Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Humor
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Humor Have some funny jokes or stories? All is fair game except political, religious or too explicit.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014, 07:12 PM   #1
kyleservicetech
Dennis V
 
kyleservicetech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 7,933
Thanked 683 Times in 666 Posts
Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
iTrader: (1)
Friends: (20)
Default Origin of word used after a crash

Manure. In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to be transported by ship and it was also before the invention of commercial fertilizers, so large shipments of manure were quite common.

It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, not only did it become heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a byproduct is methane gas of course. As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can picture what could (and did) happen. Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, KA-BOOOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening

After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the
instruction:

Stow high in transit ' on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.

Thus evolved the term ' S.!.!.T ', (Stow High In Transit) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.

You probably did not know the true history of this word and neither did I. I had always thought it was a term used after your model airplane crashed.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
kyleservicetech is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:01 AM   #2
Turner
Super Contributor
 
Turner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 1,346
Thanked 130 Times in 128 Posts
iTrader: (1)
Friends: (3)
Default

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
...I had always thought it was a term used after your model airplane crashed.
I spell that one differently.
Turner is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:34 AM   #3
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance
 
pizzano's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 1,097
Thanked 69 Times in 67 Posts
Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (3)
Default

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Manure. In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to be transported by ship and it was also before the invention of commercial fertilizers, so large shipments of manure were quite common.

It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, not only did it become heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a byproduct is methane gas of course. As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can picture what could (and did) happen. Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, KA-BOOOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening

After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the
instruction:

Stow high in transit ' on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.

Thus evolved the term ' S.!.!.T ', (Stow High In Transit) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.

You probably did not know the true history of this word and neither did I. I had always thought it was a term used after your model airplane crashed.
Another case of urban legend......Please.

AMA 928214
pizzano is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:41 AM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor
 
solentlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ex UK Brit now in Latvia west coast - Ventspils
Posts: 5,905
View solentlife's Gallery47
Thanked 231 Times in 228 Posts
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (15)
Default

It is a legend and actually most if these words came from Saxon or Viking origin.

Dog faeces was in fact a serious cargo.... it was required by leather tanning factories and cosmetics!

One of the worst methane sources on ship.... is fruit that is loaded late in harvest... it ripens on board and rots.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
solentlife is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:50 AM   #5
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger
 
Fishbonez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,223
Thanked 105 Times in 104 Posts
Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (17)
Default

hmm and I thought it stood for Super High Intensity Training

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Fishbonez is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:05 AM   #6
kyleservicetech
Dennis V
 
kyleservicetech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 7,933
Thanked 683 Times in 666 Posts
Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
iTrader: (1)
Friends: (20)
Default

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
hmm and I thought it stood for Super High Intensity Training
LOL
I bet those four letters could be used in a thousand different analytic history studies!

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
kyleservicetech is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:06 AM   #7
kyleservicetech
Dennis V
 
kyleservicetech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 7,933
Thanked 683 Times in 666 Posts
Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
iTrader: (1)
Friends: (20)
Default

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
Another case of urban legend......Please.

Yup, it was posted in the wattflyer humor section

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
kyleservicetech is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:35 PM   #8
gramps2361
Community Moderator
 
gramps2361's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: oxford, MA
Posts: 6,610
View gramps2361's Gallery9
Thanked 598 Times in 593 Posts
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
iTrader: (3)
Friends: (21)
Default

But it is on the internet it has to be true!
gramps2361 is online now  
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:25 PM   #9
dahawk
Super Contributor
 
dahawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 3,346
View dahawk's Gallery6
Thanked 203 Times in 199 Posts
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (19)
Default

But do you know Jack and his family history?

This is true and no meant to be obscene in any way

http://youtu.be/XuRwis3_iVk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
dahawk is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:13 PM   #10
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger
 
Fishbonez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,223
Thanked 105 Times in 104 Posts
Club: Cheyenne Hill Hoppers
Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (17)
Default

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
LOL
I bet those four letters could be used in a thousand different analytic history studies!
I used to use it all the time
Soldier/Airman: This works Sucks
Sargent Fisher: Yes it does but its good S.H.I.T and I love giving you all plenty of S.H.I.T to do


Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Fishbonez is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:23 AM   #11
hkeelljr
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 157
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Friends: (1)
Default

Those four letters also come in handy say when you might nick yourself with a new blade, even if its after you see blood on the part you just cut out.
hkeelljr is offline  
  Reply With Quote
Reply

  WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Humor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prop/motor wobbles and vibrates at high trottle after crash Love2fly Foamies 24 07-16-2013 08:52 PM
Flashing light on receiver.... CRASH! ianfox ParkFlyers 36 10-23-2012 11:40 PM
help..DA 50 crash on lifepo min volt??? puzzlegb Batteries & Chargers 2 08-01-2012 03:22 AM
Phenomenal 2 letter word!! Larry3215 Humor 2 06-26-2011 03:54 AM
Beginners, You Will Crash CHELLIE Beginners 27 02-01-2011 04:53 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:15 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 WattfFlyer.com
RCU Eflight HQ

Charities we support Select: Yorkie Rescue  ::  Crohn's & Colitis Foundation



Page generated in 0.19759 seconds with 41 queries