Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-19-2014, 04:53 PM   #1
LSP972

Friends: (0)
Default Futaba + Spektrum????

I don't want to seem like an idiot here… but I just read something that has me wondering.

I fly Futaba stuff; mainly a 12Z, with a few models still on an old 9Z upgraded to 2.4 but still have the 72mHz module. I used to fly JR, and know that you canno mix the two on 72mHz. So I assumed the same was true of 2.4gHz.

Then I read just now, in the manual of the E-Flite UMX Radian mini-glider… "When using a Spektrum DSM with a Futaba transmitter, you must reverse the throttle channel and re-bind."

WHAT??? You can fly a Spektrum receiver with a Futaba transmitter on 2.4?

I'm relatively new to 2.4, so sorry if this is common knowledge. And apologies for not searching… but I want to fly this thing today, and if I can set it up on my 12Z, I can not open the DX5E transmitter only I bought for it and get a full refund.

Old 04-19-2014, 04:59 PM   #2
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

It would have to have a DSM module. You can't mix 2.4 'languages'.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:00 PM   #3
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Yes, Spektrum compatible DSM2 / DSMX modules are available for other brands of radio.

For instance: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mpatible_.html
Old 04-19-2014, 05:48 PM   #4
LSP972

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
It would have to have a DSM module. You can't mix 2.4 'languages'.
That's what I thought; sounded too good to be true.

Thanks.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:52 PM   #5
LSP972

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Yes, Spektrum compatible DSM2 / DSMX modules are available for other brands of radio.

For instance: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mpatible_.html
Interesting. But the DX5e transmitter by itself was only 50 bucks... So I think I'll stay with apples/apples and limes/limes.

Thanks, guys, I learned a few things here.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:14 PM   #6
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
Interesting. But the DX5e transmitter by itself was only 50 bucks... So I think I'll stay with apples/apples and limes/limes.
But with a DX5e you don't get the channels, programming features and model memories etc that your higher end transmitters offer. All of those 'fancy features' are available if you use the module option.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:12 PM   #7
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

The whole purose of the module (or Tactic's "Any Link") is to get you using that brand of RX, which makes it more likely that you'll eventually buy that brand of TX.

I like "RX-Ready" better than "Bind N Fly" because it allows the purchaser to use the radio system of their choice without having to figure out what to do with an RX they don't want.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:23 PM   #8
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
I like "RX-Ready" better than "Bind N Fly" because it allows the purchaser to use the radio system of their choice without having to figure out what to do with an RX they don't want.
Cant do that with Ultra-Micros as the OP is talking about, as they have integrated 'brick' type receiver/ESC/servo units that don't come in Futaba flavour.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:21 PM   #9
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

I don't want to seem like an idiot here… but I just read something that has me wondering.

I fly Futaba stuff; mainly a 12Z, with a few models still on an old 9Z upgraded to 2.4 but still have the 72mHz module. I used to fly JR, and know that you canno mix the two on 72mHz. So I assumed the same was true of 2.4gHz.

Then I read just now, in the manual of the E-Flite UMX Radian mini-glider… "When using a Spektrum DSM with a Futaba transmitter, you must reverse the throttle channel and re-bind."

WHAT??? You can fly a Spektrum receiver with a Futaba transmitter on 2.4?

I'm relatively new to 2.4, so sorry if this is common knowledge. And apologies for not searching… but I want to fly this thing today, and if I can set it up on my 12Z, I can not open the DX5E transmitter only I bought for it and get a full refund.

Yeah, as others have indicated in this thread, you can not mix transmitter and receivers between brands. It's like trying to mix English and Spanish. Both are communication types, but they don't mix.

Should you be looking to buy a new radio in the near or far future, here is what people are using. As for my club membership, it's 98% Spektrum radios.

Spektrum has one of the best warranties in the business.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71276

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 04-19-2014, 08:50 PM   #10
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

The whole purose of the module (or Tactic's "Any Link") is to get you using that brand of RX, which makes it more likely that you'll eventually buy that brand of TX.

I'm also of the same mind ... I don't like being told what brand I have to buy ... I like to choose myself.

But it's a brilliant marketing strategy - the BnF concept. Not much use though if you don't want or don't like Spekie gear !!

But of course being a 9x & 9xr user - DSM is now available to be fitted to them ... courtesy of that big Model House in the East ...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 04-19-2014, 10:16 PM   #11
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
But of course being a 9x & 9xr user - DSM is now available to be fitted to them ... courtesy of that big Model House in the East ...

Nigel
If you can find a 9XR that works

And if I recall correctly, it's not a solution for the Horizon Hobby branded Ultra Micros such as the OP is talking about, because the channel assignment is wrong and cant be changed at the RX end due to the 'brick' type Rx.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:22 AM   #12
LSP972

But with a DX5e you don't get the channels, programming features and model memories etc that your higher end transmitters offer. All of those 'fancy features' are available if you use the module option.
Yeah, this DX5e is certainly a bare-bones radio. But no worries, as this little three-channel baby model "doan need no steenkin' fancy features"!

As you pointed out, the module probably would not work with the special micro electronics anyway. They got you coming and going.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:34 AM   #13
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

View Larry3215's Gallery63
Club: Kitsap ARCS & E-FLAPS
Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 
Friends: (21)

Yeah, this DX5e is certainly a bare-bones radio. But no worries, as this little three-channel baby model "doan need no steenkin' fancy features"!

As you pointed out, the module probably would not work with the special micro electronics anyway. They got you coming and going.

If you put a Spektrum module in your Futaba tx, then any Spektrum rx or bind and fly "brick" will work just fine. It makes your Futaba into a Spektrum tx

I think I need a signature.
Larry
Old 04-20-2014, 02:37 AM   #14
LSP972

Horizon is bad about this; very few of their electric models come with out a receiver.

In this case, the thing is so darn tiny a regular receiver (even a park flyer size) would be too large. I can see the electronics package just behind the motor; the whole thing (receiver and ESC) is about two-thirds the size of a postage stamp.

And the servos are itty-bitty... and linear type!. Haven't seen that in I cannot remember when. Noisy, too… they make one heck of a racket. You can almost hear them above the screech of the brushed motor...

I somehow doubt the longevity of this thing.

But you gotta hand it to Horizon. Who else could make a normal, coherent man spend $90 on a toy model airplane that has, at MOST, ten bucks worth of materials in it, and then plunk down another $50 for a transmitter that he will never use for any other purpose, and in fact is of a brand he has no particular use for???

Those guys are genuises.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:49 AM   #15
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Horizon is bad about this; very few of their electric models come with out a receiver.

In this case, the thing is so darn tiny a regular receiver (even a park flyer size) would be too large. I can see the electronics package just behind the motor; the whole thing (receiver and ESC) is about two-thirds the size of a postage stamp.

And the servos are itty-bitty... and linear type!. Haven't seen that in I cannot remember when. Noisy, too… they make one heck of a racket. You can almost hear them above the screech of the brushed motor...

I somehow doubt the longevity of this thing.

But you gotta hand it to Horizon. Who else could make a normal, coherent man spend $90 on a toy model airplane that has, at MOST, ten bucks worth of materials in it, and then plunk down another $50 for a transmitter that he will never use for any other purpose, and in fact is of a brand he has no particular use for???

Those guys are genuises.

Yeah, the smaller they are the more $$$$ involved. I've got the UMX Beast 3D Bipe, a tiny little model. With a tiny little brushless motor. That thing has been flown in 15 MPH winds.

Rugged? I've dropped things on its wings that would have smashed some models. Didn't affect it at all. Luck I guess.

As for me, I've standardized on Spektrum radios when they first came out, so compatibility isn't an issue.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 04-20-2014, 07:35 AM   #16
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

If you can find a 9XR that works

And if I recall correctly, it's not a solution for the Horizon Hobby branded Ultra Micros such as the OP is talking about, because the channel assignment is wrong and cant be changed at the RX end due to the 'brick' type Rx.
Just a reply of the top of my bonce ... the 9xr has totally assignable ch's on the Tx ... so it might not be impossible with 9xr ...

Oi !! enough of that !! There are thousands of 9xr out there happily doing the required thing.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 04-20-2014, 10:06 AM   #17
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
If you put a Spektrum module in your Futaba tx, then any Spektrum rx or bind and fly "brick" will work just fine. It makes your Futaba into a Spektrum tx
Not necessarily as the ultra-micro bricks use JR/Spektrum channel assignment. Futaba (and some others) are different so the channels are all mixed up. This isn't a problem with normal receivers as you just plug the servos into different outputs on the Rx, but on the UM bricks that isn't an option as they are hard wired.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:08 AM   #18
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Just a reply of the top of my bonce ... the 9xr has totally assignable ch's on the Tx ... so it might not be impossible with 9xr ...
Yes, you might well be right with the 9XR... 'If' the basic channels for the main stick outputs are assignable then that would get around the problem.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:01 AM   #19
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Yes, you might well be right with the 9XR... 'If' the basic channels for the main stick outputs are assignable then that would get around the problem.
According to the 'manual' - yes they are. You can have any ch on any button, pot or stick you wish.
The 9x can do it but only if later er9x etc. is flashed to it.

I'm not into crazy set-ups - so have to go by what the book says ..

Nigel

Old 04-20-2014, 04:09 PM   #20
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Not necessarily as the ultra-micro bricks use JR/Spektrum channel assignment. Futaba (and some others) are different so the channels are all mixed up. This isn't a problem with normal receivers as you just plug the servos into different outputs on the Rx, but on the UM bricks that isn't an option as they are hard wired.
JPF... if you check you will find that the modules/adapters to use one brand TX with a different RX have the channel reassignment in the module.

They even made a BUDDY BOX CORD that allowed plugging Futaba to JR and having both operate the model correctly. Simple little circuit that swaps the pulse order.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:56 PM   #21
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

fhhubar,

I think if you check you might find that the adapters such as the 'Anylink' that plug into the buddy box do have channel re-assignment function as you describe, but not all of the DSM2/DSMX modules that simply plug into the module socket in the back of the Tx have it.

Here's a direct quote from one of the user feedback comments on the Orange DSMX module that fits the Futaba Tx:
However, as noted by several people in the discussion board, it does not provide the channel mapping that is provided by the Spektrum module for Futaba radios SPMMSFUT720. This means that if you want to fly the ultra micro bind-n-fly models with brick type receivers you need a transmitter that has channel reassignment capabilities.
I think Turnigy had a modified firmware for some of their Tx's that allowed channel assignment to be changed and as Nigel says, the new 9XR appears to have full channel re-assignment functionality.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:52 PM   #22
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 

Im using a Horizon module in my Futaba and not one of the knock offs - it does the mapping correctly

Larry
Old 04-20-2014, 08:00 PM   #23
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
Im using a Horizon module in my Futaba and not one of the knock offs - it does the mapping correctly
Yep but at $110 it's not a cheap option, plus it's only available in DSM2, not DSMX.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:12 PM   #24
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

I got mine on sale - $40 plus a free rx. They are often discounted, buy one get a free rx or two, etc.

I dont need DSMX - yet

Mostly though I dont believe in supporting thieves, ripoffs, knock offs, clones, etc.

Please dont take this the wrong way - I know Im in the minority on this - but it seems unethical to me.

Larry
Old 04-20-2014, 08:14 PM   #25
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

Oh - and how good a deal is the cheap ripoff version when it often doesnt work at all or at best doesnt work correctly and has no support Im not sure I see the "value" in that kind of savings

Larry

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros