Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Indoor & Micro Electric Planes
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-31-2014, 12:33 AM   #1
Bill Gibson

Friends: (1)
Default I want one!!

MAN! That new E-flite S1S Pitts Special looks SWEET!! Cant wait for someone on here to get one and tell us ALL ABOUT IT! They havent shown up around here yet at the local Hobby Shops.....AARGGHH!
Old 05-31-2014, 01:36 AM   #2
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Got mine. ..
Old 05-31-2014, 01:42 AM   #3
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Ok, I won't tease. I haven't flown it yet. I'd love to tomorrow but it's family day. I tried Monday but it got a little too windy for me for a maiden. Hopefully Sunday. From the lengthy thread on RCG, I've just seen happy customers. Not a 3d machine, but a fun sport flyer. I'll come back with my experiences after I fly her.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:50 AM   #4
Bill Gibson

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Ok, I won't tease. I haven't flown it yet. I'd love to tomorrow but it's family day. I tried Monday but it got a little too windy for me for a maiden. Hopefully Sunday. From the lengthy thread on RCG, I've just seen happy customers. Not a 3d machine, but a fun sport flyer. I'll come back with my experiences after I fly her.
EXCELLENT!! Cant wait to hear ALL about yer maiden!! hope its a good one, and you have a BALL with it! Sure is a nice lookin ship!
Old 05-31-2014, 04:32 PM   #5
Chucksolo69

My buddy brought his to the field last week. It flies great. He was doing all the aerobatics with it including knife edge. It practically lands itself too. I was impressed with the construction of the little bipe.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:49 PM   #6
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

My only complaint about construction so far is the battery tray. Is like a very thin sheet of foam with velcro down the middle, b but only the side edges of the foam appear to be glued down. I feel like I need to glue that down before it tears out. Also over at RCG, some have an issue with the trailing edge of the gear strut fairings digging into the bottom of the plane at the wing root. Tape and other things have been used to protect it.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:41 AM   #7
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Friends: (4)

Just got mine

Only 140 with taxes, over 100 less than the SBach. Beautiful flier, knife edges are a little tricky, requiring a bit more aileron input compared to the SBach. Not as extreme for stunts, but inverted is a breeze, top end is equal or faster than the SBach. The battery location is nice and large. With the foam piece, you can easily use your finger to hold it down while you remove the battery. As for the gear indenting the foam of the lower wing, it is true, although it groves a small area into the foam, and it won't get any worse. Landing is easy and the wheels are nice and large (large for a micro at least) so I can take off and land from short grass. I did nose over just before the plane stopped after landing a few times. The build quality is great on this plane, a lot better than the SBach, especially the real wheel pants, vs the half pants on the SBach that move around and can get torn off. The best part is, no loss of reception from the Turnigy 9xr. I was flying in a different field, but there were power lines around the field, so clearly power lines aren't the issue. Unless there is something else weird blocking my signal, the issue with the SBach is pointing dead straight at the AS3X. Tomorrow I'll take the Pitts for a gentle flight in my usual area, and rule out the area causing issues. Just level flight, slow, close to ground, so if it does get shot down, it will just tumble into the field, and not dive at high speed. It all goes well, and I think it will, I'll be attempting to talk to Eflite about my SBach, because I have spent too much on new props, prop mounts, a fuse, and tail parts and wing, and it isn't even an issue of poor flying skills on my part.

Oh, the batteries get a tad warm on the Pitts. Not hot, but the Pitts is clearly pulling more amps when you push it. Flight times are about the same as the SBach as it can be flown nice is slow.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:00 PM   #8
Bill Gibson

THANKS GUYS for the mini reviews! Well.......its settled......I GOTTA GET ONE!
Old 06-01-2014, 03:57 PM   #9
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Guys at the LHS said it's the best micro yet. Remember, it's not for stunts. It has great vertical, fast roll rate a good rudder authority, but much less than the SBach or beast. The flying characteristics can't be beat though; you can float it around at 5mph, kick up throttle and roll, loop, knife edge, fly inverted, and finish with a gentle landing. I was annoyed either the gear grooving the wings, but I think it's the grass and how it causes the gear to pull back and up. On pavement, there would be little drag. Overall if lowered throws, and made throttle 50%, it could be a trainer.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:19 PM   #10
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

I love the Pitts ... but this is too small in my mind ...

But Piper - I know this has stabiliser - but a Pitts for a Trainer ? C'mon mate !

Best Pitts I ever flew .. I flew a lot of back years ago ... I was the poor guy usually given the new job to maiden !! The best I ever had was the Phil Ramsay Mini Pitts ... glow 40 powered ...

Nothing I have had since has ever matched that little babe ...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 06-01-2014, 06:18 PM   #11
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

A buddy of mine just had his delivered from Horizon on Thursday......we flew it yesturday........both of us have tons of hours on bipes.....this little Pitt's does not fly like any Pitt's either of us have flown....due to it's size and AS3X.

It's very nimble......and flight times on high rates with stock battery averaged 6mins.........we used both low and high rates on the Spektrum DX6i....it needed a few mechanical adjustments like the manual recommends.......I'd say, with control horns set at the slowest linkage rates (as it came factory)......it would be a good second plane for a pilot who has had previous biplane experience.....but not for a beginner or complete newbie (even with the AS3X) it's still has bipe tendencies!

It will nose over on grass landings if approach is to hot......but on low rates with AS3X.....she's pretty predictable and slow.......it will stall, so a touch of throttle is recommended.

Even though it is a fun "little" 3Der.....for my taste, just a bit to small to really feel what I've come to appreciate with bigger bipe's.....just my preferrence for the larger planes which provide higher visibility and more dramatic appearance when flown outside in large areanas.....

AMA 928214
Old 06-01-2014, 06:21 PM   #12
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Not kidding, it can fly nice and slow. Okay, maybe not the best trainer, but my concept of trainer is not what most would recommend. Take off has no stall, and is at a low speed. When I took of from the grass it looked like a slow stick taking off. This was around half throttle, less probably. Hit the throttle and it just zooms away. Cruise is just floating around, stall is very forgiving. It's certainly more to handle than a high wing, but I really learnt my flying on the mini switch, which is not as forgiving as a typical trainer, as it likes to land hot, doesn't level off. This Pitts can literally be brought down to walking speed for a landing and it handles turns well at low speed too. Clearly you'd have to lessen the throws and throttle, but the flight is so predictable at any speed. It's not a trainer plane/first plane, but with someone there to take over if something happens, one could learn on it
Old 06-01-2014, 06:32 PM   #13
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
A buddy of mine just had his delivered from Horizon on Thursday......we flew it yesturday........both of us have tons of hours on bipes.....this little Pitt's does not fly like any Pitt's either of us have flown....due to it's size and AS3X.

It's very nimble......and flight times on high rates with stock battery averaged 6mins.........we used both low and high rates on the Spektrum DX6i....it needed a few mechanical adjustments like the manual recommends.......I'd say, with control horns set at the slowest linkage rates (as it came factory)......it would be a good second plane for a pilot who has had previous biplane experience.....but not for a beginner or complete newbie (even with the AS3X) it's still has bipe tendencies!

It will nose over on grass landings if approach is to hot......but on low rates with AS3X.....she's pretty predictable and slow.......it will stall, so a touch of throttle is recommended.

Even though it is a fun "little" 3Der.....for my taste, just a bit to small to really feel what I've come to appreciate with bigger bipe's.....just my preferrence for the larger planes which provide higher visibility and more dramatic appearance when flown outside in large areanas.....
I even landed on dead stick. I guess compared to what I'm used it's very predictable. This is my first biplane, very good flyer.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #14
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

Hey thepiper92.......

Crank it up a notch.....lol

Set the linkages to mid levels and tune-it-in on TX high rates...... then gives us a second opinion on it's characteristics.......

We did this yesturday....it still flew well (be it not scale, predictable or graceful).....but it's not what one would expect from a typical Pitt's, Ultimate, Beast, Stearman or similar as, say, a 36" to 52" wingspan bipe!

It may be your first bipe.....considering that, lets just say the E-Flight S1S Ultra micro with artificial stability is as advertised, an enjoyable little intermediate flyers toss around.......that can be as predictable as one's experience permits.....

AMA 928214
Old 06-01-2014, 07:46 PM   #15
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Yes I'll have to try that too, push it a bit more. I did feel I could handle a bit more of tossing it around. Okay maybe I am increasing in my skills more quickly than I thought lol, the plane just felt so easy to fly. Guess I am an intermediate flier, though it feels like yesterday I began flying.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:03 AM   #16
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Finally flew mine today. Super stable in the windy conditions, as expected with the AS3X. My only letdown was it seemed really slow, but I had just flown my souped up F-35 EDF, so it could have just been me. I'm using some pretty old batteries, too, so that may have effected it a bit. But I think it flies like a Pitts should. Tried loops, rolls, snap rolls. Didn't try any knife edges.Even with the gusty winds, landing was a breeze! (Pun intended!) Overall, I'm a happy camper.

Oh yeah, my first biplane! I just realized that while typing.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:47 AM   #17
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

I find it quick, same as my SBach. You could be using bad batteries, this plane demands more from batteries, as it weighs more, has a higher kv motor and larger prop. Knife edges are not as easy as the SBach, and aileron is needed to keep it going
Old 06-02-2014, 08:49 AM   #18
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Yeah. The batts I have are the ones that have flown many times in my UMX Stryker and UMX MiG-15. But They've been down a while. That's another story. Anyway, i charged 3 to bring to the field, and one had a low cell when i got there. (I parallel charged. I wonder what that did to the other batts) They're a bit tired, but I have a couple of larger, high C rated Babblebats I will try at some point.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:46 PM   #19
Bill Gibson

This all great stuff......! About the battery deal, my Yak 54 came with a 45C battery, and i tried it in my Sbach, which came with a 20 or 25C pack, and i could tell a very noticeable difference in "punch" when i powered up the Sbach in flight! My LHS is supposed to be getting some Pitts in this week, and if they do.....IM THERE!!
Old 06-02-2014, 04:28 PM   #20
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Only thing I have to do now is take the Pitts to the SBach's burial ground...well multiple burials. A couple flights there will show that the SBach is the issue, not powerlines. Kinda worried though, the Pitts looks so good, don't want to even scuff the wing tips
Old 06-03-2014, 01:57 AM   #21
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Well that went well. The Pitts was not the pits The "killing field" for my SBach turned out not to be so for the Pitts, which mean that the field is fine, powerlines do not interfere with the signal, my radio/module is fine, and the issue is 100% pointing to the Sbach. I will send them a letter, although I cannot locate my dang receipt for the Sbach
Old 06-03-2014, 04:56 AM   #22
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

10 flight with the Pitts, 6 in my regular field no problem whatsoever. What a great plane. I increased the throws, doing some real nice snap rolls, stall turns (trying them at least) and tailslides by cutting the throttle.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:26 PM   #23
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Was at hobbyshop getting more wood for my build. Talked about the Pitts a bit, and they suggested the 300mah 35C batteries. They are larger, but the front end of the Pitts fits it no problem. They stated an extra 2 minutes flight with using the 300mah packs. The weight is not that much more, so performance shouldn't suffer; the extra weight should help the plane on windier days too. They are 35C too, so no more heating up.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:19 AM   #24
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Okay a bit of bad luck. My fault completely. I was coming in for a land, over powerlines, an ex coworker honked at me, I waved quickly and when I went back I guess the wind slowed the plane, and it hit a powerline. Yep, not the pole, a skinny line. I cracked the nose and broke the prop mount. A little canopy glue, take mount off SBach and it'll be good as new.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:50 PM   #25
Bill Gibson

Welp, none of my LHS around here seem to have an interest in getting me a Pitts, so i just ordered one online.......its a shame.....somebody in a brick and mortar building just lost an EASY sale!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Indoor & Micro Electric Planes