Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-02-2014, 05:56 AM   #1
DavidR8

Friends: (1)
Default Is the Dollartree foamboard?

I have a Mikey's RC FPV on my shop table right now. I built it using Elmer's foamboard from Michaels. From what I've read it's heavier than Dollartree board.

Today I picked up 8 sheets from Dollartree. They are also Elmer's brand but feels significantly lighter (also less substantial) than the Michael's board.

I've attached a shot of the label from the stuff I picked up today. Is it what everyone else is using?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	173848

Flying more, crashing less. Feels great!

Champ, Super Cub, Fun Cub
Old 03-02-2014, 06:19 AM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,131 Times in 2,040 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (306)

Originally Posted by DavidR8 View Post
I have a Mikey's RC FPV on my shop table right now. I built it using Elmer's foamboard from Michaels. From what I've read it's heavier than Dollartree board.

Today I picked up 8 sheets from Dollartree. They are also Elmer's brand but feels significantly lighter (also less substantial) than the Michael's board.

I've attached a shot of the label from the stuff I picked up today. Is it what everyone else is using?
Hi I have used that board too, they are all just about the same, Remove the paper from just one side, and the board will still be strong, but lighter, Hope that helps, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 03-02-2014, 06:38 AM   #3
DavidR8

Friends: (1)
Default Thanks!

Thanks Chellie, appreciate the confirmation.

Flying more, crashing less. Feels great!

Champ, Super Cub, Fun Cub
Old 03-02-2014, 05:27 PM   #4
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (15)

Originally Posted by DavidR8 View Post
Thanks Chellie, appreciate the confirmation.
I take both sides of the paper off so it bends better and have built a few planes with it. I see some building with paper on and they fly well also but you cant glue anything to the paper part or it will pull loose later . joe

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wing build.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	173853

Name:	canard flight.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	173854

Name:	flying one.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	1.9 KB
ID:	173855
Old 03-02-2014, 06:25 PM   #5
Mivins
Marty

Club: Osprey Homestead FL
Friends: (0)

Hey David: I've used foam board from Dollar Tree and what I have been getting lately is Adams (brand) from R.L. Adams in Wyoming Mich. It appears to have a slightly wavey appearance but it is not apparent when I removed both sides of the paper. I like to use elmer's yellow carpenter glue as it seems to soak into the foam a bit and gives some adjustment time and not globs like the hot glue gun. I typically brush the surfaces with a trimmed down acid brush and then assemble and pin or clamp. Paper and cardboard adhere well as the glue soaks into the paper. Its cheap enough to do it however works best for you, experiment and you'll love it. The stuff really gets a lot of strength when you put a bit of a bend in it. Have fun, Marty
Old 03-02-2014, 06:27 PM   #6
Mivins
Marty

Club: Osprey Homestead FL
Friends: (0)

Hey David: I've used foam board from Dollar Tree and what I have been getting lately is Adams (brand) from R.L. Adams in Wyoming Mich. It appears to have a slightly wavey appearance but it is not apparent when I removed both sides of the paper. I like to use elmer's yellow carpenter glue as it seems to soak into the foam a bit and gives some adjustment time and not globs like the hot glue gun. I typically brush the surfaces with a trimmed down acid brush and then assemble and pin or clamp. Paper and cardboard adhere well as the glue soaks into the paper. Its cheap enough to do it however works best for you, experiment and you'll love it. The stuff really gets a lot of strength when you put a bit of a bend in it. Have fun, Marty
Old 03-02-2014, 09:26 PM   #7
Henry Sistrunk

View Henry Sistrunk's Gallery69
Awards Showcase

1kW  2kW 
Friends: (13)

Marty repeats himself
Old 03-02-2014, 09:26 PM   #8
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (15)

David i also collect free plans for DT foam and free balsa plans too. Here is thread on the Slowly from Germany and Jurgen just releiced the Judi Jetstream in the Slowly thread on post number 882 enjoy . joe http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...686460&page=59

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies