Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Aerial Photography
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Aerial Photography Discuss all aerial photography topics as they relate to rc aircraft

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-28-2014, 08:33 AM   #1
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)
Default V959 Quad camera and control board

Now I have like many others a V959 camera equipped quad .. the control board allows on / off of video function and also single shot pics.

Has anyone taken a board and fitted to another model as an additional function .. I appreciate that the control has not been replicated on another TX such as 9x yet.
Can the part of board in Tx be isolated to be fitted to another Tx such as 9x ?

The other question - is what actual camera is it .. it does not act, look like or function like my other cameras .. MD80, Keychain etc. It has similar CMOS of course ... but it does not have the usual date stamp etc. It also has a swivel head to alter view direction.

??

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 04-28-2014, 09:49 AM   #2
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

In fact ... can the camera used on the V959 be adapted to operate away from the 959 board .. and switched on / off via Rx switch ?

It is a more handy and better operator than the Keycam and the MD80 ... I accept it is not HD ... but its swivel lens and lack of date-stamp alone makes it attractive.

It is also available as a separate sales item on banggood

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 04-29-2014, 06:51 AM   #3
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

I've looked around and asked a couple of "nerds" about this.....seems you may be on your own on this one Nigel.....not many dwell in this arena.....give it a go...be the first on the island to discover!

AMA 928214
Old 04-29-2014, 09:02 PM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

My reasoning on this :

The V959 Tx has button to start vid .. button to take photo.

The camera has a 4 wire .. without it in front if me I think its 4 ...

Looks like it anyway ..

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-WL...6-p-61599.html

So 2 must be power .. other 2 must be vid and photo signal wires for command stop start.

The cam is powered by the model .. 1S lipo .. so a 3.3v supply taken of the balance lead of a flight pack .. via a Rx controlled switch maybe .. that then makes or breaks power .. we then need to initiate the camera...

Surely it cannot be too hard ?

Nigel

Old 04-30-2014, 04:10 PM   #5
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Just found this by digging into Banggood forum :

If one of the two buttons he mentions does not start the video, I can tell you how to make a tiny, easy mod to give you video from regardless of Tx.
The camera will start recording when there is a 250ms short from the yellow wire to ground.
You could use a small micro switch like one of these...

Solder it between the yellow wire and the ground wire(black).
When you press it the camera will start recording and when you press it again, it will stop no matter what transmitter you are using.
You could also swap the yellow and white wires at the connector, and then you could use the still-photo button to start/stop recording.
Although it is a neat feature, the still-photo function is not practical...the quad has to be absolutely still or there is huge tearing and artifacts in the images it takes, so you really wouldn't be losing anything, and you could use your transmitter to start/stop video.
Magic !!

Nigel

Old 05-05-2014, 11:20 AM   #6
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Having the above info ... this is good as a simple Rx controlled switch .. HK and others do them for peanuts .. we should be able to use one of the switches on a 9xr or similar to activate the camera functions.

With any model that is without retracts - the obvious choice is the Gear switch.
For Still vs Vid .. then an interlock of 3 position switch with gear could give that ...

I'm really pleased that a workable solution appears to be found. The 959 camera and mount runs out at $21 a throw ... not too bad ..
There maybe other sources but at present its the only one so far.

I'm fully aware that there are many other possibilities but I am trying to achieve a budget solution, easily sorted for the average Joe who just wants to vid a few on-board jobs ...
There's no need to spend out on Go-Pro !!

Nigel

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Aerial Photography