Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-14-2014, 10:13 PM   #1
TalleyHo

Friends: (0)
Default Next plane

I'm looking for a good follow up plane for my son. This will double as my first plane in 15 years (coming from nitro).

From what I've read, the T-28 seems to be a good, fun, next step up from his HobbyZone cub. And I think it would keep me entertained until he is ready for it. He's looking to do basic aerobatics and such - not into 3-D yet.

As far as my second plane, I'm thinking the follow up for the T-28 (assuming he goes that route) will be a 3-D plane. The VisionAire has peeked my interest. I think it would be challenging to learn 3d as well as offer good aerobatic flight. However, the new Artizan coming out in March also seems pretty good. I'm intrigued by the As3x system -- perhaps it will offer me a few more days of flying here in DFW. Since my lakes are empty and skiing is likely out this summer, I'm hoping to spend that time at the flying field.

I'd like to stay in the .40 sized nitro size (electric tho). It seems the 11.1V range is a good price point for most gear. I don't have the bucks to invest in the 4S/5S battery ranges. I've thought about the Ultra Stick 25 just for nostalgic reasons.

Anyone have a plane they just absolutely loved? I'm sure there are lots of opinions out there. Fortunately, I don't think I can't really go wrong w/ the above choices.

Back in the nitro days, I enjoyed a modified Ultra Stick (or Big Stick, flipped to a low wing) .46 that hauled balls. That was a fun plane until I came across the runway at full throttle and went to go vertical. Except that I forgot I was inverted. Everything in front of the LE was toast. Dad was not happy.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:32 PM   #2
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

The Visionaire is brilliant. Totally brilliant.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:58 AM   #3
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)

The T-28 from Horizon is a winner. Parts availability, and world class customer service. It can be very acrobatic if you want, several of the pattern fliers use it as warm up at the field I fly from. And it's got a huge following, so mods abound.
Want to go faster, it's easy and cheap. Flaps? nothing to adding them. Retracts, no problem. If it's been done, or broke someone here has experience with it and can lend a hand.

Here's mine.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0225011523.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	173622 mod to the max, go fast 6S powered

Name:	0225011523b.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	173623 full flaps

Name:	0225011523a.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	173624 electric retracts

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:37 AM   #4
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

The Parkzone T-28 is pretty much the standard 2nd or 3rd plane / first aileron plane. You can't go far wrong with it.

I always like to recommend building a "light" Stryker, a plane that has a lot of potential but isn't especially challenging to learn or fly. You can put one together for around $100.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:16 AM   #5
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

Here's another favorite, especially here and at "the other" forum:

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/search/g...FYqDfgodqTQAuQ

It has lot's of options, fun to build, and a very good park flyer for all levels of skill.

AMA 928214
Old 02-18-2014, 01:32 PM   #6
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Talley,

Is this your annual post ? 8 posts in 8 years. LOL

+1 on T-28 from experience. +1 on Visionairre from watching a bunch of them at our field including watching Mike fly his. Two different type of flying though the Visionairre would offer a little more diversity if that's what you're looking for.

If you want to go cheap, check out Flight Test. http://flitetest.com/articles/ft-viggen-build They have a pre cut Dollar tree foam board EDF kit for $39.00 called the Viggen.

Add a Grayson or Hobbypartz 70mm EDF combo package for another $40.00, your own rx and you're good to go.

Why? You get the shared experience of building something together and then watching it come to life and fly. It's an easy edf. Will fly slow with high AOA or as fast as you want.

Just another option to consider .

See you next year ! LOL

Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 02-18-2014, 05:00 PM   #7
TalleyHo

Friends: (0)

@dahawk
Ironic eh? I didn't really get back into it until my dad got my son a plane for Christmas. He's had a ton of fun with it, and I really miss it as well. It's amazing how far electric has come. It's certainly been an enabler for sure. And not messing w/ the mess of fuel is fantastic.

I'm experimenting with a wtf build using a foam board. I was going for just a flying wing, but its turned into a stealth of sorts. I'll have to post a pic later. It at least /looks/ kind of cool. We'll see how far it 'falls with style'.

I like the idea of the light Stryker as well. I've determined I'm not that creative at building from scratch. Much like Emmet in the Lego movie, I need the instructions!
Old 02-19-2014, 10:18 PM   #8
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

The GWS Tiger Moth 400 pizzano recommends is a great plane, and was one of my first as well. At the time, the simple build was nearly over my head but, thankfully, there were people on the forums to help me.

A light Stryker build is super-easy. You've got to cut out some fins and some elevons but that's it. They're very crash-resistant, as well, cuz they weigh nothing. If you decide to go that route, I'm sure you'll find help from those of us who've built them.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions