Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Multi-Rotors
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Multi-Rotors Discuss your quad copters and other multi engined choppers here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-29-2014, 11:51 PM   #1
pax1980

Friends: (0)
Default HELP! My WALKERA qr350Pro went bad, then missing!

Hi, I've had a really sad day when I lost my Walkera QR 350 Pro, Gimbal, Ilook, with Devo-10 and RX-LCD 7 "display.

The first 2 flights today was successful take-offs and landings as normal. We flew pretty low taking pcitures.
The first trip I landed manually, the second trip I landed via GPS mode go home.
It had spent about 10-12 min of battery so far this day.

On the third trip it began to behave strangely and suddenly began to go against WEST / SOUTH WEST. It was as if the remote control gave minimal response (just strange!), and I really struggled to try to take it back.
When I realized I was about to lose all control, I put it in GO HOME mode. This gave no response.

The Walkera then went very fast WEST - WEST / SOUTH and rose higher and higher.
My co-pilot ran as fast as he could as he looked at the screen (wifi, rx-lcd)
It was not possible to see the drone, so the only thing he saw was the video signal.
The signal became weaker and weaker, but we recognize some of the area (camera was facing down)

We've been out searching for 6-7 hours in the hope of finding it, or pick up a video signal, but have not found anything.

I know none of you are psychic ... But does anyone know what could have happened? Has anyone had a similar experience? Are there any clues to what it might have done after we lost it?

Map on google map: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...I.kne4CWbQ0Tuc

Old 06-30-2014, 01:34 PM   #2
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,162 Times in 2,070 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (311)

did you replace the battery between flights, if not, you may have drained the battery down to low, and lost operating voltage, low voltage.

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 06-30-2014, 05:06 PM   #3
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Sorry for your loss, but this is just more ammunition for the FAA. As far as if other people are having this happen, go to youtube and search for quad flyaway. You'll only see the vids of the ones people retrieved, and there seems to be plenty of them.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:46 PM   #4
pax1980

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
did you replace the battery between flights, if not, you may have drained the battery down to low, and lost operating voltage, low voltage.

Thanks for your answer Chellie

No we did not change the battery package, but we figured out that we should have 10-12 min left, plenty of time.

But when it left, it really accelerated, and the battery seems to have plenty of power left.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:48 PM   #5
pax1980

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Sorry for your loss, but this is just more ammunition for the FAA. As far as if other people are having this happen, go to youtube and search for quad flyaway. You'll only see the vids of the ones people retrieved, and there seems to be plenty of them.
Thanks Xmech. Yes, after this accident, I found a LOT of treads with "Fly aways". It seems a lot of drones goes mad and just runs off... woundering where...

If I ever finds it, or gets a new, a GPS tracker is a must!
Old 06-30-2014, 05:53 PM   #6
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Probably should be a way to set it for loss of signal = go home.... since it has the go home mode.

Its sounding like something caused loss of communication between TX and RX and the quad went into one of its autopilot modes, just not the mode you wanted.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:35 PM   #7
unitard

I had a very similar experience. In fact, probably worse. I will post a full writeup of my experience with this, hopefully this weekend.

To summarise what I went through, my x350 pro did a flyaway at the 4 min mark on its very2nd flight. Other than that, my experience and reaction was pretty much similar to yours.

I wrote to Walkera, they refused to do anything at first, but in the end relented and sent me a replacement x350 pro only. I had to pay for the replacement iLook+ camera, G2D gimbal, battery and shipping out of my own pocket.

Thought that was the end of it all, but the replacement quad.. on its FIRST flight. It suddenly lost power and plummeted to the ground after flying for about 2 minutes. And it was on fire by the time I ran to it. Luckily I managed to pull out the battery in time.

I am extremely upset, considering I am now $1,700 out of pocket with nothing to show for it except a x350 with a charred circuit board and gimbal twisted up from the impact.

I'll be back this weekend to post the full story with pictures.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #8
unitard

I forgot to add that Walkera is now refusing to do anything after I wrote them a very scathing email on my experience.

They are asking for me to courier the quad back to them for their QC department to take a look at it, before they can decide what they can do about the whole state of affairs now.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:36 PM   #9
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by unitard View Post
I forgot to add that Walkera is now refusing to do anything after I wrote them a very scathing email on my experience.

They are asking for me to courier the quad back to them for their QC department to take a look at it, before they can decide what they can do about the whole state of affairs now.
Walkera's response is fairly typical (and most generous)....praticularly since they replaced the first one free.....!

In fact, consider yourself LUCKY they even replaced the first one......the odds of having TWO of the same model malfunction by the same operator under similar conditions are.......well.......you do the math.....

Walk a distance in their shoes........the likelyhood of pilot error is more common than two defective QR350 Pro's back to back..........

AMA 928214
Old 08-04-2014, 03:50 PM   #10
unitard

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
Walkera's response is fairly typical (and most generous)....praticularly since they replaced the first one free.....!

In fact, consider yourself LUCKY they even replaced the first one......the odds of having TWO of the same model malfunction by the same operator under similar conditions are.......well.......you do the math.....

Walk a distance in their shoes........the likelyhood of pilot error is more common than two defective QR350 Pro's back to back..........
I've had a v959 and v911 for a year. I do know how to handle RC aircraft, even in an outdoor environment. I would have assumed, probably as most people would that a quad costing more than a thousand dollars would at least be built a little more reliably and not fail within the first couple flights. I wasn't even trying to fly it aggressively as I was just doing some basic flight movements to test it fresh out of the box.

As you have said, the chances of the same model malfunction by the same operator back to back, the odds should be slim - for a company that has a proper quality control process.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:48 PM   #11
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

"I would have assumed, probably as most people would that a quad costing more than a thousand dollars would at least be built a little more reliably and not fail within the first couple flights."

You're assumption would be pretty accurate......except that the Walkera is not a +$1,000.00 quad (without a GoPro) like it comes stock. And if anyone paid +$1,000.00 for a Walkera 350.....well......enough said!

There are hundreds (maybe more).... users at several forums who have learned the "hard way" (succesfully) with the more advanced Walkera quad OS, firmware, flight control functions, gimbal set-ups and telemetry protocol......just as there are hundreds more who have had nothing but problems learning the protocol configuration and keeping the quad in one piece........however, mulfunctions out of the box, properly set-up initially(based on forum respones), seem to be rare occurences.

I've personally spent over a hundred hours studying the various attributes of the Blade, Walkera, Heli-Max, WL Toys and Traxxas (the more common-less expensive varieties) 180 to 450 size quads...........to date, the only manufacture (brand name) that stands above all others in service, out of the box reliability, durability, KISS intervention, parts availibility and continued operation functionality (again, based on web forum surveys, chat lines and blog's)....has been the E-Flite Blade products......hands down.....not specifically based on sales volume alone, since Blade products are not always readily available globally.

I've owned Traxxas, Blade and Walkera quad products.......the only ones I've kept and continue to fly are Blade's.......1/2 of the reason is because I'm sold on Spektrum...the other 1/2 is due to pure quality and learning curve comfort......!

There are a few guys at this forum (two to be exact) who rave about Walkera.......not many multi rotor guys here. Those same two members (if you read through their threads, have many of the same frustrations with Walkera as everyone else...if you read between the lines, it just comes down to their brand availability and determination to make the junk work. with the knowledge and Know-How they possess (in both cases they are extremely experienced RC guys).

Sorry for the "soap box" ramble.....it's just that there are to many "want-to-bees" out there jumping into the multi-rotor environment without advanced RC flying, building, repairing and common sense skills...making questionable (inexpensive) products, as well as, very high quality products look bad in the face of the public heat the hobby is taking.........and even giving the quality vendors a bad name in the process.........

AMA 928214
Old 08-04-2014, 05:38 PM   #12
Flubber

View Flubber's Gallery8
Club: DE R/C, SKSS

I feel your pain Uni, but at this time the problem is unknown. it could be radio interference caused by the flight area, camera or gimbal controller. I have had problems with each of those causing some weird responses. RF shielding has helped solve some of those problems.

Poor environment problems have grounded several demos with my blade 350. As soon as it flies funny I get it down quickly. Radio interference is the biggest problem with these devices. The Blades antenna is tiny and easily obscured.

The quad is very inexpensive by itself. The price tag that you mention includes a lot of expensive items, so in the end the quad cannot be very expensive and that means that the flight controller cannot be very robust. It is functional at the most effective cost.

The Phantom had a firmware upgrade to keep it from being taken over by a stronger signal, I wonder how the Walkera's firmware handles signals stronger than the transmitter? Are there other radio sources near where you were flying?

These are the real problems that cause flyaways and crashes. The system was working but it was most likely cut off from the transmitter. You go from being in control of an amazing device, to just watching. Breaks your heart.

Terry

Flying is like ... ah well ... I can not think of anything it is like...
Old 08-04-2014, 06:13 PM   #13
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Flubber....

Here's an older bulletin that relates to interference issues:

http://www.bladehelis.com/ProdInfo/F...i_Bulletin.pdf

And a few older threads....:

http://fpvlab.com/forums/archive/ind.../t-20378.html?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2119441

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/mult...o-how-fix.html

http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=564157&page=2

http://goprouser.freeforums.org/blad...ue-t15271.html

As one will notice, the majority of the 350QX interference (Go-Pro or other cam signal) issues have been ironed out and firmware up-dates released since 2013 seem to have covered the bases.

Also, there are a few good links at rcgroups that discuss antenna and chassis mod's that help.

As far as unitard's "flame-up" issue, I seriously doubt reception or factory Q/A-Q/C had any thing to do with that.......

Walkera is still struggling with signal strength and GPS issues......even the latest firmware add-on has not helped 90% of those with that issue.....it's a problem with the hardware quality and user interface, both of which are not soon to change.......

AMA 928214
Old 08-04-2014, 06:19 PM   #14
unitard

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
"I would have assumed, probably as most people would that a quad costing more than a thousand dollars would at least be built a little more reliably and not fail within the first couple flights."

You're assumption would be pretty accurate......except that the Walkera is not a +$1,000.00 quad (without a GoPro) like it comes stock. And if anyone paid +$1,000.00 for a Walkera 350.....well......enough said!

There are hundreds (maybe more).... users at several forums who have learned the "hard way" (succesfully) with the more advanced Walkera quad OS, firmware, flight control functions, gimbal set-ups and telemetry protocol......just as there are hundreds more who have had nothing but problems learning the protocol configuration and keeping the quad in one piece........however, mulfunctions out of the box, properly set-up initially(based on forum respones), seem to be rare occurences.

I've personally spent over a hundred hours studying the various attributes of the Blade, Walkera, Heli-Max, WL Toys and Traxxas (the more common-less expensive varieties) 180 to 450 size quads...........to date, the only manufacture (brand name) that stands above all others in service, out of the box reliability, durability, KISS intervention, parts availibility and continued operation functionality (again, based on web forum surveys, chat lines and blog's)....has been the E-Flite Blade products......hands down.....not specifically based on sales volume alone, since Blade products are not always readily available globally.

I've owned Traxxas, Blade and Walkera quad products.......the only ones I've kept and continue to fly are Blade's.......1/2 of the reason is because I'm sold on Spektrum...the other 1/2 is due to pure quality and learning curve comfort......!

There are a few guys at this forum (two to be exact) who rave about Walkera.......not many multi rotor guys here. Those same two members (if you read through their threads, have many of the same frustrations with Walkera as everyone else...if you read between the lines, it just comes down to their brand availability and determination to make the junk work. with the knowledge and Know-How they possess (in both cases they are extremely experienced RC guys).

Sorry for the "soap box" ramble.....it's just that there are to many "want-to-bees" out there jumping into the multi-rotor environment without advanced RC flying, building, repairing and common sense skills...making questionable (inexpensive) products, as well as, very high quality products look bad in the face of the public heat the hobby is taking.........and even giving the quality vendors a bad name in the process.........

Originally Posted by Flubber View Post
I feel your pain Uni, but at this time the problem is unknown. it could be radio interference caused by the flight area, camera or gimbal controller. I have had problems with each of those causing some weird responses. RF shielding has helped solve some of those problems.

Poor environment problems have grounded several demos with my blade 350. As soon as it flies funny I get it down quickly. Radio interference is the biggest problem with these devices. The Blades antenna is tiny and easily obscured.

The quad is very inexpensive by itself. The price tag that you mention includes a lot of expensive items, so in the end the quad cannot be very expensive and that means that the flight controller cannot be very robust. It is functional at the most effective cost.

The Phantom had a firmware upgrade to keep it from being taken over by a stronger signal, I wonder how the Walkera's firmware handles signals stronger than the transmitter? Are there other radio sources near where you were flying?

These are the real problems that cause flyaways and crashes. The system was working but it was most likely cut off from the transmitter. You go from being in control of an amazing device, to just watching. Breaks your heart.

Pizzano, first of all, thank you for taking the time compose such a long reply. I am very well aware that my one year's ownership of a couple of smaller aircraft is nothing compared to many of the more experienced flyers like you around. The price tag I was referring to, as you should probably be aware of, is the total cost that I had sunk into system, including their original FPV package.

Your suggestion of Blade as a more reliable brand is noted, and I will take a look at them after my very disappointing experience with Walkera, their products and their service.

Flubber, I'm not sure if you are aware of the features of the x350 pro, but it was supposed to have a GPS Return-to-Home feature, similar to the Phantom. This was the 1st feature I tested out both times, in the thought that in case there was a signal dropout, it would still return to the starting location. In the first case, it worked once, and then suddenly decided to do a flyaway without any warning at all. In the second case, it wouldn't have helped. It was hovering under the GPS position hold mode when it suddenly plummeted to the ground.

I was flying in an area where my friends and I had flown other, more entry-level RC aircraft without any flyaways or undue incidents before. At the time, there were no other flyers in the area, so I believe interference should not have been the reason. I believe the second incident had been due to a motor failure due to the way that the quad was wobbling as it plummeted downwards.

What outrages me is not simply the cost of the product that got destroyed just like that. That plays a part of course, but god forbid, had it landed on anyone or anything or had I not reached the device in time to put out the fire, the consequences could have been more serious than just money out of my pocket.

What I am trying to put across is not just that I am upset with my loss of TWO aircraft due to unexplained reasons. I want prospective Walkera buyers to consider this - are the tiny bit of cost savings relative to the more established and reliable brands really worth it?

I will be posting a more detailed writeup of the events as they occurred this weekend, as I sort out some of the info. Till now, Walkera is still insisting to me over email that they test each of their products before shipping them out and that they have not been able to replicate any flyaway issues or otherwise.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:44 PM   #15
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

unitard.....thank you for the acknowledgement.

"What I am trying to put across is not just that I am upset with my loss of TWO aircraft due to unexplained reasons. I want prospective Walkera buyers to consider this - are the tiny bit of cost savings relative to the more established and reliable brands really worth it?"

In one simple word....YES...!

You've hit the nail on the head.......cost is often a good indicator of quality related to most RC products......as well as product service length and manufacture time on the market.

Even though Walkera has been around for ages, the quailty of materials has always been questionable. Like Flubber mentioned, at best "It is functional at the most effective cost."

The multi-rotor environment is polluted with start-up inexpensive "toys" that are marketed to "anyone" to perform "amassingly"........the reality is multi-rotor IS NOT as simple as advertised, or as inexpensive as percieved.........you've just experienced the reality, at a very high price to pay to "learn"......!

AMA 928214
Old 08-04-2014, 11:42 PM   #16
pax1980

Thanks for all support and answers. After days with searching (too large area consiting endless forest and forest) with no results, I gave up and hadde to order a
Then I shoot this video a little while ago: http://youtu.be/jhZsFUp73Uc
I only used the mission planner for all the takes so the drone did all automaticly. Mission planner works soo good. Havent hadde any flyaways or suddently crashes.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:12 AM   #17
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Nice GoPro quality pax......a little deceptive though, less than 20sec. of that vid was shot aerial, quad or otherwise, leaving an edited 1.30min's of hand held or jet ski attached footage.....glad you're having fun..!

AMA 928214
Old 08-08-2014, 08:45 PM   #18
Flubber

View Flubber's Gallery8
Club: DE R/C, SKSS

Hi Uni

I was on your side when wrote about the low cost of the two pieces that are providing all the cool features. They are the flight controller and the gps antenna. The flight controller receives signals from the receiver, barometer and gps antenna to hold a position. The gyros and accelerometer send signals to pulse the motors to maintain level flight. If the radio signal is lost and NO Other signal is received the device should go into to failsafe and RTH. But if a signal interferes with the GPS lock or tells the receiver to lower throttle to minimum, the copter is in trouble.

I have units with telemetry. 915 Mhz radios that allow the flight parameters to be communicated to a ground station. These can also be recorded in the ground station or in the flight controller. I have seen GPS reception change drastically in flight along with other forms of interference. To the transmitter signal, video feed and telemetry. I did not think about this stuff as much before seeing the flight logs.

When I have lost a prop the copter began to yaw quickly. so a motor failure would produce rotation. All my multis wobble a little descending into their own prop wash.

All these things are what I weighed when I wrote about interference. I only suggested this because I do not want this to happen to you again or anyone else. Airplanes are not a good indicator of the interference present in an area. Some receivers will show you with a flashing led how many times the signal was interrupted. Most of these receivers will not accept another signal. This is where the problem may be with the Walkera.

Please don' t think that I am bashing the walkera or picking on you. I am just trying to help solve the puzzle of these incidents. Was the fire caused by the crash or the crash caused by the fire? If a motor was out it would have rotated like you gave full rudder control. Wobbling on descent is caused by prop wash and gain settings. To me it seems like the flight controller reduced the throttle drastically, and the flyaway was because the flight controller changed course and could not be made to change again. That sounds like interference. But only you were there so comments are just to keep you safe as radio interference is like the wind as we don't see it just its effects.

Say safe.

Terry

Flying is like ... ah well ... I can not think of anything it is like...

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Multi-Rotors