Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-11-2014, 07:53 PM   #1
njbipes

Friends: (0)
Default power supply for charger

I bought a 12v 30amp power supply put out by Nitrorcthunder sold through Direct-deals4u on ebay. I've had it since Oct 2013 and used it 6 times since I haven't been flying due to winter. I died yesterday. I contacted the co. and because it's outside the 30 day warranty they will look at it to fix with an estimated cost, without seeing it yet, of $15 - 30. It cost $57 new. If any of you out there have similar stories let everyone know. If you've had good luck with a power supply for your dc charger let us know that also. After my experience with this product I can't recommend it.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:09 PM   #2
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Best bet is to get yourself a Computer server power supply. Because they are made to operate servers they are made to a high quality and very high reliability, unlike the hobby stuff which is often cheap junk in comparison. Even second hand server PSU's are very dependable.

The easiest one to use is probably the HP DPS-600PB. They are very common and can be picked up off eBay dirt cheap. A single DPS-600PB will give 12V and 48Amps, and costs about $20 off eBay. Conversion consists only of soldering on a couple of bullet connectors for DC output and jumpering a couple of pins together to turn the unit on, 30 minutes work at the most, you dont even need to take the case off the unit to do it.

PS, there is a photo of my old dual DPS-600PB PSU in the first photo of this thread, along with my new 'mega PSU' the ESP120.... The lights in the neighbourhood dim when i power that thing up
Old 03-11-2014, 10:07 PM   #3
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,112 Times in 2,022 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (306)

If you have a old pc power supply, you can make your own charger power supply from it.

http://www.marcee.org/Articles/PCPowerSupply.htm

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...c+power+supply

Computer Power Supply How To
http://www.marcee.org/Articles/PCPowerSupply.htm

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...r+power+supply

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...r+power+supply

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 03-12-2014, 12:24 AM   #4
njbipes

Default charger

Thanks for the replys. picked up 2 DPS-600PB's for $30.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:02 AM   #5
sidybee

i tried a pc power supply supposed to be 12 v @20 amp ya right would not run my charger got error code not enough imput
Old 03-12-2014, 05:19 AM   #6
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by sidybee View Post
i tried a pc power supply supposed to be 12 v @20 amp ya right would not run my charger got error code not enough imput
If you want a "Plug and Play" power supply for your charger, brand new, warrantied units are available for about $40.
http://www.mpja.com/12-Volt-Power-Su...fo/18435%20PS/

There are also a number of wattflyer readers that are selling computer server power supplies with a fixed 12 Volt DC, 50 Amp output. Several of my club members have bought them, and are well satisfied.

These power supplies just require a three wire AC plug with hot, neutral and ground wire for AC input. And their 12 Volt DC output is a simple screw terminal.

I've got one rated at 24 Volts DC at 25 Amps, but these are hard to find now days.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 03-12-2014, 07:01 AM   #7
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by njbipes View Post
Thanks for the replys. picked up 2 DPS-600PB's for $30.

If you intend to run them in series to get 24V output then there is a modification that must be done on the second PSU to disconnect the DC output side from ground.

Any problems PM me, I've done it before.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:58 PM   #8
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

I've been using an old power supply for several small chargers for close to two years now without any issue.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 03-12-2014, 05:40 PM   #9
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by njbipes;942234[B
I died yesterday.
LOL, you might want to add a "T" to "I died yesterday"!

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 03-12-2014, 09:52 PM   #10
sidybee

ok got mine to work .. apparently there r wire's 12v 1amp and up on this one .i had it on the wrong one hahahahaha .its working fine now........ now back to building........you know that watt meter is coming in handy glad you guys talked me into getting one thanks
Old 03-12-2014, 11:18 PM   #11
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,112 Times in 2,022 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (306)

Originally Posted by sidybee View Post
ok got mine to work .. apparently there r wire's 12v 1amp and up on this one .i had it on the wrong one hahahahaha .its working fine now........ now back to building........you know that watt meter is coming in handy glad you guys talked me into getting one thanks
Great, Glad you got it working Yea, the Wattmeter will save you a bundle, it will keep you from burning up a lot of electronic parts I would say my Wattmeter has saved me over 300.00 over the years, its great for matching props to power systems so you dont over amp your electronics and fry them. take care, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers