Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-19-2014, 04:53 PM   #1
garyp1029

Friends: (0)
Default Spektrum AR610 vs AR6210 Receivers

Both are 6 channel "full range", but the 6210 has "two receivers, internal and remote" for an extra $20. My question: Isn't the 6210 a case of a solution searching for a problem? Using it means separating the "internal" receiver from its "remote" companion, thereby increasing the number of electronics--more things, more wires, more double-stick tape, etc. In short, why should one pay the extra money for the redundancy? How much of an advantage is the 6210 over the 610? Thanks. Gary
Old 05-19-2014, 05:11 PM   #2
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

6210 is intended for a larger plane with more metal mass. (bigger battery or engine) You place the remote some distance from the main and then it is less likely for you to be able to "shadow" (have significant metal between TX and RX, blocking the signal) both antennae at once.

Generally you don't need the 6210 until you have a plane over 4 lbs.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:24 PM   #3
Turner
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

More here:

https://www.spektrumrc.com/Technology/MultiLink.aspx
Old 05-19-2014, 07:51 PM   #4
NJSwede
3D wannabe

View NJSwede's Gallery1
Club: Somerset Signal Senders & GCA
Awards Showcase

2kW  1kW 
Friends: (10)

It's all about signal path diversity. A 2.4GHz signal is very sensitive to solid objects, especially metal ones. So if you're flying your model in a way such that an engine, motor, battery, CF-rod or something else is blocking the signal for one receiver, another one can take over. In a small plane, the solid objects are small enough that you'll never block the signal for any meaningful period of time, but the bigger the plane, the greater the chance that you have some big chunk of something blocking the signal path. For example, in my 88" Slick, I have four separate satellite receivers. Probably overkill, but it provides some peace of mind and virtually guarantees that there's no angle where you'd have less than 2 receivers picking up the signal.

AMA #959089
Old 05-19-2014, 08:11 PM   #5
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

BTW... using the logger and one of Spektrum's AR9000 RXs on a 50CC model... 15 min flights average 50 "lost packets" max per RX. Thats less than 1 second total where any one satellite was not getting useful signal. 0 packets where no satellite got a useful signal.

Consistent over the last 4 years. I've never seen more than 100 lost packets on any one satellite.

The system works really well...
Old 05-19-2014, 08:31 PM   #6
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
BTW... using the logger and one of Spektrum's AR9000 RXs on a 50CC model... 15 min flights average 50 "lost packets" max per RX. Thats less than 1 second total where any one satellite was not getting useful signal. 0 packets where no satellite got a useful signal.

Consistent over the last 4 years. I've never seen more than 100 lost packets on any one satellite.

The system works really well...
Yeah

I've got that logger also, and have had similar results. So much so, that logger is sitting safely in my drawer full of receiver stuff.

Methinks if we'd had logging ability on those 72 Mhz radios, we'd been rather surprised by the results.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 05-19-2014, 08:33 PM   #7
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
It's all about signal path diversity. A 2.4GHz signal is very sensitive to solid objects, especially metal ones. So if you're flying your model in a way such that an engine, motor, battery, CF-rod or something else is blocking the signal for one receiver, another one can take over. In a small plane, the solid objects are small enough that you'll never block the signal for any meaningful period of time, but the bigger the plane, the greater the chance that you have some big chunk of something blocking the signal path. For example, in my 88" Slick, I have four separate satellite receivers. Probably overkill, but it provides some peace of mind and virtually guarantees that there's no angle where you'd have less than 2 receivers picking up the signal.
I've got one of those spectrum analyzers, and used it to check the signal level about 6 inches behind a 6S2P A123 battery pack, with its aluminum encased cells. Behind that battery pack, the analyzer showed that the signal dropped to Zero. Would the average person notice the brief signal loss? Good question, but for me, the extra signal reception improvement of the reliability of the slave receiver is very definitely worth while.

Take a look:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72719

As for signal reliability, yesterday at our club field, a fellow modeler had a giant scale model with a 125 inch wingspan, twin cylinder 150 CC gasser up front, with a top of the line Spektrum receiver and three or four slave receivers. Plus the usual primary and backup battery packs and so on. Very nice airplane, but he never got the engine started. The choke push rod fell behind the engine cowling, the cowling has to be removed to fix. That cowling had several dozen screws holding it in place.

That model had some 10 servos, each rated at 600 inch ounces torque.

DennyV
Old 05-19-2014, 08:46 PM   #8
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Turner View Post
I like that website.

Not all RC radio manufacturers publish how their own radio communications systems work.

DennyV
Old 05-19-2014, 10:36 PM   #9
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

View Stevephoon's Gallery67
Club: United Flying Organization
Friends: (8)

The AR6210 also has the "SmartSafe™ failsafe system" where the AR610 does not. So if going to failsafe values when the TX signal is lost is needed instead of just a hold, you need the AR6210.

Steve

Growing the fleet!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions