First off, let me introduce myself and give full disclosure that I am very new to the hobby! I am very excited to get into RC flying and looking forward to the insights you all may offer to assist me in becoming a better pilot. I have flown a hand full of times before, but it's been about 10 years so I still consider myself to be starting from square 1.
Forgive me if I am not posting in the right place but I figured I would just throw this out there and start from scratch. I just bought an E-Flite Apprentice S 15e. After a lot of research I figured this would be the best plane for me to learn on and develop my flying skills. Assembly went well and everything seems to be ready for flight. I plan on making the maiden flight on Monday. HOWEVER, I blew the fuse on the battery charger on my first charging attempt. I understand how dangerous li-po charging can be and I'd like to nail this down now to eliminate any potential problems in the future.
I have the stock e-flite charger and battery that came with the plane. I'm fairly certain I followed the directions accurately (except for one stupid mistake which I'll explain). I attached the charger to my car battery (car off) and the green light came on and the charger beeped like the directions indicated it would. Here's when things went wrong, as soon I touched the battery lead to the charging port, POP! A big spark came out near the fuse and made a loud snap. Then I realized that I had done something really dumb, I had the battery lead upside down when I attempted to plug it in. (I know, rookie move). Any way, I righted the orientation of the lead and still plugged it in because I didnt know at the time that the fuse had blown. Once I pushed the start button the green and red lights were flashing and the charger was beeping so I could tell something wasn't right so I disconnected everything. That's when I pulled the fuse out and could tell it had blown.
So, did I just make a stupid mistake attempting to plug the battery lead in upside down or is there more to it than that? I'm hoping it was just a simple mistake so I can just replace the fuse and be more careful next time. However, I'm worried that maybe that didn't have anything to do with it and I have bigger issues with the equipment I'm using (i.e. car battery, charger etc.).
Any information or suggestions you might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!