Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Hi-Performance and Sailplanes
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-27-2014, 05:55 PM   #1
mcdcarmel

Friends: (0)
Default Bob Martin Pusycat Electric Conversion

Help!
I'm about to start building a Bob Martin's Pusycat sailplane that I had in storage. The plans have an option for Cox glow power however I'm going electric. If anyone has done this with a similar balsa plane (2m), I need the recommended motor, ESC, battery and prop sizes. Any help would be appreciated
Old 02-27-2014, 06:21 PM   #2
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

View Nitro Blast's Gallery38
Club: Silent Electric Fliers of San Diego
Send a message via MSN to Nitro Blast
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon  3kW  1kW  WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (67)

Originally Posted by mcdcarmel View Post
Help!
I'm about to start building a Bob Martin's Pusycat sailplane that I had in storage. The plans have an option for Cox glow power however I'm going electric. If anyone has done this with a similar balsa plane (2m), I need the recommended motor, ESC, battery and prop sizes. Any help would be appreciated
Welcome to the Wattflyer forum! I personally was addicted to all the Bob Martin gliders. I had a Bobcat, cat, Talon, Super Talon, Katie II & Coyote.
On my cat, I had real good results with a motor pod just like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/300895250068?lpid=82

There are lots of good motors out there and those will determine how much prop you want. If you dont do the pod thing, for sure go with a folding prop.

Hyperion makes a great line of motors for gliders that have tapered cases to fir into streamlined glider noses. A great place to start is with the Hyperion 3025/12 motor, a 30~50 amp ESC, and a 10x8 folder.

There is also a real good Himax brushess kit available that works awesome with 2 meter gliders, I have it in my Easy Glider Pro:

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/mpu/mpu...Fajm7AodQHAA5Q

For the price, its ready to go and all matched.

Electricity... It's not just for light bulbs anymore.

GoProfessional Cases industry grade protection for your gear

Dinogy Lipos professional grade energy

Project Globetrotter Participant 7/09
Wings Across America Participant 6/10
Old 02-27-2014, 07:03 PM   #3
mcdcarmel

Friends: (0)
Default Thank You Nitro!

Thank you Nitro for the quick and excellent reply. The kit is exactly what I need. Want to go with the ESC for better speed control. May get a few of these kits as I have several gliders from years ago hanging in the garage.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Hi-Performance and Sailplanes