Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-28-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)
Default Sciatica is stopping me flying... any cures?

So i must have tweaked my back which is causing sciatica giving me very bad pain in my thigh when I stand or walk. As I need to walk about 100m from the car to flying site this is stopping me from flying, which is making me even grumpier than usual. Ibuprofen hardly makes a dent in the pain.

Physio has given me stretching exercises to do but they so far havent made a whole lot of difference. So does anyone have any magic cures for sciatica / back pain? I welcome even the most stupid suggestion, if nothing else it might give me a laugh

Steve
Old 06-28-2014, 01:23 PM   #2
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Jet,

Hang upside down. Old golfers remedy. My Dad used to tell stories about helping his buddies by lifting them up on a tree . I guess that's the poor mans way

If there's compression somewhere causing the "metal on metal" effect, it may help relieve the pain.

In the States , there's a device called an inversion table: https://www.teetertv.com/?x=bca Probably a version on your side of the pond.

Pain is bad. I hope you get better soon !

Hawk

Wounded Warrior Fun Fly - Aug 16th ,2014 - Grapevine TX - Info link: https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...ising/RCPilots
Old 06-28-2014, 05:57 PM   #3
Wildflyer
2014 President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (7)

As a carpenter for about 50 years, I have had more sciatica than I care to remember.
One time I somehow severely pinched both sciatic nerves at the same time, when I had a muscle spasm while turning to get out of my work truck. I thought I was going to bend or break the steering wheel, because I was pulling on it so hard, trying to get the weight off my hips. I suddenly understood why a person in that much pain, would shoot themselves to stop it. It only lasted for a minute, but it felt like an hour.

I have "fixed" myself sometimes by grabbing a pipe over my head, and trying to lock my hand grip, and let every thing else go limp. It is basically similar to an inversion table. You are trying to remove the normal stack of weight on the spine, and change it to a pulling effect.

Sometimes laying face down on the floor, and having my wife push down on my lower spine, moving up or down about 12 mm at a time. If we got a significant pop out of a joint, I would lay there for maybe 1/2 hour. That helped many times.

Sometimes you just have to go to a GOOD chiropractor. The ones that help me, put one fist under my back at the correct spot, and then push down hard on my arms which are folded across my chest.
Some chiropractors use little thumper gadgets, and tables that bend in the center a little. I was talked into going to this one idiot for 6 weeks, with NO effect. Went to a good one once and I was fine.

I have placed a folded towel under the lower back when i went to bed, when the muscles relaxed about 15 minutes later, some times I would get a sudden realignment in my back.

Good luck, I know how much sciatica can hurt.

Dave R, Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:00 PM   #4
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Bring a chair or wheelchair to the field and sit while you fly.

Extreme case would be to make an "Ed Henry Fly-Seat" (replicates a Piper Cub's front seat including stick and rudder pedals... connects the full scale controls to the RC TX) and have a second person stand behind you to swivel the chair and keep you facing the airplane.

We've had people who needed power wheelchairs learn to fly.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:50 PM   #5
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Hmmm, two weeks ago i was doing a 60 mile off road cycle race in Norway, so I'm not quite ready to give up on the legs and get a wheelchair just yet. The hanging from a bar or upside down is sounding pretty good right now, extending the spine does bring relief.
It's the first time I've experienced it (and hopefully the last) but as I understand it sciatica doesn't usually last too long, so fingers crossed i'll be better in a few days.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:52 AM   #6
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Friends: (10)

I'm in the same situation today. Laid up all weekend. I herniated L4 and L5 about 8 years ago. The biggest help has come from an inversion table and a Sleep Number bed. Sometimes (like now) even they don't help because of the inflammation. I just have to lay flat as much as possible and take naproxen sodium (Aleve). Nothing sucks worse than back pain. It's had a major impact on my life.

Joe

The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....
Old 06-29-2014, 03:31 AM   #7
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Well... there are things that can be worse than back pain... been there with the back pain and worse.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:00 AM   #8
zoltron55

Club: mon valley rc club
Friends: (2)

I feel for you. getting old is not for wimps ( they would not let use my original wording)
Old 06-29-2014, 06:13 AM   #9
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)

If you have a pretty decent size hill you could easy lie down while flying.

when we go to the salt flats i can't stand to sit in a chair and.fly. my dad does it quite a bit though.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 06-29-2014, 06:28 AM   #10
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
So i must have tweaked my back which is causing sciatica giving me very bad pain in my thigh when I stand or walk. As I need to walk about 100m from the car to flying site this is stopping me from flying, which is making me even grumpier than usual. Ibuprofen hardly makes a dent in the pain.

Physio has given me stretching exercises to do but they so far havent made a whole lot of difference. So does anyone have any magic cures for sciatica / back pain? I welcome even the most stupid suggestion, if nothing else it might give me a laugh

Steve
My wife has gone through heck and back with severe back pain, including titanium rods, radio frequency nerve killer procedures, pain pumps and so on.

Bottom line, most back issues resolve them selves after a month or three. If it continues past that, IMHO, it's time to see a very good doctor that specializes in this sort of thing.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 06-29-2014, 07:01 AM   #11
fhhuber
Super Contributor

VA's answer to back pain is... deal with it.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:36 AM   #12
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
VA's answer to back pain is... deal with it.
Yeah, that's a lot of help

The back pain itself isn't a big issue, it's the effect the swelling in the back has on the sciatic nerve that leads to severe leg pain that's the show stopper.

I appreciate a touch of sciatica isn't the worst thing in the world, there are many millions in a lot worse position, but for someone used to being fit and mobile it's a real frustration.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, if it carries on I'll certainly look into them.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:38 AM   #13
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (15)

I suffer a bit - but that's because of the job .. and I live with it.

If I was as bad as you appear to be JPF ... you really have my sympathy and I think I'd be of to get the very best Chiropractor I could ..

I know some are scam artists and if not careful - can do more damage than good. But I know guys and my ex wife who have had excellent results from a Chiro.

My Ex - the Chiro recc'd a gym as well .. which she now attends .. worked wonders ! The Chiro basically got her up and moving - the gym has kept it going.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 06-29-2014, 12:22 PM   #14
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,109 Times in 2,019 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (305)

Steve
Bummer, Sorry to hear about that, an inversion table like Hawk suggested may help as well as seeing a good Chiropractor IMHO, Take care, Chellie

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 06-29-2014, 03:58 PM   #15
kyleservicetech
Dennis V

Club: www.racinercclub.com (I'm the newsletter editor)
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  3kW  2kW  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (20)

Yeah, that's a lot of help

The back pain itself isn't a big issue, it's the effect the swelling in the back has on the sciatic nerve that leads to severe leg pain that's the show stopper.

I appreciate a touch of sciatica isn't the worst thing in the world, there are many millions in a lot worse position, but for someone used to being fit and mobile it's a real frustration.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, if it carries on I'll certainly look into them.
if you are getting numbness in your legs IHMO, that is nothing to fool around with.

DennyV
Retired and the days are just too short, busier than ever!
Old 06-29-2014, 07:03 PM   #16
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Yes, there is some numbness and weakness that goes along with the pain. The good news is it seems to be a little better today so hopefully I'm on the mend.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:45 PM   #17
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

So the good news is the Sciatica is just about gone. I'm back cycling to work (first time on the bike today since it struck and i felt fine) and can lug my models down to the field with barely a twinge.

After a spell when you can hardly walk it's amazing how great it feels to be able to do all the normal stuff that you usually take for granted.

The physio advised 'core balance' exercises to strengthen the little used muscles in the abdomen and back to prevent re-occurrence. The only trouble is these exercises (a mix of yoga moves and rolling around on a giant ball) make you look like a complete muppet, so I'm not sure I'm brave enough
Old 07-14-2014, 08:40 PM   #18
fhhuber
Super Contributor

The physio advised 'core balance' exercises to strengthen the little used muscles in the abdomen and back to prevent re-occurrence. The only trouble is these exercises (a mix of yoga moves and rolling around on a giant ball) make you look like a complete muppet, so I'm not sure I'm brave enough
Do the exercises at home... alone. Don't take video for youtube.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:40 AM   #19
Al_M

Friends: (0)

It is never gone. You will always have to be careful and never stop the exercises.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat