Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-05-2014, 11:05 PM   #1
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Friends: (4)
Default Covering on plastic

Can covering be used on plastics used for the cowl and such, more specifically the lighter coverings that take the least amount of heat to adhere?
Old 03-06-2014, 01:37 AM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,181 Times in 2,088 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (314)

Originally Posted by thepiper92 View Post
Can covering be used on plastics used for the cowl and such, more specifically the lighter coverings that take the least amount of heat to adhere?
Hi Its best to paint Plastic parts, the heat needed to Shrink the plastic covering is just about the same heat needed to mold/ melt plastic with and you may bend or shrink your plastic part, Just my 2 cents worth, Take care, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 03-06-2014, 02:22 AM   #3
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Club: Lancaster County Fliers
Friends: (3)

+1 on that. Plastic is easily paintable. If you want transparent colors just look for candy apple paints and skip the primer and metallic coats, just use the color.

"Give a man a plane and he'll fly for a day.
Teach a man to build a plane and he'll fly for a lifetime"
Old 03-06-2014, 03:41 AM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

I've actually tried it ... but the temp needed to shrink the film exceeds the plastics tolerance.

The best way to solve this is to match paint at local DIY shop ... use common house wall emulsion mixed to correct colour needed. Take a piece of film from model for matching colour.

If plastic part is clear plastic - excellent - you paint INSIDE which then the clear plastic gives the gloss to the paint.
If plastic is white or not clear - then paint exterior and finally a spray gloss lacquer coat to give it shine.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 03-06-2014, 06:22 AM   #5
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Do you know if typical polycarbonate paint works on the plastic
Old 03-06-2014, 06:29 AM   #6
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Best ask the "Car" guys ... they know all the variations of paint for plastic bodies.

Reason I suggest house wall paint is the coverage is one coat and water based.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 03-06-2014, 07:16 AM   #7
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

My car buddies used plastic spray paint. I wanna say dupoint, but it can be had at autozone or wallmart. just make sure it says plastics on it. some spray paint eats plastic.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 03-06-2014, 07:36 AM   #8
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Best ask the "Car" guys ... they know all the variations of paint for plastic bodies.

Reason I suggest house wall paint is the coverage is one coat and water based.

Nigel
I am a car guy, or more was a car guy. I have painted quite a few bodies, of which I found the best way to paint is one coat, hair dryer for 30 seconds to a minute, next coat, dryer again, take of masking to apply have next color, and so on. So in terms of polycarbonate bodies, I know how to paint well, and if anyone ever comes across the task of painting it, I can certainly help, although not in the realm of airbrushing, though I'm sure I could. The issue is, you can't tell by simply looking at plastic if it will work. I find the biggest issue is running if it is the wrong surface. I asked my LHS, and they didn't even know what I was talking about about this plastic cowl. Never built a plane before I gather. The reason I wanted covering is to get an exact match. Luckily, the Krylon Fusion I used on the P51 matches well but has no shine and scratches off easily. Don't want to do that again. I was reading large plastic areas can be covered, as you can glide the iron over before the plastic melts but allow the covering to adhere. With small parts, it's very difficult, as when you apply it, the iron is essential heating up the whole piece, not allowing you to give areas a rest from the heat. Perhaps a scrap piece would be wise to test, see how quickly it melts, and see if the covering adheres before melting the plastic. What I was thinking was to cover the cowl, and use a fine permanent sharpie to blacken the "seams" in the cowl.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:44 AM   #9
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
My car buddies used plastic spray paint. I wanna say dupoint, but it can be had at autozone or wallmart. just make sure it says plastics on it. some spray paint eats plastic.
Okay thanks, perhaps I'll find some "matching" polycarbonate paint. Only issue is, Testors no longer makes the polycarbonate, and all that is left is Tamiya...ugh. Anything at my LHS for polycarb may be expired. Testors still have spray enamel. Perchance my lhs has it.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:47 AM   #10
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Any auto parts store should also have it. they use it for car interior painting as well.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 03-06-2014, 07:49 AM   #11
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
Any auto parts store should also have it. they use it for car interior painting as well.
Do you have any experience with enamel?
Old 03-06-2014, 08:02 AM   #12
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

I honestly have no idea. when I buy paint I just read what it says on the label. if it says its okay for my application, I use it. I must admit though, my planes aren't known for their looks.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:26 AM   #13
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Lol nothing wrong with that, whatever floats your boat, or flies your plane. I personally like having scale look with semi scale flying, except Cessna kind of scale, I don't like the civilian stuff too much. My mini switch, on the other hand doesn't have the looks, being white foam, but it's certainly fun to fly around, and if I scrape the wing a tad on landing (the plane likes coming in fast) it's not gonna scratch paint or covering off. The less beautiful planes certainly cause you less stress during takeoff and landings.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:21 PM   #14
DHC Beaver

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (1)

I tried covering a cowl.Don't bother.It's impossible to cover a compound curve at the sort of curves you find on a cowl.
I use acrylic enamel through an airbrush,and put on a final clear coat from a spray can.
As long as you remember not too mix different paint types,painting is the way to go.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:08 PM   #15
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

So I guess I won't be matching color. Might as well go for a different color
Old 03-07-2014, 03:17 AM   #16
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

So I guess I won't be matching color. Might as well go for a different color
?? Why not ?

Go to local paint store ... show film to the assistant - they will blend up the paint colour for you.

Nigel

Old 03-07-2014, 03:19 AM   #17
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

?? Why not ?

Go to local paint store ... show film to the assistant - they will blend up the paint colour for you.

Nigel
Would they do spray enamel though?
Old 03-07-2014, 03:29 AM   #18
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Would they do spray enamel though?
Oh dear .. go back to my original suggestion ...

House wall paint with a clear gloss spray over top on outside. Or just wall paint on inside of clear plastic - as Oscar Wilde reputedly said : will shine out like a shaft of gold while all around is dark ...

Nigel

Old 03-07-2014, 03:39 AM   #19
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Oh dear .. go back to my original suggestion ...

House wall paint with a clear gloss spray over top on outside. Or just wall paint on inside of clear plastic - as Oscar Wilde reputedly said : will shine out like a shaft of gold while all around is dark ...

Nigel
Never been that good at using a brush and avoiding the brush lines in the paint. Varnish is another story but I'm no pro at brush painting. Perchance the clearcoat would help it.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:43 AM   #20
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Never been that good at using a brush and avoiding the brush lines in the paint. Varnish is another story but I'm no pro at brush painting. Perchance the clearcoat would help it.
Water based household emulsion wall paint ... the stuff you paint interior walls with ... flows and lines disappear ...

I paint many models with it ... no issues with compatibility of foam ... it dries quickly ... easy to touch up if repairs .... washes out brushes in water .... usually works in one coat ...

For gloss finish - apply spray gloss lacquer over top.

Nigel

Old 03-07-2014, 03:50 AM   #21
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

That's a big help, thanks. Now for the engine area, what color should that be? Since ill be down there, may as well get some for the engine. For the cockpit I already have my little bottles of paint.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:52 PM   #22
dgjessing

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assoc.
Friends: (0)

Water based household emulsion wall paint ... the stuff you paint interior walls with ... flows and lines disappear ...

I paint many models with it ... no issues with compatibility of foam ... it dries quickly ... easy to touch up if repairs .... washes out brushes in water .... usually works in one coat ...
It's easy to spray house paint too (spray gun, compressor...).

Dave
AMA #56519
Old 03-07-2014, 03:37 PM   #23
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

If I had that I would use it, but I don't have a lot of room as it is for more equipment.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:40 PM   #24
BroncoSquid
Workin on it...

Club: Bill G fan club!

Originally Posted by dgjessing View Post
It's easy to spray house paint too (spray gun, compressor...).
Yep, used Bher flat house paint thinned with windex, and a cheap Harbor Freight automotive spray gun last weekend to paint a home made horse stall for toy horses. I like the sample sizes they have $3 each, any color. They have a color matching machine there too.

I'm either going to get good at flying em, or get good at fixin em!
Old 03-07-2014, 05:09 PM   #25
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Hobby Airbrush and connectors ... less than $10

Aircan to power it - good enough for a few cowls ...

Or as some of us used back in 'old days' ... a car tyre pumped up hard.

If you really feel adventurous - an old refridgerator compressor can provide an excellent compressor for airbrush.

Nigel

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft