Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Standard & Large E-Heli Talk
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Standard & Large E-Heli Talk Discuss all standard and large sized electric rc helicopters in here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-21-2014, 10:06 PM   #1
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)
Default Stripped the tail rotor drive gears in flight!

Flying on the weekend with my Trex 600Pro DFC and during a fast ascent the front bevel gears driving the torque tube to the tail rotor stripped completely and I lost all tail drive. Probably more by dumb luck than skill I hit throttle kill, which stopped the wild pirouetting, and again probably more by luck I managed to auto-rotate it down for a safe landing. No harm done other than the bevel gears and my underwear

The bevel gears were around ten flights old, they were the new upgraded and supposedly stronger black ones. I've not had any tail rotor strikes in the ten or so flights since fitting the new black gears and there wasn't much slop in the gears. I never had any issues with the old type white ones, I'm thinking of just putting those back

Here's what the gears look like:

Apparently having the governor gain too high may be part of the cause of this. I had the gain on the Castle ESC set to 'medium' which is a value of 25. The advice I've been given is to set it below 15. I've also added some shims to the hears to remove the slight play that was there, which is supposed to help. Hopefully that will avoid the same thing happening again. I'm beginning to understand why many people prefer belt drives!
Old 03-21-2014, 11:03 PM   #2
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

JPF.....yes, seems you've just experienced one of the common reasons many prefer "belt drive" over "direct drive".......lots of torgue in the "rear-end" provides a better amount of response (as you are aware).....but as some cost if not supported by both power management/distribution and very good ($$$) moving parts.......

At least it's not a difficult fix and can be managed.......good job bringing her home in one piece........!

AMA 928214
Old 03-22-2014, 01:49 AM   #3
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

"not much" slop in the gears can be way too much... The general rule is just barely looser than binding.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:43 AM   #4
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
"not much" slop in the gears can be way too much... The general rule is just barely looser than binding.
As standard they are non-adjustable, so they just 'fit where they fit' and by design there is nothing you can do about it.

What i did was grab some 0.1mm (0.004") shim washers that were intended for the transmission on RC cars and shimmed the bevel gears so that they were just on the verge of being tight. I also slotted to mounting holes for the gearbox/tail support case so it could slide forward tightening the mash of the straight cut gear that you see in the photo, just in case that might go the same way.

If the wind cooperated I'll test it today.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:39 AM   #5
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,181 Times in 2,088 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (314)

Good Save JPF they sell some metal gears for the 550 , 600 & 700 heli, I dont know who sells them, you will have to research it.

http://www.rcheliresource.com/produc...pro600efl-pro/

http://helidaily.com/metal-torque-tu...550600e600efl/

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674857

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 03-23-2014, 10:27 AM   #6
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Good find Chellie. I have heard others mention those metal gears. They used to be sold by Infinity Hobby but are no longer stocked. I found the manufacturer in Taiwan, but cant find anyone who sells them.

Hopefully the changes I made will sort the problem, I flew it three times today and it seems ok.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:31 AM   #7
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,181 Times in 2,088 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (314)

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Good find Chellie. I have heard others mention those metal gears. They used to be sold by Infinity Hobby but are no longer stocked. I found the manufacturer in Taiwan, but cant find anyone who sells them.

Hopefully the changes I made will sort the problem, I flew it three times today and it seems ok.
The white nylon gears should be good enough if its not pushed to hard, the metal gears would be good for Hi performance use, Take care and have fun, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 03-23-2014, 12:09 PM   #8
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

There are many flying these helis EXTREMELY hard with the standard gears. I think the gain setting on the ESC governor, along with the slight play in the gears was probably the main cause of the problem I had.

With the governor gain in the caste ESC set at 'Medium', which is a value of 25, I could hear a 'chirping' noise when i did hard full power collective manoeuvres like pitch pumps or fast loops. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but according to those in the know this chirping is caused by the gears lashing back and forth due to having the governor gain too high.

I backed the gain off down to a value of 13 and between that and shimming the gears that chirping is totally gone, so I'm quite confident that I wont have the same problem again... (fingers crossed!)

For what it's worth, here's an almost identical heli to mine, with the nylon gears, showing what it can do:
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Standard & Large E-Heli Talk