servo, and vice versa. Check to see if problem now transfered to the other servo.

If the problem transfers then it must be a bad Y-lead. If it stays with the same servo then it's a bad servo.... simple
Old 02-06-2014, 08:34 AM   #8
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

JPF is right, it's a bit if systematic diagnosis by testing each part in turn.

First us to swap over servos and see if same servo acts up or same y lead extension.

One item that proves excellent in this - a servo tester. For less than a decent servo price, you have a tester that identifies all faulty servos and connections. Safes all the hassle of RX access etc.

Being a Y lead job - it is not RX..... it has to be in the Y lead or servo itself.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems