Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Member Product Reviews > Aircraft Reviews
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Aircraft Reviews Member based Reviews on ARF's and Kits Open for Business!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Review Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
E-flite UMX Pitts S-1S
E-flite UMX Pitts S-1S
Published by thepiper92
06-07-2014
Default E-flite UMX Pitts S-1S

The UMX Pitts S-1S has become one of my favorite planes, and so far my favorite micro. I have been flying for a year now, mainly planes 30 inch wingspan or more; I am currently building a 60 inch wingspan Hurricane. My main style of planes are single prop warbirds, and so the UMX SBach and Pitts are not only my first micros, but first aerobatic planes. The Pitts weighs in a bit heavier than the UMX Sbach, but with a larger prop and higher kv motor, speed is roughly the same. The UMX Pitts does not climb out to the extreme level as the UMX Sbach, but the aerobatic abilities of the plane are very good, nonetheless.

Take off and ground handling are very admirable; the plane steers quite easily, although has a habit of hitting the wing if turns are too fast. Taking off is easy and has no tendencies to stall, and I am sure hand tosses would work as they do with the SBach. During flight, the plane handles solidly, even in mild wind, with very good authority from all control surfaces, allowing one to do knife edges with help from aileron input, loops, rolls, snap rolls and inverted requires only a bit of elevator input. This plane is not one to hover, put it can climb vertical quite well. I have yet to carry more moves successfully in flight, such as the lomcevak or hovering, though I doubt a plane of this size can perform it, as well as the facts that I am still learning and wind is seldom zero. A larger 300mah does help in wind.

Slow flight performance is good, although it is not a plane that likes to be flown at much less than full throttle I feel. I seldom fly the plane sedately, and find myself constantly in the upper throttle ranges, unless I am purposely stalling the plane, or attempting hovering, which thus far has only resulted in the plane veering off vertical. Perhaps high rates will help, with the rods positioned on the second or third holes of the horns.

Landing is easy with the plane, and it can be taken down to a very slow speed without stalling. Because of take off and landing characteristics, one could actually learn these important aspects of flight as a beginner. This is not to say a new person to flight should get the Pitts, or perhaps any micro, but with the help of a more experienced flyer, and lessened throws from the surfaces, learning flight would be possible. What I mean by this is an experience pilot taking it up, letting the new flyer have a few chances with sticks and progress. Perhaps some feel this to be incorrect, but I personally learnt on a plane not many would use as a first plane, a mini switch, in mid wing configuration to boot.

The build quality of the Pitts is amazing, featuring great scale features, and actual wheel pants, versus the fake pants on the Sbach, which also happen to move around in flight. I admit, I have had two flights which resulted in damage. On was hitting into a powerline and the other was flying in too much wind and on landing the wind pushed it sideways. Repair was easy, although it doesn't quite look perfect if you look closely. One negative with repair though, is that the parts are expensive, including the prop mount, which is also far to weak. I don't crash too often, so this isn't a big deal, but it would be nice is props, mounts, spinners, etc, were a tad cheaper; a big APC prop costs less than a tiny thin UMX prop.

My only negatives about the plane are the cost for replacement parts, and run time. It would be nice if the plane had the same run time as the SBach, although it is heavier and has a higher kv motor, so it is impossible that it would get the same run time. I have already thrown in a 300mah battery, instead of the 200mah that was in the SBach, and run is noticeably longer, but I feel it is still less. It would take some experimentation to see how much larger of a pack can fit in the plane without hurting performance/actually decreasing flight time. The 300mah packs, being higher mah and higher C rating, 35C rather than 25C, actually increase performance and run time, clearly due to the fact that the plane is pushing the 25C 200mah packs, noted by the temperature of the packs after flight. I have 500mah packs on the way and I am hoping they will do well.

Overall, one amazing plane.
Specifications
Wingspan: 17.1 in Overall Length: 15.5 in Wing Area: 100 sq. in Flying Weight: 3.2 oz
Equipment Used:
Motor: 180-size, 3000Kv brushless outrunner Speed Control: Servos: Battery: 200mah 25C 2s and 300mah 35c 2s
Retail Price:
$140
Manufacturer
E-flite

Author review
Kit Instructions:
100%100%100%
Materials & Packaging:
100%100%100%
Ease of Build & Finish:
100%100%100%
Design & Appearance:
100%100%100%
General Flight Characteristics:
90%90%90%
Performance Capabilities:
80%80%80%
Maintenance & Repair:
80%80%80%
Average 93%

Member rating

There are no ratings to display

Experience Level Advised
Experience Level Advised
Intermediate

Review Tools
Show Printable Version  Email this Page 

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Member Product Reviews > Aircraft Reviews

« Previous Review | Next Review »