Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-21-2014, 01:58 PM   #1
paxskipper
New Electric Flyer

Club: Cumberland County RC Club
Friends: (0)
Talking New RC Flyer Tidbits – Part 1 - Intro

These items are based on articles I have read, practices I have observed or simply my own experiences. Feel free to pass these on to your friends.
I have been flying radio control planes for a little over two years now, so I still remember some of my important early lessons. I have four planes in my hanger that I can fly: an Apprentice (135+ flights), a Pulse 25XT (150+ flights), Super Kaos (25+ flights), and a newly acquired Renny glider (15+ flights). These are all electric planes. I have an Uproar 40 that I have yet to convert from fuel to electric and an RV 4 kit still in the box. Many years ago I flew control line aerobatics, speed and combat.
I fly in two locations; mostly at home at my local club field in Crossville Tennessee and also at a club field in Fort Myers Florida where I vacation in the winter. I would like to thank the flyers in my local club for their help and encouragement in my radio control flying. They have been very helpful in both my flying and building progress.
This and subsequent posts are some topics organized in what I hope is a logical and useful progression.
Flying For Beginners

Find A Club And An Instructor

The first thing you need to do is find a local club and get in touch with their instructor. Flying is fun; repairing and rebuilding are not necessarily fun. So learn to fly with qualified help. Most clubs are chartered by the Academy of Model Aeronautics: http://www.modelaircraft.org/
You can search for local clubs on their web site: http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx
Here is their “getting started” page.
www.amaflightschool.org/getstarted/how-do-i-get-started-flying-remote-control-rc-model-airplanes

Be A Sponge

As a new flyer you will discover there is much to learn. So when you are at the flying field, watch and listen; you will be surprised how much you will pick up that way. Don’t be afraid of asking questions; most flyers asked the same questions when they started. Do locate an instructor at your local flying field; this one thing is likely to get you flying more comfortably and keep you from learning repair techniques sooner than necessary.
Above all, read everything you can. There are many publications, on-line forums and club sponsored sites that have useful information. My personal approach is to learn from other peoples mistakes. Even older publications have good information; how and why planes fly has not changed much, even though kits and building techniques may have.
Here is a web site with some useful information:
http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/learning-to-fly-rc-airplanes.html

Steve P.
Now flying a Pulse XT25 and a Dirty Birdi

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners

Tags
beginner help