Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-13-2014, 11:29 AM   #1
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)
Default How To Hand Launch Your Park Flier For Beginners

Found this Video from Horizon Hobby on hand Launching a Park Flier and even Learned something myself Your never to old to learn something new Enjoy, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 03-13-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Chellie,

Thanks for sharing. I have a lot of hand launchers, some easy, others not so easy. I didn't see the Frisbee style backhand launch in the vid. I see some guys doing this on flying wings. What the vid shows well is that you don't have to be a quarterback or Olympic Javelin thrower to launch these planes.

I need to practice the left hand toss with teeth on throttle technique. WTS does this very well. Can't tell you how many times I've been late getting to the right stick. And by the time I get there, I over control and torque roll the plane into the ground.

And I found out adding a lot of expo is not a good solution either as is just softens the curve around the center of the stick movement. When you over re-act, the stick movement goes extreme and you're in big trouble.

The other thing I've learned is that many planes don't need full throttle for take off, especially when you launch a plane that's designed for 3S on 4S . I have the small crumbled pieces of foam to know better now.

I now have a bungee launcher to try. This will help with the high powered, small & twitchy edf's. But there's the setup hassle to deal with.

-Hawk
Old 03-13-2014, 02:28 PM   #3
quorneng
Super Contributor

Club: A lone flyer!
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (7)

My issue with the video is that all those planes were perfectly in trim and even then the prop planes showed a bit of a torque roll. This is normal but was not mentioned.

Doing a maiden without my aileron/elevator hand on the stick? Never!
Old 03-13-2014, 07:04 PM   #4
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

I fisbee launch my slowstick, or I angle it up at 45 or so, put the throttle where I want it and let it go. even if its really nose heavy, it gives you a minute to get your right hand back on the stick. I've done this with my mini ultra stick as well. But I like my junk overpowered.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 03-13-2014, 07:57 PM   #5
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Did you notice the left to right hand switch in the video?

First he recommended that you launch the plane with the left hand so you can keep control of the Tx with the right hand. While this appears to make some sense and might work for some personally I don't really agree with that because using the left hand to launch increased the chance of a dorked launch a lot.. And anyway you only have very limited control with only one hand holding the Tx, even if it's you right hand.

Interestingly when he moved to the more challenging planes (the Stryker and Habu) he switched hands and did it the way i always would, launching with the right hand.

i liked the inverted launch... very cool!
Old 03-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #6
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

An inverted underhand edf launch!?! You could pick up chicks somewhere with moves like that!

The only plane I put in the dumpster was because of my first hand launch attempt. A Phase3 P-40. Had pretty good success with the UMX Stryker, though. But the nose got beat up pretty bad.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:11 PM   #7
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

Some good tips and some that do not work for everyone......my two Pipers will attest to that (whats left of them).......thus ROG for me, even if the surface I launch from is questionable......

AMA 928214
Old 03-13-2014, 10:51 PM   #8
dgjessing

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assoc.
Friends: (0)

With the few planes that I hand launch, I have somebody else do it for the maiden flight(s), trim it out, then launch with my right hand from then on out. I can get my right hand back on the stick in half a second or so, I'll bet.

My left hand toss would probably be terrible, plus you can't really operate the transmitter with one hand anyway, so why bother trying?

Dave
AMA #56519
Old 03-14-2014, 12:40 AM   #9
pmullen503

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 

Catapult launch is pretty reliable and can be done with no power just to check your CG and throws. Both hands on the sticks too.

What about a gentle DLG style for flying wings?

Underhand inverted launch?!? Now he's just showing off.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:27 AM   #10
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
I fisbee launch my slowstick, or I angle it up at 45 or so, put the throttle where I want it and let it go. even if its really nose heavy, it gives you a minute to get your right hand back on the stick. I've done this with my mini ultra stick as well. But I like my junk overpowered.
I never seen a SS being Frisbee Launched We Need a Video of that

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Did you notice the left to right hand switch in the video?

Yep, I Guess its what ever your comfortable with at the time

First he recommended that you launch the plane with the left hand so you can keep control of the Tx with the right hand. While this appears to make some sense and might work for some personally I don't really agree with that because using the left hand to launch increased the chance of a dorked launch a lot.. And anyway you only have very limited control with only one hand holding the Tx, even if it's you right hand.

Interestingly when he moved to the more challenging planes (the Stryker and Habu) he switched hands and did it the way i always would, launching with the right hand.

i liked the inverted launch... very cool!
I cant toss a plane with My Left Hand or a Ball, I Throw Like a GIRL with My Left Hand, Oh Wait, I am a Girl LOL

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
An inverted underhand edf launch!?! You could pick up chicks somewhere with moves like that!

The only plane I put in the dumpster was because of my first hand launch attempt. A Phase3 P-40. Had pretty good success with the UMX Stryker, though. But the nose got beat up pretty bad.
Hand Launching is not as Easy as some people think it is.

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
Some good tips and some that do not work for everyone......my two Pipers will attest to that (whats left of them).......thus ROG for me, even if the surface I launch from is questionable......
I prefer ROG, but some planes you have to hand Launch, I tried to put some Landing gear on a Stryker, But that did not work, when it transitioned it fliped straight up, stalled out and crashed

Originally Posted by dgjessing View Post
With the few planes that I hand launch, I have somebody else do it for the maiden flight(s), trim it out, then launch with my right hand from then on out. I can get my right hand back on the stick in half a second or so, I'll bet.

My left hand toss would probably be terrible, plus you can't really operate the transmitter with one hand anyway, so why bother trying?
I have crashed a Plane once or twice because I could not get my right hand on the transmitter stick quick enough.

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 03-14-2014, 02:31 AM   #11
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Chellie,

Thanks for sharing. I have a lot of hand launchers, some easy, others not so easy. I didn't see the Frisbee style backhand launch in the vid. I see some guys doing this on flying wings. What the vid shows well is that you don't have to be a quarterback or Olympic Javelin thrower to launch these planes.

I need to practice the left hand toss with teeth on throttle technique. WTS does this very well. Can't tell you how many times I've been late getting to the right stick. And by the time I get there, I over control and torque roll the plane into the ground.

And I found out adding a lot of expo is not a good solution either as is just softens the curve around the center of the stick movement. When you over re-act, the stick movement goes extreme and you're in big trouble.

The other thing I've learned is that many planes don't need full throttle for take off, especially when you launch a plane that's designed for 3S on 4S . I have the small crumbled pieces of foam to know better now.

I now have a bungee launcher to try. This will help with the high powered, small & twitchy edf's. But there's the setup hassle to deal with.

-Hawk
I feel that Bungees are a great way to launch a plane, I dont like rear prop planes, to easy to get a prop bite. I have crashed trying to get my hand back on the transmitter stick, one time I could not find the stick Quick enough yea, it crashed on take off. with people looking LOL

Old 03-14-2014, 03:05 AM   #12
Murman
Dumb-Thumbin' since 2007

Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 

I taught myself to fly with a Superfly. I launched it by grasping it by one wing and tossing it side-arm. It's what I'm used to, and I now use this launching technique for most of my planes.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:12 AM   #13
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Murman View Post
I taught myself to fly with a Superfly. I launched it by grasping it by one wing and tossing it side-arm. It's what I'm used to, and I now use this launching technique for most of my planes.
You made that look to EASY

Old 03-14-2014, 02:10 PM   #14
Wrongway-Feldman

Being left handed I've always tossed with my left hand.
I can't imagine not having my fingers on the directional controls, especially on a maiden flight.
I can't begin to count the number of planes I would have turfed if I would have had to search for the controls after a launch. That brief moment can make all the difference.

----------------------------------------------------------
Dumas Ecroupe, MM EVA, E-flite L4 Grasshopper, Sig Kougar, Sig Kobra, Top Fight Contender, top flite mini contender, Carl Goldberg Skylark mark II, M&H Sportster 40.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:44 PM   #15
rreid7

Club: AMA #987422

I routinely hand launch most of my planes, and I do it left handed. I'm right handed and can't throw with my left worth beans, but I don't throw the airplanes so it doesn't matter. At most it's just a gentle forward motion and let go. Using a neck strap I do have adequate control of ailerons and elevator with the right hand only during the time it takes to get the left hand back on the tx. Throttle gets set with the right hand (usually 1/2 to 3/4, depending on the plane) just before launch; I don't really like chewing on the throttle stick!

Old 03-14-2014, 06:00 PM   #16
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

I don't normally toss my slow stick unless I'm flying off of long grass. it does pretty okay rog.

Here is my dad fisbiee launching his old brushed motor flying on a 800mah 3 cell.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 03-14-2014, 09:07 PM   #17
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by hayofstacks
I never seen a SS being Frisbee Launched We Need a Video of that

From "frisbee" experience I've enjoyed, the most common and effective toss is a "back hand" flick.....which, by definition, is a "frisbee" toss......I too have never seen a slow stick launced with a "back hand" flick by the wing....but I have seen dozens of them thrown forward by the wings and even just launched, being held at the stick vertically, with plenty of throttle.......I'ts really not that unique or difficult to do...even for a bigginer......

AMA 928214
Old 03-14-2014, 10:34 PM   #18
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
Yeah, lots of beginners have a hard time hand launching .

Old 03-15-2014, 12:22 AM   #19
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

"Some good tips and some that do not work for everyone......my two Pipers will attest to that (whats left of them).......thus ROG for me, even if the surface I launch from is questionable........"

This statement should be qualified by also pointing out that a beginner pilot (a pilot with very little actual flying experince), may need to consider whether or not his actual flying skills will meet the challenge to include hand launching....since, one would not only be new at actual flight but will also compound the new experience with another skill that must be developed properly to accomplish both with success.......

To also include, one may be new to or have little experience hand launching does not mean they are new to the flying experience, both exercises require a seperate skill set and having flying experience does not translate into being able to have continued success at hand launching..... But, becoming experienced at the hand launching technique, it could enhance the flying experience.......there will be far less success experienced by both the beginner pilot who is also new to hand launching.....not so vice-versa.

From personal experience, it took two Pipers and quite a few hours of hand launching before this experienced pilot became proficient at hand launching (with complete confidence and 100% control)...but, neither of the Pipers were extremely powered (no vertical launch capability) and after-all, they were just your run-of-the-mill park flyers with typical Piper Cub tendencies.......I guess if they were powered sufficiently any one could have hand launched them vertically......

AMA 928214
Old 03-15-2014, 12:36 AM   #20
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Yeah, since a stock brushed slow stick with a tiny battery was vertically launched only with power. another mistake beginners make a lot.

Old 03-15-2014, 04:34 PM   #21
Wrongway-Feldman

I find the biggest mistake most flyers new to hand launching make is launching with a wide open throttle. This just leads to too many planes rolling to one side upon leaving the hand and not having enough time to get their fingers on the sticks to correct the flight path.
As a rule of thumb a hand launched plane simply does not need as much power as a ROG take off to attain flight.

----------------------------------------------------------
Dumas Ecroupe, MM EVA, E-flite L4 Grasshopper, Sig Kougar, Sig Kobra, Top Fight Contender, top flite mini contender, Carl Goldberg Skylark mark II, M&H Sportster 40.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:23 PM   #22
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

I just came back from stretching the legs on the Tiger Moth and Albatros (no hand launching these....lol) and there were a couple of guys down the field from us "learning" how to hand launch a few pushers (they looked like the Sky Surfers) and a small-ish P-51.......I say "learning" due to the amount of tries they appeared to attempt (one guy was "throwing" while the other was on the sticks)......one of the pushers was clearly motor mod, the others (2) appeared to be stock.

Since I was taking a break, I watched for a bit.......they seemed to be experienced pilots, once they got airbourn.....but they had fits launching the mod-ed pusher and the P-51......kept trying the full throttle routine at different angles......so, after having wittnessed several turf bitters, my buddy and I strolled over and introduced ourselves, (since they had been watching us practicing formation with the bi-wings). We looked over the pusher they were attempting and determined all was in order (minus a few pieces of belly foam) and suggested a few angles of attack and reducing the throttle.......it wasn't long (two attempts) before both of them got the pusher up and stable.......the P-51 batteries had nothing left, so, that was benched.

Like Feldman stated.....(and listening to these guys mention that they were told that having more throttle is better).......it's not always the amount of vertical the craft can quickly achieve that makes the difference when hand launching (although, on some models it can help like the P-51)......in their case, the "throwing" method and throttle management made the biggest difference........

At least they both were pretty nice guys and thanked us for helping.....before the batteries were done and not to much damage was suffered on the fairly new planes.......to add, we both mentioned that we don't fly craft without wheels and rarely hand launch anything we own.....they acknowledged that, but were dying to try the method with their belly crashers (without gear)......

AMA 928214
Old 03-15-2014, 09:57 PM   #23
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

I only hand launch when the grass is too high. a rog take off isn't generally any different from flying the plane. and its really not all that often you have to do that when you can take off and land in the space of a single parking stall.

obviously not every park flyer can do this, but its one of the games me and my dad play a lot where we fly. I can do it with the mini ultra stick as well, but it needs a bit of a headwind to get off the ground fast enough. maybe ill try turning the esc over to a fast start to see if it gets off the ground quicker.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners