Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-05-2014, 06:18 AM   #1
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,190 Times in 2,096 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (317)
Default Not Real Happy With Pepboys Auto Service

The Pepboys out here in Hesperia used to be Pertty Good, But Lately, Its Seems they are going Down Hill, I took my 2008 Toyota Sienna Van in for a Front Brake Job about 6 months ago, and they Lost my key and remote control for my van, I contacted Toyota and it would cost about $350.00 for a new key, controller and to have the controller programmed, I told The Pepboys Manager to get in contact with Toyota and buy me a new Key and controller, and have it programmed, they stalled me for a few days, and then they finally found my key and controller
Then, yesterday, I took my toyota van in to have the rear brakes replaced, I got up Early, took the van in Early so they would have time to get it Done, AND, I Just had a GUT feeling that they were going to Fumble the Football as they Say, I made sure to give them my Home Phone number and a Cell Phone Number to get a hold of me if they found any additional problems, They said they called me and left a message that I need rotors too, I DONT have a Message Answering Service or Machine, I was home all Day and No Phone call from them, no Call on my Cell phone either, so its about 7:00 PM and I call them to see if my van is done, NOPE, It was up on the service rack with the wheels off of it, I told them to put the wheels back on the van, and I told them I was going to take it some where else, I will never again Have my auto serviced there again, Twice in a Row they Fumbled the Football, Very Very Unprofessional.
So, I buy the Rotors and Brake Pads and do the Brake Job Myself Today I saved myself about $125.00 doing it myself. The Brake job came out great and on Time
They also wanted $89.00 to clean the Throttle Body with a spray cleaner, yea right, I bought a can of Throttle body spray cleaner for $5.00 and I will do it myself also, I will just Buy Parts there for now on, they lost my repair business. Its hard to find Good Auto Repair Service Now Days. Take care, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 05-05-2014, 05:31 PM   #2
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

The only thing I've ever let Pep Boys do is mount tires....after purchase of such there and a smog cert.

The two here, down in the valley, all have a bunch of kids busting nuts. The shop "managers" all seem to be "saleman" rather than mech's (just interested in adding more to ones purchase or fix).....I've heard at least 20 negitive stories related to work done by them......if "misery loves company"....Chellie, I guess you have a crowd to mingle with...once bitten, their bad....twice bitten, my bad.

AMA 928214
Old 05-05-2014, 05:55 PM   #3
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Club: Arizona Model Aviators
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (27)

Whatever you do, don't take your car to any of the "chain" stores for service. If you are not comfortable wrenching on your own car, you should find a reliable local mechanic (maybe one that specializes in certain brands, or a "foreign only" or "domestic only" shop) and let them do all the work. Most shops can do just about anything you'd need done.

I currently have a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan and a 2003 Honda Civic. The Grand Caravan has only had to have warranty and recall work done on it so far, knock on wood (I do brakes and oil changes myself). For the Civic, I do just about everything. Back in January I had to change the head gasket on the Civic. All told I spent about $400 in parts, getting the head machined, and tools (some tools I didn't have), so I saved about $600 doing it myself, and the car runs great. Plus I know the work was done right.

Pat Gagnon
Old 05-05-2014, 06:20 PM   #4
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

Tires are about the only thing i will get done to my car. sometimes i just bring in the rims and tell them the tire sizes i want. its easier then arguing with them.

i used to always take my cars into a particular master muffler. i needed a cat back for a junker i bought for $500. I brought it in and they quoted me $680. I hit autozone on the way home and ordered all the exhaust bits for $80 and had it done in my driveway in about an hour. maybe $100 all in.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 05-05-2014, 06:24 PM   #5
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

I used to buy a lot of parts from AutoZone, but not any more. Most of what they sell is low quality stuff, unless you can get an actual OEM part (which is rare). Fortunately, we have a place here call BAP Import Auto Parts, and they carry a lot of OEM stuff for imports, and some domestic too.

If I can't get what I need from them, I will buy parts online from OEM suppliers.

Pat Gagnon
Old 05-05-2014, 06:51 PM   #6
Turner
Super Contributor

If you need brakes go to a speciality brake shop. It's all they do and they know how to get it done on time.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:53 PM   #7
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Whatever you do, don't take your car to any of the "chain" stores for service. If you are not comfortable wrenching on your own car, you should find a reliable local mechanic (maybe one that specializes in certain brands, or a "foreign only" or "domestic only" shop) and let them do all the work. Most shops can do just about anything you'd need done.

I currently have a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan and a 2003 Honda Civic. The Grand Caravan has only had to have warranty and recall work done on it so far, knock on wood (I do brakes and oil changes myself). For the Civic, I do just about everything. Back in January I had to change the head gasket on the Civic. All told I spent about $400 in parts, getting the head machined, and tools (some tools I didn't have), so I saved about $600 doing it myself, and the car runs great. Plus I know the work was done right.
I hear ya crxmanpat.......

Bustin nuts is one of my other favorite hobbies......as long as I have the time and space.......just this weekend did a complete brake job (replaced all 4 /pads/rotors to drilled and slotted), replaced plugs, 60,000mi service (a real pain in the ass), oil/filter change and replaced my old cold are intake filter.......on the 2008 Subaru WRX.....dealer and local import shop wanted $399.00 just to replace the plugs (the book labor at $130.00hr was 2.5hrs) now I know why...need special socket sizes, which I spent $4.00 on and alot of patience...........the NGK ridium plugs cost me $33.00/4......I spent the good part of the weekend and $130 bucks on parts. (already had the rotors, just to lazy to install).......all of which would have cost me at least $600.00 at the dealer.......

Of course the wife noticed all of this.......so today, as I type, I'm replacing her 2003 GMC Envoy, rear brake pads (replaced the front last month) and oil/filter......general maintenace stuff......down to the one rear set of pads now.....just took a break...damn I'm getting old.....

AMA 928214
Old 05-05-2014, 11:04 PM   #8
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

I used to buy a lot of parts from AutoZone, but not any more. Most of what they sell is low quality stuff, unless you can get an actual OEM part (which is rare). Fortunately, we have a place here call BAP Import Auto Parts, and they carry a lot of OEM stuff for imports, and some domestic too.

If I can't get what I need from them, I will buy parts online from OEM suppliers.
i haven't noticed any problems, except for brake rotors. all chinese crap steel now a days.

part of the reason i like fords, the parts were identicle forever. almost every "remanufactured" part I've bough had the blue oval stamp on it.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 05-05-2014, 11:26 PM   #9
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
I hear ya crxmanpat.......

Bustin nuts is one of my other favorite hobbies......as long as I have the time and space.......just this weekend did a complete brake job (replaced all 4 /pads/rotors to drilled and slotted), replaced plugs, 60,000mi service (a real pain in the ass), oil/filter change and replaced my old cold are intake filter.......on the 2008 Subaru WRX.....dealer and local import shop wanted $399.00 just to replace the plugs (the book labor at $130.00hr was 2.5hrs) now I know why...need special socket sizes, which I spent $4.00 on and alot of patience...........the NGK ridium plugs cost me $33.00/4......I spent the good part of the weekend and $130 bucks on parts. (already had the rotors, just to lazy to install).......all of which would have cost me at least $600.00 at the dealer.......

Of course the wife noticed all of this.......so today, as I type, I'm replacing her 2003 GMC Envoy, rear brake pads (replaced the front last month) and oil/filter......general maintenace stuff......down to the one rear set of pads now.....just took a break...damn I'm getting old.....
I keep telling myself that I am To Old for this Sheet I am A Retired Female Engineer / Fleet Tech. of some 37 Years and I can Turn Wrenches with the best of them I told you I was a Tomboy Big Time Being retired I try to give myself a break from vehicle repair, I hate to work on my own Vehicles LOL, But if I cant find good reliable techs out there at a Reasonable price, I will just have to do it myself, on my 2006 Honda Accord, Honda wanted $250.00 to replace a top motor / trans mount, I bought the motor / trans mount on line for $35.00 and replaced it in about 30 mins, I saved myself a good chunk of Change, one of these days, I would like to build myself a 1929 Ford truck Roadster

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0607cct_01_z+1929_ford_model_a_pickup+.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	175566  

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 05-05-2014, 11:56 PM   #10
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Yea, Auto Zone sells low quality stuff, I will buy parts from Pep Boys because they do sell the Better Quality Brands like Bosh, Borg Warner, Auto Lite, ect. I also like the parts that NAPA sells, except for their electric fuel Pumps, which are Junk IMHO, I had 2 go out in a row, shortly after installing them, Take care, Chellie

Old 05-06-2014, 12:06 AM   #11
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
i haven't noticed any problems, except for brake rotors. all chinese crap steel now a days.

part of the reason i like fords, the parts were identicle forever. almost every "remanufactured" part I've bough had the blue oval stamp on it.
I Like Fords too I bought a 1973 ford ranchero back in 73 with 23000 miles on it, and its still in the family, it has the original engine with over 250,000 miles on it, still runs great, the trans has been rebuilt a few times, my father has the ranchero right now, and wont give it up Bless his heart, I still have my Father around, he is about 87 years young and gets around very well, he still chases my mom around the Kitchen LOL

Old 05-06-2014, 12:59 AM   #12
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Turner View Post
If you need brakes go to a speciality brake shop. It's all they do and they know how to get it done on time.
You have to be very careful with places like this. For example, Just Brakes. I know for a fact that it was a standard business practice that they would get your car up on the lift, take everything apart, tell you that you needed basically a complete brake overhaul (new calipers, new rotors, new hardware, new master cylinder), then when you said you can't afford a $900 brake job and only want a pad slap, they refuse to warranty the work and you get a crap job.

I know it used to be like this, but for them in particular it may have changed. I still say any reputable local mechanic can do brakes.

Pat Gagnon
Old 05-06-2014, 01:01 AM   #13
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Well, I wrapped up everything on the GMC a couple of hours ago......the previous mechanic (my son) who last replaced the pads and rotors, decided to use lock-tite on the caliper bolts...a ton of it....making the removal loads of fun....took me longer to remove the crap off the bolts (mineral spirits) than it did replacing the pads.....
I have replaced at least 50 sets of disk brake pads, on various vehicles, that last 4 or 5 years....not once did I find lock-tite on any of them....to include my WRX and a buddies 2004 Corvette!...can't wait to see the boy in couple of weeks. Dinner and brewskies will be on him...

As rotors go, I have not chanced anything not manufactured, milled and drilled in the U.S.A on any of my vehicles....not even the Japanese OEM for the Subie...although I do have 3 piston calipers made at the Japan Subie factory....same as the stock STI (not the Brimbo version).....considering the performance level the WRX is at now (stage 2 drive train and intake/exhaust....stage 3 suspension/brakes)......I went with these for the rotors...and glad I did:

http://www.sp-performance.com/drilled_slotted.htm

They also make standard Zinc plated rotors that work on the GMC...which my son put on last go around.....they do make a difference with heat transfer and pad consumption!

At least I won't be under the wheels or hood on my vehicles for awhile....thank goodness, my old bones will take a few days to recover from this last adventure.....

AMA 928214
Old 05-06-2014, 01:16 AM   #14
Turner
Super Contributor

You have to be very careful with places like this. For example, Just Brakes. I know for a fact that it was a standard business practice that they would get your car up on the lift, take everything apart, tell you that you needed basically a complete brake overhaul (new calipers, new rotors, new hardware, new master cylinder), then when you said you can't afford a $900 brake job and only want a pad slap, they refuse to warranty the work and you get a crap job.

I know it used to be like this, but for them in particular it may have changed. I still say any reputable local mechanic can do brakes.
I suppose there are crooks everywhere no matter what type of shop you are talking about. I used to work at brake specialty shop of three people. We didn't do dishonest work.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:32 AM   #15
propnut48

Club: Never joined one as of yet
Send a message via Skype™ to propnut48
Friends: (2)

I have not been to a Pepboys since they did such a bad job aligning my front end that it wore the tires out in 250Mi. I was in the auto repair industry for 35yrs and stopped doing my own repairs , IE: brakes and such when the gov. passed a law stating that if someone that isn't trained and/or licensed to do repairs does and sells the vehicle and that repair fails and hurts and/or kills someone the repairer is liable. I got out of doing auto body when they were talking about the workers having to get malpractice ins. and were liable for the repair as well as the shop. As the guys on Shark tank say, "Im out!".
Old 05-06-2014, 01:48 AM   #16
carpetbagger

Friends: (1)

Back in Northern Virginia service shops were fsirly good, except for Pep Boys. Since dropping anchor in North Carolina service has been nightmare of real stupid, ignorant "mechanics". Even my local Mopar dealer shop is infested with morons. I found a good place, a tire shop with actual mechanics. Well, they're not great, but way better than most.

And I have done a few jobs meself - like "tune up" on my Dodge truck, quote $135. Lemme see, electronic fuel injection, and cam trigger ignition on which the timing is controlled by computer to match fuel quality, ambient weather, and load demand, so what is left? New plugs. Bought an 8 pack of Bosch plugs for pocket change and swapped them out in less than 45 minutes. I take a lot of coffee breaks :-)
Old 05-06-2014, 01:48 AM   #17
zoltron55

Club: mon valley rc club

nobody has touched my rides since 1977. I turned a wrench for a living for 25+ years, I have seen my share of greed & incompetence. your best luck is a small independent shop. also my favorite parts store is rockauto.com .name brand stuff more than fair shipping & prices. alldata diy is my favorite manual.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #18
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
I Like Fords too I bought a 1973 ford ranchero back in 73 with 23000 miles on it, and its still in the family, it has the original engine with over 250,000 miles on it, still runs great, the trans has been rebuilt a few times, my father has the ranchero right now, and wont give it up Bless his heart, I still have my Father around, he is about 87 years young and gets around very well, he still chases my mom around the Kitchen LOL
Fords just go forever. I've got 192k on my 86 cougar and about 250k on my 87 bird. the tbird would still be on the road if i didn't treat it so bad and keep busting motor mounts. took out the power steering rack, a/c lines, battery tray, and put a couple holes in the oil pan. I've got some better motor mounts on order.

I've been buying the exact same parts from autozone for the last 10 years. so far the only bad part I've gotten was a fuel pump. returned 15 minutes later and an extra $10 got me a bosche pump with 3x the flow of stock, which will come in handy when i start throwing all the mustang engine parts on it.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:11 PM   #19
propnut48

Club: Never joined one as of yet
Send a message via Skype™ to propnut48

Yea , I own and alternator and starter shop where I build my own custom alts and reman alts for some of the school districts, fire, police and ambulances. There are guys that I wouldn't even let pour me a glass of water, and these guys are maintaining our kids buses. We only sell High amp alts. and I have to deal with some of the least mechanically inclined people the have ever been under a hood. No one knows how to work on a vehicle with out a computer these days. But its not just auto repair its everything from restaurants to retail stores. We have become a nation of DEE DEE DEE's.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:12 PM   #20
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

The older fords are great, I love them the newer fords, they are ok, I went after Quality this time when i Bought some new cars, I bought a Honda Accord with a v6 and a Toyota sienna, both have served me well, the hondas trans failed under Warranty, they replaced it, and no problems since then,

Old 05-06-2014, 10:29 PM   #21
carpetbagger

Friends: (1)

I am Mopar guy. Not real fomnd of Fords but Ford has built a few good cars and maybe trucks after they got rid of that crappy twin I beam front suspension. Chevys - nah, Wife conned me into buying her an Olds Cutlass once - pile of junk, sold that one with less than 40K miles on it. And my mid-life crisis car was a Z-28 Camaro which remains #1 on my list of really crappy cars. My black w/pinstripes deco Z-28 was purty for sure, but serious junk.

Back to Mopar I went, and now 4WD Dodge trucks since I need to tow stuff and often take it out on the beach - surf fishing rocks!
Old 05-06-2014, 10:41 PM   #22
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

I also own a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan. Nice vehicle, it can hold two giant scale models, plus a 65 inch wingspan model, my generator, chairs, canopy, and still have extra room.

And, when its not an airplane truck, we keep my wifes electric scooter in it.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 05-06-2014, 11:14 PM   #23
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

We use mine to pull the Jayco pop-up camper, and what doesn't fit in it goes in the back of the van. The fold flat seats are the best!

Pat Gagnon
Old 05-06-2014, 11:17 PM   #24
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

We use mine to pull the Jayco pop-up camper, and what doesn't fit in it goes in the back of the van. The fold flat seats are the best!
Yeah those fold flat seats are great. Not tried it, but have heard you can lay a full 4X8 sheet of plywood flat down in that Grand Caravan. (For that I've got that old Chev S10 truck)

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 05-06-2014, 11:23 PM   #25
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by propnut48 View Post
Yea , I own and alternator and starter shop where I build my own custom alts and reman alts for some of the school districts, fire, police and ambulances. There are guys that I wouldn't even let pour me a glass of water, and these guys are maintaining our kids buses. We only sell High amp alts. and I have to deal with some of the least mechanically inclined people the have ever been under a hood. No one knows how to work on a vehicle with out a computer these days. But its not just auto repair its everything from restaurants to retail stores. We have become a nation of DEE DEE DEE's.
one of my first jobs was working at a Auto and Truck electric shop, I learned a lot there, I also rebuilt auto and truck Alt, Starters, Generators, Series Parallel switches, installed new roof top kaiser a/c units on truck cabs, rewired trucks and trailers, yes I learned a LOT There and it stuck with me for the rest of my job career and I had no problem keeping up with the Big Boys

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat