Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-19-2014, 01:17 AM   #1
The steve

Friends: (0)
Default Raido choices

Just looking to pick up my first "good radio" and since im currently looking at second hand and my budjet is limited ive so far narrowed it down to two

The Turnigy9xr and a futaba 6ex (2.4ghz)

and i really cant decide which to go for, the futaba is a good brand of course but the turnigy has more channels and model memory~however i hear there are some problems with some 9xrs

please help?
Old 02-19-2014, 04:34 AM   #2
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

The,

I had (2) Futaba 6EX's. They are solid but nothing to grow into and featurewise, nothing to write home to Mom about. Limited model memory. No built-in timer, and the fasst rx's, even the compatibles are expensive. Should be able to find a used one for between $50-$100.

I'd get the 9XR between those two choices. Open source. Big users community. But from what I hear, a lot of fuss and I also hear , hit or miss on quality. Some guys swear by it. It sure has all the bells and whistles. Pretty cheap, no question about that. It's a modder's dream. Lots of mods out there.

That said, take a hard look at the new Spektrum DX6. I left Futaba for the DX9 and have not looked back. The new DX6 which just came out has all the functionality of the DX9 except it has 6 channels versus 9 and the case is not quite as nice. It talks to you with voice alerts. 250 plane model memory, wireless trainer function, all the mixes, etc. About $225.00

Look at this way. If you plan to stay in the hobby, the TX is a long term investment, not something you buy regularly. Get something decent. You won't regret spending a few bucks more. Best factory support bar none.

Good luck !

Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 02-19-2014, 05:13 AM   #3
The steve

I do look at them, I look,I drool, then I look at my SO and they say $250..and I stop looking XD

So that's why I was looking at preowned stuffs, found the two im looking at online and am tossing up, just a little concerned on the 9xrs quality as you pointed out~
Old 02-19-2014, 05:49 AM   #4
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by The steve View Post
I do look at them, I look,I drool, then I look at my SO and they say $250..and I stop looking XD

So that's why I was looking at preowned stuffs, found the two im looking at online and am tossing up, just a little concerned on the 9xrs quality as you pointed out~
Spektrum has several lower cost radios. First one is their DX6 series at $225 including one receiver. A few years back, at a local fun fly, I saw a couple of guys with the Spektrum DX6 radio system flying a multi-thousand dollar wet turbine model. Don't know if I'd do it with that radio, but they had zero problems with their flights.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdId=SPM6700

And the DX6i without receiver at $180.
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdId=SPM6610

And the entry level Spektrum DX5 series with one receiver for $89.00. This radio only has one model airplane memory. But, you can buy extra Spektrum brand 4 channel receivers for under $30 each. And much much lower cost for the off brand Orange and Lemon compatible receivers.
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...rodID=SPMAR400

The DX5 radio is very basic, but it will definitely get you into a brand new radio system that works.
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdId=SPM5510

As for buying used radio equipment, I'd not do it personally unless you really know the history of the radio you are buying. Hate to see you buy a used radio someone on Ebay is getting rid of because of problems with it.

The Spektrum brand of radios is right now the most popular radio system on the market, having perhaps over 50% of all RC radios sold. If you travel to large RC fly-in's, the percentage of Spektrum radios being used is even higher than 50%.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 02-19-2014, 06:07 AM   #5
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

If you're interested in Spektrum,(Not trying to push you that way, just if you are...) you'll be seeing lots of used Dx6i's, and 8's real soon as those new models come out. You can already get a used 6i for around $100, don't know what the 8's will be going for. My 6i will be on the chopping block when my Dx18v2 shows up. As for getting them used, if you don't mind the hassle, I've heard stories of people just plain dropping their tx's, sending them in for a repair telling them they dropped them, and getting them fixed for free. How can you beat that? I don't think I've ever heard of anyone getting the runaround from them.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:22 AM   #6
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
As for getting them used, if you don't mind the hassle, I've heard stories of people just plain dropping their tx's, sending them in for a repair telling them they dropped them, and getting them fixed for free. How can you beat that? I don't think I've ever heard of anyone getting the runaround from them.
Don't know why I'd intentionally drop a radio, then send it in to be fixed. Especially when several years ago, I shipped my DX7 transmitter and a half dozen receivers to Horizon Hobby to be checked over. Fully expected to pay for the service.

Spektrum checked out everything, and returned it N/C, even paying for return shipment. They indicated that for good customer relations, N/C.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65573

A number of club members have had the same treatment from Horizon. One club member had problems with his DX7 transmitter loosing binding with the receiver. Never lost an airplane, the transmitter lost binding on powering up. He shipped it in, Horizon couldn't verify it. So Horizon returned a brand new in box DX7 transmitter. Again, no charge.

So, guess which brand radio I'll be using from now on The same goes for just about every one of my club members. Word gets around.

DennyV
Old 02-19-2014, 07:39 AM   #7
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Not dropped on purpose! But you know how people can be. 'I dunno. The gimbal and antennae just broke outta nowhere!'
Old 02-19-2014, 12:44 PM   #8
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

As everyone knows from my previous ramblings on this subject ... I am a dedicated JR man ...

Had a problem with my 35Mhz JR Propo when I returned to hobby ... looked for radio as stop-gap while it was sorted.

I took a 9x on and was totally gob-smacked amazed ........ swapped out module to FrSky and it did everything asked ... all for basically $80 all in.

Later bought a second 9x Turnigy barebones for $50 and fitted FrSky to that as well. Again - amazing ...

Recently decided to have a look at the 9xr ... paid and waited. It arrived but failed on me first day. NOT in flight - but on bench..... Contacted HK and thet replaced without hassle. I now have the 9xr programmed up for 1/2 my large hangar ...

Conclusion ? Both the 9x and 9xr are worth every single cent ... far more capability than any competing radio of 6 .. 7 ... 8 ch's .... cheap as chips .... mods galore on internet ... large community there to help ...

It may not have the Service Record of Spektrum - but in my view a radio that needs service is a radio that I don't want to use ... I want it to work. If it fails in any way ... I don't trust it anymore and want replacement. At $50 a throw for 9x or 9xr ... I can do that.

The sales of them are evidence enough that I'm not the only one ...

You can buy 2 x 9xr's fully kitted out with FrSky for less than a 2nd-hand 6i Spekie set-up... and you get 8ch's ... 16 model memory each ... total programmability.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 02-19-2014, 01:34 PM   #9
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

There you have it. I was hoping Nigel would chime in here. He's our resident expert on the 9x and passionate about. I think your question has been answered . For your budget, the 9xr would appear to be the clear winner. Of course, Nigel would say it wins at any budget- LOL I'm sure he would be happy to answer any questions you have about that model.

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 02-19-2014, 05:27 PM   #10
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (3)

For not much more than a fully outfitted 9XR with a Frsky module you can get a Frysky Taranis transmitter that will come with a receiver and battery and charger. You get more channels and voice alerts.

The 9XR-pro is due any time now and that may be another good option. It will have features similar to the Taranis.

All these systems use open source firmware and are very powerful. You'll rely other users for support however.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:27 PM   #11
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post

It may not have the Service Record of Spektrum - but in my view a radio that needs service is a radio that I don't want to use ... I want it to work. If it fails in any way ... I don't trust it anymore and want replacement.l
For what it's worth, we've got perhaps 60 or 70 Spektrum radio systems in our club. The transmitter that acted up by not binding was some three years ago. I'm not aware of any other Spektrum radio in our club that had to be returned to Horizon Hobby for repair because of problems with the transmitters or receivers.

The radios now available are a vast improvement from what we had years ago. Even the bottom of the line el-cheapos from you know where are orders of magnitude better than what we had back then. As an example, I had a MicroAvionics radio back in the 1960's that averaged about 30 flights between failures of something or other. Those failures were the result of the parts inside the servos and receiver shaking apart from vibration. Still got a few of those MicroAvionics servos. Now we have surface mount components in our equipment where vibration has little or no effect.

Take a look at the attached photo of one of those servos. Virtually all of the parts in this photo are now contained inside one microchip on current design servos. Also, note the non-standard servo connector. These old servos used a split four cell battery pack.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MicroAvionics Servo - WF.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	173681 1960's Era Microavionics Servo

DennyV
Old 02-21-2014, 01:34 AM   #12
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

It may not have the Service Record of Spektrum - but in my view a radio that needs service is a radio that I don't want to use ... I want it to work. If it fails in any way ... I don't trust it anymore and want replacement. At $50 a throw for 9x or 9xr ... I can do that.
Just thought of a club member that had his name brand Transmitter just shut down on him while flying his wet turbine jet. That transmitter was not cheap, it was some $1000.00

Sent it into the mfg, they found nothing wrong with it and returned it, of course charging for labor.

I took a look at it, just sat it on my workbench, and turned it on. Sure enough, after some 10 minutes, the transmitter just shut off.

The owner of this $$$$ transmitter got rid of it, with a BIG warning to get it fixed by someone other than the original mfg before using it. That Jet guy is now flying with a top of the line Spektrum system.

DennyV
Old 02-21-2014, 01:45 AM   #13
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Yes Nigel, you make it sound like Spektrums are always failing, but that's not the case. At least as far as I know. The only tx failure I've seen at the field was also in a $$$$ turbine. Totalled it. Not even a servo was saved. Quite the crater. It was not Spektrum. Tx just went blank in flight. I later heard one cell in his new tx lipo battery failed. So all kinds of things can happen. It's how they're handled that I think's important.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:50 AM   #14
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Yes Nigel, you make it sound like Spektrums are always failing, but that's not the case. At least as far as I know. The only tx failure I've seen at the field was also in a $$$$ turbine. Totalled it. Not even a servo was saved. Quite the crater. It was not Spektrum. Tx just went blank in flight. I later heard one cell in his new tx lipo battery failed. So all kinds of things can happen. It's how they're handled that I think's important.
Yeah, that club member with the $1000 transmitter later found out that the transmitters battery monitoring circuit was erratic. When it found that the defective battery monitor showed that the battery was low, it simply shut off the transmitter. No warning what so ever.

I did check that battery, even ran several cycle tests on it. No problems were found with it.

DennyV
Old 02-21-2014, 01:54 AM   #15
The steve

Well i went with the 9xr as the guy had a plane i couldnt go past (corsair are my fav XD) so thats that~
Old 02-21-2014, 03:17 AM   #16
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Friends: (4)

I recently stepped up to a 9xr from a 9x. I was thinking of Spektrum but I couldn't warrant the price really, even for a six channel, which others told me I would likely grow out of rather quickly. One thing I hear Spektrum and other manufacturers have is easier to understand interfaces, but that isn't worth an extra 200-300 bucks (more than any of my planes are and likely ever will be.) Frsky, from what I hear, is also as good or better than Spektrum DSMX, so it isn't like you are getting poor range. Even the stock 9x and its compatible receivers never had issues.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:15 AM   #17
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by pmullen503 View Post
For not much more than a fully outfitted 9XR with a Frsky module you can get a Frysky Taranis transmitter that will come with a receiver and battery and charger. You get more channels and voice alerts.

The 9XR-pro is due any time now and that may be another good option. It will have features similar to the Taranis.

All these systems use open source firmware and are very powerful. You'll rely other users for support however.
The price difference of 9xr setup and Taranis is a lot more than similar... in fact the difference IF you can get a Taranis is 9xr is 1/2 the price.

To the other comment that some think I say Spektrum always fails.... that is putting words in my mouth that I did not say. I just say that service is not the important factor that some bat on about. Today's radios are like today's music boxes... cheap and cheerful and when they go wrong...the likes of 9x, 9xr can be replaced and still less money than a Spekie.

BTW - I am not an expert on the 9x... just a satisfied user who is fed up reading the mis-information spread by some.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 02-21-2014, 07:26 AM   #18
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Kyle.... I too grew up with crap gear that you flew on a prayer... and compare with today's.... a different world.

That is why I now look upon radios like music machines..... literally disposable items if they fail.

There are some real garbage radios... but for only a little more you get 9x or 9xr..with extensive programability and reliability. Fit with FrSky and you have one of the best systems going.

Note that I am still a JR man at heart. I just cannot justify such cost today... in 1980's... that was a different matter.

Nigel

Old 02-21-2014, 02:59 PM   #19
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (3)

The price difference of 9xr setup and Taranis is a lot more than similar... in fact the difference IF you can get a Taranis is 9xr is 1/2 the price.

Nigel
It depends if you want everything a Taranis has to offer. I own both a 9x running ER9x and a Taranis. If I wanted to get a 9XR similarly equipped I'd spend:

$50.22 for the radio
$73.08 for a Frsky XJT module and S-bus rec.
$12.99 for 9XR battery
$4.68 for the programmer
$13.46 for the case.

$154.43 total

I still wouldn't have a way to view Frysky telemetry or voice alerts.
Just pointing out for not much more than the 9XR you get quite a lot.

Comparing apples to apples, I think the Taranis is a good value.

If you already have a module, rec., and battery then the 9XR is a about 1/2 the cost of a Taranis.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:07 PM   #20
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by pmullen503 View Post
It depends if you want everything a Taranis has to offer. I own both a 9x running ER9x and a Taranis. If I wanted to get a 9XR similarly equipped I'd spend:

$50.22 for the radio
$73.08 for a Frsky XJT module and S-bus rec.
$12.99 for 9XR battery
$4.68 for the programmer
$13.46 for the case.

$154.43 total

I still wouldn't have a way to view Frysky telemetry or voice alerts.
Just pointing out for not much more than the 9XR you get quite a lot.

Comparing apples to apples, I think the Taranis is a good value.

If you already have a module, rec., and battery then the 9XR is a about 1/2 the cost of a Taranis.
That's still $100 ish less than a Taranis BASIC ... well that's what bI've seen advertised.

Most people are not looking for extended capability S bus etc. - they want a multi-ch radio at budget price ... the 9x is best priced as you can buy with module RTG ... next is the 9xr and purchased FrSky module and standard Rx .... BOTH way under the $100 mark .... in fact enough change to buy a 2nd Rx in fact ...

Nigel

Old 02-21-2014, 06:51 PM   #21
The steve

People people, end th e bikering please!

Tirannis wasn't an option I put up cause there was none around in my range, same a spektrum.

On that note the guy I got the xr off was running a orange rx module, its running fine with the dsm2 receiver, is there any point in switching it out straight away? I plan to go frysky one day but got now budget won't allow it~

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros

Tags
futaba , turnigy