Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-04-2014, 09:25 AM   #1
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)
Default Another reason I hate Microsoft !

Company computer has Windows 8 ... MS Office 2013.

It has all the transit records of the work ... we have ships and barges all working and I need to have this running all time to keep all inventoried.

Win 8 updates .. all seems fine. Yesterday I shut if off - I do that every few days to just give it a rest and also clear the crap that PC's tend to accumulate when left on.
Started it up few hours later ........ NO YOU HAVE TO BE ******* KIDDING !!

Bloody update destroyed all links to start Office Excel / Word etc. It also corrupted the exe Office files.

So for last 12hrs - it's been chuntering away on mobile broadband trying to do online repair ... with no end in sight.

Luckily I tend to keep back-ups .. I also can actually access the files .. just cannot start the spreadsheets .. so copied all across to my little Acer 0ne ... working fine there ... but the PoS Win 8 machine ?

Having been with Computers since the old days of Commodore's and BBC's etc. - I can honestly say that each version of Windows that comes out is crappier than version it's replacing ... what other software has so many updates and criticals ?

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 05-04-2014, 09:53 AM   #2
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Friends: (4)

I've had no issues with windows 8, or 8.1 or 7. Also, look into ssd drives. You'll find that crap doesn't accumulate, at least it doesn't for me. I am using a 6 year old Samsung q430...beats all of these new ultra books and any MacBook I've tried. It was always great, but with ssd, even better, boots in 5 seconds, instant opening of programs, never corrupts anything. Only thing I don't like about windows 8 is how it is made for touch screen. Still functional tho.

Windows does have many updates, largely security risk stuff. Mac doesn't because viruses haven't been going for them yet (it's not because they can't be made for them)
Old 05-04-2014, 10:27 AM   #3
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by thepiper92 View Post
I've had no issues with windows 8, or 8.1 or 7. Also, look into ssd drives. You'll find that crap doesn't accumulate, at least it doesn't for me. I am using a 6 year old Samsung q430...beats all of these new ultra books and any MacBook I've tried. It was always great, but with ssd, even better, boots in 5 seconds, instant opening of programs, never corrupts anything. Only thing I don't like about windows 8 is how it is made for touch screen. Still functional tho.

Windows does have many updates, largely security risk stuff. Mac doesn't because viruses haven't been going for them yet (it's not because they can't be made for them)
Its actually a false wives tale about Macs and Linux not having Virus .. they do.
Even Android has.

It's just less interesting for the authors to create for them.

The Pc affected is a company supplied Tosh notebook .. so it's not subject what I want.

I've got to like Win XP and 7 .. but 8 is crap .. particularly its video player. I much prefer VLC .. and I hate that Win 8 resists as far as possible any other app. It's great if all you want to do is interact with media .. but naff all use to serious work.
It's start screen is a joke .. it's way of getting to power off is laughable ... everything that was useful and accessible before is now hidden behind stupid keystrokes.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 05-04-2014, 03:28 PM   #4
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

The one thing that irks me most about MS is Internet Explorer. It sucks. I've switched to Chrome. Much better.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:49 PM   #5
sidybee

Friends: (0)

yup win blows is garbage ..LINUX is the way to go. and ya there r things that can get linux machines but you have to let them in. they cant just get in with out your say so.
micro crap is just that crap. but its the only thing most people know.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:15 PM   #6
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Its actually a false wives tale about Macs and Linux not having Virus .. they do.
Even Android has.

The Pc affected is a company supplied Tosh notebook .. so it's not subject what I want.

I've got to like Win XP and 7 .. but 8 is crap .. particularly its video player. I much prefer VLC .. and I hate that Win 8 resists as far as possible any other app. It's great if all you want to do is interact with media .. but naff all use to serious work.
It's start screen is a joke .. it's way of getting to power off is laughable ... everything that was useful and accessible before is now hidden behind stupid keystrokes.

Nigel
Agreed.
Case in point that danged bing crap windows installed on my PC during auto updates. It takes over your search and is near impossible to remove.

I assume you have clicked on the win desktop icon? That is all I use.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 05-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #7
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

I've learned to wait a day before letting it install updates. I figure if there are any issues with the updates, some other poor victim reported it and they've fixed it by then.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:28 PM   #8
Wrongway-Feldman

Friends: (5)

I personally haven't used windows for anything other than gaming since XP.
I use Linux for everything else and will run applications that require windows either through wine or an emulator.
The idea that windows is less secure than Linux or Mac is a myth however.
In all practical terms windows is actually much more secure. The problem is that most PC's run windows. So if you want the biggest return on your vulnerability exploits you aim for the biggest piece of the pie.
To put it simply, imagine two cars parked side by side in a parking lot. One car has simple locked doors and nothing of value visible through the windows.
The other has a myriad of security systems but a million dollars on the front seat.
The car with the money will continually get broken in to or have someone trying to figure out how.
The car without the money will statistically be more secure while in reality it is just less of a target. The car with the money is Windows.

----------------------------------------------------------
Dumas Ecroupe, MM EVA, E-flite L4 Grasshopper, Sig Kougar, Sig Kobra, Top Fight Contender, top flite mini contender, Carl Goldberg Skylark mark II, M&H Sportster 40.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:46 PM   #9
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Even Android has.

Nigel
So you can't get vlc installed or can't get it to be the default player? All I used is vlc. Yes, the power is in an odd place. Internet Explorer...yah just go to Chrome.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:48 PM   #10
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Agreed.
Case in point that danged bing crap windows installed on my PC during auto updates. It takes over your search and is near impossible to remove.

I assume you have clicked on the win desktop icon? That is all I use.
Bing stuff trying to install was under optional updates, so I unchecked it.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:57 PM   #11
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Honestly what I like about 8 is the background antivirus, which actually seems to works, so bitdefender, kasperskys, etc, isn't needed. There was windows defender before, but it had improved. It takes awhile to get used to 8, and some programs like IE are garbage, but it is a quick os. I can use Linux too, have installed it many times, but the one issue is that i like some games, and Linux cannot install a good chunk of them. Some do install through wine, but not too many. As for Mac...I don't see the point...1500 or more for a comp that doesn't have dedicated graphics (other than the highest end one), is slower than my 6 year old comp, and is running a completely restricted Linux.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:45 PM   #12
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

So you can't get vlc installed or can't get it to be the default player? All I used is vlc. Yes, the power is in an odd place. Internet Explorer...yah just go to Chrome.
I have vlc on it and use it .. I default to vlc .. then days later it's back to crappy MS's rubbish... actually it's not even MS .. its a 'buy-in' ...

IE - I use as at least it's easy to disable IE's spying .. but Chrome has the biggest complaints board for User spying of them all .. I will not add my browsing to Googles information collection ... It's bad enough Googlle Private is most public airing of crap ever .. without adding to it.

I loved Netscape ... till that got knobbled.

The OS and Work programs are Win 8 and Office 2013 - that's it.

My little netbook with Win 7 and office 2007 is so nice after this pos ...

Nigel

Old 05-04-2014, 08:24 PM   #13
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

I have vlc on it and use it .. I default to vlc .. then days later it's back to crappy MS's rubbish... actually it's not even MS .. its a 'buy-in' ...

IE - I use as at least it's easy to disable IE's spying .. but Chrome has the biggest complaints board for User spying of them all .. I will not add my browsing to Googles information collection ... It's bad enough Googlle Private is most public airing of crap ever .. without adding to it.

I loved Netscape ... till that got knobbled.

The OS and Work programs are Win 8 and Office 2013 - that's it.

My little netbook with Win 7 and office 2007 is so nice after this pos ...

Nigel

Hmm that is peculiar why that would happen. You can also go to a section, can't recall what the name of it is, but you can disable native programs completely.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:29 PM   #14
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,181 Times in 2,088 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (314)

Hi Nigel You Can go back on your computer and restore it to a day or 2 before you had the problems. Hope that helps, Chellie

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/zxue/archive...ore-point.aspx

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 05-04-2014, 10:34 PM   #15
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

I got away from Windows, its to much of a PITA, I am now using Ubuntu. Ubuntu is not perfect, but its a lot better than the PITA Windows IMHO

http://www.ubuntu.com/

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 05-05-2014, 12:07 AM   #16
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Bing stuff trying to install was under optional updates, so I unchecked it.
Yeah
So did I after getting burned with bing.

For those that haven't been burned yet by that Microsoft bing "Virus" and its associated conduit program just google
"How do I remove bing from my computer?"

The big problem with bing, it is not visable in the program listing for deleting. It's buried in the computer register files, and needs someone much more knowledgeable than I in computers to remove. (I paid $38 to get rid of it)

DennyV
Old 05-05-2014, 12:50 AM   #17
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Yeah
So did I after getting burned with bing.

For those that haven't been burned yet by that Microsoft bing "Virus" and its associated conduit program just google
"How do I remove bing from my computer?"

The big problem with bing, it is not visable in the program listing for deleting. It's buried in the computer register files, and needs someone much more knowledgeable than I in computers to remove. (I paid $38 to get rid of it)
Yikes, too bad I wasn't closer, could have done it for free.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:54 AM   #18
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
I got away from Windows, its to much of a PITA, I am now using Ubuntu. Ubuntu is not perfect, but its a lot better than the PITA Windows IMHO

http://www.ubuntu.com/
I've used all types of linux, Ubuntu, OpenSuse, and so on, even the slower, but flashier KDE styles. Like many operating systems, they add stuff that slows it down, like the cloud bar thing, or whatever it is.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:07 AM   #19
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

I've used all types of linux, Ubuntu, OpenSuse, and so on, even the slower, but flashier KDE styles. Like many operating systems, they add stuff that slows it down, like the cloud bar thing, or whatever it is.
Ubuntu has programs that you can down load to speed things up, I had to install a program to stop other things from loading and now my comp is twice as fast

Old 05-05-2014, 01:56 AM   #20
DHC Beaver

Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (1)

I have windows 8 on my new computer,as it came pre-installed with it.I made the mistake of allowing it to upgrade to 8.1.
That caused me untold headaches.The only way out was to reset to "as delivered" basic 8 spec.Of course,that meant having to reinstall all my own programs.But at least,I have a nice stable computer now.
I now religiouly check every update,before letting it install.I can delete all the rubbish,and just upgrade the security .
I have used Firefox for years.IE is too big and clumsy for me.I definitely wouldn't use Outlook Express,that's a prime target for hackers.
I no longer need a pop3 email program anyway,as my cheap(ish) broadband provider doesn't give me an email adress as such.Gmail all the way.I used Thunderbird before that.
When I start getting too much crap ,I simply start a new gmail adress.
But for some reason,my laptop with windows 7 works much better at fiddling with my 9x transmitter.W8 doesn't always recognize the connection..I now have a Taranis,and it has the same trouble with 8.
Wasn't life so much easier without computers?Oh wait,no,then we wouldn't have Wattflyer!
Old 05-05-2014, 02:19 AM   #21
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Yikes, too bad I wasn't closer, could have done it for free.
Now you tell me!

The guy that cleaned up my PC had me install a remote control program so he could operate my PC remotely. It took this guy 90 minutes to clean out bing. I could see what he was doing on my PC monitor, he was way way over my head.

He told me to uninstall that remote control program after signing off, which I did.

If you've googled that bing thing, there are thousands of complaints from people that could not get rid of it.

DennyV
Old 05-05-2014, 03:09 AM   #22
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Ubuntu has programs that you can down load to speed things up, I had to install a program to stop other things from loading and now my comp is twice as fast
Oh it can be removed, but I just hate that every Linux adds unnecessary stuff. Just like that store app in windows...why would I want to buy stuff.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:53 AM   #23
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Hi Nigel You Can go back on your computer and restore it to a day or 2 before you had the problems. Hope that helps, Chellie

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/zxue/archive...ore-point.aspx
I know .. but the restore failed ... I tried several different as well .. every restore point before the last update failed.

I've now after 36hrs got a working machine again ... Restore point made ..

MS - you need something shoved up where the sun don't shine !

Nigel

Old 05-06-2014, 01:34 AM   #24
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

I know .. but the restore failed ... I tried several different as well .. every restore point before the last update failed.

I've now after 36hrs got a working machine again ... Restore point made ..

MS - you need something shoved up where the sun don't shine !

Nigel
Naw, MS is deaf.

Don't think so? Just google "How do I remove Bing from my Computer". With the countless complaints on this, there is ZERO response from Microsoft. That Bing program got into my PC with one of MS automatic updates. You can't remove it, the Bing program and its associated conduit program are not listed in the programs for un-install on your computer.

I also tried that system restore. Didn't work. Because I've got the funny feeling that MS made certain that their Bing Virus bypassed the system restore stuff.

DennyV
Old 05-06-2014, 01:47 AM   #25
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Upgraded Spybot to the virus checking version. Cheap and good but don't have AVG running at the same time. It gets confused. It already picked up what was called a serious threat Hobby King of all places.. Yikes. Cleaned it.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat