Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-04-2014, 04:12 AM   #1
Bill Gibson

Friends: (1)
Default Dx6i issues

I was finally setting up my Formosa, and when i programmed the dual aileron servo function using the aileron and aux 1 port, the ailerons were going the wrong the wrong way...and i couldnt reverse them out! What have i missed in the process? Should i just get a Y harness and connect both servos to the aileron port on the 6100E rx?

My other DX6i has a problem...i was linking up a new model to the 10th model memory, and the screen started flashing mode F and the radio does nothing but beep! Havent even had it for a year...my other one is at least 4 years old and still works paerfect...any ideas? Many Thanks! Bill Oh, if i need to send somewhere for repair, who do i actually send it to??
Old 05-04-2014, 04:28 AM   #2
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by Bill Gibson View Post
I was finally setting up my Formosa, and when i programmed the dual aileron servo function using the aileron and aux 1 port, the ailerons were going the wrong the wrong way...and i couldnt reverse them out! What have i missed in the process? Should i just get a Y harness and connect both servos to the aileron port on the 6100E rx?

My other DX6i has a problem...i was linking up a new model to the 10th model memory, and the screen started flashing mode F and the radio does nothing but beep! Havent even had it for a year...my other one is at least 4 years old and still works paerfect...any ideas? Many Thanks! Bill Oh, if i need to send somewhere for repair, who do i actually send it to??

I'm assuming you've tried to access the DX6i servo reversing commands for both the aileron and Aux1 channels?

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 05-04-2014, 04:30 AM   #3
Heli Jim
Grandpa, Golfer, Pilot

Gee that's a stumper.

You should be able to reverse the aileron servo and the aux1 servo both.

As to where you would send it for service, I would send it back to Horizon
Hobby, assuming that's where you got it.

Helicopters don't really fly.......
They're just so ugly, that the earth repels them.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:33 AM   #4
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Dual aileron function:

First aileron goes to the normal port, second goes to ch 6 (Aux / Aux1 depending on how the RX is labeled)

If using the radio's reverse functions for BOTH channels and the closest you can get to the way you want things to work is correct ailerons and reversed flap function then swap which aileron servo is plugged to which channel.

Remember that reversing one channel might or might not affect both. This changes with brand and model of the radio and whether it applies the reverse switch or the mix first. There seems to be no consistency about this even within any given brand.

So... try the AUX (channel 6, Aux1... whatever they labeled it) reverse function as well as the Aileron channel's reverse function.

Note:

The same applies when doing Elevon, except you'd use the elevator channel instead of Channel 6
Its really common for me to see people asking how to fix correct aileron and reversed elevator being the closest they can get to correct operation.
The fix again is to swap what servo is in what channel.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:02 AM   #5
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

There was something backwards about dual ail on the 6i. I forget exactly and I sold mine already. But it's something like the manual is telling you the channels for right and left in reverse.

The flashing and beeping must be your in heli mode and the flight mode switch most be in high or something. Try the flight mode switch. I went through the same panic once.

Good luck! Sorry I can't be more specific, but I think it's the right path.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:01 PM   #6
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
Dual aileron function:

First aileron goes to the normal port, second goes to ch 6 (Aux / Aux1 depending on how the RX is labeled)

If using the radio's reverse functions for BOTH channels and the closest you can get to the way you want things to work is correct ailerons and reversed flap function then swap which aileron servo is plugged to which channel.

Remember that reversing one channel might or might not affect both. This changes with brand and model of the radio and whether it applies the reverse switch or the mix first. There seems to be no consistency about this even within any given brand.

So... try the AUX (channel 6, Aux1... whatever they labeled it) reverse function as well as the Aileron channel's reverse function.

Note:

The same applies when doing Elevon, except you'd use the elevator channel instead of Channel 6
Its really common for me to see people asking how to fix correct aileron and reversed elevator being the closest they can get to correct operation.
The fix again is to swap what servo is in what channel.
+1 -

There is NOTHING wrong with your radio, it does not need to go back.

One at a time, try reversing channels first. If that does not work put them back to normal and reverse the PORTS/Channels they are plugged into in the receiver. Then try the same process.

Eventually you will get them all going in the right direction, ailerons and flaps.

Mike
Old 05-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #7
Bill Gibson

I have tried everything you guys advised to try, and they all make perfect sense to me....should work i would think....unfortunatly, those darn ailerons are still reversed....i think i went thru this very same deal with a plane i scratch built awhile back, and i finally gave up and used a Y harness to get the ailerons to work correctly....there is a good chance that im missing something bigtime, but it seems pointless to set a plane up with independent ail. servos if there isnt a way to reverse them if need be thru the radio/rx.......i cant THANK you guys enough for the GREAT advice....i was sure one of the ideas you guy put out there would surely work!
Old 05-04-2014, 02:42 PM   #8
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Actually... I set up dual aileron servos on a Y... make that work.... then move one servo to the other channel.

If it doesn't work on the Y first, then something is very wrong and I need to fix it before playing with the computer.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:21 PM   #9
Bill Gibson

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
Actually... I set up dual aileron servos on a Y... make that work.... then move one servo to the other channel.

If it doesn't work on the Y first, then something is very wrong and I need to fix it before playing with the computer.
Roger that Fh!.....Thanks!
Old 05-04-2014, 03:37 PM   #10
sparky1963
UK fixed-wing & heli dude

View sparky1963's Gallery2
Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by Bill Gibson View Post
...the screen started flashing mode F and the radio does nothing but beep!...
If that happens, check your switches... Two switches (when in '1' position) will cause beeping & prevent your DX6i from turning on:-
First, the "Gear/F mode" switch (top-left) - this will show 'F Mode' on screen, as you described.
Second, the "Mix/Th Hold" switch (top right) - this flashes 'T - hold' on screen.

Make sure they are both in '0' position, before you switch on.
If you forget, and the Tx starts beeping, just flick the switches off & Tx will turn on as normal.

Current hangar: Cessna 182, Cessna Skymaster, PZ Spitfire MkIX. ASW-17, Kalt Whisper.
Micro: Blade mSR, Blade mCPx, Sukhoi 26XP, T-28 Trojan, Beast, Stryker, Carbon Cub, Spitfire, Mustang.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:36 PM   #11
Bill Gibson

Originally Posted by sparky1963 View Post
If that happens, check your switches... Two switches (when in '1' position) will cause beeping & prevent your DX6i from turning on:-
First, the "Gear/F mode" switch (top-left) - this will show 'F Mode' on screen, as you described.
Second, the "Mix/Th Hold" switch (top right) - this flashes 'T - hold' on screen.

Make sure they are both in '0' position, before you switch on.
If you forget, and the Tx starts beeping, just flick the switches off & Tx will turn on as normal.
I DONT BELIEVE IT......I SIMPLY DONT BELIEVE IT!!!!......EVERY TIME i begin to think i have a basic understanding of these computer radios......i was sure i had tried every switch, even had the radio back in its box to send to Horizon.....i really should be the posterchild for FLAMING IDIOT when it comes to these transmitters!!! It was just so odd, as my other DX6i is well over 4 years old, and ive NEVER had a SINGLE problem with it! Sparky, THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH! I have been BAILED OUT so many times thanks to the folks like yourself on this AWESOME forum, that ive lost count!!
Old 05-04-2014, 08:36 PM   #12
sparky1963
UK fixed-wing & heli dude

View sparky1963's Gallery2
Friends: (0)

Don't beat yourself up - the same thing happened to me (and apparently, xmech2k).

First time it happened, I'd forgotten to bring the Tx in from the garden. I eventually found it out there, soaking wet, after 2 nights of heavy rainfall.
It took 3 days and a complete stripdown, to get it dried out and (amazingly) working again.
When the beeping happened, I wondered what the heck was going on - assuming it was symptoms of terminal water damage !

Very glad to find it was cured by flicking the switches to their default positions.

Current hangar: Cessna 182, Cessna Skymaster, PZ Spitfire MkIX. ASW-17, Kalt Whisper.
Micro: Blade mSR, Blade mCPx, Sukhoi 26XP, T-28 Trojan, Beast, Stryker, Carbon Cub, Spitfire, Mustang.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros