Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-27-2014, 11:33 PM   #1
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,133 Times in 2,042 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (306)
Thumbs up Belive it or Not, Mind over Matter

Wow, is all I can Say, the Power of the Mind and Body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLPahLakP_Q

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 04-28-2014, 01:48 AM   #2
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Wow, is all I can Say, the Power of the Mind and Body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLPahLakP_Q
Good grief.

More B.S.

(We just lost a very close friend to liver cancer. Never drank, never smoked. She was only 41, left two teenage sons, and a husband. Milwaukee WI has one of the best hospitals in the USA for this type of disease.)

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 04-28-2014, 02:23 AM   #3
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Good grief.

More B.S.

(We just lost a very close friend to liver cancer. Never drank, never smoked. She was only 41, left two teenage sons, and a husband. Milwaukee WI has one of the best hospitals in the USA for this type of disease.)
Its No BS , People Have Been Brainwashed to only Believe in Western Medicine, so People Die Needlessly, and thats what is really sad.

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 04-28-2014, 04:57 AM   #4
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

What is sad is people giving money to snake oil salesmen...
Old 04-28-2014, 05:56 AM   #5
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Yes, the only truly amazing thing is many people seem to be gullible enough to believe this utter none-sense without a scrap of evidence other than some flaky video. Sad really, the guy is clearly preying on those who are desperate, checking him out on Google, he obviously makes a good living doing it with his books and stage shows.

Chellie, there is a simple flaw in all this BS that sites 'the ancients'.. If 'the ancients' knew all about this wonderful healing power why was lifespan back then much shorter than it is today and why, if it's so great, isn't it commonly practised today? Are you suggesting a worldwide conspiracy to suppress effective cures that goes back to 'ancient' times?... get real.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:14 AM   #6
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Yes, the only truly amazing thing is many people seem to be gullible enough to believe this utter none-sense without a scrap of evidence other than some flaky video. Sad really, the guy is clearly preying on those who are desperate, checking him out on Google, he obviously makes a good living doing it with his books and stage shows.

Chellie, there is a simple flaw in all this BS that sites 'the ancients'.. If 'the ancients' knew all about this wonderful healing power why was lifespan back then much shorter than it is today and why, if it's so great, isn't it commonly practised today? Are you suggesting a worldwide conspiracy to suppress effective cures that goes back to 'ancient' times?... get real.
A quick check in google shows that the average lifespan of a person 2000 years ago was only around 20 or 25 years. Mostly because of the high death rate of small children. Back then living to the age of 60 or 70 would have been very unusual..

In 1991, I bought my Chev S10 at a small town outside Milwaukee WI. While waiting for a cap to be installed, took a walk to an old old cemetery. In that cemetery was a number of grave stones, all with the same last name. All grave stones were dated in the summer of 1831, where 7 children, from a year old to about 12 years and the mother all died over a period of a half year. Even about 200 years ago, growing up was not always guaranteed.

DennyV
Old 04-28-2014, 10:40 AM   #7
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Different Countries have Medical Care just as good as Western Medicine or Even Better, There are Different types of Medical treatment for the same problems, Myself, I would look at Alternative Medicine, before i took massive Doses of Radiation if I had cancer.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:05 PM   #8
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

Trying to remember which Hollywood Movie Star went of the map ... disappeared to a Health Guru - hands-on faith healer, somewhere down Mexico / Central America way ...

Came back ... not long after died from the supposedly cured illness.

I do believe though that many old ways have been lost ... Don't forget that Aspirin owes its modern day use to old-time use and from a plant. Codeine .. sadly no longer retail .. from the Poppy and was used by Arabs etc. as a balm ...
Many herbal medicines have fallen by the wayside in favour of higher potency pharmaceuticals .. with penalty of more invasive results, destructive tendencies and bodies building up against them etc.

Medical world is forever striving for the next medicine when former loses effectiveness. Witness the search back into old-time medicines for the ones that do not incur anti-actions... the revival so you don't have such damage done when used.
Allergies to synthetics are far more common than with natural .. so I'm told.

Man is not the most clever of animals ... despite what we may think.

We have yet to beat Mother Nature in HER game ..

I do not believe in hands-on or faith healing etc. ... but I do believe there is a lot to learn from the past.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 04-28-2014, 12:58 PM   #9
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Man is not the most clever of animals ... despite what we may think.
I think I'd take that bet.

How would you choose to define 'cleverness'?
Old 04-28-2014, 02:38 PM   #10
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
I think I'd take that bet.

How would you choose to define 'cleverness'?
I look upon Man as not as clever as he thinks .. he fights nature in near all his ventures. Nature has a habit of biting back.

Man destroys his own environment.

Man kills not only for food but for fun.

Man interferes with natural evolution.

Man builds where no right mind would .. at foot of Volcano's, over serious earths crusts faults ...

Man tries to prevent extinction of one species, while wiping out another.

With not too much thought .. the list can carry on ...

Yes we are clever to design and build .. we can put man into space .. but on earth there are many aspects that we still haven't learnt our lesson from.

How many times do you hear the expression "Man doesn't learn from history's mistakes" ? It's true we don't.

A typical example of that is invading another's land ... it's been done though the ages .. and always ends up with same result : The resident population resent the 'invader' no matter how good his intentions. It always leads to opposition and usually bloodshed. Put down the father for terrible deeds in this .. the son picks up his gun.

The animal kingdom - which we ARE a part of has a lot to teach us IF we are willing to really look and not just be a Safari clown ..

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 04-28-2014, 04:16 PM   #11
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Not thinking of all of the consequences of how we work to alter the environment to suit our needs is called : LEARNING.

Irrigation is a wonderful thing. It lets us grow crops in the desert, feeding thousands that otherwise would not have anything to eat.
Something that man has been doing for a very long time.

But these snake oil and "mental energy" people are pure frauds. EVERY one of their cure stories are fakes.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:37 PM   #12
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

When I worked in Saudi .. I was accepted by Saudi Govt to Inspect on behalf of SABIC .. and this also involved GSFMO - Grain Silos and Flour Marketing Organisation.
I often had to supervise shipments of Grain for World Food Program to NE Africa. The grain was from the 1km diameter grain circles created out in the Saudi Desert.

Incredible feat ... BUT the environmental knock-ons were ignored. Change of ecological and environmental factors ... caused changes to weather patterns over the area ... seriously.

Brazil .... and rain forests ... I'm not a Tree Hugger .. don't get me wrong .. but we upset balance ad pay a price for it. De-forestation to enable land to provide food / crops ... but the damage to overall environment for centuries ........

Technological advances in fishing that can wipe out fish stocks in areas without thought to future.

Yes - feed everyone and ignore the long-term consequence.

Sorry .. bit of a band-wagon for me .. I suppose seeing so much damage and crap around the world created in the name of advancement - makes me a bit touchy ..

Nigel

Old 04-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #13
fhhuber
Super Contributor

If Evolution is a good thing... then what is wrong with the creatures which can't adapt dieing off?

Survival of the fittest implies extinction of the unfit. The two go hand in hand.

The Darwinian theory of evolution basicly says: Adapt as your environment changes or die.

Man took a third path of adapting the environment. So we will learn to adapt it properly or... game over. But you can't learn without trying.
I'd call growing food a good idea.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:54 PM   #14
Turner
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

Evolution is not a good thing or a bad thing it is just how things work.

You are what you eat.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:17 PM   #15
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Yes we are clever to design and build .. we can put man into space .. but on earth there are many aspects that we still haven't learnt our lesson from.
I never implied we are perfect or that we know everything, but on any measurement of 'cleverness' I can think of man beats animals hands down. Maybe we sometimes apply our intelligence to do bad things but that's a different discussion.

Anyway, back to the point, this new age pseudo science re-badging of faith healing is simply a fraud. If Chellie or anyone else wants to cast aside hundreds of years of development in medical science and put their faith in some snake oil salesman spouting mumbo jumbo then that's their call, but don't expect me to buy it.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:39 PM   #16
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I hate to think of species dieing out ... but sadly as said - adapt or die off.

Man though tries to interfere .. to do the good thing ...

Tries to save a species in Amazon for example while killing of Gorillas ... whether it's poachers or scientists at end of day makes no odds - it's still life and death.

Nature has been evolving with extinctions and adaptations for millions of years .. man comes along in the last few thousand and thinks it has the knowledge to basically cheat nature ...

I'm not against anything said here ... just my PoV may be a touch different.

As to snake oil and faith healing ... well I'll pass thank-you !

Nigel

Old 04-29-2014, 12:58 AM   #17
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Different Countries have Medical Care just as good as Western Medicine or Even Better, There are Different types of Medical treatment for the same problems, Myself, I would look at Alternative Medicine, before i took massive Doses of Radiation if I had cancer.
I had occasion to use one of those hospitals in the far East after a very serious problem after getting food poisoning in an expensive hotel restaurant. That hospital room had only the bed, and absolutely nothing else in the room. Not even a table.

I'd been just as well off staying in my hotel room. After getting back home in Wisconsin, it took the local doctors several months to completely get rid of the after effects of it.

As for history, I had an appendix go bad on me when I was seven. A routine surgery, and all was OK. One hundred years earlier, that could have been a death sentence.

DennyV
Old 04-29-2014, 09:38 AM   #18
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Just an aside .. ref other countries medical care.

St.Petersburg Russia ... one of the worlds leading experts on Eye surgery was killed a few years ago in an air crash. My wife knew him .. but anyway - his research and perseverance in procedures led to ground-breaking surgery for eyes. In terms of Laser eye surgery alone - the world owes him a lot for expanding that treatment.

A sad story now ... one that I will never forget the guys face when he told me.

I was in New Orleans .. this is about 1977 ... I'm travelling through the city in a Cab .. as we passed the 'Charity' hospital the driver nearly cried and told me a story.
His young son fell out of a tree .. multiple fractures of his leg. First he was rushed to hospital and because father didn't have insurance - was then packed of to the 'Charity' hospital. They amputated the leg instead of fixing it. Later he found out it was down to 'cost' and medical support availability.

I have no reason to disbelieve the story. His face showed the anguish and pain of it.

Close friend of mine travelled to USA to visit his daughter who had married an American. While there - he was involved in getting one of the family to hospital ... turned out to Appendicitis ... but anyway .. he saw the nurse go through pockets for the 'Blue Cross Card' and also demand that her Insurance form be signed before gurney moved from reception ..

I realise that they are unusual and in no way reflect general situation - but makes one think ... I hope that no-one here has experienced similar.

Nigel

Old 04-29-2014, 04:56 PM   #19
Turner
Super Contributor

...I realise that they are unusual and in no way reflect general situation...
I wouldn't be so sure.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:27 PM   #20
tr4252

Trying to remember which Hollywood Movie Star went of the map ... disappeared to a Health Guru - hands-on faith healer, somewhere down Mexico / Central America way ...

Nigel
I think that might have been Steve McQueen, who went to Mexico to be given layatrile (spelling?) which was illegal in the U.S. He died soon after, as I recall.

Tom
Old 04-29-2014, 09:31 PM   #21
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by tr4252 View Post
I think that might have been Steve McQueen, who went to Mexico to be given layatrile (spelling?) which was illegal in the U.S. He died soon after, as I recall.

Tom
Yep ............ that's the guy.

Sad - always liked Steve ...

My Father helped fly the B17 to UK for his movie "Warlover" .. and I actually went on it at Gatwick Airport, after the movie had been made and he was flying her back to Canada ..

Nigel

Old 04-29-2014, 09:37 PM   #22
tr4252

I see a couple of concepts here which are tied, but not so obviously.

1. That we have far more capacity in us to do amazing things, (such as self-healing from life threatening diseases) than we realize.

2. We are too profoundly stupid, egotistical, and materialistic to ever have much chance of utilizing our positive, spiritual potentials.

Tom
Old 04-29-2014, 09:40 PM   #23
tr4252

Yep ............ that's the guy.

Sad - always liked Steve ...

My Father helped fly the B17 to UK for his movie "Warlover" .. and I actually went on it at Gatwick Airport, after the movie had been made and he was flying her back to Canada ..

Nigel
Missed your last post while I was posting my follow up.

Wow, a ride in a B-17. Exceptional.

Tom
Old 04-29-2014, 09:46 PM   #24
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Mind over matter only really works for control of pain... you can't "think away" appendicitis. You can learn to ignore some rather severe pain though and mask the symptoms until its too late and you die from peritonitis after the appendix bursts.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:57 PM   #25
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by tr4252 View Post
Missed your last post while I was posting my follow up.

Wow, a ride in a B-17. Exceptional.

Tom
I was only a very young lad - but I remember how hard it was to get around with the fuel tanks bulging into the fuselage .. the big main beam across the fuselage to climb over ... I just could not imagine anyone flying over enemy territory being shot at in one ...

My father navigating the B17 .. (bubble sextant) :

The B-17 on ground being fuelled for next leg .. :

The picture is distorted by the capture program from the 8mm cine my father took.

But that is the same B17 you see in the movie ...

Nigel

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat