Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-31-2014, 09:09 AM   #1
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)
Default Failed cell LiPo's and use - instead of bin !

OK ... I have a few 3S and 4S packs that have a dud cell ... but the other cells seem to hold and provide good power ... I agree that it's only a matter if time before they go west also .... but ....

There are times when a model is poorly designed / made that CoG is a problem and often requires weight up front.

Given that a 4S pack of similar capacity weighs significantly more than a similar 3S pack ... if the 4S is dud on one cell ... (I know you lose 1/4 mAh) ... maybe it can be used in that 3S model that needs nose weight.

Similarly the 3S with a dud cell in a 2S model.

I've looked at the packs with idea to cut out the dud cell ... but the foil tabs and soldering is welded or Hard soldered - not Soft soldered. I'm a bit reluctant to play about with cells and trust them to stay connected etc.

How many people modify or use such packs ? So far I use them for bench testing ... but thinking to use in less demanding models.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 05-31-2014, 01:45 PM   #2
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Can't fly with a daed cell because the dead cell has internal resistance and robs power plus you are carrying the excess weight.

And its not safe to be passing current through a dead cell.

Its generally not worth the effort to cut the bad cell out because the other cells in the pack are the same age and have the same use history as the bad one. You can expect them to fail pretty soon.

So I just drive a nail through the pack and toss it in a safe place for it to burn. Then I put the remains in the trash.
Old 05-31-2014, 02:08 PM   #3
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

ditto fh,i can't stand batts that have defects. the one's i hate the most is a broken red or black lead. i have tried to reheat existing solder on the wire but it never holds.

i no longer pop/burn packs to the open air and pollute my neighbors air. i use a 3 prong garden rake to poke a hole,wait for the smoke to start and plop it in a small bucket of water to boil away. after a few minutes it threat is done. i leave it in the bucket till i get around to tossing it.

having only flown electrics I've smoked enough batteries to no longer need to see the deadly smoke.

this reminds me to pop 2 batts in the storage cabinet that just aren't safe anymore.

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 05-31-2014, 02:10 PM   #4
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Yep, it would only be safe to do this if you bypassed the bad cell by re-soldering the output wires, or removed the cell completely. Otherwise you are still passing full current through the damaged cell which is likely to end badly. To be honest really not worth the hassle.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:10 AM   #5
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,109 Times in 2,019 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (305)

The old Align lipos you could solder them because they had a soldered tab, but the newer lipos are fuse welded and you cant do any thing with them, best to just toss them out.

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 06-01-2014, 02:19 PM   #6
Walt Thyng
Walt

Friends: (0)
Default Re-wiring LiPos

I guess I haven't run into those "hard soldered" or "fuse soldered" cells. A lot of guys in my club fly 5,6,7,8,10 cell packs. When they lose a cell or two, the packs come to me (I'm the club scrounge). I use WD40 and an old business card to separate the cells. Next I snip off the metal connector tabs on the bad cells. I use those salvaged tabs to make new connections. I still have a hammer head iron from NiCad days and use it when resoldering. I like to have a lot of heat that can be applied quickly before the cell heats up.
Walt

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems