Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Member Product Reviews > Aircraft Reviews
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Aircraft Reviews Member based Reviews on ARF's and Kits Open for Business!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)
Comment

Review Tools Display Modes
E-flite UMX Pitts S-1S
E-flite UMX Pitts S-1S
Published by thepiper92
06-07-2014
Default E-flite UMX Pitts S-1S

The UMX Pitts S-1S has become one of my favorite planes, and so far my favorite micro. I have been flying for a year now, mainly planes 30 inch wingspan or more; I am currently building a 60 inch wingspan Hurricane. My main style of planes are single prop warbirds, and so the UMX SBach and Pitts are not only my first micros, but first aerobatic planes. The Pitts weighs in a bit heavier than the UMX Sbach, but with a larger prop and higher kv motor, speed is roughly the same. The UMX Pitts does not climb out to the extreme level as the UMX Sbach, but the aerobatic abilities of the plane are very good, nonetheless.

Take off and ground handling are very admirable; the plane steers quite easily, although has a habit of hitting the wing if turns are too fast. Taking off is easy and has no tendencies to stall, and I am sure hand tosses would work as they do with the SBach. During flight, the plane handles solidly, even in mild wind, with very good authority from all control surfaces, allowing one to do knife edges with help from aileron input, loops, rolls, snap rolls and inverted requires only a bit of elevator input. This plane is not one to hover, put it can climb vertical quite well. I have yet to carry more moves successfully in flight, such as the lomcevak or hovering, though I doubt a plane of this size can perform it, as well as the facts that I am still learning and wind is seldom zero. A larger 300mah does help in wind.

Slow flight performance is good, although it is not a plane that likes to be flown at much less than full throttle I feel. I seldom fly the plane sedately, and find myself constantly in the upper throttle ranges, unless I am purposely stalling the plane, or attempting hovering, which thus far has only resulted in the plane veering off vertical. Perhaps high rates will help, with the rods positioned on the second or third holes of the horns.

Landing is easy with the plane, and it can be taken down to a very slow speed without stalling. Because of take off and landing characteristics, one could actually learn these important aspects of flight as a beginner. This is not to say a new person to flight should get the Pitts, or perhaps any micro, but with the help of a more experienced flyer, and lessened throws from the surfaces, learning flight would be possible. What I mean by this is an experience pilot taking it up, letting the new flyer have a few chances with sticks and progress. Perhaps some feel this to be incorrect, but I personally learnt on a plane not many would use as a first plane, a mini switch, in mid wing configuration to boot.

The build quality of the Pitts is amazing, featuring great scale features, and actual wheel pants, versus the fake pants on the Sbach, which also happen to move around in flight. I admit, I have had two flights which resulted in damage. On was hitting into a powerline and the other was flying in too much wind and on landing the wind pushed it sideways. Repair was easy, although it doesn't quite look perfect if you look closely. One negative with repair though, is that the parts are expensive, including the prop mount, which is also far to weak. I don't crash too often, so this isn't a big deal, but it would be nice is props, mounts, spinners, etc, were a tad cheaper; a big APC prop costs less than a tiny thin UMX prop.

My only negatives about the plane are the cost for replacement parts, and run time. It would be nice if the plane had the same run time as the SBach, although it is heavier and has a higher kv motor, so it is impossible that it would get the same run time. I have already thrown in a 300mah battery, instead of the 200mah that was in the SBach, and run is noticeably longer, but I feel it is still less. It would take some experimentation to see how much larger of a pack can fit in the plane without hurting performance/actually decreasing flight time. The 300mah packs, being higher mah and higher C rating, 35C rather than 25C, actually increase performance and run time, clearly due to the fact that the plane is pushing the 25C 200mah packs, noted by the temperature of the packs after flight. I have 500mah packs on the way and I am hoping they will do well.

Overall, one amazing plane.
Specifications
Wingspan: 17.1 in Overall Length: 15.5 in Wing Area: 100 sq. in Flying Weight: 3.2 oz
Equipment Used:
Motor: 180-size, 3000Kv brushless outrunner Speed Control: Servos: Battery: 200mah 25C 2s and 300mah 35c 2s
Retail Price:
$140
Manufacturer
E-flite

Author review
Kit Instructions:
100%100%100%
Materials & Packaging:
100%100%100%
Ease of Build & Finish:
100%100%100%
Design & Appearance:
100%100%100%
General Flight Characteristics:
90%90%90%
Performance Capabilities:
80%80%80%
Maintenance & Repair:
80%80%80%
Average 93%

Member rating

There are no ratings to display

Experience Level Advised
Experience Level Advised
Intermediate

Review Tools
Show Printable Version  Email this Page 
Old 06-07-2014, 01:36 PM
Super Contributor

Thanks for the review. Any video footage ? It's on my Fathers Day wish list I leaked to my wife and girls
Hawk
Old 06-07-2014, 03:33 PM
Warbird Fanatic

I will try for some video of the plane on Monday.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:19 PM
Super Contributor

Nice write up piper. I like when folks are honest and give good and bad characteristics.

I've been wanting a UMX for a while now. Maybe this will be the one.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:30 PM
Warbird Fanatic

There is very little negative about the plane. Flight time is a little disappointing, at less 6 minutes. The plane can get over that at lower throttle, but it is the most fun when the throttle is near max. I don't regret getting the UMX SBach, but the build leaved a lot to be desired when compared to the Pitts. I will be attempting to fly it with Hyperion 500mah 2s pack.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:07 PM
Behold The Renaissance

Decent write up.....thepiper92,

A few things to consider:

1) The UMX Pitts does not fly typical of most bipes except landing ability.
2) Mention a word or two related to high & low rate performance.
3) It may be a good flyer, but what level of pilot does it best serve?
4) Can it be hand launched or better suited for ROG?
5) Given it's size, how does it handle +5mph breeze and occasional gust?
6) Mention a word or two about the authors previous pilot experience.
7) Compare flight times to a similar size/power (or equal micro/mini bipe)

Since I have now spent over 1.5 hours on my buddies UMX Pitts....(just came back from 2 more +6min flights on both low and high rate settings), just to help him adjust all of his TX settings mainly DX6i D/R & Expo, which helped with high rate/control service linkage.......this Pitts will hover for about 1.5min in calm conditions and careful throttle management.......losses power quickly when pressed at 3/4 to full throttle for long durations.......using a 2s, 7.4v, 300mAh, 30c, (which I also use on both the GWS Slow Stick and GWS Tiger Moth 400 occasionally)...we're thinking a slim line 2s 25c, 500mAh may work on this little bipe as well.... a small 3s may push the esc/motor a little to hard since it did get pretty warm when running over 3/4 throttle on high rates on 2s.

This little UMX certainly performs as advertised.......especially in calm conditions......too light and short on fuselage (15.5") to fight any windy or gusty turbulance with scale flight in mind!
Old 06-07-2014, 09:09 PM
Warbird Fanatic

Thanks for the tips. I'll add some in later. I am nowhere near as good as you at flying, I can't make the Pitts hover at all. I can get more than 6 minutes on the 300, but the 200 gets under 6. For high rates I have only been flying on stock horn setting and 90% setting on all surfaces on radio. I haven't use high and low rates.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
Decent write up.....thepiper92,

A few things to consider:

1) The UMX Pitts does not fly typical of most bipes except landing ability.
2) Mention a word or two related to high & low rate performance.
3) It may be a good flyer, but what level of pilot does it best serve?
4) Can it be hand launched or better suited for ROG?
5) Given it's size, how does it handle +5mph breeze and occasional gust?
6) Mention a word or two about the authors previous pilot experience.
7) Compare flight times to a similar size/power (or equal micro/mini bipe)

Since I have now spent over 1.5 hours on my buddies UMX Pitts....(just came back from 2 more +6min flights on both low and high rate settings), just to help him adjust all of his TX settings mainly DX6i D/R & Expo, which helped with high rate/control service linkage.......this Pitts will hover for about 1.5min in calm conditions and careful throttle management.......losses power quickly when pressed at 3/4 to full throttle for long durations.......using a 2s, 7.4v, 300mAh, 30c, (which I also use on both the GWS Slow Stick and GWS Tiger Moth 400 occasionally)...we're thinking a slim line 2s 25c, 500mAh may work on this little bipe as well.... a small 3s may push the esc/motor a little to hard since it did get pretty warm when running over 3/4 throttle on high rates on 2s.

This little UMX certainly performs as advertised.......especially in calm conditions......too light and short on fuselage (15.5") to fight any windy or gusty turbulance with scale flight in mind!
Has you or anyone on here ever tired to use a 6x4.5 prop wouldn't that help out to improve hovers
Old 06-24-2014, 04:07 PM
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by 3D MOFO View Post
Has you or anyone on here ever tired to use a 6x4.5 prop wouldn't that help out to improve hovers
I have not......since it will hover with stock prop, if surface throws are advanced and one manages throttle correctly.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:02 PM
Warbird Fanatic

I still can't get a hover. The SBach hovered by accident, this one takes a little more concentration. I have the Yak prop on it now, slightly higher pitch. Waiting for better weather to try it out. Well, I had one day to, but was flying the Blade Mcpx BL instead. I'll try it soon though. As for the larger prop mentioned, it would kill the motor, or batteries. The motor gets hot already if you fly it hard. Going up in pitch and diameter is a lot to ask. On the smaller SBach motor it may be worth a try. I also have 500mah packs from Hyperion, can't fit any larger of a battery than the 500, unless it was a 550. 600, no way it would fit. 500 should give close to 10 minute flights IF it doesn't weigh the plane down too much. It isn't a lot heavier than the 300mah, but then again all of the batteries are weightless when you hold them, but maybe not the case for the plane.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
I have not......since it will hover with stock prop, if surface throws are advanced and one manages throttle correctly.
By advancing throws you mean giving it more throw on the on the horn or on the radio?
Old 06-24-2014, 05:37 PM
Warbird Fanatic

On the horn, moving up to the third holes. Even full throws from the radio on the first holes don't do much
Old 06-24-2014, 06:36 PM
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by 3D MOFO View Post
By advancing throws you mean giving it more throw on the on the horn or on the radio?
Stock prop, battery, motor.....surface throws we have set are outer hole on everything...aileron, rudder, elevator.
Servo horns left stock....not much to adjust there except the little tab adjustment for internal linkage movement.

TX - DX6i adjustments.....we've only mixed DR/Expo for rudder and elevator since it did little when adjusting aileron due to limited physical ratios without modifying the linkage rods.........and the RX AS3x (set at the middle range)........we adjusted in every AS3x mode, seemed it was more comfortable with outer hole settings.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:47 PM
Warbird Fanatic

Can you adjust the level of AS3X aid? Or am I misunderstanding
Old 06-24-2014, 06:58 PM
Ya got any Beeman's?

Just don't set up the servo limits any higher in the tx. These linear servos have a knack for jamming at their end stops. If anything, despite the loss, turn the servo travels down to 95% for safety. That is, if you want that safety factor.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:09 PM
Warbird Fanatic

You are better off changing throws by horns, even on max throws you can dual rate it for low throws.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:51 AM
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by thepiper92 View Post
Can you adjust the level of AS3X aid? Or am I misunderstanding
Spektrum offers a USB interface programming cable.....which can be used to download various programing aspects to the SPMAS6410NBL reciever in the Pitts.....I believe my buddy has played with this....that is why we are able to adjust the amount of gain we achieve through the AS3X...or he has programmed a different model set-up and we have been tweeking that.......I'll ask him and get back with an answer...!
Old 06-25-2014, 03:02 AM
Warbird Fanatic

I noticed that device, although another programming thing to find legs and disappear. I was thinking of it for my blade mcpx BL, not sure if it would work though or if it does, whether or not you can adjust throttle. On the mcpx BL and all UMX planes low throttle doesn't exist
Old 06-26-2014, 04:25 AM
Warbird Fanatic

The Hyperion 500mah with UMX connector works well, fits in nicely, and I don't notice a loss in speed. I can feel the plane has more push however, and isn't floaty, so the weight is giving it a bit more authority I guess, and snap rolls have more snap. I quite like how it feels, almost like you have a bigger plane. If anyone else tries the 500, chime in of how it is. Note, I am using the Yak prop, but if seems the same with the stock 200, even though pitch is higher. I may have to take the idea of a six inch prop. The motor is cool with the yak prop, so maybe a 6 inch could be used, low pitch though, not 4.5. A 3 pitch maybe.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:22 PM
Warbird Fanatic

APC props are a no go. All the hubs are too high in diameter and the shaft adapters are too large. Oddly the 5.7x 3 and 6x4 are smallest, the 6x4 has a massive hub. Another odd finding is that a shaft adapter that comes with a master airscrew 14x8 prop fits the UMX mount. To make it work, it would need heavy modding such as a custom mount and something to fit in the front of the prop, so the screw can actually hold the prop on. Even then the spinner will not fit without trimming it to having barely any foam on the sides. Such experiments would suit the Yak better, which has no spinner and only the ugly screw is exposed. This is actually one of the things that made me look past the Yak, as well as the unrealistic silver canopy and the unfinished looking landing gear. I still may buy it at some point, but seeing as how detailed the Pitts is, perhaps they will revamp the other UMX planes a bit to actually look half as realistic as the Pitts. I still like my SBach of course, once I get it up and running again, but once one gets a Pitts, you see the lack of scale features on the other planes.
Comment

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Member Product Reviews > Aircraft Reviews

« Previous Review | Next Review »