Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-19-2014, 12:41 AM   #1
time bandit

Friends: (12)
Default What brand of Tx are you guys using?...

I'm going to start shopping for a radio and there's so many out there now it's really confusing. I'm thinking about an entry level computer radio. Maybe the DX6i. Any suggestions?
Old 03-19-2014, 12:46 AM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,109 Times in 2,019 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (305)

Originally Posted by time bandit View Post
I'm going to start shopping for a radio and there's so many out there now it's really confusing. I'm thinking about an entry level computer radio. Maybe the DX6i. Any suggestions?
the DX6i is a good Transmitter, also only use full range receivers, stay away from the park flier receivers, they have a short range and get masked real easy, which leads to a brown out/ loss of control.

2.4 - 4 channel Full Range Receiver

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...FcyTfgodjycAaQ

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 03-19-2014, 01:15 AM   #3
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

I use Spektrum. If you like the brand and can wait, hold of four the new Dx6. Shouldn't be long now. Has voice and many improvements over the 6i.

Also, keep in mind, most brands are just fine. It's a matter of the things you want. I think Spektrums are easy to program. Others want more customizing choices. Also, Spektrum binds with the Horizon Hobby line of BNF vehicles. You will of course hear from those who think band x or y is junk but won't be able to give you a logical reason.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:32 AM   #4
FlyWheel
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton

View FlyWheel's Gallery5
Club: Lancaster County Fliers
Friends: (3)

Hitec Flash5X which I bought used from a member of this group years ago. Still have it, still use it, still works great.

"Give a man a plane and he'll fly for a day.
Teach a man to build a plane and he'll fly for a lifetime"
Old 03-19-2014, 02:08 AM   #5
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

DX6i is being replaced by the DX6 (2014 version). That would be the one to get...

The short range Chellie speaks of is around 1.7 miles (measured) so don't worry too much about that, or brownout (it has nothing to do with masking rather low voltage booting - just use good bec's). I do agree with her on the RX however. The AR400 rx she points out is an awesome receiver however.

Life is good in the 2.4Ghz world.

Mike
Old 03-19-2014, 03:35 AM   #6
carpetbagger

Friends: (0)

I have a Futaba 4YF non-program rig. I also have a Radiolink (cheap) 4 channel I got because the Rx is $13 and I intend to run that in radio assist free flight, like a rudder to head it back home and a DT.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:04 AM   #7
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Funny you should ask.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71276

As you can see from this limited poll, Spektrum has something like 50% of the entire market on 2.4 Ghz transmitters.

As far as the club I belong to, its more like 95% Spektrum. Spektrum has one of the best warranties out there on their equipment. As often as not, they've been fixing their stuff at no charge. One of my club members had a binding problem with his DX7 transmitter. It would loose bind on occasion. Spektrum could not verify it, so they shipped back a brand new out of the box DX7 transmitter. Our club member told just about everyone in our club, and who knows who else about his brand new DX7 unit. Last fall, he bought a new DX8 system, and is using the DX7 as a backup.

Hope this helps.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 03-19-2014, 06:13 AM   #8
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

I started off with the Futaba 6EX and later switched over to the Spektrum DX9. The new DX6 would be a great choice if you're budget minded. Cool features including voice reminders. If you're uber cheap, take a look at the Frsky or Turnigy 9xr. Can be had for less than $100

They're all pretty good.

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 03-19-2014, 08:30 AM   #9
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
DX6i is being replaced by the DX6 (2014 version). That would be the one to get...

The short range Chellie speaks of is around 1.7 miles (measured) so don't worry too much about that, or brownout (it has nothing to do with masking rather low voltage booting - just use good bec's). I do agree with her on the RX however. The AR400 rx she points out is an awesome receiver however.

Life is good in the 2.4Ghz world.

Mike
I Tell it like it is, But, Most Die Hard 2.4Ghz people do not want to believe it, here is a Article from Model Airplane News. Please read the Full Article.
We recently received this intruiging article from Dave Horvath and invite you to read it and then join in the discussion.

http://www.modelairplanenews.com/blo...he-discussion/

1. The Fresnel effect and the described interference on the 2.4GHz band work pretty well. We successfully tested this at different locations. Unfortunately, the “unbreakable Tx-Rx link” broke when our model was over 0.2 miles away at 45 degree angle. Despite the fact that a 90 decibel signal loss over a thousand feet (0.2 miles) is rather significant, we should have had control at this distance. There are too many factors that can determine the overall range on 2.4GHz. 2.4GHz receivers are not immune to ignition and electrical noise as advertised. Occasional arc from high tension insulators could break the bind.

2. Despite glowing reviews, the so-called “bulletproof 2.4GHz technology” has had range and reliability problems since day one. A bench test inside a building in a controlled environment where the receiver is a few inches away from the transmitter is meaningless.

3. 2.4GHz wavelength is not the best choice to control model airplanes. Furthermore, we have ended up with complex radio systems on an overcrowded band on the electromagnetic wave spectrum.

4. The bottom line is that glitch-free software, error-free computers, and an interference-free radio link is only an illusion.

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 03-19-2014, 08:36 AM   #10
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

To be Very Honest IMHO, if your in the USA, get a 72 mhz JR Transmitter with a Berg Receiver, no brown out problems, its full range, no masking problems, a Berg receiver is the best to use with E Power, I learned about all the issues with 2.4Ghz and went back to 72 Mhz, IMHO, I am very happy I did , take care and have fun, Chellie

Old 03-19-2014, 10:10 AM   #11
MadMonkey
OOGA BOOGA

Club: 114th RC Aerosquadron
Send a message via AIM to MadMonkey Send a message via MSN to MadMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to MadMonkey
Friends: (1)

I crashed at least 2 planes when using Berg receivers... they're all in the trash now (I almost lost one to a GWS receiver too... but I guess that's why it was free).

I generally fly JR with Spektrum or cheap orange receivers, though I've had two DX7s as well. They've never had problems, but I did lose two planes to my X9303 using Spektrum receivers and one with a JR receiver, and one helicopter with a DX6i.

My 11X hasn't had any problems so far, luckily.

As far as which to get, I've been flying for about 20 years and have used Futaba, JR, Hitec, Airtronics, Spektrum and many low-budget brands.

For simplicity, I'd recommend Spektrum. Lots of choices and good support, and I've never had a problem with their transmitters aside from the DX6i, which I'm not fond of anyway due to the design. I REALLY like the DX7 as a beginner radio because it'll last you for a loooong time as far as options go.

I flew 72mhz for a long time (until around 2008 I believe) and I'm happy that I made the switch, especially after having to route long antennas through the planes and replacing multiple transmitter antennas that got bent. Modelmatch is handy too... even though I'm a careful guy, I've still had an instance where I flew the wrong program on a 72mhz transmitter.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:40 AM   #12
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

I Had a DX6i 2.4 transmitter, Before i bought it, i thought, I better wait until they get all the bugs out of it, I was right, first generation POS DX6i had Issues and a recall, I Never had any recalls with a JR 72 Mhz transmitter, then I was Flying my plane with 2.4, did a pass right in front of me, then I had no Control of the plane, none of the transmitter sticks worked, I just watched my plane go in, and there was not a thing I could do about it, no more 2.4 for me, never ever a issue with a berg receiver and a JR Transmitter on 72mhz.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:15 AM   #13
time bandit

Thanks for all of the info from everyone. I just read up on the new Spektrum DX6 due out in June. Maybe I'm blind but I did't see exponential offered on that radio. There was a long impressive list of what the new DX6 offered in it's program features except for expo. I was on the Spektrum site so maybe it was a typo? I have also considered 72Mhz as that's what I had the last time I was active in the hobby. I had a really good Futaba back then and wish I had kept it. Hey Chellie that was an interesting article you linked to. Thanks a lot.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:27 AM   #14
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Hi Time bandit I have had Futaba transmitters too, never ever a Problem with them on 72 Mhz, the older 72mhz receivers work great with with glow, but, E Power has much more RFI Noise, and the berg Receivers are the best of the best to filter out all of that noise on 72 Mhz, IMHO HAM would be the best Frequency’s to use, but you would have to get a Ham Radio Lic. Take care and have fun, Chellie

Old 03-19-2014, 11:40 AM   #15
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Thanks for all of the info from everyone. I just read up on the new Spektrum DX6 due out in June. Maybe I'm blind but I did't see exponential offered on that radio. There was a long impressive list of what the new DX6 offered in it's program features except for expo. I was on the Spektrum site so maybe it was a typo? I have also considered 72Mhz as that's what I had the last time I was active in the hobby. I had a really good Futaba back then and wish I had kept it. Hey Chellie that was an interesting article you linked to. Thanks a lot.
You might want to Wait a While after the DX6 comes out to buy it, First generation transmitters seem to have Issues with them and recalls, I waited when the first DX6i came out, glad i did, Yep, recalls problems with it, just my 2 cents worth, Take care, Chellie

Old 03-19-2014, 12:22 PM   #16
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
I Tell it like it is,
You give your opinion and frankly I don't agree. Isn't it nice we can all form an opinion? I know your early experience with Spektrum was poor. For that I am sorry. But you are in a very small minority.

But, Most Die Hard 2.4Ghz people do not want to believe it, here is a Article from Model Airplane News. Please read the Full Article.
I have read that article. And it too is dated (2011) many advances since then - especially for Spektrum. Some conclusions are accurate some are not.

Here is what we know. 2.4GHz provides the MOST reliable RF link we have ever had with our aircraft. The large events have figured this out. 99.8% of pilots have figured this out. Someday you will too, figure this out. But I am glad you are happy on 72mhz.

1. The Fresnel effect and the described interference on the 2.4GHz band work pretty well. We successfully tested this at different locations. Unfortunately, the “unbreakable Tx-Rx link” broke when our model was over 0.2 miles away at 45 degree angle. Despite the fact that a 90 decibel signal loss over a thousand feet (0.2 miles) is rather significant, we should have had control at this distance. There are too many factors that can determine the overall range on 2.4GHz. 2.4GHz receivers are not immune to ignition and electrical noise as advertised. Occasional arc from high tension insulators could break the bind.
I simply don't agree, nor does my experience reflect that. Now I have a system that LOGS my entire flight, many key things, including the RF signal as the RX see's it. I know exactly how many lost frames my RX "sees". Guess what - as a general rule, with a good installation I see ZERO frames lost.

Pretty good eh? This is not some guy writing an article and speculating - this is my actual equipment, on my actual flight, reporting what it saw. Much better iMHO. Does your Berg do that?

2. Despite glowing reviews, the so-called “bulletproof 2.4GHz technology” has had range and reliability problems since day one. A bench test inside a building in a controlled environment where the receiver is a few inches away from the transmitter is meaningless.
Again - nothing is 100% - I have never said that. It is best - I have said that.

For me - in real life. Large gliders - no range issues. For me not ONE SINGLE reliability issue. I have and use all the major systems, not just Spektrum. Guess what - they all work!

3. 2.4GHz wavelength is not the best choice to control model airplanes. Furthermore, we have ended up with complex radio systems on an overcrowded band on the electromagnetic wave spectrum.
Again 100% false. IRCHA (this last year - it is the largest RC event in the world). This could NEVER happen on 72MHz by the way. There were OVER 1,000 registered pilots on ONE single (albeit long - over 1 mile) flight line. 2.4GHz was mandatory per the event organizers (I don't wonder why - but you should ask yourself why they would 2,4GHz if inferior - right?).

At this event (we had several from our club attend in person) I asked how many radio issues. Guess what - not one reported. Zero, Zilch, Nada. The event organizers, and the radio manufactures were present. Several were using analyzers to monitor the 2.4GHz range. This so they could learn and improve.

Isn't that amazing! You could never do that on 72MHz. With that you would have limited flights to 10-15 pilots at a time. With 1k pilots you get to fly once or twice a day. Not good... My club mates said they flew whenever they wanted and as much as they wanted.

Score a huge win for 2.4GHz as the band swamping issues appear to be managed quite well...

4. The bottom line is that glitch-free software, error-free computers, and an interference-free radio link is only an illusion.
Correct - where did I say it was error free again? I just said it was best and agree nothing is 100% - not with radio RF. There is always a chance for issues. With my 2.4GHz logging I can find those out too.

It is best - all in my opinion but I don't think I am alone.

Mike
Old 03-19-2014, 12:26 PM   #17
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

Thanks for all of the info from everyone. I just read up on the new Spektrum DX6 due out in June.
Dates I am hearing are more like late April.

Maybe I'm blind but I did't see exponential offered on that radio. There was a long impressive list of what the new DX6 offered in it's program features except for expo. I was on the Spektrum site so maybe it was a typo?
It will have Expo. That, as you point out is a core feature of computer systems today. Have no fear.

I have also considered 72Mhz as that's what I had the last time I was active in the hobby. I had a really good Futaba back then and wish I had kept it. Hey Chellie that was an interesting article you linked to. Thanks a lot.
Trust the majority here - not the single minority voice. 72MHz time has past - long past. The war was won, by 2.4GHz. It is simply the most reliable RF link in the game. If you want the best - you will go to 2.4GHz.

Trust us.

Mike
Old 03-19-2014, 04:08 PM   #18
dustint209

Friends: (0)

I love my JR XG6! No complaints so far!
Old 03-19-2014, 04:46 PM   #19
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Friends: (4)

Lol where is Nigel?...He should have already swooped in to persuade time bandit to go Turnigy (no offence Nigel). Kinda what happened to me when I was looking for a new radio...though I don't regret it at all, and Nigel certainly helped me save money. Even my stock 9x with whatever 2.4ghz system they use has never failed me, but I wanted the nicer features of better radio. The 9xr has the features I want, and the more I explore around on it, the more I see how free one is to modify the settings, including shutting off the annoying beeping. I enjoy Turnigy stuff a lot, and I like the value to a great degree, especially when others felt that I shouldn't go for a 6 channel Spektrum, which would result in over $400 for a Spektrum with more channels.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:59 PM   #20
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 

The Turnigy just has too wide a QC issue for me. My most important RC purchase - and I am OK with spending the premium.

The Taranis looks like a good compromise too...but you may need a PhD to program it. LOL
Old 03-19-2014, 05:03 PM   #21
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Only issue with them was the first radio I bought, a 6 channel one. It worked for a basic setup, but the menus didn't all function well. My 9x never brought me any trouble, and my 9xr is perfect so far as well. Not only is the price of Spektrum too high for me, but I have had major issues with a 2ch Spektrum that I used with an RC car, getting only about 80 feet of range. Yes, this wasn't a 6ch radio, but it was still $100. What I did was go for a cheap $30 (with shipping) radio from a Chinese brand it works well. I'm far more into planes now, but I still don't trust Spektrum. What I like about them is most companies you can just bind with the planes right away, but seeing as I am liking building balsa planes a lot more and making the makes my own, I am okay with no easy binding to a plane that has a receiver already. If I were to go to more expensive planes, however, I would go for a more expensive radio.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:36 PM   #22
time bandit

Well there certainly seems to be a lot of different thoughts and opinions about radios these days!!
Old 03-19-2014, 10:50 PM   #23
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Lol, inevitably. I say it comes down to how much you can spend, but not just in radios, but in your planes themselves, or quads and helis. I can't see myself ever going to a $1000 or more 1/4 plane. I spend about, on average, $150-$200 per plane. My kit for the P47 was around $100, motor is $20, speed control $20, servos around $20 too. Other little bits and pieces add up a bit. I will never go past a 50 inch wingspan plane, as I find they get to awkward, even if I had the room to fly. Also, if something goes wrong, which likely won't be from the radio, it will not cost much to cut up the covering, fix a few stringers, etc. With that, why would I spend over $200 on a radio. Keep in mind that this is a 6ch, so once the 6 channels are used up, that's it. For a better radio it is $400, and that is a little costly I feel. Now, going up to $1000 bucks for a plane, I have a lot on the line for one, two, crashes will damage more two, and three, with $1000, I likely have more money to throw around for a more expensive radio anyway. There are some that don't like Turnigy, and I respect that; Turnigy has had issues, nothing is perfect. Go down to your lhs, pick up a Specktrum radio, see how it feels, how smooth everything is and see if you personally feel it is worth the money. You can't likely pick up a 9xr and feel how it is, but it isn't exactly junky feeling. As for customer service, some feel that the higher cost is worth it, but Hobbyking seems to be getting better in customer service as well, so if all you have to do is wait longer for shipping (I wait longer for more expensive shipping from the US, than cheaper shipping from China anyway :P), $150 bucks less for more channels is good to me. I have yet to have good a reason to not like the 9x or 9xr.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:59 PM   #24
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
You give your opinion and frankly I don't agree. Isn't it nice we can all form an opinion? I know your early experience with Spektrum was poor. For that I am sorry. But you are in a very small minority.

It is best - all in my opinion but I don't think I am alone.

Mike
Hi Mike
No you are not alone.

I did read that article from Horvath, and a lot of it is a little bit of BS. Like microwaves being closer to light frequency than the old 72 Mhz frequencies. FYI, that is 2400 Mhz, vs 72 Mhz. Thats about 33 times higher in frequency. Compare that to the frequency of light, which is some 150,000 times higher than 2.4 Ghz in frequency.

As for that Fresnel effect. Checking out the internet on 2.4 Ghz and that Fresnel effect, you will find that they are including the curvature of the earth in their calculations. This Fresnel effect shows up when the transmitter and receiver are 10 or 20 miles apart. Like those microwave towers you see around the neighborhood.

Guess Horvath never read the several articles published on the 2.4 Ghz frequencies where they did actual range testing with transmitters on the ground, and receivers in the air aboard a full scale airplane. Or with the transmitters on a big hill, and the receivers in a car, driven down a highway away from the hill. Both of them got ranges in excess of two miles on most popular 2.4 Ghz radio systems.

Yes, you can have overcrowding on 2.4 Ghz frequencies under some conditions. But it takes hundreds of RC transmitters all turned on at the same time. These 2.4 Ghz radios are capable of very high data transmission rates. So even if 90% of that transmission is blocked for some reason, the last 10% is more than enough to have full control of your model.

Even so, with Spektrums new DSMX radio frequency transmission, that gets about as close to bullet proof as you can get.

These 2.4 Ghz radios do demand solid 5 Volt DC power to the receiver though. What could pass for the old 72 Mhz radios doesn't work on 2.4 Ghz. As a minimum, you need 5 Cell Nih receiver batteries for the smaller models. Or, a quality switching type of uBEC for receiver/servo power.

Spektrum did have an issue early on with inadequate receiver battery power. On a battery voltage dip below 3.2 Volts DC, the receiver would re-boot, taking several seconds. Spektrum long ago redid their transmitter/receiver software to reduce that reboot time to something like a half second.

As has been indicated many times in this forum, that "Voltage Brown Out" is NOT a receiver issue. It is the result of an inadequate receiver power supply that is not capable of providing solid battery power to your receiver and its servos. On that line, I'm not really in favor of using those ESC's that use a Linear BEC on any battery pack consisting of three or more LiPo cells. To much risk of the linear regulator in those cheap BEC's overheating and shutting down, crashing your model. (By the time you get to what's left of your model, that linear regulator has cooled off, and is working again)

IMHO, for the larger models, add to the switching uBEC, you also need a solid LiFe or A123 battery pack for dual power to the receiver. Simply because of the cost of the model.

As for that Spektrum flight monitor, I've also got one. And used it on a giant scale model. After a dozen flights, I didn't think that monitor was working since it showed zero signal loss during flights. Had to test it by turning off the transmitter to get that monitor to show any signal loss. That monitor has been sitting quietly in my drawer of 2.4 Ghz receivers for the past year or two.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 03-19-2014, 11:05 PM   #25
time bandit

Does the Turnigy radio have to be set up on a PC or a laptop? I've seen online that some radio brand that works that way. That is you have to make your setups with your radio connected to a PC.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers